Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does george galloway have a coherent political position or is he just mad and starved for attention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jippa posted:

I heard old people down here call it char as well. I never made the connection.

Nobody here has ever heard of tea ladies being called char ladies?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jedit posted:

Nobody here has ever heard of tea ladies being called char ladies?

Nope.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

I suspect it used to be a lot more common generally at least for working class people. And we did own India after all.

Char's pretty common in Cockney too, and I'd guess probably in most of the other big industrial revolution cities because that's where we got the troops required in case the Indians were just *too* happy with our colonies.

(There are a few other Indian - mostly Urdu - loanwords in Cockney which made it out into the general language, like "pukka" and "thug", and ones that have mostly stayed in Cockney like "cushty", and "dekko" - Cockney is a magpie dialect even by the standards of English)

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Does george galloway have a coherent political position or is he just mad and starved for attention?

What do you think?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I struggle to tell, honestly.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

seems like the nhs botnet thing is fugazi, a hoax, a complete fiction.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Yvonmukluk posted:

So a friend of mine and fellow Labour member has sent me a link about a live meeting for something called The 'Workers Party UK' called the death of Project Corbyn, hosted by George Galloway. What's a tactful way to tell her that it's best worth avoiding?

Aside from being a different party, of course.

I was trying to post this but my internet crashed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBe-jMLuFN0

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I wonder about those directly affected by coronavirus by having a close family member die (16500) what sort of response and impact they'll have in the future. I imagine now they'll be in a state of mourning, but I can see them becoming political pawns in the following years. Will they be grateful to the NHS for trying, or angry at the government for doing nothing - and what role will they play in shaping public opinion?

(apologies if a wee bit ghoulish, especially if anyone here has lost anyone to coronavirus)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Latest NHS England figures are out

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

justcola posted:

I wonder about those directly affected by coronavirus by having a close family member die (16500) what sort of response and impact they'll have in the future. I imagine now they'll be in a state of mourning, but I can see them becoming political pawns in the following years. Will they be grateful to the NHS for trying, or angry at the government for doing nothing - and what role will they play in shaping public opinion?

(apologies if a wee bit ghoulish, especially if anyone here has lost anyone to coronavirus)

they'll blame it on the EU, immigrants and Jeremy Corbyn and we'll all move on to the next atrocity

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Pablo Bluth posted:

hmm

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pablo Bluth posted:

They're still setting up new Nightingales and are being *very* evasive about ICU occupancy (NHSE were reporting those numbers up until last week). Something's definitely not matching up here.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Pablo Bluth posted:

What I don't get is that in early March all the graphs and predictions I saw saw this going on for far longer with many more casualties, yet from these official figures from a governmental organisation that has no skin in the game, it looks like we'll all be having street parties in ten days.

I just don't get it. I'm stumped. Not a bloody clue. Ey, do you remember that Kung Flu what were all that about we had to cancel our cruise for nowt.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They're still setting up new Nightingales and are being *very* evasive about ICU occupancy (NHSE were reporting those numbers up until last week). Something's definitely not matching up here.

They may be trying to expand hospital capacity (as opposed to testing capacity) ahead of a partial reopening of the economy. It's an idea that's been floated quite a bit lately.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I was talking to a friend working in primary care in an English county a couple of days ago. She said they have spare capacity in ICU in her county but Birmingham is overflowing and are planning to (or maybe already) sending some patients over to her county. She also had to get hold of PPE for her place of work in a sort of hush hush ducking and diving manner because there is just none available of what they need to order online because NHS England have snaffled it all and are 'managing' supplies.

The situation is definitely different around the UK.
Also those graphs are just England and don't include Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.
Do they include care homes / home deaths yet?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

That's a dark-edged bee-fly, very under recorded so if you have time you should add it to iRecord or Naturewatch

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

justcola posted:

What I don't get is that in early March all the graphs and predictions I saw saw this going on for far longer with many more casualties, yet from these official figures from a governmental organisation that has no skin in the game, it looks like we'll all be having street parties in ten days.

I just don't get it. I'm stumped. Not a bloody clue. Ey, do you remember that Kung Flu what were all that about we had to cancel our cruise for nowt.

If we start seeing a solid day-on-day downturn this week that'll be 2-3 weeks quicker than any other country, and I'm definitely not buying that.

The rather grim thought that keeps popping into my mind is that the early stages of a collapse of the NHS would definitely include increasing delays in paperwork being filled out and sent on, which would definitely then show an apparent drop in deaths.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was talking to a friend working in primary care in an English county a couple of days ago. She said they have spare capacity in ICU in her county but Birmingham is overflowing and are planning to (or maybe already) sending some patients over to her county. She also had to get hold of PPE for her place of work in a sort of hush hush ducking and diving manner because there is just none available of what they need to order online because NHS England have snaffled it all and are 'managing' supplies.

Also those graphs are just England and don't include Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

These are explicitly deaths in hospital only.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

I would imagine that Ireland is probably more influenced by the english word than the more remote islands. Old dialects and words often only really survive in isolated places.

