Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ambaire posted:

I called the office 6 hours ago when they opened and told them and they said they'd send someone to take a look. Been checking throughout the day and that water's still running... I guess covid's messing with maintenance or something.

Not sure what I should do if it's still going tomorrow or the day after. Been living here for 5 years and this is the second time I've called anyone for anything unrelated to me. First time was about 3 years ago when I could hear a smoke detector alarm going off continuously, traced it to the apartment upstairs across from me, and after knocking on their door for near 5 minutes with no response, called the fire department. Turned out someone was home and had burnt something in their oven but didn't do anything about silencing the alarms.. for what seemed like hours...

Thanks for the replies.

edit: I mean, it's not normal for someone's shower to be on for days, right? This is something I should be worried about, right? Bystander effect seems strong here but there's probably not many people who could be aware of it so ...

Are you physically able to knock on the door? If so, stop being a goon and just introduce yourself as their neighbor and see if there's any response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Are you physically able to knock on the door? If so, stop being a goon and just introduce yourself as their neighbor and see if there's any response.

Lol no kidding

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

blarzgh posted:

Lol no kidding

I would never want to meet a neighbor in a building that would have me for a tenant

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leperflesh posted:

No, if this person is slowly dying on their bed or something, there could still be a chance. It's probably just a stuck toilet flusher or maybe a broken pipe, but there's a small chance someone is in trouble and you can't just assume "well by now they'd definitely be dead."

The only way to be sure is to bar the door from the outside. Fortunately, this approach works great with

Devor posted:

I would never want to meet a neighbor in a building that would have me for a tenant

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
This is the best effort at substantiating an alibi I've ever seen on the forums.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Discendo Vox posted:

This is the best effort at substantiating an alibi I've ever seen on the forums.

Phoenix wright reboot looking good

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I'm a Canadian who does a bass guitar oriented livestream on Twitch. I've recently started gaining a bit of a following and some paid subscribers. Most are from the english speaking world- UK, Canada, and a majority are Americans.

As a promotion, I wanted to build a bass guitar and send it to a fan. I am wondering what the legal definition of this act would be, particularly if I:

A.) Tied entries to Twitch subscriptions (it's a perk; all subscribers during the relevant period get entered)
B.) Tied entries to Twitch subscription tier (The more expensive the subscription, the more entries)
C.) Tied entries to raffle tickets
D.) Needed to impose limits on shipping costs/destinations that may preclude some entries

Is this the sort of thing I can just do without raising any red flags or do I need to be registering with some agency or organization? If the proceeds were to be donated, would that change things?

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 17, 2020

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Counterparts posted:

I'm a Canadian who does a bass guitar oriented livestream on Twitch. I've recently started gaining a bit of a following and some paid subscribers. Most are from the english speaking world- UK, Canada, and a majority are Americans.

As a promotion, I wanted to build a bass guitar and send it to a fan. I am wondering what the legal definition of this act would be, particularly if I:

A.) Tied entries to Twitch subscriptions (it's a perk; all subscribers during the relevant period get entered)
B.) Tied entries to Twitch subscription tier (The more expensive the subscription, the more entries)
C.) Tied entries to raffle tickets
D.) Needed to impose limits on shipping costs/destinations that may preclude some entries

Is this the sort of thing I can just do without raising any red flags or do I need to be registering with some agency or organization? If the proceeds were to be donated, would that change things?

That seems like something a lawyer could help you with.

Also if you’re in Quebec, lol.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

As a general rule (just providing context, not actual advice), theres a distinction between running a contest for a group of people (okay) and taking money for a chance of a prize (gambling).

That why if you buy a coke during a giveaway the terms and conditions will say "no purchase necessary". You paid for a coke and the company gave you a coke and also a raffle ticket, you didn't buy a raffle ticket.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

FrozenVent posted:

That seems like something a lawyer could help you with.

Also if you’re in Quebec, lol.

If so, then it’s unfortunately too expensive for my operation. I’m talking a small channel and a $180 DIY bass.

Alchenar posted:

That why if you buy a coke during a giveaway the terms and conditions will say "no purchase necessary". You paid for a coke and the company gave you a coke and also a raffle ticket, you didn't buy a raffle ticket.

Hence why I thought option A-subscribers are automatically entered-might be ok. But I’d probably have to provide some way to enter for free without subscribing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

daslog posted:

Thanks for replying.

