Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Xaiter posted:

This... This was the entire grand scope of the original game. It spends the entire game building up to this. It's the central conflict of the story!

The resolution of this conflict is the climax of the friggin' tale!

I'm saying that the ending of Remake is a bigger, grander scope than THAT. And they only just left Midgar. You can't scale the story back to Sephiroth "only" wants to take over the world and have a globe trotting adventure. That's a massive downgrade in stakes and scope. It's nonsensical. You've either gotta go full FF13 crazy or retcon that stuff out. Otherwise, the whole narrative just wouldn't make a lick of sense if thought about for more than one second.

C'mon. You can see what I mean here. One event is literally the finale of an entire game. Other is larger than the former and takes place at the end of Act 1 in a three/four act play. Where do you go after punching out the physical manifestation of fate?

You're overplaying the power and importance of the Whispers. They aren't Fate Itself. They're its servants and enforcers. They try to make things flow in the direction the planet wants them to. Hell, they're even fallible--they fail to stop Sephiroth from doing things multiple times and have to scramble to clean up afterwards, like when they fail to stop him from stabbing Barret.

In other words, the Whispers aren't The Actual Destiny Itself. They serve it and try to make it come true, but they aren't the thing itself. It's an important distinction. Remember that in this world, "fate" is just a synonym for "the will of the planet." It's not something that was set in stone at any point--it's just what the planet knows needs to happen to guarantee its survival like what happened in the original game. If things go a different way, the planet could still be saved, but it's no longer guaranteed.

I mean I won't deny that the ending is bombastic as gently caress--maybe too much so for my taste--but we just saw Sephiroth absorb the Whispers after defying them multiple times himself throughout the game. He's been the bigger threat the whole time. The Whispers are just some Time Cop jabronis who couldn't even manage to stop an ex-Shinra grunt, a bartender, Avalanche, a local florist, and a lab rat dog. Like they're not even good enforcers of fate. Even when people can't see them they're far from invisible, throwing poo poo around and pulling people out of rooms and poo poo like that. If that's how fate works, fate's a fuckin' chump. The Whispers are basically Obsidian Weapon: a pseudo-intelligent enforcer the planet made to go "can we make these idiots actually listen to me?"

And to reiterate: killing the Whispers doesn't give our characters some sort of power over destiny, or time travel power, or anything. It undid some of the things the Whispers themselves made happen, but remember that the Whispers haven't been involved in, like, the vast majority of things that happened during the game, let alone things that happened before it, or far back into history. They didn't even undo everything the Whispers did--if they had, Barret would have a new Masamune-shaped hole in his chest during the ending. If the Whispers weren't involved in something, killing them wouldn't change it, because all it appears killing the Whispers did is making it so they can't physically force things to go their way anymore.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Who now must be a greater scope villain that he previously was. He's not just wresting control of the planet, he's going full Ultimecia trying to control time and fate.

Which IMO means we are descending into the pits of FF13/15 style meta-narrative insanity. It's the only way to move forward.

That's stuff that makes me go "This is not a Remake, it's a new story wrapping the old one".

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Can we take a break from fate and admit that the Chapter 18 was a complete ripoff of Astral Chain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5fR01Iz3Aw&t=339s

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Can we take a break from fate and admit that the Chapter 18 was a complete ripoff of Astral Chain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5fR01Iz3Aw&t=339s

Yeah, but it a good way?

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Harrow posted:

You're overplaying the power and importance of the Whispers. They aren't Fate Itself. They're its servants and enforcers. They try to make things flow in the direction the planet wants them to. Hell, they're even fallible--they fail to stop Sephiroth from doing things multiple times and have to scramble to clean up afterwards, like when they fail to stop him from stabbing Barret.

We had a tangent about this before, and we're definitely on different pages with the interpretation.

I contest if their defeat is able to retroactively change history/create new timelines... Uh.. they're kinda woven into the fabric of reality. That's not just the will of some entity expressing itself. It's a fundamental aspect of reality. Or, at least, that entity is part of the very fabric of reality like a God.

If the will of the planet can literally travel through time, then it is for all intents and purposes literally actually Fate. And just because Sephiroth can beat it doesn't detract from it's omnipotence because our heroes do the same thing and it's considered a good thing that demonstrates their will to forge their own futures. It's considered an example their strength of character that they can actually overcome their pre-written destiny and make their own path.

...and none of this discussion above sounds like it belongs in an FF7 Remake. :smith:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Xaiter posted:

Who now must be a greater scope villain that he previously was. He's not just wresting control of the planet, he's going full Ultimecia trying to control time and fate.

