Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Either that or weirdos that get off on readings that let them feel superior to other people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Necrothatcher posted:

Sure, when Hojo is about to spill the beans on Cloud and the ghosts pop up and drag him away.
The Looney toons physical comedy parts are hardly casting the ghosts in a bad light.

If I was gonna make the argument I would probably look at when they badger Aerith. She's suddenly temporarily demure and in need of help and much more in line with something like making fun of fans for wanting their imagined waifu from 97.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Basically I think the Whispers represent the creators working out those feelings of conflict between faithfulness to the old and the freedom to create something new and bringing players along for the ride because maybe players have those feelings, too. Maybe one could read that as self-indulgent but what is a remake this lavish if not inevitably self-indulgent?

homeless snail posted:

Either that or weirdos that get off on readings that let them feel superior to other people

Yeah, there's also that.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CarlCX posted:

To be fair, if you were a Final Fantasy fan who played through the entire FFXIII trilogy i can get thinking FF's designers hate you
Lightning Returns is love. Not killing god and moving to France would have been the mean spirited ending instead.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Harrow posted:

Basically I think the Whispers represent the creators working out those feelings of conflict between faithfulness to the old and the freedom to create something new and bringing players along for the ride because maybe players have those feelings, too. Maybe one could read that as self-indulgent but what is a remake this lavish if not inevitably self-indulgent?

That is more or less what my reading is/has been. The Whispers are, in the meta sense, foremost a pressure to meet expectation and change nothing. FF7 is a formative experience by now for many of the developers working on its remake, and there had to have been a huge amount of pressure to not mess with something that was already good. It isn't necessarily good or bad, intrinsically, to attempt to change a beloved classic when taking another run at it, but it is incredibly risky and has very little precedent. If you're into anime circles you can look at the reception of Rebuild of Evangelion to get a recent heat check on how something like FF7R could go, but other than that, updates to classics - updates that range from wholesale re-tellings of the original with significant departures, to updates that are chiefly cosmetic in nature that leave almost everything from the source intact - can charitably be described as "contentious." While that pressure to leave well enough alone certainly comes from a variety of sources, not the least of which are fans of the original work, the Whispers and their apparent destruction are not intended and have never been intended as a take-that to anybody, least of all the people who buy the dang product.

This point was made already, and it's that this game is a recreation/"remake" of feelings attached to Final Fantasy VII - at the end of Midgar in the original, back in 1997, we were left bewildered by the events that had just happened and with speculation on what the gently caress was gonna happen next. At the end of Midgar in 2020, even fans of the original are left bewildered by the events that have just happened and with speculation on what the gently caress is going to happen next. Like, in the interview on the SE website, Kitase explicitly states that the two mantras during the development process were "... 'what are the essential parts of the original' and 'why did people respond to the original the way they did?'" This game appears to be an ambitious answer to both questions.

Confrontational or combative takes that try and make outright "THIS GAME SAYS 'gently caress YOU' TO MANCHILDREN FANS OF THE ORIGINAL!!" are clickbait in the same vein as every other combative, confrontational take that has plagued fiction discourse in any medium for the last five years. Look at how much time and attention was spent re-creating the characters as they appeared in the '97 original, stayed true to the characterization of the '97 original, at how many twist and swerves would matter significantly more for those familiar with the '97 original, at the direction of the soundtrack to practically kneel at the altar of the '97 original -- this game is a love letter. You don't work that hard for that long under lovely conditions, working to faithfully recreate 99% of the original game's first 20%, to arrive at an end-point of "and in a SUBVERSIVE move we're going to put down our own consumer base!!"

Fair or not that's the buzzword that gets trotted out by those trying to generate attention for their sophomoric takes - "subversive." FF7R is not subversive in any way, shape, or form - it does shockingly little even to subvert the expectation of what is supposed to happen in a game called Final Fantasy VII until the ending cutscene, more or less. I'd just stop paying attention to takes where this is the tack they're taking.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jim Sterling is a loving moron fascist-cosplaying idiot and we shouldn't be listening to him at all.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Mass Effect 2 approach where who lives is based on how many fetch quests you did for each party member.

They better not follow suit on how they end the series. Christ I'm still pissed.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Jim Sterling is a loving moron fascist-cosplaying idiot and we shouldn't be listening to him at all.

