Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
They're all perfect and thus have no need to develop anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I was re-reading one piece and this scene, in light of the most recent flashback, ooof:

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
My personal theory is that the genetic treatment on Sanji worked a little bit better than anyone noticed at the time. We know the drug his mother gave him to counter it out doesn't work 100% because she tried it on his brothers and it didn't take at all. It didn't totally prevent the changes in Sanji, it just meant that rather than gaining powers and losing his emotions, he gained powers he can only use when he's incredibly emotional.

Literally every time we have seen Sanji use his fire powers, it's been associated with intense emotion. I don't think he's ever used Diable Jambe without being incredibly pissed off, and if he does that's only after he masters it. Hell Memories is explicitly about his anger setting him on fire.

At first I thought this wasn't as cool as Sanji having those powers without the treatment, but then I realized, if the above is true then Judge is a loving retard because he didn't actually have to do that to his children at all, his wife was right from the start and he could have avoided emotionally mutilating his children if he'd trusted her and dosed her drug himself. He also would have had stronger kids this way. He hosed everything up for no reason.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I thought Zoro had cool weird multi-head powers because he is cursed :confused:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tolth posted:

My personal theory is that the genetic treatment on Sanji worked a little bit better than anyone noticed at the time. We know the drug his mother gave him to counter it out doesn't work 100% because she tried it on his brothers and it didn't take at all. It didn't totally prevent the changes in Sanji, it just meant that rather than gaining powers and losing his emotions, he gained powers he can only use when he's incredibly emotional.

Literally every time we have seen Sanji use his fire powers, it's been associated with intense emotion. I don't think he's ever used Diable Jambe without being incredibly pissed off, and if he does that's only after he masters it. Hell Memories is explicitly about his anger setting him on fire.

At first I thought this wasn't as cool as Sanji having those powers without the treatment, but then I realized, if the above is true then Judge is a loving retard because he didn't actually have to do that to his children at all, his wife was right from the start and he could have avoided emotionally mutilating his children if he'd trusted her and dosed her drug himself. He also would have had stronger kids this way. He hosed everything up for no reason.

I mean the guy who taught Sanji how to fight was "Red Leg" Zeff so I think it's likely Diable Jambe is a Zeff original technique.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
My scientific & canonical explanation for every One Piece powerup:

Don't worry about it, it's fun and cool

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

If you're wondering how that dude's leg loving caught on fire holy poo poo that owns and other science facts, just repeat to yourself it's just a comic, I should really just relax.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Funky Valentine posted:

If you're wondering how that dude's leg loving caught on fire holy poo poo that owns and other science facts, just repeat to yourself it's just a comic, I should really just relax.

I'm gonna post about One Piece in the One Piece thread. Sorry.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's because his heart burns hotter than the flames.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

alkanphel posted:

Yeah I think that's probably because the Yonkou are more integral to the main plot line while the Shichibukai are just supplementary to the main plot.

I do not think it was an accident that Alvida - the first named pirate Luffy faces off against - and Kaidou both wield a spiked club as their main weapon. It's a nice poetic bookend.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I don’t think Enies Lobby would have been better if there was some kind of training arc

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean the guy who taught Sanji how to fight was "Red Leg" Zeff so I think it's likely Diable Jambe is a Zeff original technique.

His name was because his shoes were permanently stained with the blood of his enemies officially.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Julias posted:

He's good at settings and themes, and can definitely pull off great arcs like water 7, but his pacing can be kind of bad, he's bad at character development for most of the main cast, and especially post timeskip has made multiple really questionable writing choices (Birdcage, Big Mom Amnesia, Sabo Amnesia)

big mom amnesia lasted like 4 chapters and was mostly just for comedic effect which I think is fine

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Big mom amnesia played a big part in the prison break. Queen was effectively nullified by her

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

also i'd argue that oda isn't 'bad' at character development so much as that the strawhats' time for character development ended with the timeskip and that that's fine. they're all who they need to be and they've conquered whatever internal doubts they might've faced up till then

Usopp's whole goal is character development, and he actually seemed to regress a bit in Dressrosa. And Chopper and Zoro have both become actively worse characters after the time skip. (Sanji too at first, but he improved.)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Julias posted:

He's good at settings and themes, and can definitely pull off great arcs like water 7, but his pacing can be kind of bad, he's bad at character development for most of the main cast, and especially post timeskip has made multiple really questionable writing choices (Birdcage, Big Mom Amnesia, Sabo Amnesia)

Big Mom Amnesia was fantastic though

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Usopp's whole goal is character development, and he actually seemed to regress a bit in Dressrosa. And Chopper and Zoro have both become actively worse characters after the time skip. (Sanji too at first, but he improved.)

Eh, I wouldn’t really say Usopp really regressed because he did come back for the Tontotta (?) without being bullied into it when he probably knew the outcome. And I don’t really see how Zoro became worse, because his character is still “stoic, really strong sometimes funny man” bit which hasn’t really changed since East Blue (and thank god for that), except that he gets barely any screen time now because he just kind of destroys everything that tries to stop or even slightly impede him now.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

RuBisCO posted:

I was re-reading one piece and this scene, in light of the most recent flashback, ooof:

It's kinda funny that both Momonosuke and Oden existed as mysterious shadow figures for a while.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I don’t think Enies Lobby would have been better if there was some kind of training arc

To clarify: I agree with you, and didn't mean to say that my perspective of second/third gears being an rear end-pull was a bad thing. I think the occasional rear end-pull is fine, and as long as it fits the narrative and works for dramatic timing it doesn't matter. I totally believe Luffy coming up with the gears, so it wasn't really an "rear end-pull" but it did feel a bit like Oda hand-waving Luffy suddenly having these new powers, which is a minor critique at best and solving it may have damaged the series elsewhere, such as by adding a training arc to Enies Lobby. I will also concede I forgot that Luffy was inspired by the CP9 members.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
It's weird they developed all new never before seen powers in the like 2 hour train ride to Enies Lobby but you can sort of wave that off and even understand how they'd develop such powers.

