Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I came across a post yelling at someone for having their VDDP at 1.1v, my motherboard sets it to that so I tested changing that to the recommended .9v just to see if the guy was full of poo poo.

Down that rabbit hole now I'm running my previously 3600CL18 at 3800CL16 with IF at 1900 stable so far! This is definitely faster. Why is the auto voltage so drat high?

I also think I won the silicon lottery since the DRAM calc has my IF speed in bright red.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

pixaal posted:

I came across a post yelling at someone for having their VDDP at 1.1v, my motherboard sets it to that so I tested changing that to the recommended .9v just to see if the guy was full of poo poo.

Down that rabbit hole now I'm running my previously 3600CL18 at 3800CL16 with IF at 1900 stable so far! This is definitely faster. Why is the auto voltage so drat high?

I also think I won the silicon lottery since the DRAM calc has my IF speed in bright red.

I think it depends on what CPU you have. A lot of 3600s have difficulty going above 1800MHz on the IF but a higher binned chip like a 3700x or 3800x would probably be more likely to hit 1900.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
My 3600 doesn't go above 1800, no matter the voltages or memory settings.

I think 1900 IF is much rarer than people think. I think a lot of the early hype and information made out like everyone was going to hit 1900.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I'm gonna let this run for a few days with folding at home and see if I get any problems but so far seems stable, not sure the PBO overclock is doing much I've only noticed my low core going form 2800 to 3200 and it's adding 10c to the thermal load. Doesn't seem like a good trade off still going to leave it for my testing.

I circled the culprit that was defaulting to 1.1v
still lots of room to tighten up the RAM I loosened it a bit while pushing for DDR3800. This is 4 sticks of RAM too. Reverse fact checking of simply googling CLDO VDDP returns several things that say you want to lower the voltage to overclock.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

TSMC has delayed their "3nm" process at least 6 months. Was initially expected to appear in 2022, so still a ways away.

5nm (that AMD will use with Zen 4) is apparently on schedule and has reached full production for the new iPhone parts already.

https://www.computerbase.de/2020-04/tsmc-5-nm-fertigung-plan-3-nm-2022/

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Samsung's 3nm has been pushed out a few months too.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
In not Zen news, Chuwi is dropping the Aerobox soon https://www.chuwi.com/product/items/Chuwi-AeroBox.html, with apparently failed Xbox One S dies and an "R7 350" iGPU. Like I don't even know why, getting a V1807B and then fiddling with the clocks and memory would probably get you something waaay better and it's not like it'd be an issue getting ahold of them. Using an Xbox One S die has to be some kind of loving freebie. I mean I kind of want one just to see how such an oddity performs. I can't imagine the Jaguar cores would have direct access to any unfused ESRAM, but now I'm trying to imagine what 8 Jaguar cores would do with 32MB ESRAM in the first place. Imagine if the BIOS isn't locked down and you get to gently caress around with the FSB and multiplier.

I think maybe the bigger news is that the dies (RX-8125, RX-8120 and A9-9820) are being sold to whoever'd like to make a project out of them, although I'm not sure what they'd even be good for. I guess AMD is just opening the unused chip vaults and offering them up to a good home. Wonder what the rights look around Fenghaung and Polaris 22?

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 16, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
New EPYC 7F52: Looks like some customer had a frequency-sensitive workload that wasn't being served by IPC and more cores, so they whipped up a batch of Rome chips on meth.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15715/amds-new-epyc-7f52-reviewed-the-f-is-for-frequency

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

EmpyreanFlux posted:

In not Zen news, Chuwi is dropping the Aerobox soon https://www.chuwi.com/product/items/Chuwi-AeroBox.html, with apparently failed Xbox One S dies and an "R7 350" iGPU. Like I don't even know why, getting a V1807B and then fiddling with the clocks and memory would probably get you something waaay better and it's not like it'd be an issue getting ahold of them. Using an Xbox One S die has to be some kind of loving freebie. I mean I kind of want one just to see how such an oddity performs. I can't imagine the Jaguar cores would have direct access to any unfused ESRAM, but now I'm trying to imagine what 8 Jaguar cores would do with 32MB ESRAM in the first place. Imagine if the BIOS isn't locked down and you get to gently caress around with the FSB and multiplier.

I think maybe the bigger news is that the dies (RX-8125, RX-8120 and A9-9820) are being sold to whoever'd like to make a project out of them, although I'm not sure what they'd even be good for. I guess AMD is just opening the unused chip vaults and offering them up to a good home. Wonder what the rights look around Fenghaung and Polaris 22?
if it's using a separate discrete GPU that would be pretty disappointing because I long wondered how the actual console chips as a whole would do as windows boxes, and we'd be able to actually have direct PC - xbox one comparisons

i wonder if this box would do quad channel though

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

if it's using a separate discrete GPU that would be pretty disappointing because I long wondered how the actual console chips as a whole would do as windows boxes, and we'd be able to actually have direct PC - xbox one comparisons

i wonder if this box would do quad channel though

That's probably down to the PCB design, but man that'd be amazing. In theory aftermarket DDR3 could probably feed the 12 CUs and you'd get a fairly potent APU that could probably beat the current APUs in synthetics but then get it's rear end kicked in real world applications because it's attached to dogshit Jaguar cores. Still, maybe that's what an RX 350, the iGPU? I dunno we'll have to wait on a review. Bets on who the first reviewer is going to be?

