Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Pistol_Pete posted:

Til that Luxembourg has it's own language. I'd always assumed they just spoke German or Flemish or whatever.

Unlike the Dutch, the Luxembourgers are mostly at ease with the fact that their language is very similar to German, and embrace German as a useful second language, followed by French and then English at school.

Flemish is a common misconception, as Luxembourg doesn't actually border any Flemish or Dutch speaking regions, and the languages aren't quite mutually intelligible, so a Luxembourger would normally speak English with a Dutch speaker.

OwlFancier posted:

The majority of the european continent speaks some mutant variant of italian or german or both. Except for a few places and people that have their own entirely different language group. But it's mostly either german noises and/or roman noises with a silly accent. English more silly than most.

Oh and slavic languages depending on where you stop colouring it in as europe and start colouring it in as asia.

Yeah this forms the basis of my in-progress European language learning effortpost, but in short it's much less impressive that I speak(ish) 6 languages when you consider it's actually only 2.5 (Germanic, Romance and English).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Conspiracy theories are just an imaginative interpretation to hide how far capitalism will go to exploit the living and the dead, and also happen to be a good way to sell merchandise and expensive conference tickets.

That's my conspiracy theory about conspiracy theories.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's weird how if not for how ubiquitous it is, english would just be insane island german.

I like some things about it, like the lack of gendered words that got dropped at some point in the transition to middle english (I think) but the spelling is horrific and it can't stick to a bloody language group.

My favourite european word, on that note, is still tankodesantniki.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 21, 2020

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah when I hear people speaking italian or german I feel like I can pick up words here and there despite never having studied them. When I hear people speaking polish its 0% understanding.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Boots Online just cancelled my prescription delivery after being 2 weeks late with it, so now my meds run out in 4 days yay!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

DesperateDan posted:

I have enough flour for a dozen good loaves but only about 3 packs of easy yeast left, haven't seen any in months and I'm not about to go pissing about with making raisin yeast juice yet

I would kill everyone in this thread for just one pack of that easy yeast. poo poo's like gold dust. Morrisons had flour yesterday, but they had literally stuck it in the thick paper bags they put pasties and stuff in and put a label on it, so I'm guessing they just used the flour they get in bulk for their bakers and decided to sell it in lieu of having any of their regular stock.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

My favourite european word, on that note, is still tankodesantniki.
Mines czołg

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I would kill everyone in this thread for just one pack of that easy yeast. poo poo's like gold dust. Morrisons had flour yesterday, but they had literally stuck it in the thick paper bags they put pasties and stuff in and put a label on it, so I'm guessing they just used the flour they get in bulk for their bakers and decided to sell it in lieu of having any of their regular stock.

This leads into my theory/random guessing about the flour shortage. With bakers and restaurants who would normally use flour closed down, there is possibly a lot of flour in huge sacks going unused. As people are at home and at least thinking they will get into baking, all of the small bags have disappeared, and we have a wait while the flour is repackaged.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Red Oktober posted:

This leads into my theory/random guessing about the flour shortage. With bakers and restaurants who would normally use flour closed down, there is possibly a lot of flour in huge sacks going unused. As people are at home and at least thinking they will get into baking, all of the small bags have disappeared, and we have a wait while the flour is repackaged.

ISTR a Twitter thread with someone in the know saying exactly that.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Same as eggs the bottleneck is the containers and capability to put it into them not any actual lack of flour.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also based on this map, you can see who got tea over land from traders in China, and who got it by sea from the Southern ports.

And who was just boiling random plants.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

^^^ Wow the North African word for tea is a mouthful :v:

Isomermaid posted:

ISTR a Twitter thread with someone in the know saying exactly that.

At the rate people (including me) seem to be baking, they should just sell the huge sacks in the supermarkets

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 21, 2020

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I enjoy cooking, the only issue I have is that with a massive hernia, standing in the kitchen doing cooking makes my back really hurt after a while, that spoils it a bit. I also have a garlic press and find it very easy to clean.

I have also resigned from the Labour Party and joined the Co-operative Party and signed up with my local Co-op, so while not completely abandoning Labour, I felt it was time to move on from the current PLP bullshit.

This has been an update from forum user Dead Goon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If your supermarket is still selling its in house baked bread they have pallets and pallets of giant flour sacks in the warehouse.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1252521094529064960

OwlFancier posted:

If your supermarket is still selling its in house baked bread they have pallets and pallets of giant flour sacks in the warehouse.

