Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

God you're reminding me how much fun the Rufus fight is.
Never really understood the whole coins being shot into lasers or smoke though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
The most frustrating thing about this game's plot diverging from the original and hinting at alternate timelines and such is how good it could have been as a faithful remake of the original game. It's been mentioned many times how faithfully many aspects of the original game were recreated from the various weird monsters (like Hell House, Swordipede, or Brainpot) to different locales (like the Sector 7 weapon shop having that mini shooting range, or the big robot hands in the collapsed expressway). And with how well the essence of all the characters was captured there's a lot of confidence that Nomura & co. will deliver a satisfying story that's different from the original yet maintains the same spirit. And while I understand that sentiment, my strongest feelings are the opposite: for a team that gets what FF7 was all about, it's a shame that they're not going to take what was already established and just build on it by fleshing out locations and adding to the world.

I was really skeptical about how good this game would be because all I wanted for a long time was a game with better characters models and a cleaned up translation. I thought changing up the gameplay and other game mechanics was going too far, but after beating the game I found that I enjoyed the battle system for the most part and that my enjoyment of the game stemmed more from the presentation (story, music, characters) than the underlying gameplay. I think purism over the remake (i.e. if it wasn't in the original then it shouldn't be in this) is misguided and my opinion was definitely changed by playing the game.

That said, I think the argument that it's misleading to call this game a remake is also correct. I think that this game is too meta with respect to the original and influenced too much by the influence that the original game had on the fanbase's collective consciousness. If the Whispers never existed and the game just played out in slightly different ways resulting in the same overall story then that would be one thing, but the way Sephiroth is just dumped on you in Chapter 2, the way the Whispers intervene to keep the plot lined up with the original, and how you see glimpses of plot beats from the original during the big battle in Chapter 18 takes it out of the realm of "remake" and into something else entirely. If a remade game is one that could have taken the place of the original then this isn't a remake because it wouldn't exist without the original. Calling it a remake sets certain expectations and I think that changing major story events (up to and including Aerith's death as is being speculated) doesn't reconcile with that. How different can a game be before it's no longer a remake and a different game entirely?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Is anyone willing to defend the ghosts on a simple storytelling level?

We can go for days on what they signify, but I think they're objectively terrible writing.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I don't like them because they killed Wedge.

...I think they did at least

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

What's more powerful than a bullet? A coin flying as fast as a bullet.

I think that one is firmly in "it's cool, so let's do it" territory, where things that don't make sense as weapons obviously make better weapons that actual weapons. Like frying pans. Or folding chairs.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

We can go for days on what they signify, but I think they're objectively terrible writing.

They were pretty fun

Figuring out their deal was pretty intriguing since they stood out so much in a game that was otherwise a very faithful adaptation of FF7.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

I think their inclusion is decent throughout most of the game but that some elements of their depiction--especially their music--make them too obviously out-of-context. And then I think the ending feels rushed and clumsy. Not "rushed" in the sense of "the creators were running out of time and threw it together," but more that the pacing just rushed through what could have been a pretty impactful moment. If I could change that, I'd say ditch the whole Drum segment of Shinra Tower and instead use that much time to turn the Singularity portion into a dungeon instead of a big setpiece boss fight. That way the characters would have a lot more time to talk about what's happening, what it means to them, and why they're resolving to go through with it. That'd solve a lot of the pacing issues, I think.

I also think we can't really talk about them as a storytelling element without also discussing their metaphorical, thematic, and emotional role (or whether or not they signify something, essentially). That's as much a part of their role in the story as the literal events of the scenes they appear in are.

But then again I also think there's no such thing as objectivity in art so even if I don't like a thing I'm liable to write paragraphs in disagreement of anyone calling something "objectively" anything.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I keep wondering how the Turks working relationship with the party is gonna turn out because unless Aerith resorts to shielding Reno with her face I can't think of a decent reason the original three wouldn't try to twist his head off.

Like Cloud was cool with trying to split Reno like a watermelon from the first page here, they hate each other's guts.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Caidin posted:

I keep wondering how the Turks working relationship with the party is gonna turn out because unless Aerith resorts to shielding Reno with her face I can't think of a decent reason the original three wouldn't try to twist his head off.

Like Cloud was cool with trying to split Reno like a watermelon from the first page here, they hate each other's guts.