I wonder if the Xbox Slim just doesn't sell so that's how Chuwi got ahold of the chips. Like there is the PS4 Slim APU, and it's clear with the Subor Z+ that using GDDR5 as system memory for windows, while not ideal, is workable. That'd be a hellacious APU as long as the BIOS wasn't locked down.

I know AMD doesn't have the resources for it, but maybe they could chat up ASRock, ASUS, etc to spin up some NUC likes to dump all the unused Fenghaung processors in.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

New EPYC 7F52: Looks like some customer had a frequency-sensitive workload that wasn't being served by IPC and more cores, so they whipped up a batch of Rome chips on meth.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15715/amds-new-epyc-7f52-reviewed-the-f-is-for-frequency

It also has a ton of cache.

It's interesting to me that the 16 core Epyc is actually $100 cheaper than the 3950x. I know it's lower frequency and needs a lot of other expensive hardware to go along with it, but still.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

pixaal posted:

I'm gonna let this run for a few days with folding at home and see if I get any problems but so far seems stable, not sure the PBO overclock is doing much I've only noticed my low core going form 2800 to 3200 and it's adding 10c to the thermal load.

PBO sucks imo. It was only boosting to 4GHz so I did a manual overclock and managed to get it stable at 4.2GHz on all cores while dropping temps by 8C in prime95. I think I got somewhat lucky in that it's prime stable at 1.325V but it will not go above 4.2GHz no matter what I do. I might actually be able to drop the voltage slightly lower but I haven't had time to mess with it the past couple of days.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 17, 2020

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

AMD is donating USD15M worth of computing gear to the COVID-19 effort. It'll be made up of Epyc-based HPC nodes to be distributed to organizations upon request, and enough Radeon Instinct M150 cards to double the peak performance of LLNL's Corona supercomputer.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15731/amd-covid19-hpc-fund-initial-15m-donation-of-epyc-and-radeon-hardware

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Good PR, marketing, good cause, tax writeoff.... holy poo poo, I don't want to alarm anyone? But....

<hushed whisper> There might actually be people with brains working at AMD even after Jim Keller left!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1251208645532139520

Cheapest x570 is at $144 at the moment.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
But do they have chipset fans? :v:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

orcane posted:

But do they have chipset fans? :v:

The leaked ones dont, it is the same silicon as x470/b450. Although it seems to be a new revision of some kind, different numbers on the heatspreader.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Good PR, marketing, good cause, tax writeoff.... holy poo poo, I don't want to alarm anyone? But....

<hushed whisper> There might actually be people with brains working at AMD even after Jim Keller left!

Look Jim might be the cowboy but Dr. Su is the sheriff smart enough to bring him in

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I hope B550 supports dual PCIe 4.0 4x NVME or at least 4.0 4x + 3.0 4x but I'm preparing to be disappointed.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Palladium posted:

I hope B550 supports dual PCIe 4.0 4x NVME or at least 4.0 4x + 3.0 4x but I'm preparing to be disappointed.

IMO the sane option is 2 NVMe both connected straight to the CPU, but with the 2nd in x2 mode so they still have the Sata ports. That way you have gen4* for both even if one is 2 lanes, and they don't have the stupid nvme disables sata 5&6 that most B450s do. That's easily good enough for desktop & gaming users, and allows X570 to keep a specs advantage in marketing.

*though B550 mobos may intentionally limit stuff farther away from the CPU to gen3, to avoid the expensive things needed to send gen4 long distances

OTOH if they were gonna do that they could have put B550 out a year ago, so I guess it'll be something more?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ryzen-3-zen2-based-quad-core-processors-from-amd-in-the-works.html

It looks like AMD might be coming out with 4 core Zen 2 processors with SMT as the 3100 and 3300X

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I want a 4c/8t low frequency mobile Ryzen with enough CUs to power modern games at 30-60fps at low/mid settings at ~720p on a Freesync display in a handheld form factor similar to a GPDWin 2. Is there a reason why this isn't feasible (aside from it being admittedly niche, though I'd think such a chip would be useful outside of this)?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
What you're asking for is a chip TDP in the single digits...

At that point there's competition from ARM parts going into SBCs and the like.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The GPDWin2 can handle about ~15w when pushed, though it gets pretty loud.

The advantage over ARM is binary compatibility with a preexisting x86 library of games, though I guess that matters less if the SoC gets shoved into a tablet.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ryzen-3-zen2-based-quad-core-processors-from-amd-in-the-works.html

It looks like AMD might be coming out with 4 core Zen 2 processors with SMT as the 3100 and 3300X

So this preemptively kneecaps the arguments for an i3 10th gen unless the i3 is unlocked and they'll probably slot underneath a 3400G, so like 129$ for 3300X and 99$ for the 3100. Wonder if that kills the value of the 2600/1600AF?

