Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Can antibodies be synthesized? I know they've shown some promising results in NY but are limited by donor supply and apheresis machines.

I'm guessing "no" bc they've been relying on plasma donors all this time but maybe somebody knows more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Cacafuego posted:

Yep, 12 months seems a bit too short, and 18 months sounds possible from what I'm hearing, however, there's no long term info on the effects. If it's approved, will it stop you from getting COVID in the next 2 years, maybe. Will you have chronic <fill in the blank> disease 10 years from now due to the vaccine, likely not, but also maybe. We won't know until enough time passes.

Exactly. Skipping steps in trials could very well screw us over even more. Even a non 0 chance of that is risky as hell to me personally, but that's one of those calls you'd have to make if and when we get to that point.

Same with testing, the other bastion of resuming normalcy. No one really talks about logistics when you'd need daily testing. I take the test monday, I'm clear, but if I get it tuesday and am asymptomatic what was the point of testing me monday and going about like all is fine. I have yet to hear anyone address this in any of the daily press conferences...but you can't avoid it, it's a pretty big lynchpin in testing people...something we already have an issue with before implementing a large scale daily version en masse at low or no cost.

I'm not trying to be a doom and gloomer whatsoever seriously, I'm just trying to be realistic while still staying optimistic.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Can antibodies be synthesized? I know they've shown some promising results in NY but are limited by donor supply and apheresis machines.

I'm guessing "no" bc they've been relying on plasma donors all this time but maybe somebody knows more?

Maybe, but it in high-concentration places like NY it would be futile since there are increasing amount of naturally available antibodies. And in the rest of the places the antibodies are the last line of defense because they can carry a wealth of other problems with them.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

What’s wrong with drinking cure blood?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Donal Trumo gave you shitbags the greatest economy the world has ever seen and you want to destroy it by sitting at home playing Animal Crossing and getting Cheeto dust all over your tiny greasy dicks because you’re afraid of a little flu you people make me sick

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

They can be and it's the basis for lots of cancer treatments but for a brand new emergent disease it's a treatment that's years off

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Xenocides posted:

Just-World Fallacy. The worst and even just the bad case scenarios are unthinkable and unfair and therefore they will not happen.

LOl we are just at the beginning of this thing, if we are really lucky, as in winning lottery lucky, we have at least 8 months left of this poo poo. If everything goes well, about 14 months. After that it's playing Nostradamus, of course there can be drugs found that help fight this, but so far they are high risk that can also give permanent organ damage on top of the covid at best, and not efficient at all that also give permanent damage to the organs at worst. Also there is the fact that you could, could, as it's not sure if it's an actual thing or just bad testing that still detect neutralized RNA strand and not the actual virus, catch the roni a second time, which is scary and neutralize herd immunity.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 20, 2020

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Bleusilences posted:

LOl we are just at the beginning of this thing, if we are really lucky, as in winning lottery lucky, we have at least 8 months left of this poo poo. If everything goes well, about 14 months. After that it's playing Nostradamus, of course there can be drugs found that help fight this, but so far they are high risk that can also give permanent organ damage on top of the covid at best, and not efficient at all that also give permanent damage to the organs at worst. Also there is the fact that you could catch the roni a second time, which is scary and neutralize herd immunity.

I don't think the person you quoted is saying what you think they're saying. Also it is not a "fact" that you can get it a second time. Don't spread misinformation to satiate your doomer fantasies

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

goethe.cx posted:

I don't think the person you quoted is saying what you think they're saying. Also it is not a "fact" that you can get it a second time. Don't spread misinformation to satiate your doomer fantasies

I know, I also corrected myself and explain what I mean by could.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

it really sucks this was a virus and not something bacterial

the world is ready to start phage therapy for bacterial infections and it would have led to a huge global scientific boom if we could turn efforts in that direction

elimination of antibiotics, healthier livestock, better food, etc

oh well

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
you gotta respect a virus as an organism...they are clever lil fuckers that aren't even technically "alive" just in an in-between state with a mission

e: and could very well predate almost everything else on this planet to boot

quote:

According to Caetano-Anolles’s microbial family tree, viruses are ancient – but they were not the first form of life. In fact, his family tree suggests viruses and bacteria share a common ancestor – a fully functioning, self-replicating cell that lived around 3.4 billion years ago, shortly after life first emerged on the planet. From this cell, bacteria have evolved in the direction of increasing complexity, while viruses have gradually shed genes they found they didn’t need – until they could no longer even reproduce on their own.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 20, 2020

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I like when people argue over definitions of life. I'm just like "sure whatever, a prion is life too"

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

true vacuum state now

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

bird with big dick posted:

Donal Trumo gave you shitbags the greatest economy the world has ever seen and you want to destroy it by sitting at home playing Animal Crossing and getting Cheeto dust all over your tiny greasy dicks because you’re afraid of a little flu you people make me sick

umm excuse me, this is a Doritos Cool Ranch household

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

bird with big dick posted:

your tiny greasy dicks

You're one to talk, mushroom man

naem
May 29, 2011

zer0spunk posted:

you gotta respect a virus as an organism...they are clever lil fuckers that aren't even technically "alive" just in an in-between state with a mission

e: and could very well predate almost everything else on this planet to boot

vanmpire

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

naem posted:

vanmpire

xxxXdeathflowerXxxx

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

GolfHole posted:

it really sucks this was a virus and not something bacterial

the world is ready to start phage therapy for bacterial infections and it would have led to a huge global scientific boom if we could turn efforts in that direction

elimination of antibiotics, healthier livestock, better food, etc

oh well

Aren't virophages a thing?

