Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Trump hasn’t said anything about oil prices yet.....

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1249422044564992001?s=20

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

PenguinKnight posted:

If it drops any lower the US is going to let the Middle East and South America choose their own leaders
:gbsmith:

:golfclap:

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Some oil understander explain. I figure it's bad,

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

robotsinmyhead posted:

I just posted a SS from Div2 standing in front of a "The Virus is a Hoax!" graffiti.

lol. i have been playing that game again(started fresh) and yeah its sora surreal. like obviously we arnt at that point because the state still exist as do the feds but if those somehow implode, we hosed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

lol. dudes such an idiot(yeah i know its old)

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol:

Holy poo poo that iced tea complaint might be the single most white male mediocrity privilege whine I have ever heard

Like what a loving babyman

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

LeeMajors posted:

All of these loving dorks are just looking for a reason to murder someone.

The deep vein of psychosis that runs through American conceptualization of patriotism is loving perverse and dangerous. Scary poo poo.

This is the next question I want to ask. What do you folks think these right wingers idea of patriotism is?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ok Comboomer posted:

Trump hasn’t said anything about oil prices yet.....

"Someone should steal the oil from us. That's what I'd do."

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

I meant after it died

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

I meant after it died

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1252260074782887941

his last non retweet was this.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Guze posted:

Some oil understander explain. I figure it's bad,

Imagine that you promised to buy thousands of barrel of oil without a warehouse, or a tank, or anything because you figured that you would just sell it away before time came for delivery. Now, imagine that delivery is a week from now, and no one wants your oil. You HAVE to get rid of it somehow, since you never could take possession of it. But since no one wants your drat oil, you are down to having to pay people to take that thing off your hand.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I like how all these protesters, both armed and unarmed, are all white, out-of-shape, whiny cry-babies. The fact they have to bring their weapons with them to have a "show of force" further cements how detached from reality they are. Imagine, JUST IMAGINE, if that truck rolled up and it was full of armed people of color.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

ManBoyChef posted:

This is the next question I want to ask. What do you folks think these right wingers idea of patriotism is?

Christian Theocratic Ethnostate. Instigating Rahowa.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

If you want any sympathy for your protest, iced tea man cannot be given the mic

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ewiley posted:

Imagine you’ve stockpiled turnips in Animal Crossing, and they’re about to start rotting... you need to unload them but Tom Nook will come seize your house if he finds rotting turnips in there, so you’re out like a billion bells if he seizes your house because you haven’t paid it off and you’ve been farming money trees on credit this whole time, but you decided to get into turnips..
e:
TimeOil works the same way

USPOL Spring: You’ve stockpiled turnips, and they’re about to start rotting...

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Slowpoke! posted:

How does a thing trade for negative dollars?

*Burns Econ degree*

All kinds of things trade for negative dollars

Garbage, for example.

E: or sex with goons

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 20, 2020

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

This is gonna be like during the 2008 when the fed had the idea to buy up all the slack housing supply and burn them down to stabilize the price.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Stop Crying Wolf" is about the only good slogan I've seen in all this poo poo

:airquote: good :airquote:

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Ringo Star Get posted:

I like how all these protesters, both armed and unarmed, are all white, out-of-shape, whiny cry-babies. The fact they have to bring their weapons with them to have a "show of force" further cements how detached from reality they are. Imagine, JUST IMAGINE, if that truck rolled up and it was full of armed people of color.

White Fragility expressed in real time!

Feel "oppressed" for less of a month and they do not like the taste, and are lashing out like petulant babies because they can't go out and live their usual lives that are built upon the suffering of others for their own personal elevations.

It's sad really when deep down they just want the freedom to die of any number of preventable causes like diabetes or heart disease cause MUH RIGHTS.....

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

DrNutt posted:

Something is extremely wrong with these peoples' brain chemistry and they really ought to be locked away in a nice hospital until they've proven that they can function in a society again. Right wing media has poisoned as many brains as lead in this loving country and we are completely hosed.

