Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The used the English word Remake rendered in katakana, リメイク

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Speaking of shipping, I wonder how much of the Jessie's personality we have in this game is an expansion of the original Jessie and how much is just a completely new character.

In the original, she was thirsty for Cloud, but like... bookworm thirsty. She wipes dirt off Cloud's face, she shows off a cool video that shows how the train system works, she makes a super special fake ID just for Cloud, and so on.

In the new one, she's flirty, sassy, outgoing, an aspiring actress, and who is probably hiding behind a lot of fake personality (she can't even let go of her mask when she's dying). And she gets more pathos, for sure.

At the same time, it's much less inventing a personality so much as supplanting an old one, it feels like.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

This is Nomura so actually everyone is dead now, half of the cast was relegated to obscurity and pointlessness, and Sephiroth has sixteen times more cutscenes where he says "... mm... that place..." or something like it, over and over again

He then pulls out a photograph of Cloud and starts "hmm hmm hmming" at it while Roche watches this exchange through the window with his bike.

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

homeless snail posted:

The used the English word Remake rendered in katakana, リメイク

Yeah figured it would just be this. Still, I'd bet there's an interesting linguistics discussion to be had about it by people who actually know linguistics.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think there's also sort of a Bravely Default thing going on with the title where it has an in-story significance that wasn't immediately apparent. Sure, Square-Enix is remaking Final Fantasy VII, but so are the characters in-universe. So it's a double meaning!

Anyway this is why I think the future parts won't have "Remake" in the title and will have different subtitles.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

AnarkiJ posted:

For the most part it seems the the majority of people who were in the camp of not liking the ending, didn't want a 'remake'. Perhaps a more accurate word for what they view this game as would be 'reimagining' perhaps? It seems as though if the game were more clearly marketed or titled as a 'reimagining' these people wouldn't be here now complaining they simply would not have bought the game in the first place.

Though I'm not sure how much I believe this I will put my doubts to one side and presume people are saying this honestly. From what I can tell, what these people thought they wanted, or thought they were getting with remake was explicitly not a 'reimagining' but more like a 'remaster' or 'replacement' of the original game. At which point people being upset with the ending is logical and completely understandable. What some of these people, not all, don't seem to understand is that not everybody wanted a remaster/replacement, and those people don't feel betrayed or lied to by the game being called remake, because it literally is.

There's some further discussion via specific interpretations of the ending, and I'm really not seeing Xaiter's reading of it myself having gone through the ending a few times, I'm leaning toward Harrow's interpretation of events.

This may seem like stupid pedantry over definitions of a word, but apparently this one word is responsible for a bunch of people having very different expectations going in.

I've had to express this point multiple times...

I don't want a Remaster. I don't want a 1:1 remake that is exactly the same. I just want an updated retelling of the story for modern times. Fix up the crap while they're at it.

Every single change introduced in FF7R up until Destiny's Crossroads is stuff I overwhelming love. It's an excellent remake UNTIL they reveal:

1. The original story already happened.
2. The original story is fate, trying to be enforced by the will of the planet.
3. The goal of this story is to prevent the original story from happening so we can get a better ending.

That's where they lost me. All of the changes up to that point had me hyped as hell. More than I could have ever dreamed of. To say that I'm just being grumpy because it's different is to completely mischaracterize what I think and feel about the game. I'm fine with different, we NEEDED different.

I don't think we needed to add timelines and time travel and fate and destiny and whatnot. Those are not elements of the original narrative and shoehorning them deviates so far from the original source material I can't consider it a retelling of the original story. It's a new story about how hard it is to update an old beloved story, at best. At worst, it's their creative director having an FF7 fever dream huffing rubber cement a little too deeply.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I mean I thought it became glaringly obvious there were Destiny shenanigans at play as soon as Wedge jumped the rails on his scheduled horrible death, then the ghosts showed up to try and Final Destination him

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What level are you expected to fight Bahamut at?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Xaiter posted:

We've noticed.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
There is actually nothing in the game that makes explicit that the original game actually happened in the canon of this game, like, at all. If anything a more concrete reading is that Destiny is a fated history that has yet to come to these characters; you could speculate about whether or not Sephiroth is time-traveling or whether or not Zack is in our timeline or if there will be diverging timelines at all, but you must accept that this is purely speculative. In the context of FF7R it is just as likely that actually FF7 didn't happen, it was supposed to happen and now it won't; how we know it was supposed to happen is given personification in the Whispers, who could very well just be dead for the remainder of the sub-series. The diegetic goal of the characters, though only Aerith is actually aware of it, is to change the outcome that Destiny foretold.