naem
May 29, 2011

zer0spunk posted:

xxxXdeathflowerXxxx

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
i'm just going to hope that covid-19 mutates into a much more contagious but much less harmful-to-humans version of itself

it's a win win virus, let's negotiate

necroid
May 14, 2009

wyoak posted:

i'm just going to hope that covid-19 mutates into a much more contagious but much less harmful-to-humans version of itself

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 23, 2021

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

wyoak posted:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3080771/coronavirus-mutations-affect-deadliness-strains-chinese-study

Coronavirus’s ability to mutate has been vastly underestimated, and mutations affect deadliness of strains, Chinese study finds

The most aggressive strains of Sars-CoV-2 could generate 270 times as much viral load as the least potent type
New York may have a deadlier strain imported from Europe, compared to less deadly viruses elsewhere in the United States

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like Georgia is going to shoot for the moon.

Highlights of the Governor's press conference:

- Elective medical procedures are being allowed again, since the Governor thinks hospitals are losing too much money
- Gyms, Barbers, Massage Parlors (lol), and other businesses that are losing too much money can reopen on the 24th.
- Professionals told him to do all of this so it's not his fault if this goes bad since "healthcare professionals" are involved at every step
- Georgians need to get back to work
- Shelter in Place will not be extended and will expire in 10 days

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

^^^^ sorry about your dumbass governor

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3080771/coronavirus-mutations-affect-deadliness-strains-chinese-study

Coronavirus’s ability to mutate has been vastly underestimated, and mutations affect deadliness of strains, Chinese study finds

The most aggressive strains of Sars-CoV-2 could generate 270 times as much viral load as the least potent type
New York may have a deadlier strain imported from Europe, compared to less deadly viruses elsewhere in the United States

that would certainly explain the huge variation in symptom severity. but i've also seen studies saying that it mutates very slowly and there's really only one "strain"

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Are the strains mutually exclusive in the same person?

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

goethe.cx posted:

Let's just be clear here; temporary immunity is not well enough understood to to conclude either way on "getting it a second time".

It would be unusual for a coronavirus to produce long term immunity; take that as you will..

schmug
May 20, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

- Elective medical procedures are being allowed again, since the Governor thinks hospitals are losing too much money
- Gyms, Barbers, Massage Parlors (lol), and other businesses that are losing too much money can reopen on the 24th.
- Professionals told him to do all of this so it's not his fault if this goes bad since "healthcare professionals" are involved at every step

My only hope here is that other governors will wait and watch this to see how catastrophic this gets in a month or so, but lol that ain't gonna happen and we are all just going to be turbo hosed and back to square one by june

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jesus Christ this part-

quote:

The researchers also found three consecutive changes – known as tri-nucleotide mutations – in a 60-year-old patient, which was a rare event. Usually the genes mutated at one site at a time. This patient spent more than 50 days in hospital, much longer than other Covid-19 patients, and even his faeces were infectious with living viral strains.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

GolfHole posted:

every single instance of outbreak in history suggests not only will we be socially distancing until 2022, we'll be doing it again in 2024-25, 2030, and then once more in 2045

why we think this time will be any different, i have no loving idea

The only thing I've actually seen on this is 2022 and that's from that write up. Do you have any sources for this?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

What did I loving say earlier today. I knew it.

Thread title is 100% accurate.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Devil went down to Georgia and THIS is what he said...

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

look part of my negotiations with the virus is that it has to be way less harmful and I won't budge on that

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

when viruses do mutate, they tend to become less deadly. the strains that become more deadly don't spread very far

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

tyrelhill posted:

i have done extensive research on the internet, therefore...

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

I'm looking over this CARES act stuff because I'm an unfortunate full time essential worker in one of the highest rate areas of PA and probably doomed.

If/when I get Coronavirus I'll have to quarantine for two weeks and my employer (less than 500 people) will have to pay me for the 80 hours. Are they allowed to use my normally earned vacation/sick time before the CARES act time off? It doesn't seem clear to me from anything I've read.

Any good read the specifically explains this?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Looks like georgia is gonna end it all with a happy ending.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Chomp8645 posted:

The Devil went down to Georgia and THIS is what he said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnZXdlIXXfE

next up...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Niwrad posted:

Question on re-using masks. I have a few old N95 masks I had bought for home improvement years ago. Could I rotate them out if I'm only going shopping once a week?

For instance, wear mask 1 to the store, throw it in a box or paper bag for 2 weeks and then re-use.

Would that be enough time to kill the virus? Would there be any downside to doing this? I have a cloth mask I can wash but I figure those old N95s are probably better.

One week is generally considered to be enough, two weeks should be plenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Good grief. Georgia has a 20% hospitalization rate, and a 4% death rate.

They're really going to try and reopen in four days?

Do they have 2 million hospital beds??