Isn't he one of the few explicitly left-wing pro-employee and pro-consumer voices in gaming?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This is the guy who had a dictator gimmick for a while, right?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

He makes fun of incels and other misogynist manchildren though

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Good on him for that.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

This is the guy who had a dictator gimmick for a while, right?

.... I don't think so?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:shrug: Maybe I was thinking of someone else then.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

He did have a dictator gimmick for a while but he swapped to a carnival and sometimes wrestler aesthetic years ago. At the time his whole thing was to play into this jokey "my opinion is the only one that matters, I'm the greatest, you all bow down to me" thing in the Jimquisition videos specifically (not in his other videos), but he switched to the carnival aesthetic specifically because the whole "I'm a video games dictator" thing was increasingly unfunny because of, well, real life.

Also his video on the FF7 Remake is really positive on it, for what it's worth. He's not accusing it of false advertising--he's arguing against that point, for the most part. He really loved it and loves how surprising the ending was, especially because he knows we can trust Square to commit to going crazy with it, unlike other expectation-subverting media like, say, The Last Jedi (which he loved but felt angry that Disney went back on it in Rise of Skywalker).

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
.....man you took some real hard swings for something you seemed not even vaguely sure of.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Jim Sterling is a really left dude who had a schtick where he made fun of fascists by dressing up as a ridiculous caricature. He dropped it after fascism became popular again and jokes unfortunately became real.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

zedprime posted:

Lightning Returns is love. Not killing god and moving to France would have been the mean spirited ending instead.

It definitely seems like that ending was 100% designed to be the creative director speaking directly to the audience and telling us that's the only part of a faithful FF7 Remake you're going to get.

They knew full well this wasn't actually a remake and deliberately mislabeled it for sales because "FF7-2: Cloud Returns" wouldn't sell enough copies to justify the cost.

Someone is mad almost nobody played the FF13 sequel games, so they're just going to use the FF7 characters and setting to retell Lightning Returns.

Actively hating your audience works great when you're Yoko Taro telling an appropriate story of loss. It does not work for the FF team selling me anime fights.

EDIT: to be clear. I expect full blown FF13 sequel crystal dreamer, shattered timelines, wibbly-wobbly timey-wibey ball story telling to take over now that have three parallel timelines in play and Fate has been shown to be a physical thing you can just beat when you disagree with it.

And if it isn't, then the entire ending of the Remake is literally a one long drug addled dream Disney dream sequence totally unrelated to the rest of the story. It's a little hard to tell the of story people trying to save a planet from an alien parasite when your characters are able to beat up the very fabric of reality itself to force it to bend to their will. It just doesn't make a lick of sense

Xaiter fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 20, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fair enough. Youtube video game people are all lumped under awful garbage in my mind, I guess.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Jim can be a butt sometimes but otherwise he's fine.

I dont really expect there to be more whispers or a timeline plot moving forward. I feel like the ending was more to show that they're changing things rather then just go while hog into alternate timelines.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Yeah Jim's actually a decent bloke with pretty strong moral standards when comes to companies abusing their employees. Half his videos are him pointing out how often that happens and how there's no excuse for that poo poo in the pursuit of turning a profit. He also regularly takes the piss out of himself and works as a professional wrestling heel.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Harrow posted:

He did have a dictator gimmick for a while but he swapped to a carnival and sometimes wrestler aesthetic years ago. At the time his whole thing was to play into this jokey "my opinion is the only one that matters, I'm the greatest, you all bow down to me" thing in the Jimquisition videos specifically (not in his other videos), but he switched to the carnival aesthetic specifically because the whole "I'm a video games dictator" thing was increasingly unfunny because of, well, real life.

Also his video on the FF7 Remake is really positive on it, for what it's worth. He's not accusing it of false advertising--he's arguing against that point, for the most part. He really loved it and loves how surprising the ending was, especially because he knows we can trust Square to commit to going crazy with it, unlike other expectation-subverting media like, say, The Last Jedi (which he loved but felt angry that Disney went back on it in Rise of Skywalker).

I was not specifically referencing Jim Sterling with my post, just the idea that "subversive" rarely means what talking-head YouTube personalities think it means. (In fact I did not know Sterling had produced a review with the word "subversive" in its title.) To be "subversive" is to be disruptive and inflammatory, by definition; to "subvert expectations" literally means to undermine them or actively work to destroy those expectations. FF7R is and does absolutely none of those things, and it's frustrating that in our current discourse that anything that isn't 100% on brand or meeting expectation is termed subversive. It's a buzzword. And given its connotative meaning since the release of the work you mentioned (The Last Jedi) and the associated contentiousness that comes along with that, tossing out that buzzword is an intentional choice to draw attention to your opinion in a specific way. For what it's worth I am not sure I have a concrete opinion on Sterling himself, though.