So you're saying seize the means of production?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I have two almost full bags of flour in the cupboard, the newest has a best before date of January 2019. Accepting £50 for each.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Good news: a hedgehog left me a poop present on the path
Bad news: a cat left me a poop present hidden in my gravel and I trod in it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Bobstar posted:

Yep, the PM's text, and the blue jumper lady's speaking is Luxembourgish, my awesome and totally useless second language. Your description is pretty much bang on.
I knew of the language but I'd never heard it spoken, it's really interesting! I feel like I could probably learn to understand it in a couple of months, but would never manage to speak it at all.

Bobstar posted:

Yeah this forms the basis of my in-progress European language learning effortpost, but in short it's much less impressive that I speak(ish) 6 languages when you consider it's actually only 2.5 (Germanic, Romance and English).
I feel very much the same way about my varied language abilities, but I do find it cool seeing where closely related languages differ for some reason and where less closely related ones have retained similarities.

e:

Jippa posted:

Yeah when I hear people speaking italian or german I feel like I can pick up words here and there despite never having studied them. When I hear people speaking polish its 0% understanding.
Hang around with Poles for a while and you'll start to notice that it actually shares a lot of words with Germanic languages! I certainly don't understand or speak Polish, but once you get your ear in on the sounds you can maybe pick out what a conversation topic is by keywords that you recognise.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Apr 21, 2020

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

OwlFancier posted:

Maybe, though I'd also say a key element is that they almost always hinge on there being a plan, it might be an evil plan, but it's all planned out, someone's in control, someone's in a big evil office somewhere pulling all the levers to make the bad things happen, rather than them being emergent behaviour from a bunch of other stuff.

It's generally a very person driven understanding of the world rather than a systems driven one.

In my experience, it's generally this.
Particularly when it is something that comes out of tragedy. As humans we are prepared to believe any narrative, even an illogical or hurtful one over the idea "bad stuff happens. No moral. "

When my daughter died my first thought wasnt that it had happened due to bad luck or negligence by the doctors.
It had happened because I hadn't read my parenting book cover to cover. Because doing that would have somehow stopped her heart from failing.

I think that's why individuals fall into conspiracy theories. The people who push those theories (and they add the caveat that the evil Illuminati types who are in control are all powerful. But they have to willingly make you do these things and have to put clues out there. Like it's a game with rules.) Do so to seek fame and fortune but they are exploiting the grief of others to do so.

With Deus Ex, when it came out the mainstream media's view of conspiracy theories were that they were so whacky and harmless fun so let's indulge them. As opposed to seeing that they were symptoms of a much bigger problem.

In media depictions they run into the problem that these conspiracies are all powerful and can do and kill whom they like and can't be stopped, except by the enlightened heroes.
Don't get me wrong, I used to watch them all the time. But in recent years Designated Survivor and (especially) Mr. Robot ran into this major problem around 2016 where their plots about an evil cabal of super competent leaders ran afoul of the real world which had Trump and Brexit unfolding.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

Hang around with Poles for a while and you'll start to notice that it actually shares a lot of words with Germanic languages! I certainly don't understand or speak Polish, but once you get your ear in on the sounds you can maybe pick out what a conversation topic is by keywords that you recognise.

I know "kurwa". :D

minema
May 31, 2011
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/coronavirus-matt-hancock-ventilators-ppe-nhs-government-tom-moore-a9468826.html

lmao

quote:

In any case, the government can’t be doing anything wrong, because they’re “being led by the science”.

If you were picky, you might ask why Germany has tested 10 times as many people as we have and has one-quarter of the death rate. The answer is simple: in Germany science is different from here.

German molecules of virus are easier to control, because they move in straight efficient Germanic lines and obey when they’re given orders. Easier science has always been Germany’s advantage. For example, they don’t have gravity, which is why they were able to get those zeppelins up and running so quickly. And the laws of motion make objects travel faster there, which is why they always win at penalty shoot-outs.

quote:

Similarly, no one seems to ask why didn’t we take part in the EU scheme to distribute ventilators. The government said it’s because we “didn’t get the email” and that was accepted.

Tony Blair must wish he’d thought of that after the Iraq War. Instead of that annoying inquiry, he could have explained: “The email that said Saddam didn’t have weapons of mass destruction got mixed up with one announcing a special offer on armchairs at DFS, so I didn’t see it, I’m afraid.”

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jippa posted:

I know "kurwa". :D

I think you could hold a pretty long phone conversation in Polish with only "kurwa", "tak", "no tak" and "nie teraz".

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Imagine getting flour and using it to bake bread. I've gone fully Marie Antoinette and any flour I get is becoming cakes

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

endlessmonotony posted:

So has the Brexit situation gone from "they will buy our cakes" to "there will be adequate food" to "if you find food for sale you're still legally allowed to buy it"?

