Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Weaving seems to be enough to make shadows solid, so if you wanted to use someone's shadow as a noose or set of manacles or exoskeleton under your rather than their control Death 3 would be enough. Patterning Death with no other conjunctional Arcana seems to be sufficient to turn someone entirely into shadow, which would also imply that you can just use that to grant someone the metaphysical properties of shadows such that you could control them with shadow-control magic. It's kind of weird that that's not a Death 4/Life 4 effect, and I can only suppose it's using a multi-step process in which you first enmesh someone with deathly Twilight as you can with Death 3 and then Pattern them now that they're already within your Arcanum's bailiwick in some way.

It's still hacky enough that it strikes me as a misprint/oversight, to be honest, but the precedent's there if you want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I would argue it’s because Death is already inherent to the human Pattern, so you can directly pattern their relationship with their shadow to make them ALL shadow. That being said the shadow manipulation spells are kind of under explained, I’d love to know the devs’ framework for Death effects that fall into that penumbra. I like the shadow effects quite a bit, it’s just difficult to extrapolate from them.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I can see it, but on the other hand you can use Mind 4 to send someone's mind on an astral sojourn but not to transmute their entire person into a psionic emanation. On the other other hand, you probably could dissolve anything into a symbol of itself with a combination of Patterning and Unraveling Prime, though whether you could do so in a reversible and survivable way is debatable.

Edit: The way I always explained the ability of Death alone to spoof Arms of Ahriman was the fact that, well, ghostly numena are sufficient to touch and move things, right, so you must simply be granting shadows the same physical-world leverage as poltergeists already enjoy. I bet the actual explanation, especially as of 2E, is that shadows themselves should be understood to naturally enjoy that kind of power and it just happens to be latent in the Fallen World, in most cases.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 11, 2020

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Do I really need to check for nimbus tilts evrrytime someone cats a spell?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Soonmot posted:

Do I really need to check for nimbus tilts evrrytime someone cats a spell?

We rarely use them. They can be fun, but if your players don’t care, don’t use them. That fell in the ‘a little too tedious’ for us to remember category. It’s not a game breaking decision either way.

If your players really like them, have them track those things. It could help them set the direction of the scene if that’s something they’ll like to do. Granted, I also have players keep track of damage done in games, so I’m a big fan of players helping do the book keeping.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think I'm only going to roll for it on exceptional successes and intentional flaring.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Player's first use of magic was to curse a loud boomer denigrating fast food employees at a rest stop on the highway. That of course attracted the attention of the true fae trawling for pets at that rest stop and two players are already being led toward the hedge thanks to the promise of Pizza Puffs and yaoi.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I recall there was a old World of Darkness Vampire book that talked about the players being Elders and the threats they would face. Anybody recall the name of it? :shrug: Thanks in advance.

Soonmot posted:

Player's first use of magic was to curse a loud boomer denigrating fast food employees at a rest stop on the highway. That of course attracted the attention of the true fae trawling for pets at that rest stop and two players are already being led toward the hedge thanks to the promise of Pizza Puffs and yaoi.

:allears: This is the kind of story I visit this thread for.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 12, 2020

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Helical Nightmares posted:

I recall there was a old World of Darkness Vampire book that talked about the players being Elders and the threats they would face. Anybody recall the name of it? :shrug: Thanks in advance.

Probably Elysium?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

That's exactly it. Thanks!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Soonmot posted:

And they say the World of Darkness spirit doesn't live on.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Soonmot posted:

gently caress why can't I GM this good.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
welp, I guess we're starting our mage game in the hedge, because one of my Moros decided the heat haze they saw between themselves and their friends was an actual heat haze and went to cast a forces spell to dissipate it. Two others walked into the haze with him and now I have five of seven in the hedge and I'm sure the other two are gonna rush right in behind.

Jerik
Jun 24, 2019

I don't know what to write here.
So, for a long time I'd been kind of thinking of starting a PbP Demon: the Descent game, and I figure now that I'm stuck at home and not working thanks to the epidemic it's as good a time as any. But this will be my first time running a Chronicles of Darkness game. (I've had many years of experience as a GM with a lot of different systems—including oWoD—but the Chronicles of Darkness system isn't one of them.) I think I'm pretty good at picking up game systems, though, and the fact that the game will be PbP will be an advantage because it means that if I have to look up a rule that I'm unsure of it won't be slowing down the game.