What it looks like he's doing so far is using his foreknowledge of events--which could either be because he's from the future or just because he managed to get knowledge of the future and the planet's will through the lifestream--to make sure his original plan actually works. He still wants to summon Meteor and then suck up the lifestream from the wound to become a god, but now he appears to know how he might lose, and can manipulate the characters so that he doesn't lose in the same way. That's not quite Ultimecia level, necessarily.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Xaiter posted:

Which IMO means we are descending into the pits of FF13/15 style meta-narrative insanity. It's the only way to move forward.

That's stuff that makes me go "This is not a Remake, it's a new story wrapping the old one".

If he had the opportunity to do that in the original, he totally would have. In fact, I'm not convinced he didn't have the power to do so, the entire Safer Sephiroth fight is cementing the fact that he's for all intents and purposes a god much like Kefka was.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Xaiter posted:

No it doesn’t. Sephiroth somehow learned he would lose if things went on track. Things are now not on track and he can now try to summon meteor and eat the lifestream without it being assured he would fail.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sephiroth is now going to try to speedrun FF7 and win while Aerith and crew figure out how just much they hosed things up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Xaiter posted:

We had a tangent about this before, and we're definitely on different pages with the interpretation.

I contest if their defeat is able to retroactively change history/create new timelines... Uh.. they're kinda woven into the fabric of reality. That's not just the will of some entity expressing itself. It's a fundamental aspect of reality. Or, at least, that entity is part of the very fabric of reality like a God.

But remember that their influence is incredibly localized. The Whispers aren't All Of Fate and Destiny--they exist very specifically to influence very specific events so that the plot of FF7 happens the same way (in the big picture, at least). They appear to exist outside of linear time so that killing them in the present also kills them in the past, or maybe what we saw of Zack as an alternate timeline, who knows. But the point is that if their influence is very localized, then so are the effects of killing them. They're powerful, but in a very specific, very localized way.

To go back to your North Corel example: killing the Whispers probably had no effect on North Corel at all. It isn't that important to the main plot of FF7. Hell, it's so unimportant to the main plot that the original game lets you gently caress up badly enough to destroy it and the story can still go on. The Whispers probably didn't do poo poo over there, so killing them doesn't let the characters magically make things better.

Xaiter posted:

If the will of the planet can literally travel through time, then it is for all intents and purposes literally actually Fate. And just because Sephiroth can beat it doesn't detract from it's omnipotence because our heroes do the same thing and it's considered a good thing that demonstrates their will to forge their own futures. It's considered an example their strength of character that they can actually overcome their pre-written destiny and make their own path.

I'd argue that it's treated in a more conflicted way than being an unalloyed "good thing." Aerith still appears very conflicted about it and, given that she's one of the characters who appears to have some foreknowledge this time around, that seems meaningful. Cloud, too, seems freaked out by the idea that Sephiroth wanted them to kill the Whispers when Sephiroth asks him to "defy destiny together."

It's a very uncertain thing, not necessarily a purely good thing. It represents freedom, but it's made very clear to us through Aerith and Sephiroth that freedom might open the door for a better future--but it also opens the door for a much worse one. The ending sees the characters take a huge risk without having any idea how it'll pay off. It's maybe a triumphant moment when they kill the Whisper Harbinger, but it goes right back to feeling conflicted and uncertain soon afterwards.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Xaiter posted:

...and none of this discussion above sounds like it belongs in an FF7 Remake. :smith:

Dude you are never getting FFVII but pretty, just let the dream die. It's clearly just hurting you at this point.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Harrow posted:

What it looks like he's doing so far is using his foreknowledge of events--which could either be because he's from the future or just because he managed to get knowledge of the future and the planet's will through the lifestream--to make sure his original plan actually works. He still wants to summon Meteor and then suck up the lifestream from the wound to become a god, but now he appears to know how he might lose, and can manipulate the characters so that he doesn't lose in the same way. That's not quite Ultimecia level, necessarily.

RevolverDivider posted:

No it doesn’t. Sephiroth somehow learned he would lose if things went on track. Things are now not on track and he can now try to summon meteor and eat the lifestream without it being assured he would fail.

If Sephiroth is using the outcome of the original story to change history and avoid that destiny... That's kinda my point about the FF8 thing. Time travel and multiple timelines are now part of the central narrative. Sephiroth is a cross-dimensional time traveling ghost.

That's the FF13/15 style insanity I'm alluding to.

