Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Dear lord. Unlocking fuel generators seems.... difficult.

100 heavy modular frames : Expensive but OK.

100 computers? Each computer needs 10 circuit boards? Each circuit board uses 4 plastic? I'll need 1000 circuit boards total, in addition to 5200 screws and 1800 plastic for the computers themselves? JEEZ GAME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Just do some exploring, you'll get 100 computers from crashed drop pods easily, that's what I did. Or use tickets.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Or set up production lines (even if they're not optimized) and go exploring for an hour.and come back later. Production is kind of the point of the game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah one of the weird things about that phase of the game is that it's very difficult to maintain two manufacturer factories on coal power. Once you have fuel up and running, maintaining your heavy modular frame and computer factories isn't that bad but the transition sucks.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Joda posted:

Or set up production lines (even if they're not optimized) and go exploring for an hour.and come back later. Production is kind of the point of the game.

Definitely. But sometimes it just makes sense to leapfrog the tech a little bit to get access to tools that'll help make the production line easier to build.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

I built a self-contained computer building and fed it with entirely fresh resource nodes. Once my giant box of computers fills up I'll splice the ingots and such back into my main bus

khy
Aug 15, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah one of the weird things about that phase of the game is that it's very difficult to maintain two manufacturer factories on coal power. Once you have fuel up and running, maintaining your heavy modular frame and computer factories isn't that bad but the transition sucks.

I had to juggle but once I got my fuel up holy poo poo is it wonderful. But my factory is so massive and sprawls out over such a huge area I'm honestly starting to feel just a tiny bit overwhelmed with the amount of complexity going on here. Also I want to find crash sites without looking at a 3rd party map so I can explore myself, but it's frustrating as hell when the object scanner's range is pitifully tiny and also sites still show up once I loot them. But damnit I WANT COMPACTED COAL!

khy fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 20, 2020

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

khy posted:

I had to juggle but once I got my fuel up holy poo poo is it wonderful. But my factory is so massive and sprawls out over such a huge area I'm honestly starting to feel just a tiny bit overwhelmed with the amount of complexity going on here. Also I want to find crash sites without looking at a 3rd party map so I can explore myself, but it's frustrating as hell when the object scanner's range is pitifully tiny and also sites still show up once I loot them. But damnit I WANT COMPACTED COAL!

I use a 3rd party map and gotta say, even knowing where the crash sites are, they're challenging. A lot of em are in places that Really Suck and require climbing tall things, fighting powerful monsters, and/or dealing with poison gas (either from the flowers you can pipe bomb or the blob insect-den-looking-things that you can't pipe bomb away.) Nevermind some of em require ludicrous poo poo like turbo motors or being hooked up to hundreds of MW worth of power to open. It's actually made me come around on parachutes, cuz the easiest way to get to a lot of these is to plop down a couple biofuel gens, slam em full of leaves, and use em to power a hypertube cannon to just throw me high into the air in the general direction I wanna go. The parachute comes in when you wanna land without splattering into the terrain. Obviously you can use a jetpack instead but that's a lot further into the tech tree than parachutes.

If you're really averse to using a third party map, try the parachutes + hypertube cannon method to get a nice Eye In The Sky view.

Some tips I've picked up I wish I'd known earlier:

* If you only need a LITTLE power somewhere (like to run a hypertube cannon or open a crashed ship that requires a reasonable amount of power) you can just slap down biofuel burners and shove leaves (or wood, or or or) in to get the required power for the necessary time period and hoover it all back up later. Or just leave it if you're a litterbug.

* Similarly if you've just built a nice new coal power plant that your existing grid would fail to powerup (cuz of the draw of the miners and water pumps) you can just slap down biofuel burners full of leaves to kickstart the process.

* You can drop more than one portable miner on a node, so that if you say find a sulfur node and wanna be able to pick up more than 100 sulfur per trip to the node, just throw down more portable miners on the same node. It's not like they're expensive or use power.

