Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Sinnlos posted:

I was under the impression that Maya was, at one point, one of the demiurges. Others have belittled Incubus, essentially saying that the throne he claims isn't actually his. Incubus has also stated that whoever the other Gods believe owns Incubus's throne is a washed up old drunk.

Yeah that's all been stated explicitly.
Maya left her key behind when she stopped being a demiurge. It's why she's not still a demiurge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

ConfusedUs posted:

Which Metallica Album bset matches each Demiurge?

Kill 'Em All: Allison, who will Kill Six Billion Demons!
Ride the Lightning: Mottom, whose palace appears in a burst of lightning!
Master of Puppets: The Grand Dragon, Mammon, uses his wealth to secure his power.
....And Justice for All: Solomon David, of course.
Metallica: Nothing appeals to the masses like Gog-Agog or the black album
Load: Gog-Agog sells out
Reload: Gog-Agog also heard about selling out, and decided to do the same, but was sad that Gog-Agog did it first.
St. Anger: I can think of no better album to represent Incubus, who is simultaneously the worst demiurge and pissed off about it.
Death Magnetic: Jaggonath, dealer of death and destruction!
Hardwired... to Self-Destruct: It's gotta be Jadis, who just wants to die!

Extremely good, no disagreements.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VanSandman posted:

Yeah that's all been stated explicitly.
Maya left her key behind when she stopped being a demiurge. It's why she's not still a demiurge.

When did that come up?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When did that come up?

It hasn't explicitly, but it's been all but said that Maya walked away.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
oh cmon this isn't that impressive. Anyone with a rock and the ability to freeze time indefinitely could pull an equally ridiculous maneuver as long as they had the patience to beat a few hundred guys to death in the forever zone.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I just want to say that I now have a headcannon regarding Meti, where some old guy walks up and starts talking about how when he was young he joined up with some army and was given a copy of her book as a gift. He goes on and on about how it shaped his life and how he's dedicated himself to her teachings. Then he gives her a dope bowl of noodles, chats about his grandkids and goes home to his loving family.

So basically, her favourite student.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it wouldn't be fair if Maya was still around because obviously she could cut Salami Dave anytime she wants to, regardless of emissary status. presumably she chooses not to for Reasons, though

if anything, this tournament, where it took two of the strongest angels to take down the person she cut cleanly in half in a single motion last time they met, really puts into perspective how stupidly powerful she is even without a key

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 20, 2020

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

eke out posted:

it wouldn't be fair if Maya was still around because obviously she could cut Salami Dave anytime she wants to, regardless of emissary status. presumably she chooses not to for Reasons, though

if anything, this tournament, where it took two of the strongest angels to take down the person she cut cleanly in half in a single motion last time they met, really puts into perspective how stupidly powerful she is even without a key

Maya already gave up one empire, why would she want another one?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

eke out posted:

Maya's also poo poo-scared of Incubus and was back when she had a Key of Kings and (possibly) he didn't.

So unless you're saying Solomon David is only alive by the forbearance of that particular rear end in a top hat, I don't think Maya could just walk over Solomon David.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

So unless you're saying Solomon David is only alive by the forbearance of that particular rear end in a top hat, I don't think Maya could just walk over Solomon David.

almost all the demiurges are only alive because of the forbearance of their fellow assholes (because it's mutually assured destruction if anyone upsets the balance) though

and, anyways, i'm under the impression that the reason Incubus is scary isn't really his battle prowess but rather the combination of magic, manipulation, and being willing to be a monster

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Power levels are bullshit, just as a reminder.

There's a random dude who knows the same kung-fu as Salami Dave on a hill in the middle of town and they're both mortal enemies yet none has come down on the other for *reasons*, fights and conflict largely are way more intricate than just 'whose got the most kung fu points'

I mean of the three demiurges we've seen thus far one was only immortal thanks to a relatively simple to destroy tree and the other is literally senile and only continues to exist in the form of capital, the demiurges are all incredibly dangerous but hands down they're all hollow in some way Dave most of all, being pride themed.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I wonder how many of the warriors who sat down to watch are going to be inspired to pursue the life of a noodle vendor after this.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Begemot posted:

Maya already gave up one empire, why would she want another one?

