Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

If the Brawl for All taught us anything, it's that guys who had a reputation for being tough bar fighters and guys who'd been athletes when they were younger were not necessarily much good in a shootfight. Everyone thought Dr. Death was going to win it, then he tore his hamstring just circling around and got his clock cleaned. You never know what age and injury has done to people who haven't been competing for years.

Tank was washed up as a MMA fighter before he went to WCW, but WCW didn't have a lot of shooters. I'm sure Bret wouldn't have done it. The Steiners were great wrestlers and had a scary reputation, but again, age and injury. Buff had done some boxing but I can't see him being dumb enough to go in for it. Maybe some of the younger or less prominent guys with wrestling or fighting experience, like Glacier and Lash.

Knowing WCW, they would have let anyone compete and encouraged the wrong people for stupid reasons. It would have been even worse than WWE's, with a bunch of untrained bodybuilders giving each other career-ending injuries. And they'd do it for a $0 gate at Road Wild, and the savings on contracts would be the first time Road Wild turned a profit.

considering Bart Gunn won the actual Brawl 4 All and he had experience in Toughman Contests, for all we know the winner of the WCW Brawl 4 All would have been Hardbody Harrison with his patented Biscuit Cutter and Porkchop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

I forgot to add: It would be very bad optics for WCW to do a quasi-MMA tournament with Goldberg mysteriously absent.

He was supposed to be part of the Toughman division WCW kept alluding to on air at the end of 1997!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Before we poo poo on the brawl for all too much, remember that the entire reason it existed is because Vince Russo wanted to see Bradshaw get the poo poo kicked out of him. Truly, proof that good and evil reside in all of us.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Alaois posted:

considering Bart Gunn won the actual Brawl 4 All and he had experience in Toughman Contests, for all we know the winner of the WCW Brawl 4 All would have been Hardbody Harrison with his patented Biscuit Cutter and Porkchop
drat, I didn't know he was still in the company by 99.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

Before we poo poo on the brawl for all too much, remember that the entire reason it existed is because Vince Russo wanted to see Bradshaw get the poo poo kicked out of him. Truly, proof that good and evil reside in all of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9JOEYxwwbk&t=116s

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ref: "Are you Ok?"
JBL: *stares into space with glazed expression*
Ref: "Let's fight!"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Hellblazer187 posted:

...really? I've always believed it was a way to bring Dr Death in and get him over as a legit tough guy

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Ref: "Are you Ok?"
JBL: *stares into space with glazed expression*
Ref: "Let's fight!"
Yeah that bit owns almost as good as the faceplant haha

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

...really? I've always believed it was a way to bring Dr Death in and get him over as a legit tough guy

I don't remember where I heard this but apparently Bradshaw was talking poo poo about how he would win in a shoot against anyone and it pissed Russo off. I think they wanted Dr. Death to win, but the original idea was because Russo wanted to to see Bradshaw get beaten up and embarrassed.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

I don't remember where I heard this but apparently Bradshaw was talking poo poo about how he would win in a shoot against anyone and it pissed Russo off. I think they wanted Dr. Death to win, but the original idea was because Russo wanted to to see Bradshaw get beaten up and embarrassed.
poo poo i thought the chicken neck on a pole match was the only good thing Russo ever did

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
When, how and why did new WWE workers start getting given really loving dumb names? I was just looking through the rosters and most of them are lame as hell, but it feels like it’s been this way for... at least a decade?

They’re not even fun dumb, it’s like they’re caught in a middle ground where they’ve tried to give people ‘real’ names but still make them unique, so they’ve ended up with a roster full of Bobson Dugnetts. I hate them all.

Also, how come some indie stars get to keep their names and others don’t? I get way control freak Vince would want to make sure WWE can keep the IP of their biggest stars, but they seem to have relented on that for a few people.

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 20, 2020

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Butterbean won a shoot with a kimura or americana. I do not know what my point is.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Answers Me posted:

When, how and why did new WWE workers start getting given really loving dumb names?

