Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

Am I terrible for just using chopped garlic from a jar?

Of course not. I think for a lot of people chopping stuff up and cooking it is fun that's why people discuss it like this. I love chopping up onions as well (I genuinely have no idea why).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Cooking's a necessary evil for me so anything that makes it as simple as possible is a good thing in my book.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pablo Bluth posted:

Not if you like it no. I find it entirely fine for most uses.

E: Also I like my apples peeled with cheese so I just grab a lump of cheese and a knife with it.

Unless you can sell me a cheese lathe.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I'm even more basic, I use that there garlic paste what comes in the tubes and is 60p odd

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Unless you can sell me a cheese lathe.
Closest to that would be a cheese plane I think.

Not that they're very close other than both being woodworking tools.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'd maybe spring for the napolina stuff at least, some of the tube stuff doesn't taste of much.

There's also that weird one that comes out like... garlic mayonnaise almost, and it doesn't fry properly.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I prefer cleaning the garlic press to trying to clean a grater. If you pop a whole clove in with the skin still on it still crushes fine, you get all the delicious pulp out and you can just peel the skin out of the press in one piece. Easy.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm going to buy an apple lathe so I can just eat the peel.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

floofyscorp posted:

I prefer cleaning the garlic press to trying to clean a grater.

I have to this day never figured out how to clean a sieve. Do you soak it for ages?

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Not if you like it no. I find it entirely fine for most uses.

E: Also I like my apples peeled with cheese so I just grab a lump of cheese and a knife with it.

How do you get the cheese sharp enough?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jippa posted:

I love chopping up onions as well (I genuinely have no idea why).

There's definitely something cathartic about the process of chopping an onion. Especially since peeling them is so much more efficient and pleasant than peeling just about anything else.

I don't know if onions are getting stronger or my tolerance has dropped but I can't get through an onion without some eye pain these days.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jippa posted:

I have to this day never figured out how to clean a sieve. Do you soak it for ages?

Bristle brush under the tap normally works, depends what you're putting through it?

Lobster God posted:

Old farmhouse cheddar :dadjoke:

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Jippa posted:

Run water through it, scrub with a bristle brush or sponge?

I have one of those things that's a sponge on the end of a hollow handle full of dishsoap and it's great. I do most of the washing up in the house(husband does the cooking) so I have Opinions about it.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Jippa posted:

You can never fully clean a sieve, I just buy a new one most of the time. They're like what, 79p in Tesco?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I turn it upside down and run it under the tap on full blast which usually picks up most of the gunk.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

crispix posted:

I'm even more basic, I use that there garlic paste what comes in the tubes and is 60p odd
We have the tube of garlic, and crushed garlic in a jar, but also a garlic press we use fairly often.

Garlic is good

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Some of that Bourdain quote is expert opinions on cooking from a master chef, and some of it is "i put years of hard work into getting my garlic chopping degree at garlic college & now everyones like "oh use a jar","pre chopped" gently caress off"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

I'm going to buy an apple lathe so I can just eat the peel.

Bramley apple peels and sugar (preferably made by shaking them together in a plastic bag) is one of the finest treats known to humanity and is reason enough to make an apple pie/crumble even *without* getting to eat the end product.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Dell_Zincht posted:

You can never fully clean a sieve, I just buy a new one most of the time. They're like what, 79p in Tesco?

What, my parents have got one sieve from the 1970s still and mine is easily over a decade now.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

The Question IRL posted:

So I saw this tweet being liked by a few journalists I follow on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/MarkPaulTimes/status/1251979157552205824

And reading the linked article, the Swedish Epidemiologist just sounds mad. Even without having to listen to the video of what he's saying to see if he's being taken out of context, just saying that Covid 19 is pretty mild and the fatality rate is probably only 0.1% just seems completely at odds with the whole worlds experience.

Then researching how Sweden is doing led me to this article.

https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/swedish-coronavirus-no-lockdown-model-proves-lethal-by-hans-bergstrom-2020-04

This quote was probably the most telling.

I say this because I've seen a few people touting Sweden as some model that we should be copying and that Herd Immunity over lockdown is the way to go.
But what came out of the news this week is that Herd Immunity may not work. Or at least, that just because you get it, that you don't become immune to it, which seemed to be the basis for the UK's initial strategy.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/no-evidence-people-who-have-survived-covid-19-have-immunity-who-994757.html

Wouldn't that be the pinnacle of irony? BoJo gets Covid 19, is hospitalized by it, survives it. Goes back to work, then gets it again.
As far as I know, there's absolutely no reason to believe reinfections are possible on any significant scale within the short amount of time we've had. There might be one or two freak cases, or they might just be false negatives on tests, but either way it's irrelevant to 99.999% of the population. The real problem is if the immunity is temporary, and it goes away after a year or so (before we have a vaccine).