Also lol at instantly vaporizing nearly all value in all older i7s except the 4770/90.

SCheeseman posted:

I want a 4c/8t low frequency mobile Ryzen with enough CUs to power modern games at 30-60fps at low/mid settings at ~720p on a Freesync display in a handheld form factor similar to a GPDWin 2. Is there a reason why this isn't feasible (aside from it being admittedly niche, though I'd think such a chip would be useful outside of this)?

Minimum power draw might be too high for a Renoir in any configuration? It's basically down to the IF, the cores themselves scaled-down really well but even now the interconnect is still thirty.

Maybe someone could screw around and try to lock a Renoir CPU to 4W and see what happens.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have a ryzen 2700 (non x) currently, I'm bored with it and it doesn't take well to overclocking. Would an upgrade to a 3950x be anything other than a waste of money ? My current motherboard is an Asus Strix b450-i and the machine mostly does doom eternal, VR racing sims like Assetto Corsa and iRacing (these acutally run the cpu fairly hard when lots of cars are onscreen) and folding@home.

Basically I bought the 2700 as a holdover until the 3950x came out after my i5 7600k died, and then never bothered upgrading.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
16 cores do nothing for gaming, the only upgrade would be innate improvements that the 3000 series brings.
You can get those with a 3700 but if it's worth it I dunno, your 2700 won't sell for much as is customary with AMD stuff.
Maybe you can pick one up closer to the 4000 launch, when existing stock get price cuts.
Overclocking is dead on Zen. In fact you should check everything with a fine comb to ensure that your setup runs AMD reference voltages, and not whatever the mainboard vendor thought was a bright idea.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 20, 2020

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Upgrading every generation is generally a losing proposition, too.

We are expecting new CPUs, probably in the September-ish time frame, and a recent round of rumors has those supporting the AM4 socket as well.

Either way, AMD CPUs drop in price in a way Intel's don't when the new stuff comes out, so it might be worth waiting a bit.

I hear you, though. I'm slobbering for an upgrade from my R7 1700.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I think a lot of first gen Ryzen owners will be getting on the 3000 price cuts when they happen given they are the end of the socket and most boards can take a 3700X or 3800X at the least.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'm thinking of just getting the 4X00 on sale next year to replace my 2700X, might as well if it means not having to upgrade motherboard and RAM.

It's nice to at least have the option to upgrade this year or next if you suddenly need something faster.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah maybe ill wait for the 4950x or whatever they call it.

I'm also waiting until there's something 200% faster than my 1080ti to upgrade to. I've got this weird machine that will cost $$$$ to upgrade for maybe 15% performance increase.

I'm almost considering doing video editing as a hobby to justify an upgrade.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

jonathan posted:

Yeah maybe ill wait for the 4950x or whatever they call it.

I'm also waiting until there's something 200% faster than my 1080ti to upgrade to. I've got this weird machine that will cost $$$$ to upgrade for maybe 15% performance increase.

I'm almost considering doing video editing as a hobby to justify an upgrade.

Yeah. Outside of GPUs the PC hardware landscape is really boring these days (as in justifying new shiny hardware) unless you have a niche need.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Ryzen 3 1600 is getting the AF treatment, will be going for $60. I'm guessing it's not quite the good deal that the Ryzen 5 is?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

cage-free egghead posted:

Ryzen 3 1600 is getting the AF treatment, will be going for $60. I'm guessing it's not quite the good deal that the Ryzen 5 is?

If you mean the 1200, then yeah, 4 cores and no SMT isn't compelling for a modern processor. It doesn't have an iGPU either, so I'm not sure why you'd buy it today.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The 1200 AF wouldn't be anywhere near as good as the 1600 AF since it's only four threads and AMD SMT has a much bigger improvement per core than Intel HT.

These SKUs really should be showing up in bigger numbers in lower-revenue markets, though, and it seems like they aren't.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Gimme a Zen2 Athlon 4000G

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sauer kraut posted:

16 cores do nothing for gaming, the only upgrade would be innate improvements that the 3000 series brings.
You can get those with a 3700 but if it's worth it I dunno, your 2700 won't sell for much as is customary with AMD stuff.
Maybe you can pick one up closer to the 4000 launch, when existing stock get price cuts.
Overclocking is dead on Zen. In fact you should check everything with a fine comb to ensure that your setup runs AMD reference voltages, and not whatever the mainboard vendor thought was a bright idea.

Honestly there are so many settings in the Asus bios and I have no clue what's stock or asus modified. Plus there are 50 shades of "gamer" overclock settings. I'd need a detailed guide to follow thats asus specific. My dumb oilfield brain can't cope anymore.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

4/8 Zen 2 CPUs launching next month. $99 MSRP for the r3 3100, $120 for the r3 3300X. You probably shouldn’t buy these parts honestly.

B550 announced too, but no availability for 2 months lol. Dumb.

https://videocardz.com/press-release/amd-announces-ryzen-3-3300x-3100-and-b550-chipset

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
What’s an acceptable operating temp for a 3600? When I play CODMW it’s gets up like 60 to 70C with the stock cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Thats fine. Like 90-95C is the throttle point.