Hulk Hogan

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Answers Me posted:

When, how and why did new WWE workers start getting given really loving dumb names? I was just looking through the rosters and most of them are lame as hell, but it feels like it’s been this way for... at least a decade?

They’re not even fun dumb, it’s like they’re caught in a middle ground where they’ve tried to give people ‘real’ names but still make them unique, so they’ve ended up with a roster full of Bobson Dugnetts. I hate them all.

Also, how come some indie stars get to keep their names and others don’t? I get way control freak Vince would want to make sure WWE can keep the IP of their biggest stars, but they seem to have relented on that for a few people.
Sorry this doesn’t really answer your question but I think there was a recent trend where everyone had to have a name that fit into the rhythm of how fans chant names so they all sounded really samey

Cam-ron Grimes
Jor-dan Myles
Bron-son Reed
Joa-quin Wylde

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Answers Me posted:

The "indie/international talent keeps their name" trend started with Samoa Joe and Shinsuke Nakamura I believe. Generico, Steen, Devitt, KENTA, and Kana were the biggest acquisitions around that time and that was about the breaking point where it stopped being worth it to rename them, so for about 2-3 years most guys kept their identities. I think in late 2018/early 2019 when they really ramped up signing EVERYBODY they could get their hands on, that's when the old practice came back and you started getting Cameron Grimeses and Dexter Lumises and poo poo like that. For every Keith Lee and Kushida now there's two or three Damian Priests or Bronson Reeds.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I remember reading an NXT results post and thinking "what the gently caress is a Joaquin Wilde" and it was the first time I learned that they signed DZJ

Something about the name generator just sucks all the personality out of these guys

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Benne posted:

I remember reading an NXT results post and thinking "what the gently caress is a Joaquin Wilde" and it was the first time I learned that they signed DZJ

Something about the name generator just sucks all the personality out of these guys

That's almost certainly intentional. "Nobody gets more over than the product" etc etc.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I always wondered how CM Punk got away with keeping his own name.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Nystral posted:

I always wondered how CM Punk got away with keeping his own name.

They weren't really doing a lot of indie star signings at that point, most of the new talent was coming out of OVW or FCW I think. Occasionally you'd get guys like James Gibson or Brian Kendrick but I think Punk was the first real person to come in and make a splash as a guy with "indie cred" that everybody knew. He was the first and only one to manage it in that era, though MVP managed to keep getting booked as MVP, as long as he didn't use the full name.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TriffTshngo posted:

They weren't really doing a lot of indie star signings at that point, most of the new talent was coming out of OVW or FCW I think. Occasionally you'd get guys like James Gibson or Brian Kendrick but I think Punk was the first real person to come in and make a splash as a guy with "indie cred" that everybody knew. He was the first and only one to manage it in that era, though MVP managed to keep getting booked as MVP, as long as he didn't use the full name.

I think Heyman also went to bat for Punk keeping his identity.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TriffTshngo posted:

MVP owned the rights to MVP since he created it and pitched it to WWE prior to signing.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

It always seemed like such a waste to me when WWE changed the names of established wrestlers.

Because half the reason of bringing them in was to capitalize on their already established fanbase, and hopefully bring them to WWE. So by changing their names, (especially to the stupid names that they give "newcomers"), it seems like they killed most of the momentum getting signed by the WWE is supposed to add to ones career.

I suppose if your fanbase is savvy enough to the industry, they know you and a name change isn't going to make that much of a difference. But isn't part of WWE's stated business model bringing in new casual fans? These people wouldn't know the difference between the guy they enjoyed watching in their local bingo hall that time and Bazooka Kaboom the new NXT firebrand.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
They’re less than a year out from introducing Sleve McDichael.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
I want my Danhausen shirt, but my PWT order has been processing since the ninth

Is that normal?

bartok
May 10, 2006

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

I want my Danhausen shirt, but my PWT order has been processing since the ninth

Is that normal?

