Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

quote:

What you're ignoring is that the primary cycle we just went through was, in the eyes of many on the left, an illegitimate coup of its own.

Two wrong's don't make a right. It is only true for the left through various levels of abstraction and context, and an ideological lens that isn't a given. And most importantly, was done within a framework in which everyone agreed and consented to; the left needs to be the centrists at their own game and need to further expand and consolidate their own support base within the party. To quote a certain movie, "Americans love a winner, and will not tolerate a loser." Not only would what you desire be seen as illegitimate, it would be seen as the weak, desperate attempt to change the results of a process they agreed to because they're losers, and that, will absolutely kill the left faster as a credible political alternative to Americans to any political machinations or cloak and dagger backroom scheming or violent crackdowns.

quote:

You're dodging the fact that historically, an enthusiasm gap that big is a really bad sign for a presidential challenger.

And historically there are plenty of signs to be optimistic about the Democrats winning in November in spite of that, you're not refuting anything I'm saying. I've already acknowledged that Biden has unfavourables, my argument works because it accounts for it; you have not acknowledged or accounted for Trump being an unprecedented historically weak as an incumbent.

e: tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Willo567 posted:

Probably his sister, from the way things are looking.

Also:

https://twitter.com/chadocl/status/1252402564739461126

Maybe he just went to Argentina for a good time?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

ryde posted:

So much jubilation in the comments about this. My heart really just sank into my stomach (wife is an immigrant).

So is Trump's

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Biden did not win the nomination because he got a lot of votes in South Carolina, and Sanders did not lose it because he did not campaign there. The movement toward Biden began before he won South Carolina. His polling numbers there were starting to reflect his national tumble, then they stabilized, improved, and then he outdid the polling. This movement continued to Super Tuesday, and can be seen in polling averages. His numbers improved before the South Carolina primary results were announced.

This movement happened because Democratic voters did not actually want a long, protracted primary, and once they perceived that might happen, they went all-in with the most known candidate: the VP of the last Democratic administration. The VP of the last Democratic administration won the nomination in '00 and '84 too. Voters like making the VP their nominee. It has very little to do with anything Joe Biden actually did. One could argue that they might have gone to Sanders if the media and the party hadn't told voters to not do that. But that's not really Biden's doing.

It's a pretty clear case of people seeing 100% causation in a situation where there's way more correlation. It is also, I imagine, because no one wants to really admit that nothing actually mattered to Democratic primary lemmings.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 21, 2020

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Hillary Clinton, who is like GOP Smear Machine Target #1, still came within a loving hair of winning the election and did get more of a popular vote, and that was before 4 years of Trump.
Yes, before people got used to him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I don't think a lot of liberals will know what to do with themselves after Trump at this point.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Willo567 posted:

Clearly the answer is another four years of Trump.

unfortunately this is what it is. Politics is all about factions. as each faction wins elections they get more power in the party. This is the Obama faction. They need to lose in order for the faction to stop having so much power. Do I think it will change anything? No. This party has become so sick and twisted by donor money that they don't care about winning anymore. They only care about the patronage networks. I honestly don't know what to do about this but electing republican lite definitely isn't it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ManBoyChef posted:

unfortunately this is what it is. Politics is all about factions. as each faction wins elections they get more power in the party. This is the Obama faction. They need to lose in order for the faction to stop having so much power. Do I think it will change anything? No. This party has become so sick and twisted by donor money that they don't care about winning anymore. They only care about the patronage networks. I honestly don't know what to do about this but electing republican lite definitely isn't it.

So what happens when Biden wins in November?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Global Pandemic, US economy is halted completely with tens of millions unemployed.

Meanwhile we have the Trump Admin using it as a way to halt all immigration, using mafia tactics to intercept PPE ordered by states, giving out daily propaganda videos carried nationally, making deals with cartels to try and RAISE gas prices, trying to incite violence against blue state governors, allowing red state governors to endanger their entire populations.

And yet you donkeybirds spend the past few pages whining about Joe loving Biden.

:psyduck:

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Angry_Ed posted:

Ah yes the perfidious DNC tricking people in South Carolina and elsewhere. I suppose they also tricked Bernie into not bothering to do much campaigning in SC as well.

Biden also won in places he didn't campaign. It doesn't seem like campaigning matters in the primary when the mainstream media and the DNC has chosen you as their nominee. You can complain all you want about Bernie's campaign but he raised a poo poo load of money and activated a poo poo load of people. Unfortunately he had to fight against a media apparatus that would never accept giving up even a modicum of their power and influence.

Biden sucks. Trump sucks. The hostage situation we are in pretty much every election cycle sucks. for the people shaming those that don't want to vote for biden you should be instead wondering how you can get them back in the party because shaming is going to push them further away.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Ok Comboomer posted:

So what happens when Biden wins in November?

nothing. We go back to the status quo that brought us trump. Things will probably actually be a lot worse than status quo.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1252542407285055489

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

OhDearGodNo posted:

Global Pandemic, US economy is halted completely with tens of millions unemployed.

Meanwhile we have the Trump Admin using it as a way to halt all immigration, using mafia tactics to intercept PPE ordered by states, giving out daily propaganda videos carried nationally, making deals with cartels to try and RAISE gas prices, trying to incite violence against blue state governors, allowing red state governors to endanger their entire populations.

And yet you donkeybirds spend the past few pages whining about Joe loving Biden.

:psyduck:

It's called Dungeons and Dragons for a reason.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Angry_Ed posted:

Ah, you're an accelerationist, should've realized.