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

What the gently caress are you people putting through your sieves that you can't wash off?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Jippa posted:

Of course not. I think for a lot of people chopping stuff up and cooking it is fun that's why people discuss it like this. I love chopping up onions as well (I genuinely have no idea why).
I love chopping things up. Except garlic.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

The solution is the same as the solution to many domestic cleaning problems - old toothbrushes. Or, if you're a soft southern Sonicare owner like me, new toothbrushes bought at the pound shop. They're fantastic for stuff like graters, sieves, and anything with weird hard-to-reach places because their entire design purpose is cleaning food debris out of hard-to-reach places. Also useful for cleaning grout, sealant, and motorbike chains (although being incredibly lazy I have a ten quid Lidl electric toothbrush I use for the latter).

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Lobster God posted:

Was surprised to find that this guy has not made a knife out of cheese yet.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

floofyscorp posted:

What the gently caress are you people putting through your sieves that you can't wash off?

After boiling peeled potatoes and straining them there ends up being mushy potato on the sieve. And if you use a sponge on the sieve it shreds the sponge.

I just chuck it in the dishwasher, same with my cheese grater.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Cerv posted:

he should’ve hired price harry to do their media strategy

What's this about?

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I always press my garlic, it’s satisfying to do and gives a more even flavour than chopping imo. I bought a potato ricer purely because it’s a huge garlic press and the idea of pressing a potato is fun (playdough for adults!), but I’ve made mashed potato exactly 0 times since buying it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

floofyscorp posted:

Yeah what, unless you're using it to sub in for the shower drain what the hell are you doing to them???

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

floofyscorp posted:

It tends to be stuff like spinach. I think I press down on it because it doesn't drain well and it sticks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jippa posted:

It tends to be stuff like spinach. I think I press down on it because it doesn't drain well and it sticks.

Wouldn't you use a colander for that?

Sieve is for separating fine particles suspended in a fluid (or de-lumping flour) whereas a colander is for separating water from large solid objects.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Microplane or grate or slice garlic, presses are just messy and awkward.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Coohoolin posted:

What's this about?

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1252009109446176769?s=19

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I can taste a lot more garlic in the meal that I made using easy methods that I enjoy, than the meal I gave up on after half an hour with a bulb of garlic and a razor to satisfy some gatekeeping oval office that I'll never meet

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Can you craft things with an apple lathe?

And what are the thread's thoughts on spiralizers? I have one, but it's stupidly large for what it does, and I've only used it a few times.

I crush garlic with the handle of a large all-metal knife. (It is, in fact, my do everything in the kitchen knife)

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 20, 2020

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

floofyscorp posted:

Believe it or not my wife buys and then sieves chunky vegetable soup as she "doesn't like chunks".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dell_Zincht posted:

Believe it or not my wife buys and then sieves chunky vegetable soup as she "doesn't like chunks".

Do they not... sell non chunky vegetable soup?

I get the appeal as chunky soup always puts me in mind of vomit but that seems like a lot of effort.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Jippa posted:

I use a colander for things like spinach/salad and potato, but if you're using a sieve for chunkier things and you end up with chunky bits stuck to it that won't scrub off with a bristly brush just pick them out by hand tbh. And immediately rinse anything that's been in contact with potato or rice because when those dry out they become a pain in the rear end to remove - that's when the hard plastic scrapy bit of my spongehandle comes into play, or failing that, just my nails.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Tarnop posted:

I can taste a lot more garlic in the meal that I made using easy methods that I enjoy, than the meal I gave up on after half an hour with a bulb of garlic and a razor to satisfy some gatekeeping oval office that I'll never meet

If you're on about Anthony Bourdain i'd be very surprised if you ever met him, bloke's dead.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Dell_Zincht posted:

Blender?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dell_Zincht posted:

If you're on about Anthony Bourdain i'd be very surprised if you ever met him, bloke's dead.

Depending on your views on the afterlife that doesn't necessarily preclude meeting him, and going to hell just to yell at some opinionated chef seems like as good a motivation as any.