Xaiter posted:

It definitely seems like that ending was 100% designed to be the creative director speaking directly to the audience and telling us that's the only part of a faithful FF7 Remake you're going to get.

They knew full well this wasn't actually a remake and deliberately mislabeled it for sales because "FF7-2: Cloud Returns" wouldn't sell enough copies to justify the cost.

Someone is mad almost nobody played the FF13 sequel games, so they're just going to use the FF7 characters and setting to retell Lightning Returns.

Actively hating your audience works great when you're Yoko Taro telling an appropriate story of loss. It does not work for the FF team selling me anime fights.

Like, this take. This is a bad take.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Xaiter posted:

What if the ending is instead intended to resolve a conflict the creators themselves felt between a faithful remake and telling the story in a way they think is better? What if they looked at the story they told in 1997, wanted badly to make a better version of it, but knew that to do so, they'd have to throw faithfulness to the original away? The Whispers' role is in literalizing that conflict. They're not a mean-spirited caricature of purist fans and defeating them at the end isn't a "gently caress you" to fans who wanted a straight-up remake. It's a choice between chasing a risky unknown in the hopes of something even greater versus accepting the already-known path--and resolving that the freedom to chase a better future is worth the risk of things turning out worse.

I can understand being bummed out that the rest of the remake isn't going to be the faithful updating of the story that we thought it would be--I still feel somewhat disappointed about that myself--but there's no false advertising here. A remake can make something very differently than the original version and still be a remake.

And I also don't think there's any spite, malice, or audience hatred, either. I mean, even if we do go so far as to accept that the Whispers are a stand-in for the audience, look at how they're portrayed, especially towards the end. They look sad. They do so many things with this sort of gentle care, like when they save Aerith from falling or revive Barret. When they lash out at the end to protect themselves, it's only because the characters attacked them, and even then it's only out of a desperation to ensure that the planet is saved. They're not wrong or evil, they just are, and they're a strong metaphor for the conflicted feelings one might have choosing freedom and risk over safety and accepting "good enough."

Xaiter posted:

And if it isn't, then the entire ending of the Remake is literally a one long drug addled dream Disney dream sequence totally unrelated to the rest of the story. It's a little hard to tell the of story people trying to save a planet from an alien parasite when your characters are able to beat up the very fabric of reality itself to force it to bend to their will. It just doesn't make a lick of sense

The Whispers aren't the fabric of reality or literal destiny, though. They're a force manifested by the planet just like the Weapons are much later on--Red XIII tells you that himself. They're a living, or pseudo-living, thing that can be fought and defeated. They might metaphorically represent fate or destiny, but they're not literally a cosmological force.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

guts and bolts posted:

To be "subversive" is to be disruptive and inflammatory, by definition; to "subvert expectations" literally means to undermine them or actively work to destroy those expectations. FF7R is and does absolutely none of those things.

???

It obviously does!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

I was not specifically referencing Jim Sterling with my post, just the idea that "subversive" rarely means what talking-head YouTube personalities think it means.

Oh sorry, my post was in response to Pollyanna's post about Jim Sterling's dictator thing and how nobody should ever pay attention to him, not the idea of subversion.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Xaiter posted:

It's ok to be anxious about further sequels getting Kingdom Hearted but the take that the ending was calling shots for things to get real weird seems disingenuous or else dense. We don't spend the whole game beating back dementors like they wanted to change everything at once. We see them for a few key scenarios:

Missed connections (brow beating Aerith till she meets Cloud)
Different mission rosters (beating up Jessie so Cloud and Tifa go on the mission)
Major plot point resolution (pillar is forced to happen)
Major character life and death (Barret revived)

So we can expect both 1:1 recreations of a lot of settings while also getting a few wildcards now that destiny is beat up but I don't think it's going to be particularly FF7 Returns, Clouds Wild Ride

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pollyanna posted:

Jim is by far the furthest left leaning game critique / journalist the industry has and has consistently made fun of incels, gamergate, and the far right in their attempt to normalize fascist ideology (this venn diagram is just a circle)

edit; nevermind this has been pointed out

double edit;