When you say "different" you actually mean "only cosmetic or irrelevant differences." Because FF7R's changes, up until the ending, are chiefly only cosmetic or mechanical, and of extremely little consequence. I don't know why this argument keeps circling this specific drain. It is okay that you don't like FF7R, and it is okay to want a faithful recreation of the game and plot that you liked and wanted to get invested in, but to pretend like your language isn't super-dee-duper loaded when you make these arguments is just specious, what with all the "TOSS IT IN THE GARBAGE BIN WITH ALL THE OTHER GARBAGE" you keep managing to sneak in there. It is extremely tiresome. Everything you've posted is either an almost deliberate misreading of the events of the game or pure speculation on your part, and it only serves to make you progressively more annoyed. What is the point of all of this aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

e: nevermind

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 20, 2020

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

You probably want to be at 50 for Bahamut. Which you'll end up at in a real hurry if you clear a couple chapters in Hard

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Flopsy posted:

We've noticed.

Seems some folks haven't.

I love being told that I'm only grumpy because it isn't an exact 1:1 perfect remake with no changes and that's the only thing I really want despite saying otherwise.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

What level are you expected to fight Bahamut at?

35+ for sure. Bahamut is definitely a party check - either you have the damage output to burn him down or stagger him during a countdown phase and you can win pretty easily, or you don't and have to survive a Megaflare. Surviving Megaflare comes down to either spending 500 gil on Revival Earrings, or unlocking weapon level 6 and equipping weapons with Reprieve on them, or keeping Manawall up on your characters.

Of note is that level starts mattering significantly less as you approach FF7R's true "endgame" content, namely Hard mode and the optional Shinra Battle Simulator encounters. Materia setup and mechanical skill with the battle system are paramount, because you'll hit the level cap long before you can beat all the optional content and a lot of said content is tuned assuming you already are level 50 as it is.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

You probably want to be at 50 for Bahamut. Which you'll end up at in a real hurry if you clear a couple chapters in Hard
Probably also want a fair number of manuscripts, weapon level 6 has some good poo poo

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Some corrections, if you want to take the ending literally instead of metaphorically:

Xaiter posted:

I don't think this is what the game was trying to say. It's not a time loop just because someone has visions of the future, right?

quote:

The will of the planet is trying to enforce the assured pyrrhic victory of the original story, and Red XIII calls it Fate.

quote:

3. The goal of this story is to prevent the original story from happening so we can get a better ending.

Aerith, somehow slightly aware of the future and that the party goes through a lot of hardships to win, says "gently caress that" and convinces the party to gently caress up the ghosts forcing them towards the original ending, because she thinks they can do better than the original ending. Though she's also aware that they could do a hell of a lot worse.

quote:

To say that I'm just being grumpy because it's different is to completely mischaracterize what I think and feel about the game. I'm fine with different, we NEEDED different.

I don't think we needed to add timelines and time travel and fate and destiny and whatnot. Those are not elements of the original narrative

:ok:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Hold on are we talking Bahamut or Bahamut 2 Electric Boogaloo feat. Ifrit? Bahamut 1 is eminently beatable before you even really get started on Hard mode; he's not even gated behind Hard at all. If you're at level 50 with a ton of mastered materia and already on your way into acquiring all manuscripts, Bahamut 1 will be trivially easy. Like, if you can beat Airbuster on Hard, you can definitely beat the Bahamut trial.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

guts and bolts posted:

Hold on are we talking Bahamut or Bahamut 2 Electric Boogaloo feat. Ifrit? Bahamut 1 is eminently beatable before you even really get started on Hard mode; he's not even gated behind Hard at all. If you're at level 50+ with a ton of mastered materia and already on your way into acquiring all manuscripts, Bahamut 1 will be trivially easy. Like, if you can beat Airbuster on Hard, you can definitely beat the Bahamut trial.