They aren't even loving wrong lol. Honestly if the republicans want to burn down the entire idea that the political class gives a poo poo about you, it'd be one of the only useful things they've done.

They don't though.

They want to burn down the idea that anyone else but them giving a poo poo about you is possible at all, which isn't helpful when they are loving fascists.

That ad would be a great argument for whole system reform if it WAS an argument for whole-system reform an d it proposed a meaningful way of acheiving that, but it's not it's an ad for fuckign Trump for president.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not yet. I read somewhere that if care home deaths were included, we would have passed 20,000 last week.

The Nightingale hospitals and other excess capacity is definitely being prepared at the moment to cope with a glut of cases once things start to be reopened. The idea behind the lockdown was to buy time for the NHS to build this capacity. The lockdown itself seems to be working a lot better than anyone predicted considering the delay in implementing it, which seems to be prompting the government to jump the gun with an early reopening.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

justcola posted:

Looks about right within margins of error for the green curve we're following.

Please ignore the green curve after summer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

They don't though.

They want to burn down the idea that anyone else but them giving a poo poo about you is possible at all, which isn't helpful when they are loving fascists.

That ad would be a great argument for whole system reform if it WAS an argument for whole-system reform an d it proposed a meaningful way of acheiving that, but it's not it's an ad for fuckign Trump for president.

What they want to do and what they will achieve, I think, are two different things. I do not think you can perfectly manage an advertisement that is a clear and deserved attack on class inequality but also make everyone who sees it think that your rich assholes are the good guys. It will work on some, particularly those predisposed to already think that, and it will definitely depress the working class support for the democrats, but that's necessary, that has to happen, cos as long as the working class support goes to people like that they'll never get anywhere.

There's gonna be a lot of lefties rightly making GBS threads on the dems for being vulnerable to that, and it's a very easy message for a proper left wing effort to attach itself to.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

As a side note NI recently changed our reporting system to include care home deaths and launched a fancy new dashboard to show bed and ICU capacity as well alongside admissions against discharged (partly in reaction to similar data being offered across the border).

Link
https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJr...jZjNSIsImMiOjh9

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I have really ominous feelings about the government forcing everyone back to work. Something smells really, really bad about this

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Is that also where the Manx originates from too, and is there a proposed PIE root? It sounds quite different from the rest. (Excluding Basque which is like the only pre-PIE language to survive in Europe.)

It's interesting that there's no trace of that in Ireland itself (so says the mappe), as some of the last exclusively Gaelic speaking settlements in Ireland were supposedly Presbytarian Scots Highlanders in Ulster (but not in NI), who would have presumably said leann.

Yeah, Manx is part of the same family so their lhune will be related.
As to a proposed root - according to MacBain here
lionn, leann "ale" comes from/is related to
linne "a pool", which in turn comes from/is related to
lighe "a flood, overflow" from the root lî, leja "flow".
Disclaimer: As a prehistorian by training and inclination I'm not totally convinced that the theoretical reconstruction of unrecorded, in any way, languages is going to get all the little nuances of how living languages warp and change* so any discussion of PIE must be massively speculative. There is also the suggestion that the insular-Celtic languages would include relics of the original pre-PIE languages of the Mesolithic inhabitants of Britain that are not found in their continental relatives.

OwlFancier posted:

Old dialects and words often only really survive in isolated places.
This basically.

*Eg. In high school in the 70s we could tell which village kids came from because of little differences in vocabulary (especially slang of course), despite only being 2-3 miles apart on average and all sharing the same radio/television.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/21/turkish-ppe-flight-only-slim-chance-goods-will-arrive-in-uk-today

the debacle with the gowns is p symptomatic of their whole loving useless response to this is, but also the media aren't very good at actually holding them to account for this poo poo

like why doesn't the article address whether 400,000 gowns is actually a lot? Gove has said that 25 million are coming from China at some point, so clearly they're something that are used on that order of magnitude.

For all I know 400,000 could be a week's supply or even less, so the question would be what they're going to do about this next week and the week after

also this is an amazing turn of phrase, although I guess "lying" might be more libellous?

quote:

Ministers have been giving what turned out to be false assurances that the equipment was due to arrive imminently in the UK since the weekend.

XMNN fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 21, 2020

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

XMNN posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/21/turkish-ppe-flight-only-slim-chance-goods-will-arrive-in-uk-today

the debacle with the gowns is p symptomatic of their whole loving useless response to this is, but also the media aren't very good at actually holding them to account for this poo poo

like why doesn't the article address whether 400,000 gowns is actually a lot? Gove has said that 25 million are coming from China at some point, so clearly they're something that are used on that order of magnitude.

For all I know 400,000 could be a week's supply or even less, so the question would be what they're going to do about this next week and the week after

also this is an amazing turn of phrase, although I guess "lying" might be more libellous?

