Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

zer0spunk posted:

is lutefisk good? fish made from lye sounds..interesting?

It's not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Recent tweets from a very stable genius man:

quote:

I’ve had great “ratings” my whole life, there’s nothing unusual about that for me. The White House News Conference ratings are “through the roof”(Monday Night Football, Bachelor Finale ,
@nytimes) but I don’t care about that. I care about going around the Fake News to the PEOPLE!

Yet you talk more about ratings during a pandemic than human suffering and show no empathy. Hmmm....

quote:

In light of the attack from the Invisible Enemy, as well as the need to protect the jobs of our GREAT American Citizens, I will be signing an Executive Order to temporarily suspend immigration into the United States!

I read that GREAT like Tony the Tiger says it about those frosted flakes. Also you really don't have to pretend you are doing this because of the pandemic.

quote:

96% Approval Rating in the Republican Party. Thank you! This must also mean that, most importantly, we are doing a good (great) job in the handling of the Pandemic.

In the land of the blind the blind man who claims he can see is king!

quote:

We will never let the great U.S. Oil & Gas Industry down. I have instructed the Secretary of Energy and Secretary of the Treasury to formulate a plan which will make funds available so that these very important companies and jobs will be secured long into the future!

Truly the most important groups to focus on protecting in the middle of a pandemic. Make sure their checks have your name on them too!

quote:

It is amazing that I became President of the United States with such a totally corrupt and dishonest Lamestream Media going after me all day, and all night. Either I’m really good, far better than the Fake News wants to admit, or they don’t have nearly the power as once thought!

FTFY

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

zer0spunk posted:

it is, soap is not edible...that doctor was a moron and edited it out of the video after the fact but it already went viral

one goon mentioned she was using diluted bleach washes on produce which seems..not smart?

people are panicky, fact-checking and research go out of the window in that state
Bleach solution washes are a normal and fine way of cleaning produce. It was normal before coronavirus
https://ucfoodsafety.ucdavis.edu/sites/g/files/dgvnsk7366/files/inline-files/26437.pdf

Hate it when that fact-checking and research goes out the window

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Andrast posted:

It's not

quote:

Why do they soak lutefisk in lye?
It is said that lutefisk was invented because some "fumbly person" happened to drop lye on a piece of dried, soaked fish and thus discovered that the dry fish re-took its original shape and became white.

Checks out

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Anne Whateley posted:

Bleach solution washes are a normal and fine way of cleaning produce. It was normal before coronavirus
https://ucfoodsafety.ucdavis.edu/sites/g/files/dgvnsk7366/files/inline-files/26437.pdf

cool, I was under the assumption you didn't want to bleach produce cuz bleach is harsh even in diluted forms..so I learned a thing!

the paper seems to agree, but at least its not a safety issue like ingesting soap..thanks for sharing

quote:

The regulations do not specify a permissible residual level of
chlorine. Presumably, the fresh water rinse eliminates any potential problem with residual chlorine. As a practical matter, residual
chlorine would in most foods produce highly objectionable flavors
and odors well before becoming a safety hazard

I'm not going to start bleaching my produce or anything but still good to know

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 21, 2020

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

zer0spunk posted:

No.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Xenocides posted:

quote:

I’ve had great “ratings” my whole life, there’s nothing unusual about that for me. The White House News Conference ratings are “through the roof”(Monday Night Football, Bachelor Finale , @nytimes) but I don’t care about that. I care about going around the Fake News to the PEOPLE!
Yet you talk more about ratings during a pandemic than human suffering and show no empathy. Hmmm....

lmao he even sucks at humblebragging

Xenocides posted:

quote:

It is amazing that I became President of the United States with such a totally corrupt and dishonest Lamestream Media going after me all day, and all night. Either I’m really good, far better than the Fake News wants to admit, or they don’t have nearly the power as once thought!
FTFY

The US president is actively clamoring to have more influence and power than the free press

what a world

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

zer0spunk posted:

it is, soap is not edible...that doctor was a moron and edited it out of the video after the fact but it already went viral

one goon mentioned she was using diluted bleach washes on produce which seems..not smart?

people are panicky, fact-checking and research go out of the window in that state

Oh God, I though you were arguing against washing your hand. I am so sorry. Who the hell wash produce with soap. You could remove the soap with acidic formula but still, WTF. Just loving scrub lightly with your hand its not difficult.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah, had to kill the E. coli from the slave laborers taking shits in fields somehow

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I'm surprised a bunch of kids didn't die in the past 100 years from getting their mouth washed out with soap. Soap is super deadly. It is poison.

