Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Battletech has practical high energy density fusion engines so orbital lift is cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

AltaBrown posted:

That's because when you order a pizza from clanners, they make ten of them and then put them into a battle royale, with the winner/survivor being the one you get. Plus, they are always trying to bid down to the lowest number of acceptable toppings.

Honestly, Little Caesar's is better.

Clan pizza fits twice the pepperoni in half the diameter.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

David Corbett posted:

Clan pizza fits twice the pepperoni in half the diameter.

And still manages to overload the whole thing with cheese

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

gently caress y'all for making me crave pizza when I can't get it delivered in my locked down area.

On-topic: Seeing the economics behind the Leopard makes me appreciate more the hardscrabble situation the crew was in pre-Argo during the campaign.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
Fire starter question. What’s the end goal? I’m early on in a career mode and started with one. I’ve got him jumping all over and using those Small Lasers to good effect.

Would you eventually want to throw on a gyro or something? Anything else? Maybe a melee arm?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Heir03 posted:

Fire starter question. What’s the end goal? I’m early on in a career mode and started with one. I’ve got him jumping all over and using those Small Lasers to good effect.

Would you eventually want to throw on a gyro or something? Anything else? Maybe a melee arm?

PTN covered this a bit a few pages back, I thought it was interesting even though I haven't really played the game. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=503811490

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Catzilla posted:

I would also recomend the "Tex Talks Battletech" series, there are some very deep dives into Battletech lore as well as short run downs on certain mech models. He did one on the urbie :3:

And just like that, my day is gone. So thanks for that. I admire someone who can nerd out in an entertaining manner without fear or self-censorship.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Xarbala posted:

And still manages to overload the whole thing with cheese

Thats what happens when you have to bake a hundred pizzas to get five or six great ones, and throw the rest out!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Are there any mechs so lovely that if you find an old one you're better off just pulling the reactor and using it for something else?

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

Lemniscate Blue posted:

PTN covered this a bit a few pages back, I thought it was interesting even though I haven't really played the game. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=503811490

Thank you! I missed the spoilered part when I was searching previous pages.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
This is going to a dumb interface question, but how can I direct a mech to melee attack from a specific spot of my choosing? I can't immediately figure out how to position it right. I can click to melee attack but the mech happily runs to whatever spot and facing of its choosing, placing it in bad circumstances sometimes.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

SIGSEGV posted:

Battletech makes the mistake of giving you enough numbers to conclude it's completely bonkers. Dune doesn't tell you about the size of the known universe, or the spice production per year, so you can't tell.

Dune at least makes an attempt at making things that should be vast, seem vast. Picture Manhattan. Ok, that's the starting point for one module of a Heighliner.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

And then gets the known universe, which might be intergalactic, as I recall, get invaded by the Fremen, which are less than the planets it should contain, and they don't use WMDs often, if I recall correctly.

Of course it's because the author is not being subtle about his view that religion is social control, authority must always be questioned and that "machine thinking" is a disease of the human mind and not something caused by the presence of machines, but still.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Bo-Pepper posted:

This is going to a dumb interface question, but how can I direct a mech to melee attack from a specific spot of my choosing? I can't immediately figure out how to position it right. I can click to melee attack but the mech happily runs to whatever spot and facing of its choosing, placing it in bad circumstances sometimes.

You should see markers on all viable punching spots once you select your target. Clicking on one of them before executing the attack should cause you to end up in the selected location.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Are there any mechs so lovely that if you find an old one you're better off just pulling the reactor and using it for something else?

The Cicada. A 40-ton Mech that's slower than a Spider (30t), less well-armed than most Locusts (20t), and has about the same amount of armor as either.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

The Lone Badger posted:

Out of universe, Yes. In universe No. You find granddad's old Stinger in the hay barn and congratulations you're now part of the space 1% or failing that can now sell it to someone who is part of the space 1%.

Mechs even the shittier ones make you someone important. House Lord's compete to win over independent mech-owners. Merc units will fall over themselves to recruit you if you come with your own mech. People with mechs are important. That's the reason why every Mechwarrior fears becoming "dispossessed" because when you lose your mech then all that power and prestige is taken away from you.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

fezball posted:

You should see markers on all viable punching spots once you select your target. Clicking on one of them before executing the attack should cause you to end up in the selected location.

Huh. For some reason I didn't think that was an option. I'll try it.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Technowolf posted:

The Cicada. A 40-ton Mech that's slower than a Spider (30t), less well-armed than most Locusts (20t), and has about the same amount of armor as either.

Pretty much. It's a 40t 'Mech trying to pull an 8/12 movement profile, which means it's engine is loving gigantic and leaves basically no room for anything else.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Bo-Pepper posted:

Huh. For some reason I didn't think that was an option. I'll try it.