I understand where people are coming from when they make dumb jokes about "the ghosts are fans!" and they originally got a chuckle out of me because it was hilarious "no way this was on the mind of the developers when it was made" but once this turned into something way more serious it lost it's humor. I just wanna know how they "aggressively pointed this out" in the game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

zedprime posted:

So we can expect both 1:1 recreations of a lot of settings while also getting a few wildcards now that destiny is beat up but I don't think it's going to be particularly FF7 Returns, Clouds Wild Ride

To be fair, a lot of this depends on what's really going on with Zack at the end and what they do with that in part 2. Is it an alternate universe and, if so, are we going to spend any time exploring it? Is it a retcon of our own history? If so, what's going to be done with the conflict between where Cloud is now and the fact that he wouldn't be there if Zack had survived?

Was it even real at all? Were we just seeing a "what could have been if the Whispers weren't there to force things along a specific path" flash-sideways or something? I doubt this reading but, hey, it's entirely possible. Maybe they showed us that different Stamp just to highlight that what we're seeing isn't the world we've been playing in. (Again I don't actually think this one but I wouldn't mind if it was true, either.)

We're not going to know until part 2 comes out, probably, unless they start going on about alternate universes in the preview/trailer stuff for part 2. Either way it'll be a couple years. Which I suppose means we should expect a shitload of speculation from here onward and plenty of dissecting a handful of scenes for visual clues.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Necrothatcher posted:

???

It obviously does!

Maybe we disagree based on connotation. FF7R isn't trying to thumb its nose at you or your expectations and honestly doesn't seem to be actively trying to subvert anything; the point of a subversive work is the inflammatory nature, much of the time. (Truly subversive work, not "lol I changed Star Wars some"). FF7R is trying to create a new set of expectations. It's a matter of tone and goal - regardless of how you feel about The Last Jedi, it's almost undeniable to suggest that narrative decisions were made for the express purpose of being shocking and often times little else, and that the anticipated reaction to those decisions was almost exactly what the director and creative team actually got, for better or for worse.

For literally 90% or more of its runtime, FF7R is a borderline slavish recreation and nearly 1:1 remake of the original. The only thing that could even remotely be termed as not meeting expectation is the ending cutscene, and even that remains to be seen in terms of its narrative reach and scope, precisely. FF7R's creative team did not make decisions with the end goal of those decisions being viewed as contentious and controversial, though maybe they will be seen as such - it was in service to telling a different story.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 20, 2020

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Harrow posted:

I can understand being bummed out that the rest of the remake isn't going to be the faithful updating of the story that we thought it would be--I still feel somewhat disappointed about that myself--but there's no false advertising here. A remake can make something very differently than the original version and still be a remake.

A remake typically doesn't start with the original story already happened, it is the written destiny of the world, and the goal of this story is to prevent the original story from happening.

If that counts as a remake, then so does the JJ Star Trek. I am certain the Trekkie community might not agree with that one.

I think you can see why a reasonable person might believe this and feel tricked by the label

Harrow posted:

The Whispers aren't the fabric of reality or literal destiny, though. They're a force manifested by the planet just like the Weapons are much later on--Red XIII tells you that himself. They're a living, or pseudo-living, thing that can be fought and defeated. They might metaphorically represent fate or destiny, but they're not literally a cosmological force.

...except they are? I mean, they're literally the Arbiters of Fate. Slaying then retroactively changes history. New timelines are created. If murdering them actually creates new timelines and alters history, then yes! They are the literal physical representation of fate itself as a cosmic force in the universe! If they weren't, why would beating them up create new timelines and change the past?

Harrow posted:

And I also don't think there's any spite, malice, or audience hatred, either. I mean, even if we do go so far as to accept that the Whispers are a stand-in for the audience, look at how they're portrayed, especially towards the end. They look sad. They do so many things with this sort of gentle care, like when they save Aerith from falling or revive Barret. When they lash out at the end to protect themselves, it's only because the characters attacked them, and even then it's only out of a desperation to ensure that the planet is saved. They're not wrong or evil, they just are, and they're a strong metaphor for the conflicted feelings one might have choosing freedom and risk over safety and accepting "good enough."

And this is cool and all. But it's part of the original story. It's part of the new timey-wimey narrative meant to wrap the original story. And if it isn't the focus of the story going ahead, there is a massive downgrade in the scope of the conflict and the stakes are massively lowered post that ending. We're going from the very fate of the universe as time is altered to just worrying Jenova and the Planet.