* There's really no need to ever carry around portable miners. You can slap down an equipment workshop, make em on-site and hoover back up the equipment workshop when you're done. The workshop even requires the same poo poo as the miners, which is also the same poo poo (plates & rods!) the walkways need.

* Walkways are faster and more convenient than foundations for trying to navigate problematically vertical terrain. And they're made from plates and rods that you already otherwise should be carrying around anyway.

* Another option for dealing with problematically vertical terrain is to throw down those lookout towers and just make a series of foundations jutting out of rockfaces that ultimately support a lookout tower to "staircase" up that way.

* Stackable conveyor poles and storage containers have ladders on the side and can similarly be used as "ladders" in a pinch.

* If you've brought a vehicle along on an expedition out into the wilds, remember you can hoover it up too and slap it back down when/where convenient. That said, cars can survive some silly falls in this and if if rolls onto the roof just hoover it up and plop it back down. This also repairs it so that's how you "fix" a damaged car too.

* Poison gas in your way? No gas mask? No problem just huff medicinal inhalers and tank it!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I always bring two stacks of iron rods and iron plates when exploring, being able to slap down a workshop anywhere means you can start out an outpost as long as you have resources nearby. I also bring six stacks of concrete, just to allow for wild bridges as required. Industrial storage containers have become my go-to for vertical ladders, they're much faster to build than stackable conveyor poles, and have a large platform on top so less risk of accidents.
Even then, I enjoy trying out the jumping puzzles around the world occasionally.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

chairface posted:

dealing with poison gas (either from the flowers you can pipe bomb or the blob insect-den-looking-things that you can't pipe bomb away.)
wait, what?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
The flowers that slowly stand up and once standing emit poison gas can be blown up to be removed. The gas emitters part of the terrain cannot.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

... This doesn't change much but I'd given up when chainsaws didn't do the trick.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Those gas rocks are a buzz-killing gently caress and should be removable with upgraded explosives

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I wouldn't mind if there were specific slots for the gas mask and radiation suit so you only needed to feed them filters. Take your pick of bladerunners or jetpack, fine, I can most deal with that and there's reasons and tradeoffs for both. Putting on a gas mask is just such pointless busywork I just ignore gassy areas.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

zedprime posted:

I wouldn't mind if there were specific slots for the gas mask and radiation suit so you only needed to feed them filters. Take your pick of bladerunners or jetpack, fine, I can most deal with that and there's reasons and tradeoffs for both. Putting on a gas mask is just such pointless busywork I just ignore gassy areas.

saaame. the worst part is when you put on the gas mask, do your thing, head home - say, by yeet cannon - and oh forgot to re-equip my jetpack time to redo the last five minutes :argh:

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
As for getting hard drives or climbing in general, don't overlook belts. They can be a really quick way to get up a hill.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
No matter how much concrete I bring when exploring, it's never enough

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Limestone is everywhere. Very little reason not to drop a biofuel gen and a miner and concrete maker everywhere. Top it up with biomass in exchange for concrete.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

zedprime posted:

Limestone is everywhere. Very little reason not to drop a biofuel gen and a miner and concrete maker everywhere. Top it up with biomass in exchange for concrete.

You're like johnny appleseed with mining setups. I'd much rather have it all in one place, take a few trips if needed. But what I really want is delivery drones like factorio to keep me topped up with select items.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Fun fact the MAM is global. If you’re out exploring and have a drive just plop a second MAM down and shove it in. Disassemble the mam and keep exploring. Repeat every 10m so you don’t have to spend an extra couple of hours decrypting your drives when you get back to base.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

TK-42-1 posted:

Fun fact the MAM is global. If you’re out exploring and have a drive just plop a second MAM down and shove it in. Disassemble the mam and keep exploring. Repeat every 10m so you don’t have to spend an extra couple of hours decrypting your drives when you get back to base.

This is also helpful for having the entire group decide on what to choose when playing multiplayer

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

chairface posted:

That said, cars can survive some silly falls in this and if if rolls onto the roof just hoover it up and plop it back down.

You can just press E to flip a vehicle that's on it's roof.

