Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

J Detan posted:

since so many members of the original team came back for this and the writing and characterizations were genuinely good, I think they've earned the benefit of the doubt. I want to see what weird bullshit they pull off for part two!

this is exactly how i feel vis a vis some of the negativity... people saying the first 17 chapters were basically perfect but then the ending came and now they have no trust in the series. like the first 30 hours of passionately reimagining and bringing midgar to life was just a fluke and now its time to turn sephiroth into xehanort or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

pog boyfriend posted:

this is exactly how i feel vis a vis some of the negativity... people saying the first 17 chapters were basically perfect but then the ending came and now they have no trust in the series. like the first 30 hours of passionately reimagining and bringing midgar to life was just a fluke and now its time to turn sephiroth into xehanort or whatever

"no you see the first thirty-five hours of this game, which Nomura directed, will turn into utter poo poo because Kingdom Hearts III, which Nomura directed!!"

I mean I'm not even 100% that that's not gonna happen, it totally could. But I like that they're at least shooting their shot and trying, the real complaints I don't get are "half-assed." Like this entire game is an rear end and a half, this is perhaps double-assed in terms of effort for realizing their vision

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

pog boyfriend posted:

It can get pretty exhausting I won't lie man. Especially since Sephiroth is genuinely deep in the uncanny valley this time round. His expression kinda reminds me of Wilfred Warrior sometimes tho...

https://twitter.com/wilfred_warrior/status/1244700849055707137

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I love this game and enjoyed the ending and am on board with whatever they want to try with the next part.

Like yes there was some hokiness with confronting the literal manifestation of Destiny but I can forgive it that, partially for everything it did so well up to that point and partially for it being a working-through of how to take this story somewhere else, as has been previously discussed.

I am just eager to see what they try with this, considering now it is not a story structured around Aerith's loss and absence, but around her presence and what that might mean. I would be more skeptical of the ending except for the fact that the most salient character moment of the end is given to Aerith and her ambivalence about what is to come. I don't think it's a coincidence that the one major "past" alteration (besides Stamp) we are privy to is the survival of a person who has played a pivotal role in Aerith's life. That last moment about her missing the steel sky was heartwrenching and if that's what they carry into the next part, and if FF7R is definitively Aerith's story in an active way, I would be elated

J Detan posted:

The characters were delightful the whole way through (especially Aerith, who I frankly didn't care for much in the original and is my standout favorite in the Remake) and the weird way it goes about saying that its story has unknown avenues and twists we won't see coming was exciting, at least to me.

:same: so hard

I never really thought much about Aerith in the original, she just seemed like a generic nice girl and of course she selflessly sacrifices to save the world and is more important for not being there than anything else, it had become such a meme. Meeting her again, with the characterization and personality they were able to give her, so that you can see how much of that cheeriness is a defense mechanism or a front (also she says "poo poo"), to see her genuine bond with the other characters now that the story had time to breathe, I am really much more connected to her and will probably be emotionally invested in whatever happens this time around lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 21, 2020

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Technically I believe Time Compression and/or the Eighth Umbral Calamity killed (or would have killed) more people

eh, eorzeans aren't really people and Firsters definitely aren't

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I believe my new standard in dating will now be how well a person can twerk to all 11:00 minutes One-winged angel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYjN22r55YU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Just finished it and what a loving trip man. I’m glad they are going bonkers rear end direction. I would also love to have an updated graphics of the original as well. Can’t wait to see how they really gently caress with the original, if they end up saving Aerith then they are going to need something to really gently caress with our heartstrings.

Characters were really good, with as much trouble as the production had it shouldn’t have been as good as it was.

I’m honestly surprised it’s going it’s own direction in reference to the original. It’s a bold choice and I like it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I'm glad we defeated the whispers in real life so we could get on the timeline with this game instead of the CyberConnect2 version.

Shame about everything else though

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm glad we defeated the whispers in real life so we could get on the timeline with this game instead of the CyberConnect2 version.

Shame about everything else though

Aren't they the .hack guys? I distinctly remember liking some of those games I think

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

guts and bolts posted:

Aren't they the .hack guys? I distinctly remember liking some of those games I think

They are, yeah. So we don't know why they were dropped, there was for a time a rumor that their production was just so bad that Square was like "No, gently caress that." And decided to restart... but that claim and the person who made it, and I think even the site they made it on, have been erased from existence. So no idea if it's true.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

One thing I don't think I've seen be brought up about the Whispers and fighting them is that you kind of need to do that to get the dramatic tension they're setting up for the future. If different things just happened, then the player would go "Oh neat!" but the narrative wouldn't be able to address them. You need to have the characters actively choose to roll the dice and change stuff so that they can deal with those changes. If someone else dies in Aerith's place, that now has a much bigger effect on the cast. Every time they encounter poo poo going bad on their journey, the question in the back of their head is always gonna be "Did we do this?"