There's more Bahamuts??? :gonk:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

There's more Bahamuts??? :gonk:

Bahamut 2 is part of the Pride & Joy optional gauntlet you can undertake in the post-game Shinra Battle Simulator on Hard, and is without question the hardest encounter in the game. He's basically Bahamut 1 but much beefier and harder hitting, and at I think around 70% of his life remaining he will summon Ifrit to help him out in battle. The good news is that after this fight Pride & Joy itself will feel like a breezy cakewalk. The bad news is that a lot of people are struggling mightily with this fight, and maybe with good reason.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

There's the Bahamut fight that gets you his summon, then he turns up again in Chadley's final VR challenge. I have yet to beat that one, mainly due to Ifrit pushing everyone's poo poo in while I'm frantically trying to deal with Bahamut

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Xaiter posted:

Seems some folks haven't.

I love being told that I'm only grumpy because it isn't an exact 1:1 perfect remake with no changes and that's the only thing I really want despite saying otherwise.

If, ifs and buts were candies and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas.

You wanted a perfect remake you got something else. This has displeased you and you have expressed very thoroughly why. I'm not sure where else there is to go with this.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

In that case I'm probably really bad at this game, cause I feel like I'm barely making a dent in Bahamut 1.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Honestly given how oddly sincere Sephiroth comes off in the ending of this first game, I think theres a good chance his redemption is going to be the endgoal of the remakes. It even makes sense that he's the final boss of the first game if he's not going to be the real end-boss now.

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

Xaiter posted:

I don't want a Remaster. I don't want a 1:1 remake that is exactly the same. I just want an updated retelling of the story for modern times. Fix up the crap while they're at it.

Every single change introduced in FF7R up until Destiny's Crossroads is stuff I overwhelming love. It's an excellent remake UNTIL they reveal:

That's where they lost me. All of the changes up to that point had me hyped as hell. More than I could have ever dreamed of. To say that I'm just being grumpy because it's different is to completely mischaracterize what I think and feel about the game. I'm fine with different, we NEEDED different.

I don't think we needed to add timelines and time travel and fate and destiny and whatnot. Those are not elements of the original narrative and shoehorning them deviates so far from the original source material I can't consider it a retelling of the original story. It's a new story about how hard it is to update an old beloved story, at best. At worst, it's their creative director having an FF7 fever dream huffing rubber cement a little too deeply.

Really not trying to mischaracterise you here, I've really been trying to see eye-to-eye with you over this. I am sorry if you feel like I'm deliberately trying to twist your point of view, it's not my intention. I did specifically call you out in this post with regard to not agreeing with your interpretation of the ending over harrow's interpretation. What I wrote above was more of a generalization though some of it did pertain to our discussion before.

It does just seem like we have some wildly different interpretations of what actually happened in the ending, I've played FF7 a bunch of times, and my interpretation of it was always it's a weird game with hundreds of ideas that only a handful of ever really get developed or expanded on in the original game. Nothing that happens in the ending of remake seems completely out of the scope of the original to me, and the fact it was absent in the original story doesn't mean much cause a LOT of stuff was absent in the original. Either cause they didn't have time or money or whatever to flesh it out, add a ropey translation on top and it's a wonder FF7 was even coherent. As previously stated your objective and plot for most of disc 1 following midgar is, follow the yellow brick road, I mean man in black.

Saying that remake should only be 'make better' not 'maybe possibly make worse' is a subjective criticism at best that doesn't actually address the game itself. Most of the criticism of this game and it's ending is not actually centered around whats happening in the game, and this isn't just you, so that you don't think I'm trying to mischaracterise you again. It just keeps getting compared to when this thing happens in another game, whether that's the original, another final fantasy game altogether, or Kingdom Hearts of all things. Which is like, fine I get where your concern comes from absolutely, I saw compilation of FF7 too, but can you maybe get why some people might think you're being a tad too cynical, over a game that you seemed to have enjoyed?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nephthys posted:

Honestly given how oddly sincere Sephiroth comes off in the ending of this first game, I think theres a good chance his redemption is going to be the endgoal of the remakes. It even makes sense that he's the final boss of the first game if he's not going to be the real end-boss now.