What's next?

Crankit posted:

Imagine getting flour and using it to bake bread.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

In media depictions they run into the problem that these conspiracies are all powerful and can do and kill whom they like and can't be stopped, except by the enlightened heroes.
Don't get me wrong, I used to watch them all the time. But in recent years Designated Survivor and (especially) Mr. Robot ran into this major problem around 2016 where their plots about an evil cabal of super competent leaders ran afoul of the real world which had Trump and Brexit unfolding.

Yeah I enjoy watching these shows (Designated Survivor was fun, or 24 - oh look Rocket Romano from ER is a sneaky conspiracy dude!) because they're a fun alternative universe where there are strong good guys, and shadowy bad guys who, if only they could be exposed, would be seen by the public as very very bad.

Reading the Shock Doctrine and the like is an antidote to that - there is a "conspiracy" to do lots of terrible things, but it's multifaceted, chaotic, and they're not really bothering to keep it a secret (at least not in the TV way) - and when you do "expose" them, people go "meh, that's normal" or "what are you, some kind of communist?"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Northern European language chat:

I lived in Germany for a while in the 70s so I could muddle my way round in German. Then I did Norwegian evening classes for 3 years so every time I went to try and speak German, Norwegian came out. I also did French at school for O-level so could muddle my way through French to some extent. Now, every time I try to speak French, Arabic comes out (because I lived in the Middle East for several years I can muddle my way round in Arabic).

I found a few things: if I am in the Netherlands /Belgium/Lux, I can sort of muddle my way through Dutch or Flemish or Luxembourgish newspapers if they are at roughly equivalent to Uk Red Tops language level by thinking of the German word and 'saying' it in my head with Norwegian pronunciation. Norwegian gives me a bit of a headstart on Swedish.

About 25 years ago I went to Brussels with a friend and we had a day apart to ourselves and I determined not to speak any English at all that day. I found the Flemish came more naturally to me than the French. But my accent was terrible. However, I got by and by the afternoon, shopkeepers were saying Varsågod to me - I concluded that as Sweden had just joined the EU and as I look somewhat scandanavian they had decided I was Swedish and that was probably their one Swedish word.

I went to Norway a few times. The first time, every time I tried to speak Norwegian, I would be answered in English. The second time I went, they would look at me quizzically and say 'Er du dansk?' (Are you Danish), which my Norwegian friend said 'Shows how poo poo your accent is' but for me was wonderful that they didn't immediately guess I was English.

When I did a tour 5 years ago from Paris to Luxembourg to Brussels to Amsterdam, in Paris I couldn't stop speaking Arabic every time I tried French. By the time I got to Brussels my French had improved dramatically having de-rusted all the cogs in my head. Then I got to Amsterdam and for the life of me couldn't stop speaking French every time I tried some extremely rusty Dutch.

So, tl:dr, my conclusion is: learn some German, some French and one Scandanavian language and with your English, you're covered to muddle your way linguistically round a large part of Northern Europe.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Crankit posted:

Imagine getting flour and using it to bake bread. I've gone fully Marie Antoinette and any flour I get is becoming cakes

:agreed:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think if a norwegian accuses you of being danish that's about as harsh a criticism you can get lanugage wise :v:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I went to Norway a few times. The first time, every time I tried to speak Norwegian, I would be answered in English. The second time I went, they would look at me quizzically and say 'Er du dansk?' (Are you Danish), which my Norwegian friend said 'Shows how poo poo your accent is' but for me was wonderful that they didn't immediately guess I was English.
This is extremely relatable to me - my happiest moment living in the Netherlands was when someone mistook me for a Belgian.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

I think you could hold a pretty long phone conversation in Polish with only "kurwa", "tak", "no tak" and "nie teraz".

A friend of mine who spoke no Arabic was parked with her husband's female relatives who spoke no English for a day. She got through 8 hours by judging from the tone of the conversation whether she should say 'hamdulilah' or 'inshallah'. By the end of the day, they loved her to pieces and thought she spoke wonderful arabic though she was pretty clueless as to what they had been saying all day. (You can say 'hamdulilah' for just about everything using different tones. Win the new car in the supermarket raffle? Hamdulilah in a happy voice. Lose your home and all your belongings in a building collapse? Hamdulilah in a sad voice).

Said friend also tried her Arabic out in a supermarket. She wanted 1kg of olives. All she could remember was that it was a word beginning with Z. So she asked for a kilo of Zebb instead of zeitoon. She was standing by the olives so the shopkeeper with his eyes goggling out of his head and his face going purple gave her the olives.
Half an hour later, he turned up on her doorstep and said "Excuse me, I must speak with your husband". I leave it as an exercise for the reader to guess what she had in fact asked for! (Ed: upon request for explanation, zebb = penis)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Apr 21, 2020

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

This is extremely relatable to me - my happiest moment living in the Netherlands was when someone mistook me for a Belgian.