Yeah and that was before Reno fought almost to the death to commit mass murder for his employer. I can't imagine Cloud's opinion of him has improved any.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Necrothatcher posted:

Sure -- they're fun bit of mystery and a nod to the meta element of remaking an old game -- an outside force "meddling" with a story that's already been told. The irony here is that phrases like "objectively terrible writing" are, in fact, objectively meaningless.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Sure -- they're fun bit of mystery and a nod to the meta-element of remaking an old game. The irony here is that phrases like "objectively terrible writing" are, in fact, objectively meaningless.

That's fair enough.

I still think they suck though. It's not like I'm not down with metafictional storytelling - MGS2 is one of my favorite games ever. But it feels really clumsy and half-assed here.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Necrothatcher posted:

Yeah, sure, the Lifestream is ghost-home so the planet uses ghosts to defend itself. gently caress should they be, tiny Weapons?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Golden Goat posted:

The coins are there, to me, to give a little flavor to Rufus' character. He's logical and cool, but he's not above taking calculated risks. He's got coins, sure, but he also has enough mastery (free time?) to do that awesome finger-rolling trick with them, and you get the distinct impression when fighting him that he isn't the type to leave the outcome entirely to chance. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, and all that. It's a gamble, but one where he obviously has an advantage, not unlike if you moseyed up to a poker table against what you thought was a group of your peers, only one of them busts out a one-handed Vegas shuffle. At that point you're thinking Oh, poo poo, what ELSE does he have up his sleeve?

It doesn't hurt that the only other character with coins as part of his image is Chocobo Sam, who explicitly cheats with a same-sided coin, thereby assuring himself of the outcome and making the actual flip entirely a charade.

Another good thing - a good use of narrative integration to sell the fight to the player effectively. Rufus is, mechanically, extremely easy to beat (even on Hard) once you understand This One Trick That Shinra Executives Absolutely Hate, but because of how he is presented and how he actually fights - with relentless pressure on Cloud, first in a 2-on-1 fight and then with erratic, rapid movement - it took me beating him like the the third or fourth time before I actually realized, to myself, that he wasn't very hard. I continued to feel like I was on the back foot. I spent a lot of time mulling over my materia setup for Rufus on Hard, even. It's crazy.

Harrow posted:

Yeah and that was before Reno fought almost to the death to commit mass murder for his employer. I can't imagine Cloud's opinion of him has improved any.

On the other hand, Cloud has proven extremely sympathetic toward those at Shinra who are just doing their jobs, and FF7R is the most clear this narrative has ever been about exactly what Reno and Rude think of their work: they are just doing their jobs. It's obviously more complicated than that, given that Rude dropped the loving plate on Sector 7, but I don't think Cloud will be as outwardly murderous toward Reno in the future. Some of that also owes to his gradual decline in ruthlessness throughout FF7R, too - remember that he also was totally down with bisecting Johnny because he's "a talker." I'd expect Reno and the Turks to stay more threatening for a longer period of time, and fleshed out into a true rival to the party, but ultimately we'll wind up either neutral or even friendly toward Reno, Rude, and Elena, if not Tseng.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 20, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

That's fair enough.

I still think they suck though.

I mean they do suck in some ways. They gently caress up the pacing in a few places, and the final confrontation with them feels all hosed up as far as pacing and, like, clearly communicating what's going on goes. I think what they thematically represent helps improve their inclusion for me, but I do have to acknowledge that they feel very (maybe intentionally?) out of place in more than a couple of their scenes.

FWIW I wouldn't have included them in the initial meeting with Aerith after Reactor 1 blows up. I thought they kinda hosed up that scene. Then again I think Chapter 2 in general is really uneven. I like how it lets you explore the devastation after the reactor blows, but I think it goes way too hard on showing you a lot of Sephiroth way too early, and again the Whispers sort of gently caress up Aerith's first meeting with Cloud in a way I didn't like. Luckily both of those things got a lot better from there.

I do really think they should've held back on showing you Sephiroth's face until, like, halfway through the game, maybe Cloud's dream sequence after falling through Aerith's roof. Let him sorta creep up on you, y'know?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

That's fair enough.

I still think they suck though. It's not like I'm not down with metafictional storytelling - MGS2 is one of my favorite games ever. But it feels really clumsy and half-assed here.