Pollyanna posted:

If he had the opportunity to do that in the original, he totally would have. In fact, I'm not convinced he didn't have the power to do so, the entire Safer Sephiroth fight is cementing the fact that he's for all intents and purposes a god much like Kefka was.

This is 100% believable. And I could totally buy that with his godlike power at the end of the original he sent his ghost into the past to try again and that's the event that triggers the timeline deviation kickstarting FF7 Remake.... Meanwhile, the planet had been working with the fate ghosts to prevent Sephiroth from actually pulling off this plan.

oh gently caress that makes too much sense jesus christ that better not actually be the plot aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Mulva posted:

Dude you are never getting FFVII but pretty, just let the dream die. It's clearly just hurting you at this point.

I dunno why you're so keen to kill off an interesting debate. I think Xaiter's posts are interesting.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

To follow off my last post, if I have a complaint about the Whispers, it's that this game very early on sets up the main characters as Chosen Ones through them. In the original, they aren't "chosen" at all, or all that special. They fall into their roles because of who they are and because they met Aerith, not because they're special Chosen Heroes.

This time around, their importance was sort of forced on them by the Whispers. Like I noted in my replies to Xaiter, the Whispers don't really care about anyone else. They exist specifically to usher our heroes down the path that leads them to do The Plot of FF7. Anything outside of that is totally outside of their influence, either by choice or by design. That automatically makes our heroes Very Special People right off the bat.

I'm kind of okay with it, though, just on a meta level, for the same reason I'm okay with there being a lot of Sephiroth in this game. Everyone going into this game knows Cloud and Sephiroth are Very Important People in this world, and a lot of people have really built up their conflict to mythical proportions in their head. This remake is just going ahead and leaning into that, really playing up that legendary hero/villain relationship between the two, and Sephiroth's legendary status as a great and terrifying villain. So it ends up working okay for me, even if I generally tend to roll my eyes at Chosen One-style narratives, just because it seems like the remake is really leaning into the idea that this is Retelling A Myth in a way.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean, I agree that FF8 should have been the game to get this treatment but that's just because I love FF8

My man, I am torn. I think I want to love FF8, but I just can't. Junction is probably simultaneously the most tedious customization system in an FF and by far the easiest to break open, even if you engage with it on the game's terms. The cast is largely horrible outside of Squall and Quistis, and Laguna if you wanna count him. The plot is straight up nonsense, and only sometimes in a fun way. Rinoa, the main love interest!, is child-like in a way that honestly kinda creeps me out, having replayed it on the Switch relatively recently. The last 20% of the game or so is straight up garbage if R=U is truly not a valid reading of the story. I have some strong feelings about FF8.

FF8 had like... a demo disc? Something, and it came out with like I wanna say Jet Moto 2 and some other cool poo poo. But all I cared about was playing the FF8 demo after being so obsessed with FF7, and the song that plays for the Dollet mission is SO GOOD, and the FMV had me crazy hype, and it was gonna have like a school setting? which I did not realize was incredibly commonplace in Japanese popular culture, particularly videogames and anime, so I was like "COOL???? I THINK????"

And then the goddamn game came out and I kept thinking I was going to eventually like it until it ended and I realized I didn't like it.

If they were to remake FF8 they'd have to start almost from scratch. UGH FF8.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Xaiter posted:

This is 100% believable. And I could totally buy that with his godlike power at the end of the original he sent his ghost into the past to try again and that's the event that triggers the timeline deviation kickstarting FF7 Remake.... Meanwhile, the planet had been working with the fate ghosts to prevent Sephiroth from actually pulling off this plan.

oh gently caress that makes too much sense jesus christ that better not actually be the plot aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I mean, that's actually what's happening (speculation about how Sephiroth is doing it aside). The first divergence is right when Aerith shows up in the opening sequence, and the force ghosts only show up to prevent her from leaving after he makes his presence known. Neither Sephiroth nor Jenova were active in the original FFVII until Cloud sees Jenova in the tank in the Shinra Tower. This is where the timeline diverges.

Aerith also gets memories from the future from the force ghosts apparently (probably because she's an Ancient), and that is what causes her to act differently than in the original, as well.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Necrothatcher posted:

I dunno why you're so keen to kill off an interesting debate. I think Xaiter's posts are interesting.

It doesn't seem fun for them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Xaiter posted:

I'm sorry to say that probably is what's happening, give or take some details.