:hfive:

The joys of having a Luxembourgish accent when speaking non-English languages.

French guy: "Are you Belgian?"

Dutch guy: [literally pointing and laughing] "Haha you sound like a German!"

I wouldn't be surprised if I sound French when I speak Spanish.

E: just remembered the time I had a whole conversation with a Dutch car park attendant, entirely in Dutch, she want away to check something, came back and resumed the conversation in German, presumably based off an unconscious mental pigeonholing of my accent.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 21, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Amazon finally had clippers that could go past a 4 in stock for cheap although it's not the guards that are adjustable. Anyway gonna give my head a 3 all over tomorrow for the first time and see how it is

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Red Oktober posted:

My boss ordered a 32kg sack of flour from some place online. It's around, as long as you want a lot of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do it while rear end blasting on your bidet for the maximum quarantine lush experience.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

A friend of mine who spoke no Arabic was parked with her husband's female relatives who spoke no English for a day. She got through 8 hours by judging from the tone of the conversation whether she should say 'hamdulilah' or 'inshallah'. By the end of the day, they loved her to pieces and thought she spoke wonderful arabic though she was pretty clueless as to what they had been saying all day. (You can say 'hamdulilah' for just about everything using different tones. Win the new car in the supermarket raffle? Hamdulilah in a happy voice. Lose your home and all your belongings in a building collapse? Hamdulilah in a sad voice).

Said friend also tried her Arabic out in a supermarket. She wanted 1kg of olives. All she could remember was that it was a word beginning with Z. So she asked for a kilo of Zebb instead of zeitoon. She was standing by the olives so the shopkeeper with his eyes goggling out of his head and his face going purple gave her the olives.
Half an hour later, he turned up on her doorstep and said "Excuse me, I must speak with your husband". I leave it as an exercise for the reader to guess what she had in fact asked for!

I'm pretty sure this is a universal communication technique.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Aphex- posted:

Anyone who hates spending too much time cooking should really invest in a slow cooker. They're cheap (i got mine for like £25) and you just chuck in all the ingredients in it in the morning and it's done by dinner time. Sometimes you should brown the meat before putting it in but apart from that, that's all there is to it. I've made some really tasty curries, goulash, pulled pork and loads more in it.
Slow cooker is definitely on our kitchen wish list but we have absolutely no space for any more stuff until we move house and lol on that front.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apropos of nothing except recent conversations, the fact that I just came across it, and possibly the thread title, I present for the thread's consideration, a new possibility for why you would go around calling people cucks.

Specifically, you could be re-enacting the english civil war:

http://wiki.bcw-project.org/royalist/horse-regiments/sir-horatio-cary

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

My brother (front line NHS staff (&incidentally tested positive for covo!)) was saying that false negatives are way safer than false positives, based on the assumption that if you test positive you can just go back to work when you're better. If they get a negative result, his NHS Trust just keep testing until you come back positive.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I suppose technically they could go after you for breach of copyright though I include a reference, if you don't have permission, the owner can come after you and at the very least insist you include a reference, perhaps insist you remove it, or go after you for copyright breach.
Best not to gently caress around with this ime, had some dealings with copyright enforcers a while back, can't remember if I posted about it but oh my God they are the biggest cunts I've ever dealt with, way more aggressive (& aggressively stupid) than your common-or-garden debt collectors. That was literally the only time I ever genuinely lost my temper doing legal poo poo.

If you use a photo off the web on your blog, there's no fair use argument, you've literally reproduced it in full, and they can (& will) demand payment. Even if the photo in question is that famous one of Safiyah Khan (I think her name is?) standing up to the EDL & you're using it to encourage standing up to the EDL. So I've heard.

Unrelated, imo cooking nice meals to enjoy with your loved ones is a really nice way to feel at least a bit normal, & I really want a haircut.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Lol imagine being able to be in the same room as your loved ones.

I haven't been in the same room as another human for 7 weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

endlessmonotony posted:

Where are all the cool cyborgs? I mean, other than me, I guess.

I'm only one because it was the only way to treat my illness, though. I'd have been totally fine if life didn't devolve into a nightmare. I never asked for this.

Heavy prosthetics exist. Even thought-controlled ones. But they're expensive still, so they're not deployed often. This is presumption, though, based on few few videos that randomly cropped up,

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 21, 2020