It's also based on movement, sometimes you're just unable to get to the side or rear of the target like you want to and so it won't give you the option.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Melee always takes the shortest possible path to the target, but if you have MP left over you can shift one hex to the left or right to punch from a slightly different angle. Terrain does constrain this, so sometimes you can't punch things from the angle you'd expect. If you have enough MP the melee attack will skip past the impassable hex, but if you're limited to one option you're either moving to melee from your maximum range or there's some terrain shenanigans that are stopping you from moving farther.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I also don't get an option to shimmy to the side if I'm already next to my target.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah, if they're already point blank they're "threatening" melee. You can't move, you have to either back off or punch them from where you're already standing.

Try not to jump adjacent to anything in a Firestarter, always be a hex or two away. If they're 4/6 and they run they'll still be in punch range and you may get to punch them in the back! :pseudo:

The other trick is, even though our Firestarter is a punch monster I actually don't melee with it all that often. A called shot to the rear center torso will take out most heavy 'Mechs and it only needs 3 hits with 30 damage small laser++s to take out a cockpit.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Technowolf posted:

Amusingly enough, I tried a mod (Advanced 3062, FWIW) with a Clan start option and a Clan-tech Cicada was my best 'Mech, completely unironically. It's faster than anything but a hovercraft and with the X-Pulse lasers I've packed it with, it does more than enough damage for the early part of the game. That's not to say it's a good 'Mech because I'd take a lot of things over it, but I felt it was pretty amusing that the Cicada was actually pulling its weight.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Access to XL Engines changes the curve a lot, but in the base game anything more than 35 tons that moves "fast" is wasting a lot of tonnage to do it.

An XXL Engine can make even the Charger an efficient (but obscenely expensive) 'Mech

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Oh, absolutely, and I'm under no delusion that even a fancy-pants Clantech Cicada is good overall. I just found it amusing that it ended up being actually useful since I know the reputation of the chassis.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So just how expensive would all this customization we're doing actually be in universe or is it just something that doesn't really happen much because you need pretty serious gear/a factory for it?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Koorisch posted:

So just how expensive would all this customization we're doing actually be in universe or is it just something that doesn't really happen much because you need pretty serious gear/a factory for it?
Armor repair costs alone would be horrendously expensive. Related question, could the things you can't change that you can in the tabletop (engine size, armor type, etc) be handwaved away as things the Argo just isn't able to do in an economically viable way?

Edit: Then again, you'd probably be able to salvage armor, so maybe not. I think it'd also make coring a mech theoretically a wise choice financially sometimes, since it'd leave a lot of armor intact for salvaging from the side torsos and limbs?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 22, 2020

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The biggest issue with customization in-universe is that you need someone capable of reprogramming a DI Computer to tell it what weapons you're carrying, how heavy they are, where they are, how they're stabilized, how much power the stabilizers need to aim them, etc. 'Mech torso weapons are usually not fixed to the chassis, they've got some traverse so the computer can actually point them at whatever water tower their dumbass space-redneck noble driver is trying to take a potshot at and that all has to be controlled by the DI computer on the back end so the pilot can get back to the all-important task of extorting the peasants and getting killed by his space neighbors.

OmniMech computers do this by default because they query the weapons for their specs and all of the 'mech's hardpoints and stabilizers are established in advance; and even then OmniMechs have an easier time with arm-mounted weapons because the arm weapons are usually fixed (it's the arm actuators themselves that do the target tracking and the stabilization, etc).

It's why a lot of the in-canon custom 'Mechs (like the guy who slapped 10 medium lasers into a Victor) usually customize the arm weapons, because that's the one thing the DI computer can't gently caress up. You don't gently caress with the torso weapons unless you have to.

Even Hanse Davion needed Wolf's Dragoons to replace Yen Lo Wang's Autocannon/20 with a Gauss Rifle.

TLDR: Yang does not get paid enough.

Edit: Every Clan Mechwarrior knowing how to program microchips was a huge and pants-shittingly terrifying surprise to Phelan Kell who had been taught how to do so by Clovis Holstein, a genius and the designer of the Wolfhound BattleMech.

Clovis, notably, couldn't figure out how to program the Wolfhound's DI Computer with a safety that would stop it from shooting its own arms off with its chest-mounted medium lasers.

I'm not saying this to make Clovis look stupid, he's one of my favorite characters and one of the reasons I still defend Stackpole's writing. DI Computers are complex.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 22, 2020

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I actually approve of all this. If you dive into military history at all, computing and stuff like sensors and weapons for say, aircraft missiles are incredibly complex and take years to get right. Even 'simple' things like 'not being able to launch unless you're directly behind someone' took a lot of trail and error to nail down, and its one of the reasons that trying to start projects like these from scratch are so tough: All the established players have years of experience to draw on what did and didn't work.

