Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trouser_mouse
Apr 27, 2008

What is the consensus on the best true wireless ear buds for calls? I've tried the Anker SoundCore Liberty Air 2, but the person I'm calling hears a lot of background noise. Are there any in-ear wireless headphones which provide a great calling experience? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Currently considering trading my HD650s up with someone on reddit for a pair of T1s. I hear that the T1s would make for a good upgrade. I'm sort of tired with how washy the HD650s sound and want something more precise. Thoughts guys?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
The new BLON BL05 is available for pre-order, still pretty cheap at $43 retail.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I mean I think the HD650s are pretty amazing and have been around forever. Would you regret giving them up? but also headphones are personal so hard to say?

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Currently considering trading my HD650s up with someone on reddit for a pair of T1s. I hear that the T1s would make for a good upgrade. I'm sort of tired with how washy the HD650s sound and want something more precise. Thoughts guys?

Consider Hifiman Ananda instead of a Beyer T1. T1's have a terrible amt of sibilance.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Has anyone got the RMCE-BT2? I'm planning to get a phone without a headphone jack so I've started looking at bluetooth 5 MMCX headsets for my SE215, this one looks pretty decent.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

5-HT posted:

Consider Hifiman Ananda instead of a Beyer T1. T1's have a terrible amt of sibilance.

Hmm yeah I hear that. But the guy is willing to gimme the T1s for $400 and I feel like that is very good deal

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Hmm yeah I hear that. But the guy is willing to gimme the T1s for $400 and I feel like that is very good deal

Get what you actually want, not just a good deal. $400 is a drat good deal tho lol. Full disclosure, I've never actually heard the T1s, but the only beyer I've every really liked is the 770 80ohm.

You could get an Ananda for $600 right now, cheaper if you look for a deal. Some flavor of LCD2 used would be around your price range also.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ddogflex posted:

Get what you actually want, not just a good deal.

The best advice.

If you're looking at T1s or whatever you're already both feet deep in the rabbit hole. Whatever you buy now, you're still going to buy more down the line because that's what this expensive yet delightful hobby does to us.

True endgame does not exist. It's a burning desire that cannot be quenched. Whether you enjoy your music or not is the most important thing.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Can anyone recommend a good headset with microphone for working remotely? I need something that has good audio clarity for webinars and calls, so something that will work with my computer and phone pretty easily. Any recommendations?

edit: I'd like to get something relatively cheap if possible as it inexplicably looks like I'll be footing the bill myself, but if $20 to $40 is a huge jump in quality I'd rather spend a bit extra, just not from $20 to $120

Tom Tucker fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 20, 2020

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Do you have headphones already? Modmic.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Any headset from a recognised brand will do for basic webinars and conference calls. I use a Turtle Beach Recon 50 and the microphone is fine for videoconferencing (wouldn't want to do broadcast stuff with it though) and the headphones are OK with voice but I wouldn't want to listen to music with them. For £20 it is fine and much better than the inbuilt mic and speakers from laptop.

You will not get good sound quality in that budget but it will be good enough. Turtle Beach, Logitech, Plantronics, Cooler Master, Corsair, Microsoft, Sennheiser or anyone else you will of heard off will be good. The WireCutter did a run down but the cheapest one with a OK mic and sound is around £50. Either spend a little or if you already have decent set of headphones get a modmic or external mic.

Foxtrot_13 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 20, 2020

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Another option instead of headset is to buy a separate microphone.

Even cheaper 50 dollar xlr microphones beat any headset microphone, and then you can use any headphone you want. It's what I went with recently and it is so much better for online meetings, gaming and so on.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
T1 trip report: listened to two hours since getting it, immediately gave me brain shivers. The sense of brightness and space is incredible coming from the hd650. I was worried at first when I made the call to get these badboys after reading lots of complaints of about icepicks in the ears and whatnot. However I am noticing they are fatiguing my ears way faster than my Sennheisers. Hopefully that gets better as I get used to them, because so far they are blowin my socks off.