New Hampshire is where I'm located. The idea is so she doesn't feel like she's losing money by not owning her own home and throwing away her money on rent. While I'm not concerned about her trashing the place, you never know what could happen in the future.

An alternative would be to draw something up that explicitly states she doesn't get any equity in the home and instead I would just keep a notional account for her that she could draw on.

I just was present for my buddy who doesn't really get "the law" on a call with his lawyer over trying to evict a tenant. He keeps going on and on about some document he wrote and got the tenant to sign and how it must mean he can kick them out and I'm just listening to the lawyer repeating over and over "there is no definitive language in that document" and watching him just not make the connection to understand since "but he signed it, that means he has to do what I say"

Long story short, pay someone now to do it right and not pay someone 100x more later when you do it wrong.

On that note, is the this thread where the guy had a bunch of questions about him as an RA wrestling with a female dorm student and she got injured? Even in his own words it looked like a really bad situation for him and he kept getting angrier and angrier no one agreed it was NDB.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

In California, if a retail store does not allow customers to wear a backpack in the store, and haves them leave it by the cashier (they dont have a vehicle to lock it into) and the backpack gets stolen, is the store responsible at all for the loss?

Because if they won’t assume responsibility for property that they separated from the owner, they should either not allow backpacks in at all, or notify customers they are leaving it at their own risk. Similar to how paid parking lots post notices about not being liable for stolen property.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

pentyne posted:

He keeps going on and on about some document he wrote and got the tenant to sign

Post the document

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

pentyne posted:

I just was present for my buddy who doesn't really get "the law" on a call with his lawyer over trying to evict a tenant. He keeps going on and on about some document he wrote and got the tenant to sign and how it must mean he can kick them out and I'm just listening to the lawyer repeating over and over "there is no definitive language in that document" and watching him just not make the connection to understand since "but he signed it, that means he has to do what I say"

Long story short, pay someone now to do it right and not pay someone 100x more later when you do it wrong.

On that note, is the this thread where the guy had a bunch of questions about him as an RA wrestling with a female dorm student and she got injured? Even in his own words it looked like a really bad situation for him and he kept getting angrier and angrier no one agreed it was NDB.

"the law" can feel like loving bullshit. So I sympathize with the guy. It sometimes feels like figuring out magic card interactions and just being like, well this makes no sense but it's what the oracle says.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Post the document

I don't have it but it was something like "you promise to try and move out by April 1st"

And he won't accept the lawyer telling him that its not a meaningful statement. And then saying that he just has to show it to a judge who will most definitely agree with him.

Evictions being suspended also don't mean anything to him because when told nothing can happen at least until the stay at home orders are lifted I get a text from him "They find the cure. Problem solved. USA win" and then saying he can get them out by May 1st.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

pentyne posted:

I don't have it but it was something like "you promise to try and move out by April 1st"

And he won't accept the lawyer telling him that its not a meaningful statement. And then saying that he just has to show it to a judge who will most definitely agree with him.

Evictions being suspended also don't mean anything to him because when told nothing can happen at least until the stay at home orders are lifted I get a text from him "They find the cure. Problem solved. USA win" and then saying he can get them out by May 1st.

Have him tweet at Trump to fix it

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

pentyne posted:

Why does your friend want to evict people so badly?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
The law, in general, and more particularly, is bullshit

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

pentyne posted:

lmao this is a sovcit who just doesn't know it yet

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lobsterpillar posted:

Its a rented room in his own house. The tenant(originally a single occupant lease) moved in his wife and kid a while back without telling one day they were just there all sharing the room and a shared bathroom with another tenant, kept paying rent late or paying less (buddy would accept less rent because he said he wanted to help them save to move out), and kept promising to move out because the landlord didn't want 2 adults and a kid all sharing one room but always said "oh sorry, can't leave"

I've been telling him for the past year an eviction is his only option and his own drafted letters are meaningless but when he tries to get serious the dad brings his kid out and the kid starts crying asking if they are going to be homeless and my buddy just caves and asks for another "move-out agreement"

Hasn't paid rent since Jan either so at this point he's flipping out because no evictions for now means he'll likely never see another dollar and since he pays all the utilities for the house as part of the lease he's trying to think of ways to reduce their use of the utilities.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Ouch, sounds like your buddy isn't cut out to be a landlord, which is fine but what a pit to land yourself in.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hoshi posted:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Lobsterpillar posted:

He hates handcrafted spoons.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Are the drafted letters printed out or angrily scribbled in crayon? Because from what you've mentioned of the dude it sounds a lot like the latter.