Does this mean we'll be seeing a spread of 'half omni' mechs that are programmed with consumer-features like 'its not a nightmare to swap weapons' (like,uh, that one ancient famously modular mech) as Newtech spreads?
And on the flipside, which mech dealres are the most nefarious Apple or BMV of the manufacturers - as in, you can't change ANYthing without visiting an official dealership or specialized training because its SO locked down?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Newtech is a huge, huge, huge deal. It's almost impossible to overstate.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
I managed to salvage a 4G Hunchback. Any recommendations on loadout? I'm still pretty early game, so I don't have an AC/20. Thought about a couple AC/5s and maybe a Large Laser or maybe just one AC/5 and a couple Large Lasers (heat be damned).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
AC/5s are tolerable but not great. Early game, if you can find an AC/10 that's a good fit since the AC/10's still a headcapper and makes short work of light 'Mechs and half-armor targets.

The Hunchback really wants an AC/20 though, it's one of the safest non-assault big autocannon carriers because side torsos are much harder to lose than arms.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 22, 2020

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
This game is already playing pretty fast and loose with what a mercenary company could "realistically" do. I mean, five missions in a single day probably isn't logistically possible simply factoring drop-off, pick-up, and travel time, completely disregarding the time to patch up armor between deployments, and your crew would all be passing out in their seats from exhaustion.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

IMJack posted:

This game is already playing pretty fast and loose with what a mercenary company could "realistically" do. I mean, five missions in a single day probably isn't logistically possible simply factoring drop-off, pick-up, and travel time, completely disregarding the time to patch up armor between deployments, and your crew would all be passing out in their seats from exhaustion.

Yeah I'm kind of surprised doing a mission doesn't just auto pass a day.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
It's a Space Day, so it isn't beholden to our Terrestrial Bias of how long a day should be.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
MRBC ranking process is only timed on when you arent murdering people. A halfway decent pilot can win a battle, but theyre really testing your skills off the battlefield in actually managing your company.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.
You know, I've been loving the build talk. And I certainly love that the Firestarter is such an incredible tank, since it has the armor to take a glancing shot even when its mighty dodge rate gets XCom rolls. But I have been wondering something, so here's a question for the experts.

Given the Targeting Baffles on the Flea, is there *any* godsend set of equipment that could make it better than a Firestarter for a similar role? Whether it be -tonnage, damage, what have you, as it does have the room for 5 support weapons. Or is it's armor just too thin to ever make that work, even with an extra +2 Hit Defense from its unique equipment?

E: And yeah, the 15 tons difference with a Firestarter certainly *hurts*, but I'm theory crafting here and enjoy doing so.

Ronin Of Dreams fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 22, 2020

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Ronin Of Dreams posted:

You know, I've been loving the build talk. And I certainly love that the Firestarter is such an incredible tank, since it has the armor to take a glancing shot even when its mighty dodge rate gets XCom rolls. But I have been wondering something, so here's a question for the experts.

Given the Targeting Baffles on the Flea, is there *any* godsend set of equipment that could make it better than a Firestarter for a similar role? Whether it be -tonnage, damage, what have you, as it does have the room for 5 support weapons. Or is it's armor just too thin to ever make that work, even with an extra +2 Hit Defense from its unique equipment?

E: And yeah, the 15 tons difference with a Firestarter certainly *hurts*, but I'm theory crafting here and enjoy doing so.

I highly doubt it. Once you hit that 5% Hit Rate, extra evasion pips won't do anything for you save make it take a few extra shots to push you back up to what the game considers a 'reasonable' chance to hit... and if you're getting shot THAT many times in one turn, something has gone terribly, terribly wrong. Like, 'I blundered directly into both reinforcement lances with only my Firestarter/Flea and now it's 12 on 1 because the rest of my lance is still out of line of sight' wrong.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
An endgame Firestarter doesn't lose its 95% evasion until it drops below 3 evasion pips, so if you can reliably generate 7 pips the Firestarter can tank an entire enemy lance by itself which in turn lets you engage in 4v8s safely, or position your Firestarter far enough ahead of the rest of your lance that you can eliminate the enemy from ranges where they can't shoot your other 'Mechs at all.

We're going to hit a point where I don't even bother with tree cover for most of my units.

In theory, the Flea can do the same thing as the Firestarter except it doesn't lose 95% evasion until it drops down to 1 evasion pip. Sounds good, right? Except, as a 20-tonner its maximum armor is so low that even an incidental hit from a medium laser is a threat to it, and if you want the six jump jets needed to get those 7 evasion pips you're topping out at two small lasers and nothing else so the damage threat just isn't there. The Flea has to chose between maximum tankiness and mobility or being a damage threat, and it's worse at being either than the Firestarter.

I will be using a Locust and a Flea to good effect in a certain mission type, but we're not going to see those for a while because the flashpoints just didn't pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
So, I actually got a medium coil weapon and put it on the lootboxs assasin.

Weird: I have to move rather then jump to generate coil. Also, I overheat if I fire it twice in a row.

What is the best mech to bear a coil M weapon and how should it be outfitted?