Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Holy poo poo. Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in. This is way more than I expected them to do. New power ups were what I was really hoping for and even though I didn't get the ice flower I've been dreaming of they still surpassed my expectations with all the new stuff here.

Now if only reset from checkpoint had been in there...

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So this is officially the last major update... I wonder what kind of minor stuff they'd add beyond this, if anything?

That being said, so far I'm absolutely cool with this being 'it'.

Edit: I'm almost embarrassed at how much I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve... Mario Maker 2 has been this amazing, wonderful game to me, except it's alway missed THIS aspect... And now it won't. :allears:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Just today I was wondering what happened to the ninji levels since it's been 5 weeks since the last one

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Holy poo poo this is adding so much!

Slightly bummed to hear this is the last major update but goddamn look at everything it's adding

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

THOSE CRAZY BASTARDS DID IT

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

though seriously I like how I was all gonna be like not streaming so much Mario Maker now and then they're like "haha how about this son" and it's like ok I guess sure you got me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Who is actually gonna sit down to play entire worlds made by one person though

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Finally, I can make my own worlds now.

Good final update, shame no Mega man costume tho.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Internet Kraken posted:

Me

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Internet Kraken posted:

AHEM

Well it'll depend I guess. Like will there be multiple exits now? Do powerups persist? Honestly I'd just be happy if powerups persist because that opens up a TON of possiblities.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i will play the worlds

Udenpah
Mar 26, 2007
To see the mote that I preferred to all the lists of clay

Same. I wonder if they'll let you rate/add dipshit comments to entire worlds.

Obama 2012 posted:

N8W-MN5-6RF 1-2 Shells--First in my 'shell trilogy' goofing around with using koopa shells as remote triggers.
J82-B0N-3MG 1-3 Shell Dungeon--Next I tried framing an entire dungeon around shell shenanigans. It didn't seem that hard to me, but it has a really low clear rate for some reason.
8J4-SB9-PFG 1-4 Follow that shell!--Kick a shell at the start of the level and chase it to the end. Not very hard, but I found it amusing.

I liked these. Short and sweet for the most part. 1-4 Follow that shell feels a little bad if you're like me and fall down a tiny gap and the end and have to replay the whole thing.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Internet Kraken posted:

I was already basically doing this, following good makers and playing through their course list is the best way to consistently find the good stuff, more so than just scrolling through the browser or whatever

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Friendship ended with Animal Crossing

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

It’s a shame that it looks like you can only use your own courses to build a world. It would have been great if we could have taken our previous world projects and finally put together a full Super Goonio Bros.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I'm so happy

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Internet Kraken posted:

Absolutely me if they’re made by someone good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah, just like everything else in Mario Maker, I'm sure the vast majority of worlds will be awful but the people who know what they're doing have the potential to put out like. Entire Mario games.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I'm excited, but it looks like each world can only have five levels. That's disappointing.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Pakled posted:

Holy poo poo this is adding so much!

Slightly bummed to hear this is the last major update but goddamn look at everything it's adding

https://twitter.com/imranzomg/status/1252420215767351297

From what it sounds like, Nintendo completely gave up on the game and shipped what they did have out the door. At least it was one hell of a note to end things on, but it is a shame.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Internet Kraken posted:

I will. This update is going to get me playing Mario Maker 2 again. When I was still playing this, I'd play "worlds" that goons made and some were a lot of fun. Having the map makes the experience a lot better.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

This honestly rekindles the spark in me, as long as I can get away from terraforming my town.

I know they would probably have mentioned this if it was in there, but I hope there's secret exits to go with world maker. Just add the option to have goalposts in the subworld! I mean they already have allowances for pipes and branching paths in there!

edit: Oh poo poo... I didn't even notice this earlier but they just low key revealed on/off blocks in 3D World style, at the same time that they were revealing the on/off trampolines.

Argue fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 21, 2020

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Would have loved a SM2 theme but the ability to literally make an entire Mario game is really fantastic.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Can the worlds be shared online?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Yes, there's some brief screenshots of it in the video.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Cool I couldn't really tell from the trailer, and you know how Nintendo is.

Sad it's the last major update (which I think it's the last update period, I'm not hopeful for more minor updates) but I'm excited for new toys to play with. I wish they would've given me a goddamn minecart :mad: I know Mario isn't known for minecarts but still

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I have so many concerns about the many Nintendoisms that could worm their way into this to cut it off at the pass for no reason.

I notice the sprite on the overworld is always static in this footage, so does that mean no power-up continuity? Is it a hard limit of one world per account? Do an uploaded world's levels share your existing level upload limit? And a billion other things that ultimately don't matter because the most Nintendo-rear end, worst-case scenario for everything presented in that trailer couldn't stop me from being dragged back in by it.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
Also definitive RIP to bookmark site/app by this point I'd say lol

like fuckin' why

oh well

mechakoopa lasers

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hope we can get smaller updates after this to add another enemy or 2. I really want Chargin’ Chucks. They were in 3D World so they could be in all 5 themes.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Personally I think final major update means final any update. I doubt we'll see anything except bugfixes after this.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Is there a list of creators I should be following somewhere? I love this game but haven’t put much time into it due to initial frustrating with finding good levels.

Dugong fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 21, 2020

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Oh christ I am so excited. I'm going to make a 1:1 remake of Tubular just to watch the world burn

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Making worlds is what I wanted from the start, and being able to hook them all together is fantastic. It's like being able to make and share my own lil Mario game.

Something about the levels being isolated from one another before kept me from being super into making things buuuut this is gonna help a lot. Being able to do that sort of progression across worlds, work within a theme for each one, have mid-boss castles here and there and everything. It's going to be really cool.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

After the Ninji speedrun stages were a wet fart in terms of how often they put a new stage out, I'm glad to see an update with a lot of substance to it. Definitely gonna get me back to playing it regularly.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Holy poo poo, okay, that's a lot of great new content, and I am so excited to come back to this now.

I'm a bit underwhelmed by Mario 2 mushroom because, like Link, its potential to allow for radically different level design is limited by it being a powerup you have to keep, but I'm sure I'll find plenty of situational use for it. I wonder if all the stuff they showed off in the 3D World is style is 3D world exclusive.

But still, world maker was the #1 thing I wanted from Mario Maker, and that alone would've satisfied me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'm gonna make an auto scroller with the bullet bill costume. I really hope it doesn't kill everything it touches like the car

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I want to figure out how one might force someone to fight using Mario 2 mechanics rather than normal ones. Like, say you want to have a Boom-boom fight that you beat by throwing stuff at him--how do you make sure they do it that way? You could put a spiny on its head to prevent you from hopping on it, but nothing is stopping you from just tossing an item at the spiny then continuing as normal, yeah?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rollersnake posted:

Holy poo poo, okay, that's a lot of great new content, and I am so excited to come back to this now.

I'm a bit underwhelmed by Mario 2 mushroom because, like Link, its potential to allow for radically different level design is limited by it being a powerup you have to keep, but I'm sure I'll find plenty of situational use for it. I wonder if all the stuff they showed off in the 3D World is style is 3D world exclusive.

But still, world maker was the #1 thing I wanted from Mario Maker, and that alone would've satisfied me.

I believe so; if you rewatch the video, pay special attention to the little black subtitle on the bottom right. It tells you when something is specific to a given style, and whether or not it's exclusive to/from SM3DW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

All the new wearables and power-ups were exclusive to the styles they were shown in. The Koopalings are available in the main styles but not 3DW. I get the sense that you won't get power-up persistence in World Maker since you can (presumably!) mix and match level styles within a single world.