But before I start, I want to make sure I have the system and setting more or less down, so my question here is: what books do you recommend reading before starting a game of Demon? I've read the core Chronicles of Darkness rulebook cover to cover; I'm in the process of reading the main Demon: the Descent book; are there any other books I should definitely read before starting the campaign? The Demon Storytellers Guide? The Players Guide? I mean, on the one hand I want to be as well prepared as possible, but on the other hand the more books I decide I have to read before starting the campaign the longer it's going to take, and I don't know if those books really have any essential material. So I just wanted to get a feel for how important the books besides the core rulebook are, and if there are any I definitely should be reading before I start.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Demon's Storyteller Guide is a pretty solid book -- more for the campaign advice than for the new mechanical options, though. Virtually all of the Demon supplements have absolutely wild power creep going on.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
The Players Guide also has a lot of stuff on how demons think, feel, and behave, goes into detail on Agencies - and a great section on infrastructure. I've run Demon a fair amount over the years, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 13, 2020

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Players managed to use space and fate mage sight to follow their connections to those outside the hedge and escape. Our first scene ended up being entirely improvised on my part, but was a success.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Congratulations! Running mage has been like that a lot for me. It’s to the point where my session planning comes down to 1-2 sentences per active storyline, just to jog my memory or help me remember what they’ve done. It helps that I have a bunch of existing NPCs, and I steel shamelessly from pop culture for character archetypes.

Past that, I don’t do a ton of planning because they never go the route I expected them to go and it saves time and frustration for me. I really enjoy the chaos of STing mage with players who like to make decisions for their characters.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I've posted it in here a few times, but I've finally finished completely writing up my own Mage campaign DaveB-style after it's come to a close here. A good time was had by all (a few months ago when we actually did this, I just put off the writeup).

In closing I have to say that my group really enjoyed the campaign but I clearly, as a GM, didn't spend enough time working through spellcasting with them and really letting them know the scope of what they can do. I should've even maybe had a whole session of 'magic practice' and helping them work through some theoretical challenges so that they felt more comfortable.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Okay, Mage STs: How the gently caress do you deal with describing the same thing ten different loving ways because everyone is using mage sight?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Soonmot posted:

Okay, Mage STs: How the gently caress do you deal with describing the same thing ten different loving ways because everyone is using mage sight?

Just go into detail on the elements that are substantively different, ie the version that has the most detail or info. Break things down by arcanum - plenty of times only one or two Mages will see the important bits while the rest of the cabal sees their usual revelations.
You don’t always need to give sensory detail, though it’s fun - if this isn’t a major element, you can just tell them what they puzzle out.
Basically, don’t feel like you need to give a complete visual description of the Supernal World seen in mage sight every time, focus on pertinent or interesting details.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Soonmot posted:

Basically ignore it unless a player is specifically focused on something. The player should know what their Mage Sight looks like most of the time, and if you have reason to draw attention to something that's between you and the player. It's largely the same for more normal-ish senses. You don't need to constantly belabor a bunch of differences for the guy who wears glasses or has Darksight 60 ft or whatever, but it can be fun to play it up when it's important.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 14, 2020

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I just feel lovely telling the one player "Hey you see what I decribed to the other Moros too, and nothing you don't expect with Time"

Edit: I may be letting them see too much with mage sight.

The matter and forces users saw that this library had the electrical grid and HVAC systems arranged to form mystic patters, while the matter users saw that, buried in the walls and floors were precious metals and stones forming runes. The Prime user saw that the purpose of this spell was to boost some mental skills while in the library, which I think might be too far. The player using death, saw what I called "death blots" which are either fatal illnesses or imminent deaths. That last part I really like, even if it might step on Fate a bit.

Should I have made the Prime user either use focused mage sight or an unvieling to discover the purpose of the enchantment on the library?

\/\/\/ahhh thank you

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 14, 2020

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
How did they see through the walls?

Basically, you may have gone a little too much with it this time. No problem though, just dial it back a little bit. Active mage sight is where you see something that might be out of place. It takes examination with focused sight and/or some knowing spells to get deeper information.

