Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

sweet thursday posted:

I mean I get it, I light buildings ablaze to show my appreciation for firefighters.

Much like firefighters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

sweet thursday posted:

I mean I get it, I light buildings ablaze to show my appreciation for firefighters.

Personally, I like setting off congratulatory fireworks in drought-impacted forests.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Cacafuego posted:

You don’t need to worry, with the amount of people involved, on these and every drug or device trial there is absolutely no way of “hiding” or “missing” reports of an adverse reaction DURING THE TRIAL.

Thanks for posting this. Could you elaborate how long it usually takes to get a vaccine to trial stage and how long a reliable trial lasts for? Is 18 months at all realistic?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Firefighters are far more likely to catch the roni in their EMS role than in a burning forest. Start a fire, save a firefighter!

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

sweet thursday posted:

Some people actually believe that this pandemic, which shut the world down, will actually be over in a few weeks or less. Like drat pack it in history, we're back to normal!

Just-World Fallacy. The worst and even just the bad case scenarios are unthinkable and unfair and therefore they will not happen.

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.
We have a discount chain up here in New England that is automatically tacking on a 2% surcharge to all purchases, the proceeds of which go towards a pay bump for the staff that are putting themselves at risk by manning the store (and well-deserved, I think). They treat it like a large-party gratuity; tacked on automatically, but you can ask to have it removed. The guy in front of me was lambasting the poor cashier over a 40-cent surcharge on a $20 purchase. I pulled a buck out of my pocket and said, “Take it off his purchase; I’ll cover it.” The guy slunk off like the limp dick that he was.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

ilmucche posted:

Love to have allergy season turning me into a sneezing mess for a half hour every morning at the moment. When I do unfortunately have to leave the house I'm praying I don't sneeze and get beat up by an angry mob

I wake up every morning thinking I have the roni. Runny nose, coughing, sore throat, taste is off, eyes burning. I hate it. Constantly taking my temp because gently caress you allergies.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

DamnCanadian posted:

We have a discount chain up here in New England that is automatically tacking on a 2% surcharge to all purchases, the proceeds of which go towards a pay bump for the staff that are putting themselves at risk by manning the store (and well-deserved, I think). They treat it like a large-party gratuity; tacked on automatically, but you can ask to have it removed. The guy in front of me was lambasting the poor cashier over a 40-cent surcharge on a $20 purchase. I pulled a buck out of my pocket and said, “Take it off his purchase; I’ll cover it.” The guy slunk off like the limp dick that he was.

40 cent surcharge? THIS IS AMERICA

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

sweet thursday posted:

Some people actually believe that this pandemic, which shut the world down, will actually be over in a few weeks or less. Like drat pack it in history, we're back to normal!

My attention span cant handle this being talked about this long. I was ready to move onto the next new thing 3 weeks ago. Like I'm tired of the ghana coffin guys meme and that started AFTER corona.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Posting on this forum about how opening things up is stupid is going to accomplish nothing because it's going to happen, whether any of us want it to or not.

Sometimes people just need to learn the hard way. It sucks.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Blaise330 posted:

My attention span cant handle this being talked about this long. I was ready to move onto the next new thing 3 weeks ago. Like I'm tired of the ghana coffin guys meme and that started AFTER corona.

between that and tiger king i'm ready to embrace roni death

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mnoba posted:

between that and tiger king i'm ready to embrace roni death

Is it a good thing that I haven't seen Tiger King yet?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

tiger king is peak white male and after that you can watch mcmillions for another dose

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

DamnCanadian posted:

and then everyone in the store applauded

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
like tiger king says a lot about the chud psyche, its a deep dive, im pretty sure "jeff" is the ur-chud

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

I said come in! posted:

It's fine. Dunno how much you value hipster cred but no harm in watching Popular Thing if you wanna.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

shovelbum posted:

tiger king is peak white male and after that you can watch mcmillions for another dose
Can I kinkshame this obvious instance of sado-masichism?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

shovelbum posted:

like tiger king says a lot about the chud psyche, its a deep dive, im pretty sure "jeff" is the ur-chud

It's really wild how much of the root of the whole thing was a bunch of creepy sex pests.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

https://twitter.com/rynprry/status/1252032055585787908?s=21

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

wilderthanmild posted:

It's really wild how much of the root of the whole thing was a bunch of creepy sex pests.
Also that sex pests don’t have to be straight

Tiger King and McMillions are both great watches though

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Anyone who wants a haircut should be allowed to get one so they can look nice in the coffin.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
"How many buckets of blood would you trade for your monthly haircut?"

'Whose blood?'

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
One of the dumbest things is that whenever I see someone saying what they think should open up, it's whatever is directly inconveniencing them.

We're they planning on getting Lasik? Oh then eye doctors!

Do they hate coloring their hair at home! Hair dressers!

Do they go out to eat a lot? Restaurants should be first!

Of course if they work in any of those. That's what should be first.