Then Zoro grows 2 heads.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ryaomon posted:

It's weird they developed all new never before seen powers in the like 2 hour train ride to Enies Lobby but you can sort of wave that off and even understand how they'd develop such powers.

Then Zoro grows 2 heads.

Zoro's always had weird magic powers that come from being Good At Swords, like firing shockwaves and whatnot. It's just another one of those. What's he supposed to be learning? Some grounded like how to parry better?

That whole fight with Kaku is actually about Kaku learning about his new devil fruit and developing the limitless destructive potential of the giraffe. He's secretly the underdog the whole time. The only question is how long he can hold out until Zoro pulls out some bullshit that will instantly wreck him, as has been the pattern with basically every Zoro fight since Mihawk.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

rannum posted:

Big Mom Amnesia was fantastic though

It was one of the few times the Amnesia plot device worked out, a little surprised he didn't keep it running longer during the arc.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
every time I come into this thread there's a brand new "actually I don't like One Piece" conversation and it baffles me

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Bleck posted:

every time I come into this thread there's a brand new "actually I don't like One Piece" conversation and it baffles me

Break weeks are terrible.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I have paid exactly zero attention to Zoro's sword techniques and couldn't tell you what any of them are called, what they do or what they look like, beyond posing with a bunch of swords while people fall over in the background.

This is probably why I have never cared about any fight he's been in, except for Pica because slicing a mountain apart looked cool as poo poo and was very unique.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
https://www.polygon.com/2020/4/20/21227882/one-piece-digimon-adventure-my-hero-academia-pokemon-anime-delays-coronavirus

Maybe now the One Piece anime can take a break.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I have paid exactly zero attention to Zoro's sword techniques and couldn't tell you what any of them are called, what they do or what they look like, beyond posing with a bunch of swords while people fall over in the background.

This is probably why I have never cared about any fight he's been in, except for Pica because slicing a mountain apart looked cool as poo poo and was very unique.

part of the problem there is that a lot of zoro's sword techniques are japanese food puns that can't be easily translated, so they just stay japanese phrases that mean nothing to you if you don't know japanese

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
For his standard attacks I remember Oni giri (Demon Slash/Rice ball) and that there were various iterations on the canon attack as it got more powerful, but that's about it.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I think my brain just skips over Sabo whenever I see him.

He’s just a revolutionary who works with Luffy’s dad and he gets on with Luffy.

Wait where are you going, no no don’t look up his backstory.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel like Zoro's fights haven't been super interestinf to me since the Mr. 1 fight.

The Kaku fight is cool though.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

So does that mean they lose that primetime slot or whatever the usual reason was to not let one piece turn into a seasonal show?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Raposa posted:

So does that mean they lose that primetime slot or whatever the usual reason was to not let one piece turn into a seasonal show?

No, they're doing reruns of older eps of One Piece.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
im unironically convinced that one piece is at an all-series high rn, with the whitebeard war era and the enies lobby era shortly behind

there are def criticisms to be had of one piece but its highs are ludicrously high and the lows are still easy reading so not a lot really to complaina bout

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

part of the problem there is that a lot of zoro's sword techniques are japanese food puns that can't be easily translated, so they just stay japanese phrases that mean nothing to you if you don't know japanese

Eh, I barely remember technique names as it is, so that wouldn't help. I remember them entirely based on how they look, like Luffy has a straight punch and a rapid fire punch and a big fist punch and that one that looks like an organ. Brook has icy sword, the really fast one where he puts his sword away and the person falls over, and the Soul King attack from Whole Cake Island. Sanji has air walk, regular kick and fiery kick.

So with Zoro in particular, all I see is Zoro posing with swords and they might as well be the same attack. My brain just completely glazes over the speech bubble announcing the names.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The best move Luffy made was gomu gomu no ufo

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

tbp posted:

im unironically convinced that one piece is at an all-series high rn, with the whitebeard war era and the enies lobby era shortly behind

there are def criticisms to be had of one piece but its highs are ludicrously high and the lows are still easy reading so not a lot really to complaina bout

agreed

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Begemot posted:

Zoro's always had weird magic powers that come from being Good At Swords, like firing shockwaves and whatnot. It's just another one of those. What's he supposed to be learning? Some grounded like how to parry better?

That whole fight with Kaku is actually about Kaku learning about his new devil fruit and developing the limitless destructive potential of the giraffe. He's secretly the underdog the whole time. The only question is how long he can hold out until Zoro pulls out some bullshit that will instantly wreck him, as has been the pattern with basically every Zoro fight since Mihawk.

Haha this is a great way to view zoros fights. How long can the enemy hold up until zoro cuts em and beats em. 3 Slash-man

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
People can kick so fast they can fly and you're annoyed by someone moving his body parts so fast that it leaves after images?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

tbp posted:

We haven't quite reached the highest highs of Ennies Lobby but I cannot deny we're currently in the best run overall. Ever since the minks showed up, One Piece has been consistently good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Where is Caesar these days? I started to like having him around.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 21, 2020