We can argue all day if time ghosts was the best way to implement this, but in order for stuff like that to matter to anyone in the story, you need a Thing that the characters are aware of and can actively choose to defy.

That's mostly why I'm excited for future changes. There's this added weight to anything that happens from now on for the cast, especially Aerith.

And also I agree that Reeve should be shot out of a cannon at Meteor.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Crowetron posted:

One thing I don't think I've seen be brought up about the Whispers and fighting them is that you kind of need to do that to get the dramatic tension they're setting up for the future. If different things just happened, then the player would go "Oh neat!" but the narrative wouldn't be able to address them. You need to have the characters actively choose to roll the dice and change stuff so that they can deal with those changes. If someone else dies in Aerith's place, that now has a much bigger effect on the cast. Every time they encounter poo poo going bad on their journey, the question in the back of their head is always gonna be "Did we do this?"

We can argue all day if time ghosts was the best way to implement this, but in order for stuff like that to matter to anyone in the story, you need a Thing that the characters are aware of and can actively choose to defy.

That's mostly why I'm excited for future changes. There's this added weight to anything that happens from now on for the cast, especially Aerith.

And also I agree that Reeve should be shot out of a cannon at Meteor.

Odd way to spell Hojo but sure.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Onmi posted:

They are, yeah. So we don't know why they were dropped, there was for a time a rumor that their production was just so bad that Square was like "No, gently caress that." And decided to restart... but that claim and the person who made it, and I think even the site they made it on, have been erased from existence. So no idea if it's true.

The wikipedia article for cc2 seems to indicate that they were the ones who exited the project citing "mismanagement," but the article from Kotaku that that claim links to is from Brian Ashcraft and just says that Nomura decided that they suck and Hamaguchi took over, per Kitase. Which, I mean, who cares, it turned out great, but for some reason I also seem to recall that this isn't the first project that cc2 was working on and summarily bounced from. Or maybe it is I dunno.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Flopsy posted:

Odd way to spell Hojo but sure.

I'm afraid that if you shot Hojo at Meteor it would turn into the sentient demon planet from The Fifth Element.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Crowetron posted:

I'm afraid that if you shot Hojo at Meteor it would turn into the sentient demon planet from The Fifth Element.

He'd commandeer it then try and gently caress it for science.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I'm a sheep and I bought this because I love Tifa so much:
https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/605342/final-fantasy-vii-remake-play-arts-kai-tifa-lockhart-action-figure

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Onmi posted:

It's funnier than that, you compare the reveal footage to the actual game, everything looks the same at first but but upon closer inspection they're completely different models, actions, scenery, etc. Square basically deleted literally everything cyberconnect2 did, even when they didn't really need to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdduE97oY1w

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

my man I bought the fuckin' First Class Edition of this game, you have nothing to fear. The figures are very Play Arts Kai for better or for worse but Cloud is currently sitting in the iconic Hardy-Daytona pose on my desk next to my monitor. Sometimes I pose him in the Ascension/Climhazzard liftoff and make "whoosh!" noises with my mouth.

you are among friends here

ps I think getting the First Class Edition might be why I got my copy earlier than the 10th. Unless, like, how did that work? Like how did everyone actually get this game - early, or on the 10th digitally, or...?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Cloud is gonna have to kill Aerith after they find that they can't save the world without her dying

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

most of the old work was bad but i feel like cyberconnect cloud really sells the "i'm homeless, have radiation poisoning and spent the last five years in a tube" look

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

I was gonna say that I don't think the cc2 stuff looked horrible but the new poo poo is a marked improvement. Cloud has big anime hero energy in the S-E final cut compared to the homeless chic look the cc2 one has going, and Barret is just a goddamn slab of beef in the S-E take comparatively speaking, which is a pretty solid change. Still, a lot of what's going on is... basically the same? Seems weird that they'd just throw it all out because Nomura complained to Kitase that it "wasn't Final Fantasy enough," but I guess it also speaks to the standards this dev team holds the project to. Which is good, provided someone is still around to tell Nomura "no" by the time the sequel(s) are wrapping up, tells him "no" specifically when he wants to do an extended interlude where Roche fucks his bike and Sephiroth stares into the middle distance saying "Yes... everything will become One, when we reach... that place..."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

eh, eorzeans aren't really people and Firsters definitely aren't
Oh thanks for joining our forums Mr. Elidibus, how's the moon treating you lately

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

I was gonna say that I don't think the cc2 stuff looked horrible but the new poo poo is a marked improvement. Cloud has big anime hero energy in the S-E final cut compared to the homeless chic look the cc2 one has going, and Barret is just a goddamn slab of beef in the S-E take comparatively speaking, which is a pretty solid change. Still, a lot of what's going on is... basically the same? Seems weird that they'd just throw it all out because Nomura complained to Kitase that it "wasn't Final Fantasy enough," but I guess it also speaks to the standards this dev team holds the project to. Which is good, provided someone is still around to tell Nomura "no" by the time the sequel(s) are wrapping up, tells him "no" specifically when he wants to do an extended interlude where Roche fucks his bike and Sephiroth stares into the middle distance saying "Yes... everything will become One, when we reach... that place..."