It's debatable whether this is Future Sephiroth or whether Sephiroth was just able to sense the planet's will through the lifestream. Either way, the Whispers are very explicitly manifested by the planet to help the heroes stop Sephiroth by forcing them to go down a path that will definitely result in his defeat. Whether it's due to time travel or just precognition, the planet seems aware that if the events of FF7 happen, Sephiroth will be defeated, so it uses the Whispers to try to force that to come to pass.

Sephiroth wants the Whispers gone because, obviously, if they get their way he loses. Aerith, meanwhile, wants the Whispers gone because if they're gone, there's a chance--even if it's a slim one--that the future could be even better, and while she's conflicted, she's willing to take that risk (and her friends are willing to follow her).

Whether there's actual time travel, parallel timelines, etc. is up for interpretation--nothing's confirmed or denied--but in general that's what the point of the Whispers is, yeah.

That's what I mean when I say they aren't Fate Itself. They are the planet's way of trying to force a very specific narrative on a very specific group of people, but they don't really have anything to do with most people's lives, or even most of the world. They just deal with the Chosen Final Fantasy VII Crew and that's it.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Mulva posted:

It doesn't seem fun for them.

Or anyone, really, except for people who seem really insistent to either misinterpret what other people are saying or just make poo poo up whole cloth. It's exhausting at this point.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also Xaiter keeps bringing up FF13/15 as crazy meta insanity and while I'm sure Lightning Returns goes that route, I don't really remember the original FF13, or FF15, being particularly meta. I remember them having sloppy stories with character motivations that sometimes make no sense, and in FF15's case a story that's just really chopped up and disconnected, but they don't really go batshit meta crazy.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Barring whatever's going on with Zack, I dunno why this would make the story any more complex. Sephiroth is just gonna be trying different things and being a bigger rear end in a top hat to Cloud.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harrow posted:

To follow off my last post, if I have a complaint about the Whispers, it's that this game very early on sets up the main characters as Chosen Ones through them. In the original, they aren't "chosen" at all, or all that special. They fall into their roles because of who they are and because they met Aerith, not because they're special Chosen Heroes.

This time around, their importance was sort of forced on them by the Whispers. Like I noted in my replies to Xaiter, the Whispers don't really care about anyone else. They exist specifically to usher our heroes down the path that leads them to do The Plot of FF7. Anything outside of that is totally outside of their influence, either by choice or by design. That automatically makes our heroes Very Special People right off the bat.

I'm kind of okay with it, though, just on a meta level, for the same reason I'm okay with there being a lot of Sephiroth in this game. Everyone going into this game knows Cloud and Sephiroth are Very Important People in this world, and a lot of people have really built up their conflict to mythical proportions in their head. This remake is just going ahead and leaning into that, really playing up that legendary hero/villain relationship between the two, and Sephiroth's legendary status as a great and terrifying villain. So it ends up working okay for me, even if I generally tend to roll my eyes at Chosen One-style narratives, just because it seems like the remake is really leaning into the idea that this is Retelling A Myth in a way.
That's part of the metanarrative for sure, but imo averted by the final forms of the time ghosts being explicitly manifestations of cloud, barret, and tifa from the future. So you can read it as less the planet's will thrusting importance onto the characters, and more their future selves recognizing the importance of the past actions that brought them to the conclusion of FF7

(and when the timecops invariably return in part 2 will probably have more agency in things rather than just trying to maintain the status quo)

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

That's part of the metanarrative for sure, but imo averted by the final forms of the time ghosts being explicitly manifestations of cloud, barret, and tifa from the future. So you can read it as less the planet's will thrusting importance onto the characters, and more their future selves recognizing the importance of the past actions that brought them to the conclusion of FF7

(and when the timecops invariably return in part 2 will probably have more agency in things rather than just trying to maintain the status quo)

I wouldn't interpret it as their future selves so much as a manifestation of their destinies. So not time travel from a future that already exists, just an humanoid blob that represents their potential (and expected) future.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

homeless snail posted:

I'd be surprised if the Time Cops returned in part 2, if only because it looked like Sephiroth absorbed them all while they were weakened from fighting Cloud and Co. I figure that's within his wheelhouse because they're born from the lifestream and, well, Sephiroth's all about sucking up power from the lifestream, it's like his whole thing. Why not the Time Cops, too?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

homeless snail posted:

There was somebody who pointed out that the Whisper avatars also map kinda neatly onto the AC antagonists and I'm not sure how I really want to interpret that part of the ending. I'm trying to let more of it digest before getting super deep into that, and I might just wind up holding off until the sequel (much like with speculation about wtf is going on with Zack, which I just don't think anyone is equipped to actually answer yet).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Go full Chrono Cross where our heroes loving up the timeline has resulted in Shinra being more of a threat than Sephiroth. They conquer the world while our heroes are off trying to deal with Seph.

