Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Invest in the barrel making industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
No, crude prices do not include barrels

Koalas March posted:

Someone tell me how to buy 100 barrels of oil

at this point literally just have 100 empty barrels

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dr. Derek posted:

Apparently Saudi arabia had forced prices down by about 60$ in an attempt to pressure Russia and combined with the dramatic drop in demand for oil and gasoline, things just kinda cratered.

Once we all get the jokes out of our systems (and in all fairness, watching oil companies fortunes go up in smoke is hilarious), I wonder what's going to happen with Russia. Oil was the only thing they had.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
So the natural gas industry is toast right?

Russia is so hosed

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Once we all get the jokes out of our systems (and in all fairness, watching oil companies fortunes go up in smoke is hilarious), I wonder what's going to happen with Russia. Oil was the only thing they had.

This is domestic only, I mean it doesn't bode well for the global oil market, but this is specifically domestic market

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Syfe posted:

I get the feeling now that work from home practices were being fought against by big oil because they want people to travel to work.

(even before covid my coworkers and I were fighting for the right to work from home, even not as a standard, and there was never any real reason why no, except that not everybody can work from home, so it's unfair. Says the boss who works from home every now and then)

If your commute is roughly average, then working from home will typically reduce your carbon footprint by a drastically larger amount than buying a fully electric vehicle. So, yeah, everyone working from home would be pretty bad for the fossil fuel industry in general.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Random Stranger posted:

Texas is dependent on oil revenues as well.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Random Stranger posted:

they've weathered (and helped cause!) price crashes before although, uh, maybe not of this magnitude :laffo:

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Where are the pickup sites for our free CovidCrude? I've got some flower pots I can clear out.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
nice av dude /\

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

My corner gas station has started giving out free tanks of gas with a purchase of a large soda.

Honestly won't be shocked if something like that starts happening as refineries start running as hard as they can just to clear up oil storage space.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Food $400
Utilities $85
Clothing $40
Barrels $1600
Oil -$100

Somreone who is good at the economy help, My family is drowning in sludge

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

nerox posted:

Going to spend all my stimulus check on 1200 barrels of oil.

no spend it on Iraqi Dinars, Donnie's gonna make them be worth a trillion trillion US$ any day now!

(he gonna do it by crashing the $'s buying power)

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Random Stranger posted:

My corner gas station has started giving out free tanks of gas with a purchase of a large soda.

Honestly won't be shocked if something like that starts happening as refineries start running as hard as they can just to clear up oil storage space.

No matter how cheap gas gets at some point, basically now, you hit max saturation and people just can't consume/store more and that backfills up through the entire supply chain if it goes on long enough.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
So. Is Saudi Arabia hosed or Mega hosed or absolutely disastrously irrecoverably hosed?

Should I start getting ready for societal collapse?

C411
Jun 22, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Another well aged tweet and it only took 6 days

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1250223610867986432

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Just think, if we'd been relying on atomic power right now we'd have all these radioactive atoms piling up in barrels and no where to keep them. Really puts it into perspective how safe oil actually is.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
No no nothing is hosed. WTI is domestic, and because of the glut there's few possibilities for buyers to take care of storage and ownership. Foreign oil prices are bumpy but nowhere as hosed.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

They just won't buy more, oil is expensive to refine. even lighter crudes are expensive to refine

Al-Saqr posted:

So. Is Saudi Arabia hosed or Mega hosed or absolutely disastrously irrecoverably hosed?

Should I start getting ready for societal collapse?

unless saudi arabia is now located in texas, no, no more so than normal

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Catalyst-proof posted:

No no nothing is hosed. WTI is domestic, and because of the glut there's few possibilities for buyers to take care of storage and ownership. Foreign oil prices are bumpy but nowhere as hosed.

Well, lots is hosed, but yeah this is a domestic issue. We're pretty much the only ones using WTI. Brent isn't diving like this because there's more international demand and more storage.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
nm

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/miguelmarquez/status/1252294829154938881

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
and even June is still out at $20 or so (what May was before today)

This was the triple whammy.

A) Contracts close TOMORROW
B ) All major storage areas ARE FULL.
C) May Demand is not going to be significantly higher (we're at a 25 year low in demand) because of the 'Rona.

The people with June contracts are probably panicking, but hoping that they can sell everyone on "BUT THE ECONOMY!!!!!!" by June

(edit: The May Contract was around $18 this morning. Made me wonder why all the rats are only fleeing the ship today, it ws pretty obvious that this squeeze was going to happen. Wonder if the Oil Industry will be joining in the astroturfed protests soon)

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Pervis posted:

2 trillion over a decade was the "tell the CBO they have to believe our lies about how much growth this will cause" number, basically a lie. In practice the CBO was projecting 1T+/year deficits for a decade and a cost of 4-5+T for that tax cut until the "temporary" tax changes for individuals wears off in 2028.. and that was before the economy imploded.

Also a lot of the stuff in there to prevent the tax cut from going over 2 trillion (like the SALT deduction) the democrats are busy campaigning to repeal right now, at a higher priority than the pandemic

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Fritz the Horse posted:

It's a good thing ol' Donnie made a deal last week with Russia and the Saudis to decrease production and prop up American oil/fracking companies with higher oil prices!

Didn't trump buy millions of barrels of oil from american oil companies that they are supposedly keeping in the ground?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

IPlayVideoGames posted:

Trump tripped and fell on the GAS PRICE DOWN lever and knocked it all the way, didnt he?

Motherfucker snapped it off

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Oh look the Y'all Qaeda showed up

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
A totally normal country.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Oil is now at Zero a barrel. Holy poo poo.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/investing/premarket-stocks-trading/index.html

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Hope they have the Guard standing around or its going to get really fuckin ugly

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i assume this is harrisburg.

Edit. Yep. gently caress i hate my state.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Me and the airsoft boys are very mad we can't eat at Ruby Tuesdays

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Charliegrs posted:

Oil is now at Zero a barrel. Holy poo poo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_class

-$37/barrel!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I’mma make a bold statement and say that nobody who wears a skull bandanna is “unaffiliated”

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

The SituAsian posted:

-$37/barrel!

I'm sorry capitalism is a caricature of itself now. Were all living in the poverty action version of Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You're on delay, it's -$40/bbl

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Jesus tapdancing christ
https://twitter.com/natalie_allison/status/1252277972901527555

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/1252286549775048704

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
If oil is in the negative does that mean gas will be negative? Will they pay us to fill up our tanks?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Something is extremely wrong with these peoples' brain chemistry and they really ought to be locked away in a nice hospital until they've proven that they can function in a society again. Right wing media has poisoned as many brains as lead in this loving country and we are completely hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Why is this happening so rapidly? This seems like an eminently foreseeable problem that could have been priced in gradually. Is it just that commodities traders are just starting to notice it?