It's a new story about how fate and destiny and parallel timelines and fighting for control of reality from fate. Which wasn't the original story. Not even close!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I wish people would do away with incurious statements like "contempt for the audience" because it's about as unhelpful for interpreting media as it is unhealthy to the mental state of the reader. Nobody's out to get you, the developers don't hate their fans, they don't even know who you are. It's nothing personal, bitch.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There's exactly one prediction I feel 100% confident of: there will be significant diversions from the plot of the original Final Fantasy VII going forward. That's all we can be sure of.

I'm basing that on looking at what the Whispers did in part 1. They never prevented small diversions, detours, or even outright rewritten sections that didn't get in the way of the main plot's overall direction. The Chapter 4 side mission with Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge up to the plate, Roche's whole involvement, Wedge's rear end problems, all those side quests Cloud went on, the entirely rewritten Wall Market, the detour down to the secret Shinra lab under Sector 7--the Whispers didn't interfere with those one tiny bit even though they were very different from the original game. That's because none of those prevented the main story from happening the way it was "supposed" to--they were just detours or changed details.

The points where the Whispers interfered were major changes, like Cloud not going on the Reactor 5 bombing mission (and thus never meeting Aerith), Cloud killing Reno, the party being on time to stop the Sector 7 plate from falling, Hojo triggering Cloud's complete dissociation way too early, or Sephiroth killing Barret. Now that the Whispers are gone, all we know for sure is that changes of that magnitude are now on the table. That's the only certainty going forward.

Everything else is either implication or speculation. Different universes? Retcons? "What could have been" flash-sideways? An eventual Cloud vs. Zack Buster Sword duel? A weird Cloud-Zack-Aerith-Tifa love quadrangle that resolves in Cloud/Zack and Aerith/Tifa hooking up and everyone's happy? Maybe! Who knows! It's all possible now.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Harrow posted:

To be fair, a lot of this depends on what's really going on with Zack at the end and what they do with that in part 2. Is it an alternate universe and, if so, are we going to spend any time exploring it? Is it a retcon of our own history? If so, what's going to be done with the conflict between where Cloud is now and the fact that he wouldn't be there if Zack had survived?

Was it even real at all? Were we just seeing a "what could have been if the Whispers weren't there to force things along a specific path" flash-sideways or something? I doubt this reading but, hey, it's entirely possible. Maybe they showed us that different Stamp just to highlight that what we're seeing isn't the world we've been playing in. (Again I don't actually think this one but I wouldn't mind if it was true, either.)

We're not going to know until part 2 comes out, probably, unless they start going on about alternate universes in the preview/trailer stuff for part 2. Either way it'll be a couple years. Which I suppose means we should expect a shitload of speculation from here onward and plenty of dissecting a handful of scenes for visual clues.
I guess where I'm coming at it, the worst case is we get FF7 Birth By Sleep 358/2 Unchained and it's still told in the fashion of FF7 anecdotes like dolphin jumping and going on a date with Barrett. The game went out of its way to let you fight Hell House, Eligor, Swordipede, and the brain teapot. Even if the plot ends up on the cutting room floor I trust the moments will still be there.

Xaiter posted:

If that counts as a remake, then so does the JJ Star Trek. I am certain the Trekkie community might not agree with that one.
I've never really taken the temperature on it beside some Trekkies really having it out for it, but Abrams Star Trek is 100% a remake.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

I wish people would do away with incurious statements like "contempt for the audience" because it's about as unhelpful for interpreting media as it is unhealthy to the mental state of the reader. Nobody's out to get you, the developers don't hate their fans, they don't even know who you are. It's nothing personal, bitch.

Well, barring the pointless ad hominem appended to the end, I think this is basically a good thing to keep in the back of one's mind. People, especially fans, will read maliciousness where none exists, and some of this is a direct result of being a fan - depending on how deeply invested you are, your fandom feels like part of your identity, and so anything less than stellar representations or recreations of that thing for which you are a fanatic is a PERSONAL ATTACK!! or some such.