Again, if you've got some point of view here, you're going to have to find better language than "clumsy" or "half-assed" to articulate it. I mean, "half-assed" -- the whispers show up consistently throughout the story and it culminates in an enormous blowout setpiece with multiple boss fights set in a tempestuous dreamscape. The suggestion that there wasn't any effort put into this element is just bizarre.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just had somebody tell me that FF7R is just a reskinned FF13 and I'm just shocked at the depths people will go to to hate something lmao

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Again, if you've got some point of view here, you're going to have to find better language than "clumsy" or "half-assed" to articulate it. I mean, "half-assed" -- the whispers show up consistently throughout the story and it culminates in an enormous blowout setpiece with multiple boss fights set in a tempestuous dreamscape. The suggestion that there wasn't any effort put into this story element is just bizarre.

They're half-assed in that they're explained through a couple of lines of dialogue right at the end of the game and are awkwardly overlaid on an existing story.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Harrow posted:

Look at how faithful the rest of the remake is. Either the creators want us to trust them to create what they believe will be a great, maybe even better story, or they were intentionally tricking you into trusting them so they could punch you in the face and call you an idiot before churning out three more games of nonsensical garbage they know you'll hate. Which do you really, honestly think is more likely?

Look at the way the Whispers are portrayed. Look at how Aerith feels about things. Look at how faithful and downright adoring of FF7 everything prior to the ending was.

Which do you think is more likely?

They're literally using the ghosts as strawman fans who must be defeated before the story can continue.

If that isn't adversarial, I don't know what is. It doesn't matter they're depicted as having good intentions and being misguided and the director meant well. It's like...

"Tut tut, child. I know you'll hate and resist any change at all, but it's necessary."

Except we won't hate and resist any change. Every single thing up until the FF13 / Resonance of Fate garbage was wonderful and proved that change can be good and the fans will accept it. So the strawman fan they've put at the end of the game to be beaten up and free the franchise from the expectations of it's fans doesn't really work well.

I get what you're saying. I understand your interpretation. And that interpretation does not conflict with my assessment. It's entirely possible they're sending BOTH messages, because they don't contradict. They are sending both messages. They go hand-in-hand.

We're gonna have to drop this, this can go round and round forever. We're not going to see eye-to-eye and it's just speculation at this point.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

They're half-assed in that they're explained through a couple of lines of dialogue right at the end of the game and are awkwardly overlaid on an existing story.

So essentially what you're saying is that you wanted more exposition?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Necrothatcher posted:

No, they are explained through every single moment throughout the entire game from beginning to end where they show up when it looks like things are going to change and they keep it from changing.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

So essentially what you're saying is that you wanted more exposition?

Yes.

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

Just gonna throw my contribution in to this discussion. So, far as I can tell, the argument here isn't that anything other than 1:1 remake is bad, but going out of it's way to use meta elements via time fuckery and such, is the part that seems to be most upsetting. So am I right in supposing the actual question here is why was it necessary for the time ghosts to exist? Why not just change the game and not have some long drawn out meta calling attention to said changes?

I mean, that question doesn't have a real answer, I'm sure we all already knew that, and any discussion as to the writers intent toward creating the arbiters is purely academic at this stage until we get more interviews or something at a later date explaining what the plan was. That being said it is interesting to think about from the perspective of WHY they thought it necessary to include them? Big part of this hinges on the so called title being remake. A 1:1 remake would, on some level, be a replacement for the original game, and in that case change is absolutely bad, or at least, it would be if your intent was literally to obsolete the old product and create a shiny new product that is intended to replace the old.

Clearly the intent here was never to replace the original FF7 and arguably even trying to would have met with fury, though not necessarily from the same groups of fans. They clearly want to keep selling the original game and not obsolete it, and the only way that works is if you make a game that whilst the core elements may be the same, fundamentally it has to be created as a separate product. They want people who try this game and are curious about the story of the original to go and buy and play the OG as it's on basically every major platform now. Similarly they want something new that's going to entice people for whom a 1:1 replacement was not something they wanted.

