Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

haveblue posted:

Who or what is Wolf?

Pennsylvania's governor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Too many people on twitter think that gas prices are going to drop to like 5 cents a gallon now which absolutely will not be allowed to happen lol

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Ladies, gentlemen, and others, I would like to present to you the Governor of Wyoming.

https://twitter.com/tomcoulter_/status/1252293538223702017
https://twitter.com/tomcoulter_/status/1252298277623599118
https://twitter.com/tomcoulter_/status/1252300692582252554

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

nerox posted:

This post from 2.5 hours ago didn't age well, My 1200 barrels of oil are now worth -$52,800.

Welp, you know what you have to do. Here's a straw, and a breath mint for afterwards.:colbert:

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

THERE ARE DOZENS OF US! DOZENS!

really, this is the impotent poo poo that Angry Bum guy runs in here every so often to wallow in fear about?

These are the protests that will win Trump re-election?

Lmao

There were a few bigger ones that are a little worrying. And "It's all astroturfed bullshit, like the Tea Party" isn't exactly comforting. Media coverage on this could peel more people off into calling for re-opening. poo poo might get weird soon, especially if more help isn't on the way. Fingers crossed that people just see through it and social media manages to call it out as the minor freak show it is, but it's hard to count on America being rational.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

smoobles posted:

I still don't understand what negative oil prices mean

its like you already ordered 250lbs of beans but then you decide you hate beans so you pay someone else a few bucks to just take all these drat beans

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ok Comboomer posted:

cool can’t wait to see what tonight’s presser looks like

it will be boring jerk off rally and lies mixed with him getting super catty/bitchy at basic questions.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

smoobles posted:

Money is a fictional concept

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What would John Rockefeller do?

Hire the Pinkertons to bust up some union

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

There were a few bigger ones that are a little worrying. And "It's all astroturfed bullshit, like the Tea Party" isn't exactly comforting. Media coverage on this could peel more people off into calling for re-opening. poo poo might get weird soon, especially if more help isn't on the way. Fingers crossed that people just see through it and social media manages to call it out as the minor freak show it is, but it's hard to count on America being rational.

It’s different than the Tea Party which was aggrieved whites raising a shitfit about their perceived loss of privilege which appealed to a lot of people and played very well to the media’s benefit. This on the other hand is literally life and death poo poo that is immediately apparent and that a vast majority of people across the spectrum see through.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Trabisnikof posted:

its like you already ordered 250lbs of beans but then you decide you hate beans so you pay someone else a few bucks to just take all these drat beans

You ordered 250 pounds of beans with the expectation that your neighbors would buy some of them off you, but they all welshed, you can't fit 250 pounds of beans in your apartment, and the truck arrives tomorrow morning.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it will be boring jerk off rally and lies mixed with him getting super catty/bitchy at basic questions.

"Gee, What are we going to do tonight Trump?"

"The same thing we do every night Pence. Rant and Rave about how Great I am!"

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

really, this is the impotent poo poo that Angry Bum guy runs in here every so often to wallow in fear about?

Lmao

It's what's being presented on Television and YouTube clips is what is distorting what they really are. We all here know what really goes on with these 'rallies' and who the people behind it are, but a majority of news watchers at home don't. As it's being presented over the air it looks like there are thousands of people angry at the Democrats for all these 'tyrannical measures' and Trump promotes these as being that ''real Americans' are all angry. It's all about perception and that's what people that vote will react to.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Is this the oil thread?
https://twitter.com/lazygamereviews/status/1252323158465667075

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s different than the Tea Party which was aggrieved whites raising a shitfit about their perceived loss of privilege which appealed to a lot of people and played very well to the media’s benefit. This on the other hand is literally life and death poo poo that is immediately apparent and that a vast majority of people across the spectrum see through.

this. we could be wrong but i think alot of folks probably hate these assholes plus alot of people lived through the tea party and are mad that the same type of fuckheads are trying to pull the same poo poo when shits life and death and trumps not doing a thing to help. like alot of folks are doing the right thing and these loathsom fucks are making poo poo worse and probably gonna start more outbreaks and more folks will die.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Alright, so the commodities traders are desperately looking for people to take the oil off their hands, but it sounds like the problem is that there's simply no physical capacity. Are there facilities somewhere out there that do still have capacity to store crude, but still need a price incentive to do so?

Is it actually possible for general purpose warehouses to just cart some barrels in? I would have thought you need far more specialized storage tanks and poo poo.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

smoobles posted:

If you have an empty tanker in the Gulf of Mexico, you could make a buck by taking a load! (Typing this out makes me think some mystery oil spills are to be expected...)

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

smoobles posted:

You bought 1000 barrels, you can't cancel it, you don't have anywhere to store it, nobody wants it, and storing it will cost you 50$ / barrel. So you'd rather take a loss in order to get rid of the oil than pay for storage and still not break even if you manage to sell it in the future.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

"My rights are being taken away!"
What rights are those?
"My first amendment rights!"
Ok, you're voicing your mind and assembling in a group to protest and no action is being taken to stop you
"My rights are being taken away! Tyranny!"
Moron

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Just find some abandoned mine shafts and stuff the oil in there.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Alright, so the commodities traders are desperately looking for people to take the oil off their hands, but it sounds like the problem is that there's simply no physical capacity. Are there facilities somewhere out there that do still have capacity to store crude, but still need a price incentive to do so?