OG Shinra was basically Dalton.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Just Andi Now posted:

I mean, that's actually what's happening (speculation about how Sephiroth is doing it aside). The first divergence is right when Aerith shows up in the opening sequence, and the force ghosts only show up to prevent her from leaving after he makes his presence known. Neither Sephiroth nor Jenova were active in the original FFVII until Cloud sees Jenova in the tank in the Shinra Tower. This is where the timeline diverges.

Aerith also gets memories from the future from the force ghosts apparently (probably because she's an Ancient), and that is what causes her to act differently than in the original, as well.

Yeah, this explains a LOT of what happened. Like.... perfectly. It would give us a clear branching point, but I think it's further back than Shinra Tower. It's probably back to the moment of his death via mako bath in the Nib reactor 5 years before the game starts.

Which would explain why Cloud's own history with AVALANCHE and everything is different coming into the story to begin with... Now, I'm not so sure Zach is an alternative timeline.

I'm starting to suspect Sephiroth tried to do something with Zach and that's why the Fate ghosts are there. When defeat them, Sephiroth gets his way and history is altered. Aeris even tell us "we might be changing ourselves". Maybe Cloud remembers the events leading up to this point differently and oh of course Zach is alive, he never died lol.

I guess we won't know until the next part, but that would allow the giant insane ending to make sense.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They do, but that wouldn't make any kind of narrative sense so I find that very unlikely.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Harrow posted:

I'd be surprised if the Time Cops returned in part 2, if only because it looked like Sephiroth absorbed them all while they were weakened from fighting Cloud and Co. I figure that's within his wheelhouse because they're born from the lifestream and, well, Sephiroth's all about sucking up power from the lifestream, it's like his whole thing. Why not the Time Cops, too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0Zr_C74DQU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Regarding Sephiroth attempting to change things regarding Zack... The game does open panning over the cliff where Zack would have died, with the musical sting happening around that time, implying his influence is there. I wouldn't be surprised if that shot was there for multiple purposes.

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

Necrothatcher posted:

I too am interested in a debate and discussion over various points in the remake discussion. At a certain point though it does seem like we keep circling the same points, there seems to be two different kinds of people who played this game and for the most part liked it. Some liked the ending, or at the very least were okay with what it represented to the story going forward. Others however did not like the ending and are going so far as to call it a betrayal or deceitful even calling itself a remake. The dictionary definition argument has gone around a bunch and gets dismissed out of hand, but remake DOES mean to make something again, new or differently. My argument is that what constitutes a remake to me is not the same as what others here claim they are asking for.

For the most part it seems the the majority of people who were in the camp of not liking the ending, didn't want a 'remake'. Perhaps a more accurate word for what they view this game as would be 'reimagining' perhaps? It seems as though if the game were more clearly marketed or titled as a 'reimagining' these people wouldn't be here now complaining they simply would not have bought the game in the first place. Though I'm not sure how much I believe this I will put my doubts to one side and presume people are saying this honestly. From what I can tell, what these people thought they wanted, or thought they were getting with remake was explicitly not a 'reimagining' but more like a 'remaster' or 'replacement' of the original game. At which point people being upset with the ending is logical and completely understandable. What some of these people, not all, don't seem to understand is that not everybody wanted a remaster/replacement, and those people don't feel betrayed or lied to by the game being called remake, because it literally is. There's some further discussion via specific interpretations of the ending, and I'm really not seeing Xaiter's reading of it myself having gone through the ending a few times, I'm leaning toward Harrow's interpretation of events.

This may seem like stupid pedantry over definitions of a word, but apparently this one word is responsible for a bunch of people having very different expectations going in.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I want to switch gears, what would Seph want with Zack alive? Hasten Cloud’s psychotic break by having Zack confront his delusions? Maybe try to turn Zack to his side in a bid to get Cloud to turn? Or maybe is this a unintended side effect of the ending?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Xaiter posted:

Yeah, this explains a LOT of what happened. Like.... perfectly. It would give us a clear branching point, but I think it's further back than Shinra Tower. It's probably back to the moment of his death via mako bath in the Nib reactor 5 years before the game starts.

Which would explain why Cloud's own history with AVALANCHE and everything is different coming into the story to begin with... Now, I'm not so sure Zach is an alternative timeline.