So within the story of this remake it was clearly decided that this remake game would have a plot and continuity that will be considered separate from the original game, but at the same time the core themes of the original and thus remake are the same. Themes such as Memory, and things not being what they appear to be. Everything the remake does is in service to those themes, it wants the original game and the new game to coexist and be a part of each other while still telling separate stories that aren't intended to replace each other. If the Time ghosts didn't exist, and they didn't go out of the way to call attention to the fact the original game already happened in a separate timeline, people would rightly call them out for rewriting the game without any real purpose behind doing so, it would be change for the sake of change. Also it feels like they wanted an ending that was going to be ambiguous so that on some level, whatever the dominant reaction to this games ending turns out to be, they will likely pivot and adjust their plans accordingly, Time ghosts help them achieve that because they can just as easily handwave the more extreme changes from the ending as having been fixed now, or they can go all the way on taking the story in new directions.

Arguably this is always going to be a subjective matter and people who feel strongly one way or another are unlikely to change their mind, I just hope we can all be civil and not get personal, every take is valid even if I can't personally understand the perspective it's coming from. Personally I am all in for some major changes cause the main story of FF7 until you hit Nibelheim is basically just, follow the man in black, oh shoot we just missed him. Cool stuff happens on the way for sure, but it wasn't exactly riveting stuff, and the original was always one of my favorite final fantasies. Not going to pretend it was a completely serious game for grown ups just because it flirts with some mature themes. It's still the game where you need a magic dolphin to help you reach the upper stages of Junon. Again, not trying to call anyone in the thread out, these are mostly general reactions and observations to some of the stuff I've been reading here and elsewhere. I loved FF7R for what it's worth but I'm not going to pretend it doesn't have flaws either, it does, no game is ever perfect. Not this or the original.

AnarkiJ fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 20, 2020

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I like FF7R. I think the ending was executed in a way that is definitely different from the rest of the game, but I don't mind the direction. But the Drum was probably a bit too long for my tastes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"A good man who serves a great evil is not without sin. He must recognize and accept his complicity."

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The idea that the timeghosts are strawman fans is both a joke by people mocking diehard fans as well as projection from fans who strongly dislike the changes FF7R made.

They are not literally this, if we mean to be literal.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

FWIW I wouldn't have included them in the initial meeting with Aerith after Reactor 1 blows up. I thought they kinda hosed up that scene. Then again I think Chapter 2 in general is really uneven. I like how it lets you explore the devastation after the reactor blows, but I think it goes way too hard on showing you a lot of Sephiroth way too early, and again the Whispers sort of gently caress up Aerith's first meeting with Cloud in a way I didn't like. Luckily both of those things got a lot better from there.

I think this is actually a plot point in more than just the obvious way. The ghosts show up here because Sephiroth's presence in the opening movie (as signified by his musical sting) works to keep Cloud and Aerith from meeting at all. She's trying to run away from the location, but the ghosts stop her from running away and disappear immediately after Cloud shows up.

Really, the biggest change in the plot is that Sephiroth is conscious and doing stuff from the very opening of the game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I need to know what happened to the Shinra middle manager

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I thought what the whispers were doing should have been exceptionally clear by the chapter 8 dialogue that included lines like, they won't let us go that way, it's like they're keeping us on a path

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Necrothatcher posted:

That's explanation enough. Characters get glimpses of the future and almost all of them react with confusion, horror or sadness. They don't know the repercussions of their actions but know what will happen if things continued along without them doing anything, which is also a point the game makes "we have to at least do something so we can look back at this moment and say we did the best we could". I mean, I liked MGS2 well enough but people seem to forget that the "MINDBLOWING AMAZING FUTURE PREDICTIONS" came in the form of hour long codec scenes that drop nothing but exposition upon you. This game builds up their motivation to change things by showing them all the horrible poo poo that happens in OG FF7 and it shows us their reaction to it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I was also disappointed I couldn't explore the lockers or gym in Shinra HQ. Was hoping for a HP Shout cameo or something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Xaiter posted:

I get what you're saying. I understand your interpretation. And that interpretation does not conflict with my assessment. It's entirely possible they're sending BOTH messages, because they don't contradict. They are sending both messages. They go hand-in-hand.

We're gonna have to drop this, this can go round and round forever. We're not going to see eye-to-eye and it's just speculation at this point.

Sorry but I don't think you do because you're assuming this paternalistic approach when what I'm seeing is much more empathetic because--based largely on Aerith's feelings and the general tone of the ending--I think the creators feel the same conflict. They're communicating their own conflict through the Whispers, not caricaturing fans. The Whispers might well be their own instinct not to change things. Like I feel like you're resistant to the idea that a creator might use a work to explore their own feelings and that doesn't necessarily mean they're telling you how to feel.