No, all the excess capacity has been used up by people who have been storing oil as it dropped previously, we're just hitting a point where wells that are hard to shut off are still making GBS threads out oil into a system that is literally full up.

Oil is expensive to refine so if there's no demand for refined products, no one will be refining poo poo

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. we could be wrong but i think alot of folks probably hate these assholes plus alot of people lived through the tea party and are mad that the same type of fuckheads are trying to pull the same poo poo when shits life and death and trumps not doing a thing to help. like alot of folks are doing the right thing and these loathsom fucks are making poo poo worse and probably gonna start more outbreaks and more folks will die.

It is a starter pistol though. It's not intended to be some big movement but to get pissed off conservatives frothing at the mouth to be loud and get attention so that media types will have to both sides reopening.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

They are also going to get the Stay at Home extended as new cases spike, so they can take that blame as well

Just a really well thought out and executed plan tbh

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Nenonen posted:

If you have an empty tanker in the Gulf of Mexico, you could make a buck by taking a load! (Typing this out makes me think some mystery oil spills are to be expected...)

Hot Gulf of Mexicans taking big loads for cash. :quagmire:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

SocketWrench posted:

What rights are those?
Ok, you're voicing your mind and assembling in a group to protest and no action is being taken to stop you
Moron

Someone yelling, "Well that’s nice, but I’d rather go to church," when Gordon tried to start things off with a prayer is pretty funny though.

He's lucky that this state is so utterly Republican that all he has to do is survive the primary. Wyoming would be great if it didn't suck on purpose.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

the fact that these people have a say in anything that happens in this country is a glaring problem with the system we have here.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

TulliusCicero posted:

Lmao

Those dozens of people are effectively thousands if the media and the Trump administration are on their side, which they are.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
If anyone asks about the counter-protesters, it's all the people that aren't there. For every "protester" there are tens, if not hundreds of people not showing up to counter-protest because they're not idiots and are keeping themselves and others safe.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

smoobles posted:

It means that people don't want the oil that they paid for and are giving you money to take the oil instead.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

SocketWrench posted:

What rights are those?
Moron

All spoken by people whose rights have literally never been denied to them ever.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

No, all the excess capacity has been used up by people who have been storing oil as it dropped previously, we're just hitting a point where wells that are hard to shut off are still making GBS threads out oil into a system that is literally full up.

Oil is expensive to refine so if there's no demand for refined products, no one will be refining poo poo

The Twitter thread that got posted had a question about what would happen if someone just said gently caress it and didn't pick up their oil. I guess normally the facility would just shrug and sell it at spot price and let the owner deal with the difference, but right now no one's even buying and storage facilities are filling up or are already at capacity. I assume there's some funny nightmare scenario where a trader gets a call to let them know that there's a tanker truck with the meter running in Cushing, OK.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Feldegast42 posted:

Those dozens of people are effectively thousands if the media and the Trump administration are on their side, which they are.

The media besides Fox and OANN?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Also the idea that somehow oil prices are going to rebound significantly is probably wrong (I'm an economic genius). When people are stuck with a bunch of oil nobody wants it's going to affect how much people are going to want to pay for oil next month

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

The Twitter thread that got posted had a question about what would happen if someone just said gently caress it and didn't pick up their oil. I guess normally the facility would just shrug and sell it at spot price and let the owner deal with the difference, but right now no one's even buying and storage facilities are filling up or are already at capacity. I assume there's some funny nightmare scenario where a trader gets a call to let them know that there's a tanker truck with the meter running in Cushing, OK.

This might be a dumb question:

Do barrels of oil physically expire, like as in they become increasingly useless with time?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

The media besides Fox and OANN?

They still give them publicity which still gets out their message -- the exact same thing happened with Trump and it just made him more popular

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

mdemone posted:

This might be a dumb question:

Do barrels of oil physically expire, like as in they become increasingly useless with time?

Unrefined? No. It's millions of years old, leftover organic material from the time of the dinosaurs. IIRC it's processed stuff that can "wear out" like gasoline, which in and of itself takes a year or three? Someone can check me on that. But tl;dr, refined product I think can, unrefined crude can be stored indefinitely.

EDIT

With the caveat that it's SEALED too. Forgot that. You expose it to air and you get the La Brea Tar Pits eventually.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 20, 2020

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fart Amplifier posted:

Also the idea that somehow oil prices are going to rebound significantly is probably wrong (I'm an economic genius). When people are stuck with a bunch of oil nobody wants it's going to affect how much people are going to want to pay for oil next month

Tomorrow it'll almost definitely be positive again. But after this madness and a lot of people getting burned, I won't be shocked if it stays in single digits.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

VH4Ever posted:

Unrefined? No. It's millions of years old, leftover organic material from the time of the dinosaurs. IIRC it's processed stuff that can "wear out" like gasoline, which in and of itself takes a year or three? Someone can check me on that. But tl;dr, refined product I think can, unrefined crude can be stored indefinitely.

Yeah I assumed that must be the case, but I thought maybe temperature/pressure issues in storage could affect it.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Wonder why these dozens of protesters are front page news across the country while the Iraq War and ICE protests weren't covered at all. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Oh

https://twitter.com/politvidchannel/status/1252321784960913409