To be fair, the prize is whatever the victor wishes for. Solomon’s just been assuming that anyone who actually wins will want his empire, because obviously there could be no greater prize in all of the cosmos in his mind. Imagine the shitfit he’d throw if whoever beats him wished for literally anything else.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

That's fair.

Speaking of, I read recently about Neo-Confucianism and all I can say is holy gently caress, Confucianism may well be weird as heck in some aspects and Legalism may be bad but never really practised, but Neo-Confucianism just seems to be mainlining misogyny in a horrifying manner.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

the other is literally senile and only continues to exist in the form of capital

after his bank was destroyed mammon literally became so angry that it cured his blindness/alzheimer's

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ConfusedUs posted:

Which Metallica Album bset matches each Demiurge?

Kill 'Em All: Allison, who will Kill Six Billion Demons!
Ride the Lightning: Mottom, whose palace appears in a burst of lightning!
Master of Puppets: The Grand Dragon, Mammon, uses his wealth to secure his power.
....And Justice for All: Solomon David, of course.
Metallica: Nothing appeals to the masses like Gog-Agog or the black album
Load: Gog-Agog sells out
Reload: Gog-Agog also heard about selling out, and decided to do the same, but was sad that Gog-Agog did it first.
St. Anger: I can think of no better album to represent Incubus, who is simultaneously the worst demiurge and pissed off about it.
Death Magnetic: Jaggonath, dealer of death and destruction!
Hardwired... to Self-Destruct: It's gotta be Jadis, who just wants to die!

Don't forget Zoss' role:

The bass on AJfA: loving gone for reasons no one can remember or comprehend

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

after his bank was destroyed mammon literally became so angry that it cured his blindness/alzheimer's

maybe. Didn't stop him doing literally nothing for ages despite having infinity money though.

The point is that from a 'conflict' perspective not one of the demiurges is as strong as they initially appear. I think incubus is scary to them because he is literally a hungry, feral person. Hes a conqueror and not a 'ruler' like the rest of them, he is like Allison in that regard. Mottom would likely keep her fruit tree very close to the chest around Incubus because unlike all the rest he'd be the most likely to destroy it just to gently caress her over even at the risk of toppling the fragile power structure and causing another mega-war. I think all of the demiurges have some weakness along those lines. Like, you could probably get salami dave to cut his own skin on your behalf if you were somehow able to put all his works at risk. Although much like the bank-dragon that'd also probably send him from 'ruler' to 'conqueror' if you followed through as now he'd have to rebuild his sandcastles from the ground up.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 20, 2020

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I'd like to imagine that the 2nd row of kills is all one kick and Solomon just hopped a little over to the side to get the next batch of unlucky victims.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Man, why they hating on Hrotomos like this? :(

https://mobile.twitter.com/DuckAlertsNOW/status/1252297476385632256

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Josef bugman posted:

That's fair.

Speaking of, I read recently about Neo-Confucianism and all I can say is holy gently caress, Confucianism may well be weird as heck in some aspects and Legalism may be bad but never really practised, but Neo-Confucianism just seems to be mainlining misogyny in a horrifying manner.

Oh yeah the hardliners got completely loving broke-brained by Wu Zetian.

Motherfucker posted:

maybe. Didn't stop him doing literally nothing for ages despite having infinity money though.

The point is that from a 'conflict' perspective not one of the demiurges is as strong as they initially appear. I think incubus is scary to them because he is literally a hungry, feral person. Hes a conqueror and not a 'ruler' like the rest of them, he is like Allison in that regard. Mottom would likely keep her fruit tree very close to the chest around Incubus because unlike all the rest he'd be the most likely to destroy it just to gently caress her over even at the risk of toppling the fragile power structure and causing another mega-war. I think all of the demiurges have some weakness along those lines. Like, you could probably get salami dave to cut his own skin on your behalf if you were somehow able to put all his works at risk. Although much like the bank-dragon that'd also probably send him from 'ruler' to 'conqueror' if you followed through as now he'd have to rebuild his sandcastles from the ground up.