Also, Ohio seems to still be going forward with opening May 1. Nice going from arguably one of the best responses to the worst. The governor is still nebulous on what that means, but from his remarks I feel like it's starting by lifting the stay at home order.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I feel like everyone who cant finish this quarantine were kids who got to open their presents on Christmas Eve by nagging their parents enough.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Hopper posted:

Thanks for posting this. Could you elaborate how long it usually takes to get a vaccine to trial stage and how long a reliable trial lasts for? Is 18 months at all realistic?

Please excuse the wall of text! I really only know the US system and each country typically has their own, however, I believe the EU has one that encompasses all EU countries, but I'm not sure. You didn't ask for the full explanation, but I'll put a tl;dr at the bottom. Work is not very busy at the moment and I'm bored, so I can go into a bit of detail here. Note that this info involves the creation of a vaccine, not a treatment. There are several vaccines under development now, and Gilead has a treatment in phase III trials at the moment (remdesivir), which, if it's successful, would be a reactive approach to the virus response as a way to treat people after they have contracted the virus. This is likely closer to approval than a vaccine, which is a proactive approach, or a preventative. We'll likely have an approved treatment for people with COVID quicker than we will have a vaccine.

Most clinical trials - drugs and vaccines, I'm a bit unsure on the length of device trials - take place in multiple stages and can last up to 10 years or more. I'll focus on vaccines here, but in general, drug trials are the same as vaccines. They start with pre-clinical work - testing compounds with computers (in silico), much like Folding@home and such to see if they can find targets for the vaccine to bind to. They move on to animal testing (something I'm glad I was never involved in/had to work on). If it appears that it will work and is not causing bad adverse responses in animals, it moves to human testing (in vivo).

In the case of a vaccine, you want to introduce something into the body that either contains or mimics part of the pathogen/virus, like a certain protein expressed on it's surface, or something like that. It's possible that it includes a less virulent, genetically engineered version of the same virus (like some flu vaccines). They design the vaccine to "look like" the virus to your body's immune system, but doesn't actually have the genetic code to trigger the really bad symptoms. This allows the body's innate immune system to ramp up and "recognize" this target in the future. You may experience redness/swelling/pain at the site of the vaccine as your immune system generates the white blood cells to attack the introduced vaccine particles. There may be systemic reactions as your immune system kicks in - headache, myalgia (muscle pain), tiredness, fever - these are all reactions of your body to the vaccine itself and are normal.

In the case of a vaccine, sometimes, certain people for whatever reason, have a bad adverse reaction to the vaccine that is so rare it is not caught in the trials. I assume this is where the anti-vaxxer stuff started - yes, some vaccines can cause damage, but it's not the vaccine itself, it's not "chemicals" in the vaccine, it's most likely the person's immune response to the vaccine that causes the damage.

I've worked on a few flu vaccine trials and I've been assigned to monitor one of the COVID vaccine trials. The trials start in phase I, which are safety trials and typically enroll a small number of healthy people to determine if the vaccine itself is safe and/or what adverse reactions there will be. We as trial monitors ensure that the doctor's office collects all the necessary safety data and reports it appropriately and on time. Like I said before, I have no stake in the drug itself, so IDGAF if it makes it to market, I just want to ensure any adverse reactions are appropriately reported. There may be more than one phase I trial and they can last for varying lengths, a few months or up to a year sometimes. If the vaccine is determined to be safe (guidelines usually determined by a safety committee), it goes on to phase II trials.

In phase II, they open the trial up to more people. In a drug trial, this will usually include people who have a disease to see if the drug actually works as well as assess safety in a larger group. However, in a vaccine trial in phase II, they will likely enroll people who are tested before hand to see if they have serologic evidence of previous infection (the antibody tests that you may see in the news). Presence of a certain level of antibodies to the virus in your system will indicate that you've had exposure to it before and they will usually not allow them in the trial, because the idea is to get people who haven't had the virus before to give them the vaccine and see if their antibody titers (levels of antibody) in your blood have risen after you've received the trial vaccine and comparing the levels to someone who received the placebo. If they are raised in the person who received the experimental vaccine, but not in the person who got the placebo, indicates that it theoretically could work, because it's not ethical to give you the virus to see if it works. Read about the US Army's yellow fever and cholera trials in the early 1900s if you want to see how far ethics in clinical research has come. There may be a few phase II trials of varying lengths, up to a year or more. If the trial vaccine is shown to raise your antibodies to the certain particle that they've put in the vaccine and it's considered safe, it goes on to phase III.

In phase III, they open the trial up to hundreds or thousands of people to continue to see if the vaccine is safe, monitor the antibody levels and maybe they're trying it at different times - say a booster shot, or different dosages of the vaccine. Are all those safe? Do the antibody levels respond better to a certain dosage level? What is the best time for a booster shot - 30 days/60 days/1 year/etc? This is simplified, but you get the idea. There are often multiple phase III trials and they can last years - often checking on the long term health of trial subjects - did they actually get the virus years after they were given the vaccine?