Non-toxic and all. But POISON! Its unthinkable how much damage soap could do if you ingested it. Thats why we don't soak our dishes in it, too dangerous.

(I don't wash my produce in soap because it sounds disgusting to me, I just put it under the faucet like a human being, but I really think the least dangerous thing people might do in a day is eat a bit of soap residue compared to hitting a weed vape pen 48 times)

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

coronavirus posted:

I'm surprised a bunch of kids didn't die in the past 100 years from getting their mouth washed out with soap. Soap is super deadly. It is poison.

Non-toxic and all. But POISON! Its unthinkable how much damage soap could do if you ingested it. Thats why we don't soak our dishes in it, too dangerous.

(I don't wash my produce in soap because it sounds disgusting to me, I just put it under the faucet like a human being, but I really think the least dangerous thing people might do in a day is eat a bit of soap residue compared to hitting a weed vape pen 48 times)

I can't tell if I should be impressed by your commitment to this gimmick or not.

Ladies and gentlemen, the coronavirus telling you eating soap is perfectly healthy. (because you wash dishes?? what)

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
*Hands you a soapy as gently caress plate to eat on*

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's crazy to me how many people have conflated 'flatten the curve' with 'the virus is gone'

the curve that was flattened was the rate of new infections. there's still a shitload of virus out there! deblasio is seriously calling for a goddamn ticker tape parade? this is just so monumentally stupid

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

bagels and corn tortillas are made with lye also

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

poverty goat posted:

bagels and corn tortillas are made with lye also

you have no idea the shame i feel as a bagel fan right now not knowing lye is involved in their creation

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Seriously, in like a month or two when 10k or so are dying daily in the US, they'll be calling it a second peak when it's just that we didn't even wait for the peak to start opening up.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

zer0spunk posted:

I can't tell if I should be impressed by your commitment to this gimmick or not.

Ladies and gentlemen, the coronavirus telling you eating soap is perfectly healthy. (because you wash dishes?? what)

You shouldn't eat arsenic either but I don't freak out about trace amounts in my apple.

Dish soap is not some kind of super poison. Calm down. Yes, you shouldn't drink it from the bottle like maple syrup. No, you don't need to worry about a bit of soap residue being left behind on a vegetable, but you don't need to use soap on produce anyways.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
everyone can have a little soap, as a treat

- coronavirus 2020

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

zer0spunk posted:

everyone can have a little soap, as a treat

- coronavirus 2020

Give it a rest dude it’s gone on long enough

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
https://twitter.com/aishacs/status/1252407674559332359

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

zer0spunk posted:

It's totally fine

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Crazy, I thought the CARES act was a mandatory thing. States can deny that federal funding?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Spinz posted:

It's totally fine

someone beat ya on correcting me. didn't know, my bad

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That person makes a good point and i do wonder if this will become a trend in some states

Here in FL only 6% of unemployment claims have been processed. The worst in the US. We have like 1-1.2 million claims right now.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

RIP in peace Georgia

March 18th: Schools Closed - 51 new cases

March 24th: Mass gatherings/restaurants/theaters closed - 254 new cases

April 3rd: Stay at home order - 483 new cases

Yesterday: 632 new cases

Yep, time to reopen vital businesses such as *checks notes* bowling alleys

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Anne Whateley posted:

Read this you weirdos and stop the food washing derail

If you don't want to fine, but stop slamming those of us that do!

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

zer0spunk posted:

someone beat ya on correcting me. didn't know, my bad

Np, it was Anne Whateley with the excellent link

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Riatsala posted:

RIP in peace Georgia

March 18th: Schools Closed - 51 new cases

March 24th: Mass gatherings/restaurants/theaters closed - 254 new cases

April 3rd: Stay at home order - 483 new cases

Yesterday: 632 new cases

it's crazy the mayor of atlanta is totally at odds with the gov..0 communication never a great sign

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Spinz posted:

Read this you weirdos and stop the food washing derail

If you don't want to fine, but stop slamming those of us that do!