I'm starting to suspect Sephiroth tried to do something with Zach and that's why the Fate ghosts are there. When defeat them, Sephiroth gets his way and history is altered. Aeris even tell us "we might be changing ourselves". Maybe Cloud remembers the events leading up to this point differently and oh of course Zach is alive, he never died lol.

I guess we won't know until the next part, but that would allow the giant insane ending to make sense.

It could also be that the time ghosts ensure Zack dies just because that's so important to getting Cloud to where he needs to be. If Zack doesn't die, Cloud doesn't go with Barret to Reactor 1, doesn't go with them to Reactor 5, doesn't meet Aerith, etc. If Zack lives, Cloud isn't the hero the planet needs him to be.

Whether he's in an alternate timeline or not, like others have said we just don't know enough. Did our own timeline change enough that Stamp looks different now? That'd be weird given that the Whispers didn't seem to really do anything with Stamp. If there's an alternate timeline where Zack is alive, does it end up mattering to our story? Will we see any more of it or was it just shown to us as an "anything is possible now" tease?

Tune in for part 2 to find out, I guess!

I guess I'm not personally tired of speculating about it yet :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

I want to switch gears, what would Seph want with Zack alive? Hasten Cloud’s psychotic break by having Zack confront his delusions? Maybe try to turn Zack to his side in a bid to get Cloud to turn? Or maybe is this a unintended side effect of the ending?

My take is that saving Zack was an unintended side-effect of killing the Whispers because they were the force that ensured his death in the first place.

That said, yeah, I could see Zack forcing Cloud's psychotic break sooner, but that doesn't necessarily help Sephiroth, nor does Zack getting in the way between Cloud and Aerith (since Sephiroth seems to want Cloud to save Aerith). I thought maybe he could use Zack since he's also an attempted Sephiroth Clone, but if I'm remembering correctly, Zack was strong enough to withstand the Jenova cells, unlike Cloud.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

That's an interesting way to spell tedious.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Harrow posted:

Also Xaiter keeps bringing up FF13/15 as crazy meta insanity and while I'm sure Lightning Returns goes that route, I don't really remember the original FF13, or FF15, being particularly meta. I remember them having sloppy stories with character motivations that sometimes make no sense, and in FF15's case a story that's just really chopped up and disconnected, but they don't really go batshit meta crazy.

I'm referring the literal concepts of Fate and Destiny.

Like 13's Fal'Cie is the planet. And the heroes are the L'Cie fighting against their prescribed fate.

Or 15's predestination "you can't fight fate, but you can live up to your name and love people" narrative.

Lightning Returns is the worst case, where Lightning Cloud is forced to deal with a collapsing reality caused by challenging the Fal'Cie planet's will and shattering time itself. Fate is important and dumb people who challenge it only make things worse.

When I first saw "Arbiter of Fate" on my screen, I started having Lightning Returns flashbacks and felt something inside me die. I think it was hope. Not Hope, though I would love to feed his character into a woodchipper feet first.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Also apropos of nothing I'd just like to thank this thread for being wholesome in it's discussion of ships. Every where else that poo poo gets downright toxic and awful and quite frankly when you don't hate any characters hearing people endlessly poo poo talk them gets real old real fast.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Final scene of the Final Final Fantasy 7R, you go back to the Nibelheim flashback except this time Cloud, Tifa, and Zack kill Sephiroth for real and he doesn't fall into the lifestream. Flash forward sequence through various points in the timeline that the timecops were moderating, the timelines no longer diverge and instead all converge, all possible outcomes existing simultaneously

Iris zoom in on Aerith standing in the church in Neo Midgar over her flowers, Zack and Cloud lean in on either side and kiss her cheeks. The End, and Tetsuya Nomuras autograph right below it.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

This is Nomura so actually everyone is dead now, half of the cast was relegated to obscurity and pointlessness, and Sephiroth has sixteen times more cutscenes where he says "... mm... that place..." or something like it, over and over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

Actually I just had a thought, this probably doesn't have an interesting answer beyond, it's the same in both languages. Either way, my question to anyone familiar with Japanese in the thread is how does the Japanese interpretation/definition of 'Remake' compare the the English definition. Just wondering if this was an oversight in Japanese where remake doesn't necessarily carry the same connotations as it might in other media in English. It had never occurred to me before reading this thread that people would get so hung up over what the word remake actually means with regard to how much of FF7 you can cut/add/change before it stops being a remake of FF7.