The demiurges are only particularly good at one thing: keeping any of their underlings from seizing power from them. Any other problem they seem to be pretty unable to handle.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Brought To You By posted:

I'd like to imagine that the 2nd row of kills is all one kick and Solomon just hopped a little over to the side to get the next batch of unlucky victims.

His sandals are wheelies, he just heel-rolled at hypersonic speeds while keeping his leg out straight.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Lord of Hats posted:

I wonder how many of the warriors who sat down to watch are going to be inspired to pursue the life of a noodle vendor after this.

I wonder if the Giant Gold Baby got killed.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Tulip posted:

Oh yeah the hardliners got completely loving broke-brained by Wu Zetian.

Why did it go so badly do you think?

I have a soft spot for the T'ang. I really do wish that they'd been more of the groundwork for later things to copy and not the Song.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
https://twitter.com/4bstraction/status/1251930287560437764?s=20

It's true, you can't (because nobody's refresh rate is fast enough)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Shugojin posted:

Don't forget Zoss' role:

The bass on AJfA: loving gone for reasons no one can remember or comprehend

Nah, Zoss is clearly Dave Mustaine. He's still alive and kicking, and he occasionally shows up to prove people wrong about his demise.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Josef bugman posted:

Why did it go so badly do you think?

I have a soft spot for the T'ang. I really do wish that they'd been more of the groundwork for later things to copy and not the Song.

Records from Wu Zetian's reign are spotty, so it's hard to say a lot with great confidence, but what we do know is that she used a lot of heavy-handed police state techniques and was also quite popular among the peasantry. She had a very good reputation within the Tang dynasty - her reputation really fell off a cliff during the Song dynasty.

As to why her reputation got trashed, the simplest explanation is that she did a lot of very not-Confucian things, but then didn't have the dignity to cause a rebellion or a social collapse (like say Wang Mang). For example, her monetary policy was extremely loose, which she piled into welfare, so both farmers (being debtors) and beggars were better off but for reasons the Confucians don't think work. She also pretty flagrantly sidelined Confucians in favor of Taoists and Buddhists, so there's a big ding there.

There's actually some real comedy in that a couple of nobles tried to rebel at a few points, but because Emperor Wu had a pretty lenient policy about people who stand down from a rebellion and the rebels were basically offering "more power for me, gently caress you" to their peasant levies, they'd muster like, a thousand dudes, and 800 of them would desert inside a month. And of course the Tang standing army is like 500,000 so this whole endeavor was just embarrassing.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

God I love the Tang. The bit where Taizong basically undoes every Confucian virtue (murders own brother, locks dad up in a home) and then proceeds to rule pretty well is just :discourse:.

Every bit of them is just flagrantly co-opting stuff. It's just wonderful.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ConfusedUs posted:

Nah, Zoss is clearly Dave Mustaine. He's still alive and kicking, and he occasionally shows up to prove people wrong about his demise.

Actually wait can we make Zoss into the entirety of Motorhead instead

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

ConfusedUs posted:

Debatable, as to date Zoss has not proven himself to be a cocaine-addled bigot with a grudge and the white male rocker lyrical equivalents of upper-middle class "quotes on walls as art".

e: god drat that's a good new thread title.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 21, 2020

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Josef bugman posted:

God I love the Tang. The bit where Taizong basically undoes every Confucian virtue (murders own brother, locks dad up in a home) and then proceeds to rule pretty well is just :discourse:.

I gotta listen to more of the History of China pod

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tulip posted:

Ehhhh

Sorry for the derail but this is something I really love.

"Officially" speaking, Legalism was totally and utterly defeated with the rise of the Han dynasty. And, indeed, many of the principles laid out by Shang Yang and Han Feizi were never used by government again. Like, how the gently caress are you supposed to govern by this

quote:

Deeply despised by the Qin nobility, Yang could not survive Duke Xiao of Qin's death. The next ruler, King Huiwen, ordered the nine familial exterminations against Yang and his family, on the grounds of fomenting rebellion. Yang had previously humiliated the new duke "by causing him to be punished for an offense as though he were an ordinary citizen." According to Zhan Guo Ce, Yang went into hiding and at one point Yang tried to stay at an inn. The innkeeper refused because it was against Yang's laws to admit a guest without proper identification, a law Yang himself had implemented.