You’re doing it now.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

There's someone out there in America right now making GBS threads their guts out because they washed mushrooms or broccoli or bread or something in soapy water and ate more than the recommended daily value as a result. It's not a super poison, but it's also not vitamins, and it's considered Not Food Safe for good reason. If it makes you feel better, dilute bleach should be totally adequate, and safe. Bleach evaporates clean without residue, unlike soap, which is the foundation of how every restaurant protects you from salmonella without feeding you small amounts of soap or antiseptic all the time. There's absolutely no harm in wiping an apple with bleach solution but for some things it will probably reduce the shelf life. For any vegetables you're going to cook there's really no need for all of this- change it out into another container when it comes home and then just treat it like a raw piece of chicken and clean up after yourself after you put it in the pan, and you'll be perfectly safe from the virus, and from eating soap, and from accidentally ruining your produce.

e: also I'd speculate that soap is much worse for shelf life since it's going to go hog wild on oils that keep things from drying out and prevent mold and such

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 21, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'm really nervous at what the fallout from all these openings is going to look like. I don't want any of these people, as dumb as the signs and all that is, to die...jesus.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Mozi posted:

it's crazy to me how many people have conflated 'flatten the curve' with 'the virus is gone'

the curve that was flattened was the rate of new infections. there's still a shitload of virus out there! deblasio is seriously calling for a goddamn ticker tape parade? this is just so monumentally stupid
here's what De Blasio actually said, which imo is much more reasonable than what's being reported
https://twitter.com/nycmayor/status/1252610038516068358
He's still not a good mayor, but he's not that homicidal

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Riatsala posted:

tbf I bought a new bowling ball in February and was getting used to it (consistent 220s and 230s) and based on that alone I think it's time to reopen all bowling alleys

All Bowling Alleys Matter

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

That person makes a good point and i do wonder if this will become a trend in some states

Here in FL only 6% of unemployment claims have been processed. The worst in the US. We have like 1-1.2 million claims right now.

no it isn't a good point at all, and it is facebook nuttery.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Louisgod posted:

tbf I bought a new bowling ball in February and was getting used to it (consistent 220s and 230s) and based on that alone I think it's time to reopen all bowling alleys

All Bowling Alleys Matter

I'd like to see your homemade quarantine bowling alley good sir.

Carrying all the different size shoes would probably be the hardest part right

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Anne Whateley posted:

here's what De Blasio actually said, which imo is much more reasonable than what's being reported

You could try paying them more instead of making a spectacle of it. Especially the EMTs and the like who make poverty pay. They would appreciate it more. Just a thunk.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Xenocides posted:

You could try paying them more instead of making a spectacle of it. Especially the EMTs and the like who make poverty pay. They would appreciate it more. Just a thunk.

they actually did recommend 50% hazard pay for those very people..TBD on if it is more then just a "we should"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mozi posted:

Yeah a friend of mine had a big rant on social media about that meme which goes "Re-opening businesses because the curve is starting to flatten is like taking off your parachute because it already slowed your descent" and it took a bunch of us several hours to convince him that flattening the curve just means that the virus is currently being held in check at its peak rate and isn't accelerating any further, it doesn't mean things are safe now.

He's usually a lot smarter than this, I'm pretty sure he was just having a panic attack because the entire world has gone to poo poo and was grasping at a straw

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Anne Whateley posted:

well that's good at least

the point remains in general of course (wtf georgia). it's going to be very sad and depressing in a few weeks as people realize what's happening

it's like feeding my sourdough starter; alright folks it was growing out of control so we stuck it in the fridge and it calmed down. everything's fine now so let's pull it back out and toss a bunch more flour in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

zer0spunk posted:

I'm really nervous at what the fallout from all these openings is going to look like. I don't want any of these people, as dumb as the signs and all that is, to die...jesus.

My guess? Basically like the second wave of spanish flu. It's going to be reeeally hard to tell people to go back home once we let them out.