Sounds like Roche needs to be promoted to love interest so Cloud can gently caress him under the loving gaze of the Highwind.....

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I was really disappointed not to see any more Roche, I hope he makes an appearance in the next part, with a promotion. One of those guys you're always having to have a fight with, but also stymies Shinra on the sly.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

They need to have someone on the Shinra side to be a jovial rival that also hasn't murdered thousands of innocent people

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I was really disappointed not to see any more Roche, I hope he makes an appearance in the next part, with a promotion. One of those guys you're always having to have a fight with, but also stymies Shinra on the sly.

Hopefully Roche hosed off to his home planet but if not I hope we see him get stepped on by Diamond WEAPON in a suitably amazing cutscene on the Playstation 6 in 2040

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Oh my loving God!!..I just watched the prototype cyberconnect trailer and Cloud looks strung out as fuuuuck in it. No seriously he looks like a straight up crackhead who's about to bite somebody if they get too close. And uuuughgh his arms are so veiny!!!! That early render was...that was SOMETHING alright...It's weird because the other characters looked okay, not amazing but alright.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 21, 2020

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

guts and bolts posted:

Hopefully Roche hosed off to his home planet but if not I hope we see him get stepped on by Diamond WEAPON in a suitably amazing cutscene on the Playstation 6 in 2040

Roche comes back to have a Grey Fox style death that inspires Cloud to defeat one of the weapons via sick motorcycle tricks.

"Who was that guy?" Barret asks as the dust settles.

Cloud looks right at the camera and solemnly says "My hero."

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just finished the game and whoa I was not expecting to beat up a physical incarnation of the rest of the games going the way you expect

I think Roche is just in the pile of new characters like Johnny, Leslie, and Kyrie who they're planning on bringing back in the sequels

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Johnny was in the original game, Leslie and Kyrie were in Compilation content.

Roche is New and Amazing

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Johnny, Leslie, and Kyrie can all stay gone, tbh.

Kyrie's grandma is cool, tho

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Johnny was in the original game

Really? drat I forgot him entirely

Did Wedge survive in the original? The Whispers didn't even try to finish him off so I assume so but I didn't remember him surviving. It's been a hot minute though

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, in the original Johnny was just a bystander NPC, his parents were wishing him goodbye as he "left town" in Sector 7 then you see him again outside the Honeybee Inn

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, in the original Johnny was just a bystander NPC, his parents were wishing him goodbye as he "left town" in Sector 7 then you see him again outside the Honeybee Inn

He winds up in Costa Del Sol pissed off at Cloud.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think Johnny is supposed to be friendzoned by Tifa in the original.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Onmi posted:

He winds up in Costa Del Sol pissed off at Cloud.

In the remake he becomes the final boss after merging with the meteor. But it's just a giant screaming version of his head.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

leslie started to be a bit much toward the end of the second sewer trip but i still liked him. the others were good too

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

funny touch how you can see kyrie early on in the first train ride, completely didnt notice her my first time through

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So I finished this the other night, and I gotta give them credit for doing something really ballsy and creative. The implementation of the last chapter left something to be desired, but the rest of the game was so amazing that I can let it slide.

I do wish they reined in the over-the-top superpowers in the last chapter, though. Like, Cloud had previously been a guy that was mostly normal, except extra strong (leaping pretty high and swinging his two ton sword around) and durable (could fall from the plate and survive with a bit of handwaveyness) and agile (leaping from one motorcycle to another). But in the end, he is literally teleporting around like a Dragon Ball Z character while cutting buildings in half. It was the only time I was laughing at the game while rolling my eyes. It does kinda feel like that last chapter was made by an entirely different team or director than the whole rest of the game.

But I found the fights great and I'm now more in love with all the characters than I ever was with the original, and so I'm totally on board for round two.

I sort of wonder if the scene with Zack was just kind of shorthand for people familiar with the 7 lore that "killing the fate ghosts will have repercussions across time and realities, but can result in tragedies being averted", and not that Zack is actually going to show up in THIS reality. Like, in the FF7 cosmos, there are parallel dimensions, but the fate ghosts kept them all pretty much in a parallel line- with them out of the way, the dimensions will all start branching off at different points and going in totally random directions. The game goes out of its way to show Zack surviving is in a different "timeline", and trying to bring characters from other timelines into the Remake narrative seems like it would make the story WAY too messy.

Hope I'm not retreading things that have been covered a million times, but I gave up on catching up with this thread around page 47.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Basically, I'm glad we live in a world where a games company tried something this ballsy and creative. Even if you didn't like it I think it's better than a world where they perfectly remake FFVII and it gets tonnes of cash, prompting another wave of just remaking poo poo from every publisher wanting a cash grab.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to play some Trials of Mana.