Yang was executed by jūliè (車裂, dismemberment by being fastened to five chariots, cattle or horses and being torn to pieces); his whole family was also executed. Despite his death, King Huiwen kept the reforms enacted by Yang. A number of alternate versions of Yang's death have survived. According to Sima Qian in his Records of the Grand Historian, Yang first escaped to Wei. However, he was hated there for his earlier betrayal of Gongzi Ang and was expelled. Yang then fled to his fiefdom, where he raised a rebel army but was killed in battle. After the battle, King Hui of Qin had Yang's corpse torn apart by chariots as a warning to others.

Following the execution of Yang, King Huiwen turned away from the central valley south to conquer Sichuan (Shu and Ba) in what Steven Sage calls a "visionary reorientation of thinking" toward material interests in Qin's bid for universal rule.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

#1 Top Anime Betrayal Champion, over 2000 years running.

Hostile V posted:

Debatable, as to date Zoss has not proven himself to be a cocaine-addled bigot with a grudge and the white male rocker lyrical equivalents of upper-middle class "quotes on walls as art".

e: god drat that's a good new thread title.

Calling Zoss similar to Dave Mustaine is definitely the meanest thing I've seen somebody say about Zoss so far.

Josef bugman posted:

I don't think any of the Tang rules really qualified as particularly good Confucians. I guess Wuzong committed a pro-Confucian genocide?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

The parallel discussions of metal and ancient Chinese history continue to cement this thread as one of the best in the forums

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tulip posted:

Calling Zoss similar to Dave Mustaine is definitely the meanest thing I've seen somebody say about Zoss so far.

I dunno. For both, the best thing they ever did was gently caress off so their successor could do what they couldn't.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ConfusedUs posted:

I dunno. For both, the best thing they ever did was gently caress off so their successor could do what they couldn't.

Both could probably say that "Killing is my business and business is good".

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tulip posted:

Records from Wu Zetian's reign are spotty, so it's hard to say a lot with great confidence, but what we do know is that she used a lot of heavy-handed police state techniques and was also quite popular among the peasantry. She had a very good reputation within the Tang dynasty - her reputation really fell off a cliff during the Song dynasty.

As to why her reputation got trashed, the simplest explanation is that she did a lot of very not-Confucian things, but then didn't have the dignity to cause a rebellion or a social collapse (like say Wang Mang). For example, her monetary policy was extremely loose, which she piled into welfare, so both farmers (being debtors) and beggars were better off but for reasons the Confucians don't think work. She also pretty flagrantly sidelined Confucians in favor of Taoists and Buddhists, so there's a big ding there.

There's actually some real comedy in that a couple of nobles tried to rebel at a few points, but because Emperor Wu had a pretty lenient policy about people who stand down from a rebellion and the rebels were basically offering "more power for me, gently caress you" to their peasant levies, they'd muster like, a thousand dudes, and 800 of them would desert inside a month. And of course the Tang standing army is like 500,000 so this whole endeavor was just embarrassing.

Sounds like they were mad because she owned too much.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Xand_Man posted:

The parallel discussions of metal and ancient Chinese history continue to cement this thread as one of the best in the forums

*notes the Wu Tang av and nods at how fitting it is that such a poster would make such an observation*

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sounds like they were mad because she owned too much.

:hmmyes:

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Lemony posted:

I just want to say that I now have a headcannon regarding Meti, where some old guy walks up and starts talking about how when he was young he joined up with some army and was given a copy of her book as a gift. He goes on and on about how it shaped his life and how he's dedicated himself to her teachings. Then he gives her a dope bowl of noodles, chats about his grandkids and goes home to his loving family.

So basically, her favourite student.

This man was the only person to ever defeat Meti. He lived a meaningless life of mediocrity and noodles. He often threw his head back and laughed at how bullshit everything was. He achieved royalty by having no time or concern for it. He was buried in a plain grave and mourned only by the more devoted of his family and a few fans of his noodles. He was the smallest and most meager crawling thing. He had and will have no equal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah that's the self-own I was talking about earlier. Way to get yourself torn apart by horses, Yang!