Be interesting if that's where they were going with this because I can tell you nobody would see that coming. I think this is the first time post lifestream dip/psychotic break we've seen Sephiroth actually speak normally and use that moment to plead for help. I mean of course Cloud thinks he's loving with him why wouldn't he? But from an outside perspective it's fascinating.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Just Andi Now posted:

Speaking of shipping, I wonder how much of the Jessie's personality we have in this game is an expansion of the original Jessie and how much is just a completely new character.

In the original, she was thirsty for Cloud, but like... bookworm thirsty. She wipes dirt off Cloud's face, she shows off a cool video that shows how the train system works, she makes a super special fake ID just for Cloud, and so on.

In the new one, she's flirty, sassy, outgoing, an aspiring actress, and who is probably hiding behind a lot of fake personality (she can't even let go of her mask when she's dying). And she gets more pathos, for sure.

At the same time, it's much less inventing a personality so much as supplanting an old one, it feels like.

Jesse should had thick apparently opaque black framed glasses with a swirl pattern on the lens and it should even out.

Not even kidding I love those dumb things.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

DeathChicken posted:

There's the Bahamut fight that gets you his summon, then he turns up again in Chadley's final VR challenge. I have yet to beat that one, mainly due to Ifrit pushing everyone's poo poo in while I'm frantically trying to deal with Bahamut

Here's some quickie advice offered unsolicited, so I apologize in advance.

Bring Cloud and Aerith, and Tifa or Barret depending on if you prefer to play more safely or more aggressively. Tifa's ability to rapidly stack up stagger damage buffs makes her the best choice for trying to end the fight decisively, while Barret gives you way more on-demand ATB with Overcharge while exposing himself to relatively little risk, enabling you to crank out more restorative spells or barrier magic as you see fit. I took Tifa because she's my wife, but Barret is a much better choice when you get to phase 2 of Leviathan.

Cloud
Buster Sword or Twin Stinger (Buster Sword for killing faster, Twin Stinger for Reprieve)
Healing // Revival // Barrier // HP Up // MP Up // First Strike
Chain Bangle
Elemental-Ice // Steadfast Block // Parry or Enemy Skill
Transference Module

Your strategy will involve point-manning Cloud and staying on him for the majority of the fight. With the Buster Sword and a leveled HP Up materia, he will probably be the tankiest member of your squad, and you will want to be both building and spending gauges with Cloud frequently, chiefly for Focused Thrust or Triple Slash/Blade Burst in addition to weaving in buffs and heals. Using Parry materia you can quickly get to the best parts of your melee combo, as after a Parry movement you will immediately start the second half of Operator/Punisher combos and that's where all the damage lives, so liberally Parry to reposition yourself and crank out a little extra attacking DPS. Whenever Bahamut does an "Umbral" anything move, just switch away from Cloud and gain ATB on someone else; the AI will either block Umbral Frenzy or get hit by Umbral Strikes, and either way your time is better spent getting someone else ATB to spend. However, Cloud should have his Limit built well before anyone else has it just from the sheer volume of ATB you're spending on him, and that's good, so save it.

Elemental-Ice is in your armor so that you are literally immune to Shiva's bullshit. You can safely never switch off of Cloud in that fight if you want to win extremely fast. Coming out of Shiva with zero problems or effort, and then quickly blowing up Fat Chocobo, will make you feel less bad about how useless Cloud is in this build against Leviathan.

Aerith
Reinforced Staff
Magnify-Healing // MP Up x2 // Magic Up x2
Rune Armlet
HP Up x2 // Revival
Healing Carcanet

Aerith will be here to cast Regen on everyone and put out fires. Whenever someone else is getting whaled on, swap to Aerith, throw a Tempest or normal attack wave as you can, build a gauge, and either use it or save it as you need. She will also slo-o-o-o-wly but surely carry you to a win in Leviathan phase 2 with autoattacks. It will just... you know... take a while.