Hoshi posted:

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Counterparts posted:

If so, then it’s unfortunately too expensive for my operation. I’m talking a small channel and a $180 DIY bass.

Hence why I thought option A-subscribers are automatically entered-might be ok. But I’d probably have to provide some way to enter for free without subscribing.

You should see if Canadian law schools have legal clinics. A lot of us law schools do to provide practical education in being a lawyer, which law school is pretty bad at actually doing

[

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

pentyne posted:

I could be wrong, but I think it was a reddit thread that was posted here.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I want to sue a scummy debt collector who keeps adding new trade lines to my credit report even though Experian deletes it when I dispute it. Should I assume everything is on hold due to the Rona?

I kind of want their money but I mostly want this drat thing to stop popping up when it's clearly not legit. Is there a way to get the reporting agencies to refuse new lines from this collector for this account? I don't think it's mine or a legit debt, and it looks like they're misdating it to boot.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

BonerGhost posted:

I want to sue a scummy debt collector who keeps adding new trade lines to my credit report even though Experian deletes it when I dispute it. Should I assume everything is on hold due to the Rona?

I kind of want their money but I mostly want this drat thing to stop popping up when it's clearly not legit. Is there a way to get the reporting agencies to refuse new lines from this collector for this account? I don't think it's mine or a legit debt, and it looks like they're misdating it to boot.

You can still file lawsuits, send demand letters, and even get some stuff done. It's all just sort of a bare bones thing at the moment, and anything you do might take an extra 30 days because of the Rona.

Google the FDCPA and see if anything in there works for your situation, and also Google Fair Debt Collection Practice Attorney and see if there's a little mom and pop lawyer near you that handles these kind of cases.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
You should also file a complaint with the CFPB and any similar agency your state might have (e.g. NY DFS). Probably won't help your individual situation, but if enough people complain and they're doing something illegal (and you're in a blue state), they could get in trouble.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Unfortunately I'm in red af Nebraska and I think they're in South Dakota, aka the Delaware of the west.

But thanks for the input, folks.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Fdcpa is federal, so it doesn't matter what state you're in, and Nebraska has an FDCPA as well so

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

blarzgh posted:

Nebraska has an FDCPA as well so

That part I did not know. Thanks

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

BonerGhost posted:

Freeze your credit, don't just put a "30 day watch" or whatever they call on it. It's a bit of a pain if you regularly need access to credit but it's worth doing anyway.

ESPECIALLY do not pay the credit bureaus for any services; it's either free or a one time nominal fee to freeze your credit. Don't give those fucks anything more than you need to freeze your credit.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I wasn't aware a credit freeze would stop reporting on a collection account, I thought that was just for inquiries and new lines?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

BonerGhost posted:

I wasn't aware a credit freeze would stop reporting on a collection account, I thought that was just for inquiries and new lines?

I thought half the point of the credit freeze was that tradelines could not be added to your credit report.

You should be doing it anyway, just for identity theft purposes.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I subscribed to Youtube Premium, and as you know Google accounts are integrated with YouTube. My Google account got hacked, I cannot access it, and I keep being charged $10 a month for the sub.

But there is literally no way to speak to customer service, as Google does not have a call center, except for special corporate accounts.

I had my credit card company reverse the charges, but they still keep billing my rear end.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ChocNitty posted:

I subscribed to Youtube Premium, and as you know Google accounts are integrated with YouTube. My Google account got hacked, I cannot access it, and I keep being charged $10 a month for the sub.

But there is literally no way to speak to customer service, as Google does not have a call center, except for special corporate accounts.

I had my credit card company reverse the charges, but they still keep billing my rear end.

Just to make sure, have you gone through all these steps to try and recover your account?

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6294825?hl=en

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

ChocNitty posted:

FYI, sending Google a chargeback will get you blacklisted on all Google products.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ChocNitty posted:

Fwiw, have you tried the numbers at https://1800liveperson.com/google/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Fwiw, have you tried the numbers at https://1800liveperson.com/google/

From that link

:(