Just a shot in the dark, but have you considered that there is a global pandemic currently going on?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Contact them here (as in click here) and say that you would bashfully like to inquire about the status of your t-shirt order, but don't want people to get the wrong idea, such as that you are a heartless malcontent. tell them that you understand and even expect an order delay, but your neuroses require that you check in on things regardless, so that they might reassure you that things are as "normal" as they can be at the moment and nothing about your order was lost. you've been passed over a lot in your life and it's left you with this kind of scar that's often harmless but is working against you a little bit right now.

another option would be to send an email to shipping[at]prowrestlingtees.com

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

It always seemed like such a waste to me when WWE changed the names of established wrestlers.

Because half the reason of bringing them in was to capitalize on their already established fanbase, and hopefully bring them to WWE. So by changing their names, (especially to the stupid names that they give "newcomers"), it seems like they killed most of the momentum getting signed by the WWE is supposed to add to ones career.

I always assumed that, in typical scorched earth fashion, they did it so they would own the name/gimmick so the worker couldn't profit off it in the indies when they're released. I know that's not a new practice, but still...

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Also, if you manage to get over using your indie name instead of one given to you by WWE, that's a clear sign of disrespect and you obviously don't understand the business.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Also, if you manage to get over [...] instead of [...] WWE, that's a clear sign of disrespect and you obviously don't understand the business.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

bartok posted:

Just a shot in the dark, but have you considered that there is a global pandemic currently going on?

That is what I had thought, but I wanted to ask the howling void

Since I think of processing as the payment going through and imagine a subsequent step called "hold up"

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Answers Me posted:

It's probably been a problem forever, but I feel like the weird generic names started being A Thing back in the first season of NXT. I seem to recall them announcing the original roster for NXT and everyone making jokes about names like Heath Slater and Wade Barrett.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

It's probably been a problem forever, but I feel like the weird generic names started being A Thing back in the first season of NXT. I seem to recall them announcing the original roster for NXT and everyone making jokes about names like Heath Slater and Wade Barrett.

Didn't HUSKY HARRIS pause for a second during his confessional like it was the first time he'd heard his name?

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Who are some of the others that came in with their Indie/tna/roh/whatever names? Was he ever Finn Balor before, or always King Devitt or whatever.

Only one I can think of off the top of my head AJ Styles... and Ricochet :laffo:

Hirez fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 21, 2020

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

I feel like WWECW had bad names before NXT, such as BRADEN WALKER.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOt6kIMCRJc

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I feel like WWECW had bad names before NXT, such as BRADEN WALKER.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOt6kIMCRJc

Even before that, I think. Remember Gunner Scott on Smackdown?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I mean, you can go back a lot further than that. Sid Vicious became Sid Justice. Unabomb became Isaac Yankem, DDS.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
What's weird about the first couple of seasons of NXT is that in many cases they went from Indie Name ---> FCW Name --> NXT name

PJ Black became Justin Angel became Justin Gabriel
Stu Sanders became Lawrence Knight became Wade Barrett
Tyrone Evans became Tyrone Jones became Tyson Tarver became Michael Tarver
Johnny Emminger became Johnny Prime became Lucky Cannon
Low Ki became Kawal became Kaval

I know most of them didn't have big indie careers before going to developmental but it just seemed like a multi-level power-play to make them change their names when they sign, then change it again as soon as they get promoted.

The only other Punk-era wrestlers that got to basically keep their names when they came into WWE that I can think of were Sheamus and Kofi Kingston.

The real prequel to all of the Developmental Names was the period in the late 1980s/early 1990s where they'd take established wrestlers and give them a goofy rear end gimmick that would essentially replace their names. Sometimes they'd still acknowledge (sometimes) that it's THE DRAGON ricky steamboat or EL MATADOR tito santana or THE MODEL rick martel but just as often "Mister Perfect" or "The Repo Man" or "I.R.S." or ""Skinner" or "Texas Tornado" or "Red Rooster" would effectively replace the name they used elsewhere.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 21, 2020

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Every era had bad names, some worked and some didn't.

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

BT Sport’s WWE Twitter account is running a World Cup for best WWE theme. Group stage voting is just going up.

Some real tough choices in there. Look at Group D:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
group E is the toughest

any one of those could legitimately win the whole thing