No, I'm saying that no matter how bad things get, people won't "wake up" in enough numbers to make a point. So thinking about these disasters in terms of "oh, now people will realize things need to change because this disaster proves to normies our society is hosed up." Amercians, at least, don't get that their lives suck because of the system. They think the "system" is just plain reality. Things suck because things suck, that's how they are. So no pandemic, super storm or world war is going to make people reject their capitalist conditioning.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This is pretty harsh, I still always tune into Morning Psycho for his insightful commentary.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

nickmeister posted:

No, I'm saying that no matter how bad things get, people won't "wake up" in enough numbers to make a point. So thinking about these disasters in terms of "oh, now people will realize things need to change because this disaster proves to normies our society is hosed up." Amercians, at least, don't get that their lives suck because of the system. They think the "system" is just plain reality. Things suck because things suck, that's how they are. So no pandemic, super storm or world war is going to make people reject their capitalist conditioning.

You wanna bet on this?

I know there's a tendency for us here on this insular community to discount people, but drat..

There are a lot of very pointed lessons being taught in real time due to this crisis. The current order is showing that it has no solutions for the problems that we face. This is not being lost on people. Have a little faith.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1252547765332324352
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1252552057170649088

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 21, 2020

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I mean it’s not like he has anything else he should be focusing on right now.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

God he is such a little bitch.

I'm sorry, I don't use language like that normally, but come the gently caress on..

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

TyroneGoldstein posted:

You wanna bet on this?

I know there's a tendency for us here on this insular community to discount people, but drat..

There are a lot of very pointed lessons being taught in real time due to this crisis. The current order is showing that it has no solutions for the problems that we face. This is not being lost on people. Have a little faith.

Seriously, arguing about what the results of the election will be is insane when just having a public debate between the two options could end the republic. If poo poo is still terrible by summer, and those two rotten-brained gropey old racists get up and have a confused slapfight on stage, forget it, America is cancelled.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Angry_Ed posted:

His hope is that when/if the curve flattens he can take credit for it by closing the borders and then be all like "mean Democrats said I was racist but look at what my actions did"

It'll be interesting when everything spikes right after his EO since it's also when red states are gonna try to reopen

Narrator: he's literally the only person who does care about it, which is why he's mentioned it repeatedly

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 21, 2020

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1252556676818968576

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress Joe Biden, right!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This is one of those mornings where it's hard for me to accept that this is all real. Everything is so horrible and stupid. He has legions of people across the country ready to kill and die for him, the worst President in history.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

This is one of those mornings where it's hard for me to accept that this is all real. Everything is so horrible and stupid. He has legions of people across the country ready to kill and die for him, the worst President in history.

Andrew Jackson would like a word.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

I’m surprised he never bragged about winning the Primary this year.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Yes Donnie, that’s totally what it means.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’m surprised he never bragged about winning the Primary this year.

He has been. There were primaries he "won" that he bragged about in real time months ago.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

n/m

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 21, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Stay the course, Big Neddy! You're doing super!

I don't know why it bugs me so much that he CLEARLY PROOFREADS AND PUNCHES UP HIS TWEETS because he always goes back and adds little parenthetical "(great!)" type interjections. Like he can't leave a slogan like THE CURE CANNOT BE WORSE THAN THE DISEASE, he rubs his chin and says "hmmm not quite there yet" and goes back and adds "(by far!)" and says PERFECT

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Syenite posted:

Andrew Jackson would like a word.

Trump has his genocide caused for his personal benefit under his belt, so Jackson no longer has that giving him a leg up in the worst presidents ranking. The only thing standing between Trump and indisputably worst president is intentionally causing a US civil war, and he's working on that.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1252568028736339968?s=21

e: Billion begins with B

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 21, 2020

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

But who will Trump take to prom now?! :ohdear:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

OhDearGodNo posted:

Holy poo poo. Out of the 350m for PPP, only 50m went to actual small businesses.

Working as intended, op.

Realtalk, they will continue to do this with increasing blatancy until we start smashing capital under our boot heels, and not a moment sooner.

E: I can’t read, but the point remains

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 21, 2020

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

TulliusCicero posted:

But who will Trump take to prom now?! :ohdear:

Un has a sister so expect that international relationship to get a a lot creepier.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Uncle Wemus posted:

Who takes over NK if Un dies?

A few pages back, but Un's sister seems

a. Way more competent
b. Has worked with SK on a number of unification and diplomatic missions, including the unified Olympics

She's also the one that gave Pence the icy stare and seems far more politically savvy than Un. Potentially good things could come to the Korean Peninsula from her taking over

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Do we have a thread specifically for discussing campaign advertising and marketing? Seems like looking at how various parties, candidates, etc construct and deploy their messaging could be a fruitful exercise.

On that note:

https://twitter.com/peterjhasson/status/1252374440572157956?s=19

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Un has a sister so expect that international relationship to get a a lot creepier.

seriously how many times do we have to breathlessly report "KIM ON VERGE OF DYING" with zero evidence before we stop doing it

nerox
May 20, 2001

OhDearGodNo posted:

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1252568028736339968?s=21

Holy poo poo. Out of the 350m for PPP, only 50m went to actual small businesses.

Actual article:

https://apnews.com/6c5942eec36cc43b25ad5df5afebcfbd

PPP was 350 BILLION not million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

:lol:

https://twitter.com/TheTNHoller/status/1252568503271424000