Tifa
Sonic Strikers
Healing // Revival // HP Up x2 // MP Up x2
Cog Bangle
Elemental-Ice // First Strike
Champion Belt

You could exchange an MP Up for a Lightning materia if you want to burn down Leviathan phase 2 faster, but that fight is more time-consuming than difficult, as he does amazingly little damage. Having lots of MP is good for when you need to cast Arise or Curaga in emergencies, and with Sonic Strikers' MP Saver for healing spells and two MP Ups you'll be fine. Mostly spend her gauges on staying at level 3 Chi and peppering in Focused Strike or whatever until you create a stagger; then your combo is R&F->Omni->True Strike->Uppercut->True Strike->Uppercut. If you have gauges with Cloud while they're staggered, and you should, you can use Tactical mode to queue up a Braver from him around the time you do the first Uppercut, and it will still connect after you've stacked up 300%+ damage bonus. Cloud should also use 2 Bravers instead of 1 Infinity's End because the damage cap is still 9999, and Braver will deal more than half of that on a 300% stagger. Elemental-Ice in your armor also just makes you either immune to or even absorb Shiva's nonsense, so you can safely avoid bringing, like, Headband into this gauntlet, because that sucks.

When Ifrit pops immediately limit him. Exploit your own summons effectively, particularly Carbuncle if you have him and are struggling to survive, or Leviathan if you just wanna poo poo out more damage.

And that's basically it. Manawall will help you survive Megaflare as long as you have over 5.5k HP, which you will, and if you're still struggling feel free to slap Revival Earrings on Tifa and/or Aerith to guarantee a win. If you can't kill Bahamut before he does a second Megaflare, you are either employing the strategy incorrectly or your materia is not leveled.

e:

Pollyanna posted:

In that case I'm probably really bad at this game, cause I feel like I'm barely making a dent in Bahamut 1.

Honestly? It's probably that you aren't switching characters enough or at appropriate times. If you just sit on one character more or less all the time you will have an extremely bad time. Switch more and see if that helps. If you are switching and still struggling, consider your materia setups carefully before taking on something that's giving you trouble. HP Up, MP Up, Magic Up, and Independent materia in general feel way stronger in FF7R than they did, especially early on, in FF7, so definitely employ them. Stuff like Umbral Strikes has tracking so strong you won't be able to dodge it and you can't block it, so if you see him start that attack up, swap to someone else and kick his rear end/build gauges.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 21, 2020

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Pollyanna posted:

Some corrections, if you want to take the ending literally instead of metaphorically:

I don't think this is what the game was trying to say. It's not a time loop just because someone has visions of the future, right?

The will of the planet is trying to enforce the assured pyrrhic victory of the original story, and Red XIII calls it Fate.

Aerith, somehow slightly aware of the future and that the party goes through a lot of hardships to win, says "gently caress that" and convinces the party to gently caress up the ghosts forcing them towards the original ending, because she thinks they can do better than the original ending. Though she's also aware that they could do a hell of a lot worse.

Whether "it actually happened" and Sephiroth's ghost went into the past to create a new timeline or Sephiroth somehow gained precognition when he entered the lifestream is a distinction without a difference.

Whether the original story happened and Sephiroth went back or it's a "what-if" history that was diverted before the game began, the original narrative is contained within this narrative.

Either way, it's forging a totally different story from the same raw materials and new plot devices involving time fuckery.

I personally don't think you can take an existing story and wrap it with time travel and call it a retelling of the original. You're using the components of the old juxtaposed with the changes to tell a new story on top of it.

I concede I'm in a very small minority here, but I just can't see eye-to-eye in this. We'll have to agree to disagree on what constitutes a Remake.

From my perspective, it seems like folks are saying the FF15 cast could come crashing through the walls and Micky could have an epic stand-off with Sephiroth and we could insert the entire story of Lightning Returns in there somewhere but it's still a remake as long as the important bits from the original game still happen.

Obviously that isn't the case, but I literally cannot feel out where the majority is drawing their line on Remaking an Existing Thing vs. Making a New Thing from Old.

Flopsy posted:

If, ifs and buts were candies and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas.

You wanted a perfect remake you got something else. This has displeased you and you have expressed very thoroughly why. I'm not sure where else there is to go with this.

I'm... replying to people who are replying to me. I'm just trying to be understood.

But fine, I'll take the hint. If I have nothing nice to say about the game, I just won't say anything at all. Sheesh.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Flopsy posted:

Be interesting if that's where they were going with this because I can tell you nobody would see that coming. I think this is the first time post lifestream dip/psychotic break we've seen Sephiroth actually speak normally and use that moment to plead for help. I mean of course Cloud thinks he's loving with him why wouldn't he? But from an outside perspective it's fascinating.