I saw this on the live blog earlier, but it's the first and only time I've seen the "ministers promise [big number] coming [soon]" numbers put into any kind of context:

quote:

The first of three RAF flights finally left on Monday for Turkey to begin collecting a consignment of personal protective equipment (PPE) including 400,000 surgical gowns. The government said meanwhile that 140,000 gowns had arrived from Burma - but with the NHS using 150,000 a day, the demand on resources remains intense.

So your hunch is right, 400,000 is less than 3 days' worth.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Barry Foster posted:

I have really ominous feelings about the government forcing everyone back to work. Something smells really, really bad about this

Somebody in the USPOL thread was saying that private equity groups have been lobbying hard for an early reopening. Their standard operating procedure of buying a company with it's own debt, mortgaging it to the point that it can barely service the debt, and then asset-stripping it doesn't really leave much of a buffer against even a moderate downturn. And when a company does fail, they tend not to lose any sleep about just walking away and dropping the whole mess of redundancy payments, pension liabilities and bankrupted creditors right into the government's lap. Considering how much of the British retail and manufacturing sectors they own, it would be understandable if people are getting nervous.

Soylent Yellow fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 21, 2020

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Incredibly on-brand commitment to number.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Soylent Yellow posted:

Somebody in the USPOL thread was saying that private equity groups have been lobbying hard for an early reopening. Their standard operating procedure of buying a company with it's own debt, mortgaging it to the point that it can barely service the debt, and then asset-stripping it doesn't really leave much of a buffer against even a moderate downturn. And when a company does fail, they tend not to lose any sleep about just walking away and dropping the whole mess of redundancy payments, pension liabilities and bankrupted creditors right into the government's lap. Considering how much of the British retail and manufacturing sectors they own, it would be understandable if people are getting nervous.

I do not relish the idea of having to convince my friends and (especially) family to ignore the 'all is clear, go back to work! go shopping!' signal in a couple of weeks.

No one wants to hear from pessimists at the best of times. Trying to get my parents to take this seriously in the first place was like herding cats. They won't want to hear it.

EDIT I'm so tired of trying to make people think, it's like trying to bail out a barrel with a thimble. The hold of the established narrative over people's brains is overwhelming

EDIT AGAIN also 823 dead today, so it looks like the rate's not going down any time soon :smith:

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 21, 2020

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
My rural Welsh village had it's first two known cases yesterday. Up until now, we've avoided it. One of the two works in the village shop, so considering the fact that every pensioner goes in there without fail every day for their morning newspaper like arthritic lemmings, it's probably everywhere.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Barry Foster posted:

It's definitely not good, but I wonder how different it will be. I do not personally know a single (non-self-)employed person irl who has been able to stop work this whole time.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Oh dear me posted:

It's definitely not good, but I wonder how different it will be. I do not personally know a single (non-self-)employed person irl who has been able to stop work this whole time.

most of the people I know who aren't NHS staff or school teachers have managed to shift to working from home, but that's because I'm a middle class bellend

admittedly I do know quite a few of both of the above though

zhar
May 3, 2019

Jose posted:

Lol I'm not shaving my head for some sense of control I just get annoyed at it when it's longer particularly now I'm going running and getting sweaty.

Anyway I know we're all slating starmers poo poo response to covid but he has nothing on the democrat leaders

https://twitter.com/peterjhasson/status/1252374440572157956?s=19

I'm not up to speed on US politics at all, can someone explain why this bill was blocked? Is it just to prevent good things happening to US citizens by Trumps government in the runup to the election or are there real issues with it? Did they give a reason?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Not sure what's supposed to happen with all the high risk folk shielding if everyone else returns to work. Is there a plan for them other than "stay inside until there's a vaccine, sorry"?

Some the people I know who are high risk have jobs where they interact with the public so there's surely no way they can go back if it's circulating through everyone.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Oh dear me posted:

A lot of manufacturing and support companies have either closed doors or dropped down to a skeleton crew. My workplace had to close as none of our suppliers were still trading.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Not sure what's supposed to happen with all the high risk folk shielding if everyone else returns to work. Is there a plan for them other than "stay inside until there's a vaccine, sorry"?

Some the people I know who are high risk have jobs where they interact with the public so there's surely no way they can go back if it's circulating through everyone.

Or the working age people living with an elderly or vulnerable relative. Lock Grandad in his bedroom and post meals through a catflap?

Soylent Yellow fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 21, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

With the death of a sikh A&E consultant, Manjeet Singh Riyat, yesterday, I'd like to know why so many BAME health workers have died compared to non-BAME. I hope 'they' are going to look into this at some point.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

zhar posted:

I'm not up to speed on US politics at all, can someone explain why this bill was blocked? Is it just to prevent good things happening to US citizens by Trumps government in the runup to the election or are there real issues with it? Did they give a reason?

Because if you add up the stimulus cheques issued, the total comes to about 20% of the money requested for the bill. The rest was going straight to rich Republicans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

zhar posted:

The big one is there is within it a 500 billion slush fund for the Republicans that specifically doesn't have a paper trial for the first six months.