Xaiter posted:

Except we won't hate and resist any change. Every single thing up until the FF13 / Resonance of Fate garbage was wonderful and proved that change can be good and the fans will accept it. So the strawman fan they've put at the end of the game to be beaten up and free the franchise from the expectations of it's fans doesn't really work well.

Except that the changes they're planning to make are clearly larger than the changes in this one, because the Whispers prevented the really big changes. You wouldn't have accepted those if you're not accepting this.

And again: you are the one reading the Whispers as a straw man caricature of fans. That's the least charitable possible reading but it isn't some objective truth like you insist it is. They aren't "literally" anything. I get that you feel Nomura hates you and wants to rub his creative control in your face but that just doesn't at all track with, like, everything else about the entire game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I like FF7R. I think the ending was executed in a way that is definitely different from the rest of the game, but I don't mind the direction. But the Drum was probably a bit too long for my tastes.

Yeah gently caress the Drum

Later on I'm probably gonna make a dumb effort post about the pacing in this game because there are some things there that I think are very poor choices and the Drum is one of them.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"A good man who serves a great evil is not without sin. He must recognize and accept his complicity."

This is an especially poignant quote given Barret's backstory.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
I'm just gonna say I find it weird to claim that the game is a betrayal of 'The Fans' when you're pretty much here having a discussion alongside said fans.

If you've got an argument to make then make it but don't trump up your case to be more important than it is.

And now for something actually game related: Squeenix, let me buy the soundtrack dammit!

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

Am I weird for thinking the games biggest letdown wasn't; giving you only one Maginify and two elemental materia, the ending, or any of the changes that were made or new stuff that was added. I was most bummed that not only could you not play pinball, but you couldn't go and hang out in barrets sweet bat cave under the bar. I know it was written around cause cloud wasn't invited on the mission this time around until jessie gets hurt later, but still, that was one thing from the original game that was burned into my memory that was weirdly never expanded on, nearly everything else I could think of that appears in Midgar in the original appears in Remake. Except maybe a couple houses interiors or whatever, like couldn't you go in johnnys house in the original game or am I misremembering?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Golden Goat posted:

He's a gillionaire zaibatsu executive. Why wouldn't he be fighting with literally money.

Actually now I hope the gil toss material gives us his abilities in future games.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

The coins are there, to me, to give a little flavor to Rufus' character. He's logical and cool, but he's not above taking calculated risks. He's got coins, sure, but he also has enough mastery (free time?) to do that awesome finger-rolling trick with them, and you get the distinct impression when fighting him that he isn't the type to leave the outcome entirely to chance. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, and all that. It's a gamble, but one where he obviously has an advantage, not unlike if you moseyed up to a poker table against what you thought was a group of your peers, only one of them busts out a one-handed Vegas shuffle. At that point you're thinking Oh, poo poo, what ELSE does he have up his sleeve?

It doesn't hurt that the only other character with coins as part of his image is Chocobo Sam, who explicitly cheats with a same-sided coin, thereby assuring himself of the outcome and making the actual flip entirely a charade.

Another good thing - a good use of narrative integration to sell the fight to the player effectively. Rufus is, mechanically, extremely easy to beat (even on Hard) once you understand This One Trick That Shinra Executives Absolutely Hate, but because of how he is presented and how he actually fights - with relentless pressure on Cloud, first in a 2-on-1 fight and then with erratic, rapid movement - it took me beating him like the the third or fourth time before I actually realized, to myself, that he wasn't very hard. I continued to feel like I was on the back foot. I spent a lot of time mulling over my materia setup for Rufus on Hard, even. It's crazy.

On the other hand, Cloud has proven extremely sympathetic toward those at Shinra who are just doing their jobs, and FF7R is the most clear this narrative has ever been about exactly what Reno and Rude think of their work: they are just doing their jobs. It's obviously more complicated than that, given that Rude dropped the loving plate on Sector 7, but I don't think Cloud will be as outwardly murderous toward Reno in the future. Some of that also owes to his gradual decline in ruthlessness throughout FF7R, too - remember that he also was totally down with bisecting Johnny because he's "a talker." I'd expect Reno and the Turks to stay more threatening for a longer period of time, and fleshed out into a true rival to the party, but ultimately we'll wind up either neutral or even friendly toward Reno, Rude, and Elena, if not Tseng.