At this point, if the vaccine is safe and actually works, the FDA reviews everything. They may make the pharma company do more trials if they're not happy with the results. If the FDA is satisfied, the vaccine is approved and it can go on the market. There are often phase IV trials (post-marketing trials) to determine long term effectiveness and safety that may run for years. This process can take 10 years or more. In the case of the COVID vaccine, there's never been more need or pressure to get a treatment and/or a vaccine approved in such a short amount of time. Ebola was a recent one that used the "[url=]compassionate use[/url]" rule and the COVID vaccine is likely entering this as well. It speeds everything up to try to get an approved vaccine/drug out there ASAP. I thought Zika did as well, but I can't find anything about an approved Zika vaccine. Phase I trials started in late 2016 and there are several companies with Zika vaccines in phase II now. We got lucky with the Ebola vaccine and there was prior research into it, but they knocked that one out in about 6 months.

tl;dr: Drug/vaccine trials can be long and they can fail, or be found not to be effective. Hopefully we'll find one that works safely soon. I can't really tell you how long it will take, but 18 months would be a pretty good guess at the moment given how quickly we need it and how much man/womanpower is being dedicated to finding something that will work. Hopefully, we'll find a treatment that works that can hold us over until the actual vaccine makes it to the public.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Animal testing is where we catch the "oh it makes the reaction to the actual virus WORSE" stuff?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Shaocaholica posted:

Anyone who wants a haircut should be allowed to get one so they can look nice in the coffin.

Lucky thing I got a haircut the weekend before lockdowns started in my area.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

teardrop posted:

There are no documented cases, just a couple of facts: sick people leave virus on surfaces, virus on surfaces can be transferred to hands and then face in sufficient quantities to infect. That is why everyone keeps saying “don’t touch your face,” surface transmission, not Sir Coronalot kissing your hand. Nobody has documented “aha this box of rice-a-roni is a RNA match for the strain you just caught,” that’s really unlikely to document, they are just seeing healthy people go into a grocery store and then they get coronavirus.

Bleach is cheap. Waiting 72 hours is easy. If I can’t wait, I wipe the package with dilute bleach.

This is the kinda anecdotal poo poo that kills me.

Like just stop. If you wanna be obsessive fine, but acting like it's the difference between life and death is just as unhelpful as the other misinformation that gets passed around.

I had to tell a friend to not use soap on produce...people are going to get sick with this pseudo-science poo poo

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

I had to tell a friend to not use soap on produce...people are going to get sick with this pseudo-science poo poo

thank you for trying anyway

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Cockmaster posted:

Lucky thing I got a haircut the weekend before lockdowns started in my area.

literally left work early to get mine cut on the monday before the tuesday i got laid off on :)

getting a little shaggy but who cares? there's nowhere to be

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I just got bummed out realizing that season 2 of I Think You Should Leave is probably getting delayed

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

America! America!
God shed His grace on thee
Till selfish gain no longer stain,
The banner of the free!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

shovelbum posted:

Animal testing is where we catch the "oh it makes the reaction to the actual virus WORSE" stuff?

Didnt all of the drug companies bypass the animal testing phase? I know a few went straight to human testing and now have to wait about 13 more months to see if their human test subjects die horribly lol.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

GolfHole posted:

thank you for trying anyway

it's easy when you can say WATCH THIS VIDEO YOU IDIOT

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/verify/verify-dont-use-soap-on-your-produce/507-8a1d61f8-8a85-4f9f-89cd-1d14c102358c

or like any other hundred examples

but a fuckin doctor shared that smart move in the first place that went viral, so case in point right

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

most people dont know what the word porous even means, we should probably be happy they are aware of soap at all

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

GolfHole posted:

most people dont know what the word porous even means, we should probably be happy they are aware of soap at all

i live in a country that made eating tide pods famous, nothing surprises me anymore

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Lol if you don't bleach the stuff children have been touching with their diseased hands and faces

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Cacafuego posted:

Please excuse the wall of text! I really only know the US system and each country typically has their own, however, I believe the EU has one that encompasses all EU countries, but I'm not sure. You didn't ask for the full explanation, but I'll put a tl;dr at the bottom.ed to finding something that will work.

Thanks! I appreciate the effortpost and read the entire wall of text.
So if I understood right, 18 months is feasible but not ideal in terms of checking safety thoroughly.
Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Hopper posted:

Thanks! I appreciate the effortpost and read the entire wall of text.
So if I understood right, 18 months is feasible but not ideal in terms of checking safety thoroughly.
Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Yep, 12 months seems a bit too short, and 18 months sounds possible from what I'm hearing, however, there's no long term info on the effects. If it's approved, will it stop you from getting COVID in the next 2 years, maybe. Will you have chronic <fill in the blank> disease 10 years from now due to the vaccine, likely not, but also maybe. We won't know until enough time passes.

It could also be that we approve whatever works a little bit just to have anything to throw at it. We may end up approving a vaccine that is not very effective, but cuts the infection rate by 25% instead of a better candidate that is coming down the line that cuts it by 80% or something. It's good that there are multiple ones currently being tested now.