Way, way fewer creatives have contempt for their own audience than have been suggested by your favorite YouTubers or angry reviewers. Mostly they're just trying to make something cool and get people to buy it, and because their livelihood depends on people buying it they probably don't hate the people who buy a lot of it. I don't understand how this became the default assumption, lately, but it's pretty ridiculous to think that like half or more of all works created were made by people who loving detest the people buying their poo poo. That's a bizarre-o land worldview to have.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X1dRLpFgFw

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Xaiter posted:

I mean, if nothing else, the second one is pretty much a remake (a much worse one) of The Wrath of Khan despite having a lot of extremely different events. There are plenty of things that critics and creators call "remakes" that aren't even remotely "faithful" and in fact just take the bones of the original thing and make something very different out of them.

The conflict here is that Square portrayed this as one kind of remake but we're getting a different kind of remake. It's still something that can be fairly called a remake.

Xaiter posted:

...except they are? I mean, they're literally the Arbiters of Fate. Slaying then retroactively changes history. New timelines are created. If murdering them actually creates new timelines and alters history, then yes! They are the literal physical representation of fate itself as a cosmic force in the universe! If they weren't, why would beating them up create new timelines and change the past?

They're literally fate in the way that, like, the legal system is literally the law. They act to preserve what the planet thinks is the correct course forward and in their absence things go differently.

I'll go with you as far as accepting that they seem to exist outside of the linear flow of time, to the point that defeating them in the present seems to remove them from the past (or at least the recent past) as well, hence Zack's survival. They went out of their way to make sure we saw Whispers floating all around Zack's final stand, implying that if they aren't there, it's going to go differently. So once they're not there, it does go differently.

But again, what we're seeing isn't a grand deity of fate--and remember that "fate" is just the word Red XIII uses to describe the planet's will. They're enforcers of the way the planet wants things to go based, presumably, on the lifestream/the planet's will being able to see the future. With the enforcers gone, the planet can still have its will--that thing Red XIII called "fate" is still there--the Whispers can just no longer enforce it.

Xaiter posted:

And this is cool and all. But it's part of the original story. It's part of the new timey-wimey narrative meant to wrap the original story. And if it isn't the focus of the story going ahead, there is a massive downgrade in the scope of the conflict and the stakes are massively lowered post that ending. We're going from the very fate of the universe as time is altered to just worrying Jenova and the Planet.

It's a new story about how fate and destiny and parallel timelines and fighting for control of reality from fate. Which wasn't the original story. Not even close!

Again, maybe it is, maybe it isn't. We really have no idea where this is going from here, and I'm on record in this thread saying that if this turns into Kingdom Hearts instead of a retelling (even a very different retelling) of Final Fantasy VII, yeah, I'm gonna be annoyed by that.

Hell, for all we know the big difference now is that Jenova isn't just a Thing From Beyond the Stars, but also a Thing From Beyond Time, and the whole reason she and Sephiroth seem to be aware of what the original future had in store for them is that she exists sort of beyond time. Maybe the big difference with Jenova would be that the party has to go to the Edge of Creation/the Singularity/whatever and kill her outside of time itself to prevent anything like this from ever happening again--I'd say that's a pretty reasonable escalation from beating up the Time Cops. There's a lot of room for Jenova to be portrayed as an even bigger, more alien, more Elder God-like threat than she was in the original, y'know? She could be some straight-up Lovecraftian poo poo and go full Bloodborne on us and still be faithful to the idea of Jenova from the original.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 20, 2020

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Wow, I take it back. I suck rear end. For someone who has played as much of this game as I have I should've registered that immediately.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xaiter posted:

A remake typically doesn't start with the original story already happened, it is the written destiny of the world, and the goal of this story is to prevent the original story from happening.

you know that the JJ star trek starts off with time shenanigans that preserves the original timeline and that the trekkie community was happy about that, they hated the JJ star trek for different reasons lmao

:hmmyes: which could actually be comparable to FF7 since the original timeline is preserved

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

If this turns into kingdom hearts at least we get to see Donald and Goofy again

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

guts and bolts posted:

Wow, I take it back. I suck rear end. For someone who has played as much of this game as I have I should've registered that immediately.

That and First Class rear end in a top hat just before it were top-notch lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Caidin posted:

That and First Class rear end in a top hat just before it were top-notch lines.

See I would've gotten First Class rear end in a top hat right away. I've been looking for ways to seamlessly work "Nailed it, I know. Thank you." into a post or even casual conversation and just haven't had the opportunity. "Lab rat dog" is going to be harder to make land, but I'll be on the lookout.

Not registering Reno is simply inexcusable. Reno's even cooler in FF7R than he was in FF7!