Considering on disk two the party and the turks team up for a time against Don Corneo I'm very interested in seeing where remake is going take this or even possibly expand it. Maybe even get Rufus involved too. Why not?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I want to take the time to effortpost about an element from the game that accurately sums up my feelings about the entire drat experience of FF7R. That element is the song "J-E-N-O-V-A - Quickening," and it is the best motherfucking song.

The fight with Jenova Dreamweaver and the song that plays when you engage it are both engrossing and distressing at once, particularly right at that first moment. The song is recognizably "J-E-N-O-V-A," but the punchiness and synth that was evocative of something sinister and alien in the original are curiously missing, and the fact that we're fighting Jenova at all is a break from established canon, so immediately the OST and the mechanics are working together to establish this feeling of not-quite-rightness that is an excellent representation of what Jenova is (Wrong, with a capital W). The song is almost dreamlike and languid, and much slower than the original's high-tempo adrenaline booster. Even the fight seems ponderous, particularly on Hard or if you aren't overtly superpowerful yet - you kill tentacles to try and create vanishingly small windows of vulnerability for this... The-Thing-lookin' thing, now in glorious HD.

But you do start making progress. The fact that you're not "supposed" to fight Jenova here fades away, because while I wasn't sure about all this when it started I'm extremely on board now. This is new poo poo but it kicks rear end. And the song follows along with you, building into an ominous chorus and the sonorous sweep of the orchestra playing off a bit of that high-pitched goodness we all know and love, made real here by the presence of the strings. There's a lot of percussion as punctuation, neatly aligning with the rhythm with which you take out these new, remote appendages and create a widening gap to attack this Thing. I'm not even sure I miss the original track anymore - the chant filling in for the MIDI staccato feels suitably epic, and I'm an unabashedly enormous fan of the source material - both the song and the game.

It isn't until after I've convinced myself that, you know what, this is a real high note, and maybe even better than the original... I mean, I still miss that drat song, it was so good, I would've liked to hear it in--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVOtzx-fXTY

OH FUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK, they get it, these motherfuckers get it, they know exactly what they're doing, holy shiiiiiiiiittttt, and I'm cackling like I'm 12 years old again re-playing Final Fantasy VII in my best friend's basement, except the same friend is here with me as an adult because we've been playing through the game and he's cackling like a lunatic, my man just LISTEN to that glorious "alien techno."

This game is really good, and its soundtrack is loving transcendent. Masashi Hamauzu loving rules.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This whole scene is great and watching gator weirdos twist themselves into braids trying to say “barret is wrong, actually” because a kotaku writer spoke positively of the game’s politics was very fun.

Re: the ghosts - they make sense from a broader perspective because if you’re doing an episodic adaptation of FF7 that ends with midgar, you kind of need to add some kind of climactic final moment because either you make Rufus the final boss and cut the entire escape sequence, or you make fuckin motorball the final boss, who has no narrative weight whatsoever. The project leads have already said in interviews that there were elements of the original game they would have to change in the updating, and also its just plain hard to keep up tension when everyone knows what’s gonna happen because the plot is directly remaking a 20+ year old game. The ghosts accomplish all three of these goals by providing a final boss confrontation, giving them an out to change the things they wanted, and also introduce a wildcard factor to keep people on their toes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Harrow posted:

I get that you feel Nomura hates you and wants to rub his creative control in your face but that just doesn't at all track with, like, everything else about the entire game.

I will explicitly spell this out.

The idea that Nomura is directly speaking me, internet poster Xaiter, is insane. I understand that.

The idea that Nomura is speaking to the fans of the original directly and telling us things need to change is not insane. Shockingly, one way creators talk to their fans is through what they create for their fans.

We're not gonna see eye-to-eye on this, so I'll break it off here. We will see with Part 2. If this poo poo goes into FF13 extended universe crap and only superficially tells the FF7 story as a means for telling a grander scope story... I'd say that would be pretty strong evidence my assessment was accurate.

But we'll see.

AnarkiJ posted:

good poo poo

100%. If this was just labelled as FF7-2: Cloud Returns it wouldn't be a big deal and I wouldn't have spent any money or time on it. I wouldn't care that it exists, probably never would have even noticed it. It would have just been another direct-to-dumpster FF7 Expanded Universe title for me.

That's what really gets my goat. This post articulates why I feel that well pretty well. Thanks for taking the time to laboriously pound it all out!