Active mage sight is a minor thing though, and you should take a look at it again. Don't feel bad about only telling the one with Prime sight something that Time doesn't see, that's normal. Actually scrutinizing something is different, and there are different ways to understand it magic. It's the difference between just seeing something with your eyes, and focusing on something so that you know what's happened. I liken it to the difference between seeing and comprehending/understanding. The first is a 6th sense, the second is a study.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
It's a beautiful night outside

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The improvised spell casting site certainly helped, but I'm really happy with how quickly both my players and myself have picked up improvised spell casting.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
EMERGENCY UPDATE: The Hunter Horror Recognition Guide is deal of the day on Drivethru, 60% off the pdf, it's literally $3.60 for the next eleven hours

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product_info.php?products_id=59880&site=&currency=USD&products_id=59880

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

ElNarez posted:

EMERGENCY UPDATE: The Hunter Horror Recognition Guide is deal of the day on Drivethru, 60% off the pdf, it's literally $3.60 for the next eleven hours

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product_info.php?products_id=59880&site=&currency=USD&products_id=59880

It literally increased to $8.99 while it was in my shopping cart. :negative:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Dienes posted:

It literally increased to $8.99 while it was in my shopping cart. :negative:

drat you, Exarchs!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I haven't made a drive-by shitpost in this thread in a while, so have one:

The Nightmare Before Christmas is a movie about a freehold of Autumn Court Darklings

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I'm down to the last handful of novels, and then it's finally all read (I kept putting them off because, well. They're like, 3-400 pages of absolute dreck each, since they're all from the early runs before they had even a semblance of quality control. Reading them in and of itself isn't too painful but the data entry stage is very dull precisely because there's nothing good about it that skimming to find my notations reminds me of, unlike the ones that were actually readable, if not high art.) There's still the final input and cleaning passes but we're on schedule for EOY2020 for at least the core dataset release, probably early 2021 for the deluxe package with city proportions, explorations of the divide between representation versus informed populations, the essays on Garou inheritance and Vampire feeding habits (and the trap of assuming a city's total population is available to feed on rather than anywhere from 1/3rd to only 1/10th), and All The Charts.

Timeline release will probably be delayed into 2021 since I've got a lot of sourcebooks to revisit for that due to changes I made mid-project in methodology and criteria for inclusion, but that's actually not too big a workload in itself because only 1/3rd to 1/2 of any given sourcebook actually needs to be read for that, and having already done the more time consuming work of stopping and recording every critter mentioned, I can mostly skim the non-history bits like character writeups, coterie dynamics, and so on. In theory I can release a barebones timeline EO2020 too. The ultradeluxe timeline written up as a coherent(ish) single(ish) history will take a bit longer than the improved baseline timeline since I have to convert it all into prose and there's something like 6000 events to do that for, plus all the bonus material and sidebars on DM possibilities and explanations for why I've linked certain events.

You'd think a global pandemic would be good for boosting productivity on this nerd poo poo but instead I've been stuck struggling with my regular PhD work.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I had 100% forgotten about this Unsolved Mysteries episode that deals with crimes associated with "Vampire games" (Segment starts at 33:48) and then it came on this morning.

It's a pretty solid recap of the 90's :stare::drac: stuff, and probably worth a viewing just for the Who killed Tupac? teaser at the end.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Rip to the pc that died in my campaign last night

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Metapod posted:

Rip to the pc that died in my campaign last night

If it was a Vampire campaign, weren't they technically already dead?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Everyone posted:

If it was a Vampire campaign, weren't they technically already dead?

True final death

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Metapod posted:

True final death

Maybe they can come back as a Wraith? Given oWoD weird, wacky mix of powers death seems like it's only slightly more final than in a comic book.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Anyone got a copy of the extensive fan rework Kindred of the Ebony Kingdom got back in the day? It used to be at this adress: http://www.geocities.com/predaphile/wod-vamp-kotek.html but it's been down for a long time and somehow the Internet Archive wayback machine doesn't have it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

DantetheK9 posted:

There's a reason the Revised Tribebook dedicated a decent amount of space to "Yeah, some of us supported Nazis. We killed them. Show that kind of weakness and we'll loving kill you too."

I admit that I really love this. I love that the Revised Get of Fenris consider the Nazi "philosophy" to be one of weakness given the way that Nazis constantly try to hold themselves up as the strong, master race.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

OPP said they're not going to delay the Technocracy 20th Anniversary KS which is happy news for somebody, I expect.

It suddenly occurs I hope Brucato isn't working on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Dawgstar posted:

OPP said they're not going to delay the Technocracy 20th Anniversary KS which is happy news for somebody, I expect.

It suddenly occurs I hope Brucato isn't working on it.

I have a hard time imagining any M20 product not featuring Brucato as a writer. I'm probably going to hate this book because I've disliked the apologia the Technocracy has got over the years.