One thing they made me notice, my hd650's left driver is quieter than the right. Don't know why it didn't become apparent until now. How tough would his to diagnose and fix myself?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i need a headphone recommendation.

i had some AKG K702s that I had for a decade and really liked them, but a driver crapped out recently after getting dropped 10,000 times, and I was tired of replacing old/broken parts.

i got some HD6xxs to replace them, but i'm not totally blown away. I'd just get another set of K702s, but i'm pissed at Harmon Kardon for shipping production off to China.

i'd like something that sounds like the K702, and I also like the Grado SR125s i've had forever, but the Grados just aren't comfortable on my head.

How do the beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro's compare to the K702? I'd be driving them with a Schiit Asgard 3 and a Bifrost 2

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007
The underscore is silent.
Anybody have experience with Lightning-to-3.5mm cables like this? It seems more convenient than the Apple dongle, but I'm curious about sound quality.

Any other solutions to the "nice wired headphones but phone without a 3.5mm jack" problem?

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

_aaron posted:

Anybody have experience with Lightning-to-3.5mm cables like this? It seems more convenient than the Apple dongle, but I'm curious about sound quality.

Any other solutions to the "nice wired headphones but phone without a 3.5mm jack" problem?

Buy a better phone

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007
The underscore is silent.

JK Fresco posted:

Buy a better phone

Oh wow thanks!

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

_aaron posted:

A high quality Bluetooth dac/amp is the way a lot of people have gone, like the Radsone ES100, or Fiio BTR5

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

_aaron posted:

Unless you absolutely need more power stick with the Apple dongle. It's cheap, easy to replace and measures well, and the vast majority of the adapters on the market are garbage.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of headphone jacks...

I got the DT770 Pro 250 Ohm not too long ago thanks to this thread and I'm loving the sound. One thing that's been an issue, however, is the 3.5 mm jack getting pulled out of the front of my computer tower. It's not exactly loose in there per se, but it doesn't take much movement on my part to yank it out. It's really disruptive when it happens, which is pretty often unfortunately, and I switch between two computers pretty regularly so I can't exactly glue it in or anything like that.

I've brainstormed a few homebrewed ways to combat this but before I get weird with it, are there any widely used methods out there for helping to secure a 3.5 mm input while still leaving it available to be taken out quickly and often?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Get a 3.5mm extension cable.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ashex posted:

Has anyone got the RMCE-BT2? I'm planning to get a phone without a headphone jack so I've started looking at bluetooth 5 MMCX headsets for my SE215, this one looks pretty decent.

I have some of these and I'd say they are decent but not perfect. I've used them with se425s. I think they will produce decent sound, battery life is pretty good. The design is slightly annoying with the dongle that hangs down the neck of your shirt, depends on your taste I guess. It did seem to suffer from interference with other wireless devices around and when I was in my home office I had to drop the aptX down to normal from HD.

I ended up buying some over ear wireless headphones and am quite a lot happier with them. Much better at staying connected for one thing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

_aaron posted:

This isn't an immediate or even good solution really but you may want to consider a dedicated digital audio player down the line.

We used to call them MP3 players back in the day but the modern versions are more like android computers married to high powered portable amps with touch screens. Prices range from medium to ridiculous as they're fashion accessories as much as anything else these days. They generally offers multiple types of wired connectivity on the same unit plus bluetooth.

Brands include Sony (under the old Walkman label), Fiio (chi-fi), Astell & Kern (expensive as hell, fashion grade), iBasso (chi-fi), and many others I know nothing about.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

knox_harrington posted:

I have some of these and I'd say they are decent but not perfect. I've used them with se425s. I think they will produce decent sound, battery life is pretty good. The design is slightly annoying with the dongle that hangs down the neck of your shirt, depends on your taste I guess. It did seem to suffer from interference with other wireless devices around and when I was in my home office I had to drop the aptX down to normal from HD.

I ended up buying some over ear wireless headphones and am quite a lot happier with them. Much better at staying connected for one thing.

Thanks for the info, I ended up buying them as I'll need something in the short/mid term. I'll eventually have to buy some form of BL5 headphones, just not sure what yet. Over ear don't work for me due to hair (I even tried the ATH-A550Z) so I'm stuck with IEM.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
Looking for recommendations and directions with research - its hard to tell what's genuine and what's advertising out there.