My gasmask gripe is that they don't work when you're driving.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

LifeSunDeath posted:

You're like johnny appleseed with mining setups. I'd much rather have it all in one place, take a few trips if needed. But what I really want is delivery drones like factorio to keep me topped up with select items.
They did not give me footstep decals so the world will know my footprint as the haphazard industrial machinery scattered in my wake.

But seriously 95% of what you want to build exploring (or even outposting) is mono raw material. Only getting concrete and plates from a home base but they are made of the most common bullshit on the map seems limiting. Plenty of reason to centralize building of stuff by the time you are making motors and turbomotors.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

TK-42-1 posted:

My doppelganger!

Content:

I'm also starting to pump oil and think about making the switch to fuel and it killed my momentum. I feel like I need a solid uninterrupted 3 or 4 hours to make time switch lest I forget everything I was working on if I leave it for a few days.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

The radar tower is completely useless compared to cannon-yeeting isn't it

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The radar tower would make sense if there were objects you had to track, or there was fog-of-war (exploitation?) on the map. As it is, it's mostly just a taller tower than the small one.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
The radar tower should permanently mark all resources in its reach, including slugs and hard drives with an upgrade.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

The radar tower should track spiders' movement so my satellite can laser strike them from orbit.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Have they said when this is coming to steam yet?

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
This is the latest I've heard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmKMv6SZJ5M TLDW: "Sometime in May, folks".

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
There’s something immensely satisfying about nailing one of those scuttly little fucks with a 2-foot long lance of superheated rebar. I love how they made even the ‘basic and lovely pistol’ gun utterly terrifying once you figure it out a bit.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://www.eventproductions.london/360tours/SatisfactoryV1/

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Is it worth building a main bus? I don't have a great deal of time to play, so I've been chipping away at this game very slowly, and finally reached the point where I'd want to make heavy modular frames. I'm thinking it's time to untangle all these noodles. Never played Factorio before so I'm not really well-versed, and I see a lot of people saying a main bus isn't really worth it, just build stuff on site instead.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Hungry posted:

Is it worth building a main bus? I don't have a great deal of time to play, so I've been chipping away at this game very slowly, and finally reached the point where I'd want to make heavy modular frames. I'm thinking it's time to untangle all these noodles. Never played Factorio before so I'm not really well-versed, and I see a lot of people saying a main bus isn't really worth it, just build stuff on site instead.

You've never played factorio but you know about main buses? Yeah other than making a massive nuclear plant, I don't think you'd ever need a main bus. In factorio it was important cause resources ran out, so you needed a good way to pipe in new nodes when you got them. In satisfactory you never run out, so it's more about efficiency, which isn't super important as you can get all the research done without anything remotely like a main bus.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

At least the low tier products you definitely don't want to bus: Ores, plates, rods, screws, wire, and similar are needed in much larger quantities than belts can practically move long distances. It might work for middle tier products, i.e. you should have facilities that take raw materials in and spit middle tier products out.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

You've never played factorio but you know about main buses?

I watched some youtube videos!

Also, thank you.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Hungry posted:

I watched some youtube videos!

Also, thank you.

I'm just laughing cause I did a full playthrough of early access factorio, had no idea what I was doing, then came back years later and looked up tips and people were going on and on about main buses...my mind was blown. I still don't know how to fully utilize them, I built some but never got my splitters to work efficiently enough..it was just a mess, so I went back to spaghetti and drones.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

I only bus raw ingredients, one per column. That way as I go I can upgrade belts and stack more. Under the factory floor is a sort of return bus that brings finished products back to my storage area.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Buses would useful if the amount of materials needed made absolutely any sense. But when something needs 2 plates and 20 boxes of screws, you're going to get backed up. I doubt this game will ever be advanced enough to make any other build style viable besides making a big sprawled out contraption that makes every single part needed for what you need in the end. There are lots of cool tools available in this game but they are absolutely worthless because the game is balanced to only work with one play style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Every time I think about how nice it would be to train in all my raw resources to a central location, I remember that connecting assemblers/refiners that need two different raw ingredients will still be a spaghettifest