Anyone with a hand tattoo and no tattoos on their arms should have their hands cut off, inshallah.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

cool can’t wait to see what tonight’s presser looks like

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
we’re gonna get a real whopper of a show for 4/20

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Behold, a tweet that has aged even more poorly:

https://twitter.com/TrumpWarRoom/status/1252231914653495296

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Jake Hagar hangs his head in shame.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Guze posted:

If you want any sympathy for your protest, iced tea man cannot be given the mic

The loving baby-bitch ORGANIZED a protest because of this

These are the fuckwit, selfish, pea-brained, entitled dipshits that vote Trump

It's infuriating but also hilarious. I'm not sure whether to laugh out of my chair or punch my monitor

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Tibalt posted:

I remember this book called The Money Tree that was supposed to teach young teenage boys about financial planning, and the book ends with him forgetting to sell a corn future and ending up a truck dumping a literal ton of corn on his lawn.

Anyway.

I took a derivatives class in college that was all about futures trading and this was one of the first day talking points. Without getting into the minutia of it, you're essentially agreeing to buy X thing tomorrow at X price today. Most energy traders work in office buildings and I have an ex-buddy (ex because he went full chud) who does energy trading out of his apartment. They have nowhere to store this oil they bought because they assumed that someone would be willing to buy their contract before delivery and they'd net the difference as profit.

Imagining these assholes freaking out about oil trucks rolling up at their front door brings me a lot of joy.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Insert saruman joke here

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Somebody post that endless GIF of laughing Jake, I’m phonepostin’

That’s a sight for sore, piss-soaked eyes

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
So what happens if you buy some of this negative oil?

I assume you get some money in your account and then... you're expected to have a place to store that oil? Does someone come by and just dump oil in your front yard if you don't?

Basically I am asking how fool proof is my get rich quick scheme of buying infinite oil and skipping town.

Tibalt posted:

I remember this book called The Money Tree that was supposed to teach young teenage boys about financial planning, and the book ends with him forgetting to sell a corn future and ending up a truck dumping a literal ton of corn on his lawn.

Anyway.

What if they don't know where my lawn is?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

It's year 4 of this poo poo, so we all already know the rules, but it's amazing to see the propaganda that deliberately alienates the majority of the country and only activates his hardcore base.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

ManBoyChef posted:

It's basically, does it only serve the needs of rich white old Christian men? That's patriotism. Everyone else can get hosed.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

I will lead an armed rebellion if I have to circle around the Bojangles again for my tea!

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
This CNBC article claims that the oil price will go back to $20 after contracts expire tomorrow:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/04/20/this-oil-price-crash-isnt-as-bad-as-it-seems-heres-why.html

quote:

Futures contracts are tied to a specific delivery date. Toward the end of a contract's expiration date, the price typically converges with the physical price of oil as the final buyers of these contracts are entities like refineries or airlines that are going to take actual physical delivery of the oil. 

Futures contracts ultimately are contracts for physical delivery of the underlying commodity or security. While some people in the market speculate on the contracts, others are buying and selling because they have use for the commodity itself. Near the contract's expiration, traders just start buying the next month's futures contract. Those who stay in the position to the final day are typically buying the physical commodity, such as a refiner.

The contract that fell more than 100% on Monday is for May delivery, and it expires on Tuesday. With the coronavirus pandemic leading to unprecedented demand loss, and with storage tanks quickly filling up, there is no demand for this oil contract expiring Tuesday. 

That's why it turned negative, meaning producers would pay to get this oil off their hands because there is no one that needs that oil this week with the country shutdown.

Futures contracts trade by the month. The contract for June delivery traded 16% lower at $21.04 per barrel.

So after that contract expires on Tuesday, oil will be back above $20.

Still, it's some bad timing for Trump.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/trivworks/status/1252312209050316801?s=21

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

AAAAA tom hanks' wife took the :fishdrugs: https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/entertainment/tom-hanks-coronavirus-interview-trnd/index.html

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bashez posted:

So what happens if you buy some of this negative oil?

I assume you get some money in your account and then... you're expected to have a place to store that oil? Does someone come by and just dump oil in your front yard if you don't?

Basically I am asking how fool proof is my get rich quick scheme of buying infinite oil and skipping town.

What if they don't know where my lawn is?

It's going to be funny when a bunch of people think that this is the moment to get into commodities trading and try to do something like that. It's going to be even more funny when Trump tells people to go out and buy oil later today.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I told some friends about oil collapsing and their first thought was to buy stock in oil.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Spacebump posted:

I told some friends about oil collapsing and their first thought was to buy stock in oil.

"I'm rich! Suddenly I have an opinion about the capital gains tax!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Spacebump posted:

lol