Yeah, like the bit where Cloud rejects him and Sephiroth kind of winces as if he's thinking 'why did I even think that would work'? He's very human in that scene and clearly has no ill will towards Cloud at that point. Which is telling since the party has apparently already defeated 'destiny' so things can change and he outright beats Cloud and has him at his mercy. But he just trusts Cloud enough to let him go? It's very interesting.

It's still the early days of speculation but theres some interesting stuff in this theory, including indications that even Sephiroth doesn't know what Aeriths deal is.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Xaiter posted:

But fine, I'll take the hint. If I have nothing nice to say about the game, I just won't say anything at all. Sheesh.

This is the logical endpoint of every temper-tantrum post I've seen. Nobody thinks that perspectives critical of the game are invalid, and if you read earlier in this thread there was a conscious effort made by many posters to engage with a take that was clearly and vehemently critical of FF7R. You don't have to be nice to our product or everyone will get mad. It's that you continue to restate the same things ad nauseum and you couch everything you say in either ridiculous hyperbole (Mickey, hahaha, amirite, guys) or in language that isn't critical but outright derisive ("THROW IT IN THE GARBAGE WITH THE OTHER NON-MAINLINE-FF7 GARBAGE") and it's just not worth dealing with that poo poo while everyone litigates the exact definition of "remake" and you insist you're fine with change unless you're not, in which case the game is terrible and you want a refund.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

guts and bolts posted:

This is the logical endpoint of every temper-tantrum post I've seen. Nobody thinks that perspectives critical of the game are invalid, and if you read earlier in this thread there was a conscious effort made by many posters to engage with a take that was clearly and vehemently critical of FF7R. You don't have to be nice to our product or everyone will get mad. It's that you continue to restate the same things ad nauseum and you couch everything you say in either ridiculous hyperbole (Mickey, hahaha, amirite, guys) or in language that isn't critical but outright derisive ("THROW IT IN THE GARBAGE WITH THE OTHER NON-MAINLINE-FF7 GARBAGE") and it's just not worth dealing with that poo poo while everyone litigates the exact definition of "remake" and you insist you're fine with change unless you're not, in which case the game is terrible and you want a refund.

Xaiter posted:

Obviously that isn't the case, but I literally cannot feel out where the majority is drawing their line on Remaking an Existing Thing vs. Making a New Thing from Old.

Xaiter posted:

You well understand the point being made through the absurd example and chose to ignore it the purposes of winning an internet argument. I merely want my perspective to be understood because I am a person who has opinions, and a desire to share them is natural.

So fine. You win. Whatever, I'm not here to win an internet argument for cool points.

Not an empty post.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

guts and bolts posted:

My man, I am torn. I think I want to love FF8, but I just can't. Junction is probably simultaneously the most tedious customization system in an FF and by far the easiest to break open, even if you engage with it on the game's terms. The cast is largely horrible outside of Squall and Quistis, and Laguna if you wanna count him. The plot is straight up nonsense, and only sometimes in a fun way. Rinoa, the main love interest!, is child-like in a way that honestly kinda creeps me out, having replayed it on the Switch relatively recently. The last 20% of the game or so is straight up garbage if R=U is truly not a valid reading of the story. I have some strong feelings about FF8.

FF8 had like... a demo disc? Something, and it came out with like I wanna say Jet Moto 2 and some other cool poo poo. But all I cared about was playing the FF8 demo after being so obsessed with FF7, and the song that plays for the Dollet mission is SO GOOD, and the FMV had me crazy hype, and it was gonna have like a school setting? which I did not realize was incredibly commonplace in Japanese popular culture, particularly videogames and anime, so I was like "COOL???? I THINK????"

And then the goddamn game came out and I kept thinking I was going to eventually like it until it ended and I realized I didn't like it.

If they were to remake FF8 they'd have to start almost from scratch. UGH FF8.

One of the main worldbuilding elements is that a Sorceress trapped in a giant space prison is constantly screaming 24/7 in a way that completely jams radio transmission worldwide

It owns

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/BelgianBoolean/status/1252054006031147009

Edit:
https://twitter.com/christinelove/status/1030503682637357056

The Remake could Get This Right

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 21, 2020

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

Xaiter posted:

Not an empty post.