Budget - 150ish, maybe 200 for something that will last many years
Source - Desktop, motherboard line out connector. Tried to find specs but couldn't find them in the manual. No soundcard or amp but could be convinced as long as it doesnt stretch the budget too much. Have an old xonar x2 soundcard somewhere but not sure if theres a pci slot for it.
Isolation Requirements - Would be nice but if I had to pick then I'd go with more sound quality
Preferred Type of Headphone - Around-ear for comfort
Preferred Tonal Balance - Not positive, probably balanced. See music section
Past Headphones - Mostly Sennheiser hd2xx. A few years ago I had an old 5xx series that was (relatively) amazing
Preferred Music - Generally diverse, some have focus on vocal, some have focus on bass, some trend symphonic. not sure if one size fits all would apply here or if I need to pick.

Phraggah fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 22, 2020

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I have a set of Bose SoundTrue headphones (these are them) and the microphone just poo poo the bed on them. I got them for free with a laptop I ordered for a job I used to have. I have a decent gamer headset for use at home, but these were my set to throw in my messenger bag and travel with, that were relatively light, and I didn't really give a poo poo about. So, I went to the Bose site, and if I want to replace them they'll be kind enough to give me an $80 discount, on the new model, so "only" $150. I'm hoping there's a better option.

Budget: Preferably sub-$100, if someone can give me a really good reason to spend more than that, I'm open to it.
Source: Kindle Fire, Android phone, iPhone, work computers (laptop/desktop) for video/audio conferencing. Listening to music, podcasts, and streaming video in addition to the phone calls and conferencing.
Isolation requirements: Definitely want some isolation, but I'd actually prefer it not to be too much, as I use them when traveling, and like to be at least a little aware of what's going on around me.
Preferred type of headphone: Around-ear. If there's a set that's more breathable, that would actually be great (and something I may be willing to pay more for; I run really hot), but I really don't like the feel of in-ear headphones.
Preferred tonal balance: I'm not terribly picky, and as you can see, I'm planning to use these for a little bit of everything; in thinking about it, I'm worried I may have been spoiled by the Bose, because honestly they do sound pretty good.
Past headphones: The aforementioned Bose SoundTrue, which actually served me very well. I have a Kingston HyperX Cloud gaming headset that I use at home, but I'm definitely not looking for anything that heavy.

I would say my priorities are probably: resiliency (I want to be able to throw them in my bag and not worry about them), comfort (breathability/fitting over my unusually large head; one-size-fits-all hats generally do not fit me), price/sound quality (willing to pay a bit more to get a bit more, here, but I'm definitely not looking for anything audiophile quality or anything). Just need a good, invulnerable, light workhorse headset.

EDIT: Oh, yeah: I would prefer wired, so I don't need to worry about charging. If there's a wireless headset that otherwise fits what I'm looking for really well, I'd go for it, but I would prefer wired.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 23, 2020

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Phraggah posted:

Looking for recommendations and directions with research - its hard to tell what's genuine and what's advertising out there.

Source - Desktop, motherboard line out connector. Tried to find specs but couldn't find them in the manual. No soundcard or amp but could be convinced as long as it doesnt stretch the budget too much. Have an old xonar x2 soundcard somewhere but not sure if theres a pci slot for it.
Isolation Requirements - Would be nice but if I had to pick then I'd go with more sound quality
Past Headphones - Mostly Sennheiser hd2xx. A few years ago I had an old 5xx series that was (relatively) amazing
Preferred Music - Generally diverse, some have focus on vocal, some have focus on bass, some trend symphonic. not sure if one size fits all would apply here or if I need to pick.

Senn/Drop HD58X. It's like $135 if it's your first purchase from Drop. It will work pretty well from your PC out, and if you spend a few bucks (not a ton like $60-75) on an amp for more power they will SING.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Sorry if I'm clogging things up here but I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 and either through wear and tear over time or something I did, the ear foam pad things are a bit messed up. Both foam pad things are a bit torn open from the inside so there's a bit of the inner orange foam exposed. Is this cause for concern? Are there replacements I should consider? Should I move on to a different pair of headphones? The HD 599 look almost identical.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Phraggah posted:

Let's do this but amp things up a little; I'm legitimately in the market for something to use at home but also curious to see what'd be spat out as an answer, if it'd be anything different:

Budget - 300-400CAD (lol)
Source - receiver for records and/or amp for my desktop computer (magni). At home usage.
Isolation requirements - Zilch.
Type - Around ear.
Tonal - Balanced.
Past headphones - Mostly garbage, I think I had some sort of cheapo sennheiser thing in the past that I can't remember.
Preferred music - One-size fits all. You can see my earlier post which ended up with me getting T3s (and being happy with them) as an IEM. They do most of what I'm looking for in my music, but I know it's not really delivering on the bass as much as I'd like, and there's some higher tones that I'm noticing aren't really being conveyed properly without some loss of clarity.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Ryuga Death posted:

Sorry if I'm clogging things up here but I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 and either through wear and tear over time or something I did, the ear foam pad things are a bit messed up. Both foam pad things are a bit torn open from the inside so there's a bit of the inner orange foam exposed. Is this cause for concern? Are there replacements I should consider? Should I move on to a different pair of headphones? The HD 599 look almost identical.

You can get replacements, a quick search led me to these on Amazon - can't vouch for them personally. I've never replaced them, but it looks fairly straightforward.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Is there a good A/B test for determining if headphones would benefit from an amplifier? If you had a setup that was struggling to get good output, how would you pick out the difference?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

sirbeefalot posted:

You can get replacements, a quick search led me to these on Amazon - can't vouch for them personally. I've never replaced them, but it looks fairly straightforward.

They're easy to replace. Dekoni is like the standard recommended brand for replacement and they have a bunch of different choices, but are more expensive.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.

ddogflex posted:

Senn/Drop HD58X. It's like $135 if it's your first purchase from Drop. It will work pretty well from your PC out, and if you spend a few bucks (not a ton like $60-75) on an amp for more power they will SING.

Was looking at these already - thanks!

I also saw Senn HD 599 SE's on Amazon for 135, does anyone know if there's a huge difference between those two pairs?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Phraggah posted:

I also saw Senn HD 599 SE's on Amazon for 135, does anyone know if there's a huge difference between those two pairs?

Yeah they're totally different models. 58x is 600/650 (6xx) tier, a cut above 598/599.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Phraggah posted:

The 58X is a higher series, much better. It's probably most similar to the HD 660, but not quite there. The 660 is like $500 still though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The most important thing to know about the HD599 is the headband has basically zero padding and you get a pressure point on top of your head because of the clamp design.

Frankly unless it's heavily discounted I don't think the HD599 sounds as good as it costs anyway. Looks very nice though. Can't argue with that styling.

Also yeah the HD6-whatever series is far, far superior in pretty much every aspect. Pretend the 58X Jubilees are a 6-whatever series for this comparison. The Sennheiser Massdrop 58X Jubilees basically killed any reason for most of their own (Sennheiser's) budget offerings to exist. Made sense to do it I guess, the mass consumer market went massively wireless in a quite short period of time.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 25, 2020

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Kalsco posted:

Let's do this but amp things up a little; I'm legitimately in the market for something to use at home but also curious to see what'd be spat out as an answer, if it'd be anything different:

Budget - 300-400CAD (lol)
Source - receiver for records and/or amp for my desktop computer (magni). At home usage.
Isolation requirements - Zilch.
Type - Around ear.
Tonal - Balanced.
Past headphones - Mostly garbage, I think I had some sort of cheapo sennheiser thing in the past that I can't remember.
Preferred music - One-size fits all. You can see my earlier post which ended up with me getting T3s (and being happy with them) as an IEM. They do most of what I'm looking for in my music, but I know it's not really delivering on the bass as much as I'd like, and there's some higher tones that I'm noticing aren't really being conveyed properly without some loss of clarity.

Hifiman Sundara. they routinely go on sale for $299 usd and are worth every penny. most bang for buck sub $1000 headphone

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

on another note, I just picked up an Audeze Deckard for a steal on eBay ($300).

know it doesn’t measure the best according to Amir but I’ve never seen a single ended headphone amp that can push almost half a watt (410 mW) into 300 ohms. that’s insanity.

also needed some closed backs again since my wife is on a kick for practicing ping pong and her table is right in my office space.... DT 1770 pros coming in on Monday. will post my impressions once I get them in hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Piling on the bandwagon that there is absolutely no contest between the 58X and 599, particularly if they're at a similar price point