I've been trying to engage with you in good faith and I'm still willing to if you want to reply. I like all the posters in this thread and although we are all very clearly passionate people with different ideas none of us are bad people, I want to understand you as much as I want to be understood. Weirdly I just wish there some way I could wave a magic wand and make you see this game the way other people in the thread do so you could go from 90% liking it to 100% liking it. if there's no way to bridge that final 10% then I honestly truly believe it's a shame and you're missing out, but I don't think you're a bad person or poster and I don't want to belabor the point any further if it's just going to cause bad feelings.

P.S maybe I'm wrong but it feels like that's where other posters are coming from too, they mostly seem incredulous that despite liking 90% that last 10% or whatever was enough to throw the whole thing off the rails for you.

AnarkiJ fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 21, 2020

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Xaiter posted:

Not an empty post.

My man I'm not gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume absurdity some of the time during your arguments; you have used language explicitly stating that you think FF7R belongs in the trash. Forget that you think you're being bullied or whatever because you're brave enough to have a dissenting opinion or whatever - what makes you think that's a good tack to take if you just want to encourage debate and discuss the merits of everyone's opinion? My guess is that you don't - you want us to read your posts, forever, re-stated or re-worded until you find the magic combination of the same train of thought that ends in... what? Like, a logical checkmate?

You began from a standpoint that FF7R's leads hate their fans and are denying them a "true" remake of FF7 out of spite, and continue to bring up absurdities as arguments while constantly referring to FF7R as garbage. Anyone who engaged with you did so despite that and you still came away from the discussion thinking that unless you're going to kneel at the altar of FF7R that you're not welcome, and nothing could be further from the truth. It is intensely frustrating.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Angelo Cannon in 4K HQ HDR

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FFVIII was not really interested in politics. Rinoa and her freedom fighter group was a preamble to a narrative that has gently caress-all to do with such mundane politics.

gently caress, everything on Disk 1 is basically ignored. Rinoa and her general father have a strained relationship? Who cares! No need to further develop that or mend the fences. Rinoa has a hunky soldier boyfriend and what else does a girl need.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

My real complaint with the Whispers is that I think they look lame. Their models are weirdly low-poly compared to other characters and monsters.
I would've preferred if they looked like the Phantoms from Prey 2017.

The big arbiter at the end of the game already kinda looks like that.

Lifestream is green and glowy and comes from the Planet; weapons are sort of robo-insects and come from the Planet (they're actually copied from Gundam), ragged cloaks don't fit into either of those aesthetics.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

I just wish Rinoa wasn't so pointedly coded as like a literal kid, it's distressing to see her mackin on Squall in one scene and then literally throwing like a conniption fit over being (rightly!) called out for her disjointed, idiotic "resistance" group that is basically My First Rebellion Against Daddy

If you're going to make a romance the central driving agent of your narrative, you kinda have to make sure that the audience wants that pairing to like, succeed, or at least is interested in watching them try. I spent the whole game wishing Squall had been less of a prick to Quistis instead

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

poo poo like this makes me want to replay FF8 and give it another shot to make me love it but man I just can't love the junction system as it exists. I love the idea of it but the execution is a mess and not in a way I actually find fun to engage with.

But I dunno maybe this time I'll just play a shitload of Triple Triad.

guts and bolts posted:

I just wish Rinoa wasn't so pointedly coded as like a literal kid, it's distressing to see her mackin on Squall in one scene and then literally throwing like a conniption fit over being (rightly!) called out for her disjointed, idiotic "resistance" group that is basically My First Rebellion Against Daddy

If you're going to make a romance the central driving agent of your narrative, you kinda have to make sure that the audience wants that pairing to like, succeed, or at least is interested in watching them try. I spent the whole game wishing Squall had been less of a prick to Quistis instead

Back in the PS1 era I found it amusing that FF8 was the one that was sold as being about its central romance in a special way when I personally found the romances in both FF7 and FF9 so much more fleshed-out and more compelling (and then, later, FF10 as well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Xaiter posted:

We'll have to agree to disagree on what constitutes a Remake.

No. You are wrong because a remake is literally making something again or differently. That's the definition. Period.

Given that Sephiroth first appears to distract Cloud from meeting Aeirth and he seems to have brought back Zack any guesses as to why is he so invested in preventing the relationship between Cloud and Aertih? Is there something I'm forgetting from the original that would give him this motivation?