Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Mr Interweb posted:

holeeeeeeeeey poo poo. look at those numbers! 6 to 1???! and this was a group that thought that trump was, until recently, doing a great job. now they disapprove of him almost as much as millenials! :monocle:

better late than never, i guess. seems it finally occurred to them that they're the prime demographic for the rona.

Well I mean Trump and his ilk are saying openly "We're willing to let you die so the rest of us can get hair cuts and go eat Fuddrucker's." I can't expect that to be a message that seniors, the non-insane ones, will agree with because it's callous as all hell for all involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1252640875282391040?s=20

Get back to loving work!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

Sanders conceded, you're chance to "fight" against it legitimately was at the ballot box. If the primary hasn't been held yet in your state, that is your opportunity to make your displeasure known.

Any effort to take away the nomination now would be just as illegitimate and undemocratic as the notion of taking the nomination away from Bernie if he came to the convention with a mere plurality of delegates instead of a 50%+1 majority.

As much as you have legitimate grievances against Biden being the nominee, and as much as you strongly and legitimately believe him to be the weaker candidate there is no option at which point in which removing him would be legitimate and would be just as much as a disaster for electoral chance as taking it from Bernie would've been.

And in either case Bernie conceded and presumably there is no process in which he would Shermanesquely accept being the nominee save one and its the one in which perhaps Biden kicks it before November.

And it is just as likely that Trump shoots his own goddamned dick off. This is a double edged sword logically speaking, logically, if Trump hasn't done anything to improve his chances yet, you can't rule out he may continue to do things that harm his chances. Until the general is actually underway in a significant and substantial fashion there is no basis from which to claim Biden has the higher likelihood of losing based purely on current conditions; if you're trying to factor in Trump's actions to suggest he could turn that around and seize the initiative you must also consider the myriad ways in which Trump decided to step on rake after rake like Sideshow Bob.

"You can't do anything about this primary that was rigged against you because it's already settled and if you try to do anything about the rigging then, why, that'll be just as undemocratic of you as it was of us to rig it in the first place. Might as well just accept it, plebs"

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Herstory Begins Now posted:

This is on my list of 'weird poo poo herstory posts about periodically' but children to the ultra wealthy are more a status symbol/object you brag about than something they really give a gently caress about. I used to know a ton of kids from the wealthiest families in nyc and a significant amount of them don't even learn english as their first language their parents are around them so little. Most of them are entirely raised by nannies and tutors to the extent that many are only around their parents a few hours a week. Some less. From there, where their kids go to school, their extra-curriculars etc. are all more ostentatious than anything else. IIRC there are literally highly competitive preschools that help get them into the highly competitive elementary schools etc. etc.

Maybe not to that extent, but It's not just the rich. Hell parents don't have to get too high into middle class before getting rid of the kids becomes financial priority one. Even outside of paid services, how many families press gang grandma into taking the kids four days a week?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

friendbot2000 posted:

Then it's up to you to start putting in the work to get people elected who will make sure this reality will not happen. Stop looking forward and start looking at what you can do right now to get in the trenches with the rest of your comrades who are working tirelessly to bring about a better future by staying right here in the now.

It was partially in jest since unlike Bush I don't think Trump will disappear from public until he dies so I don't think that will actually happen. I'm just still so amazed that loving off for close to a decade and then sharing candy at a funeral was able to redeem Bush in the eyes of, well, anyone at all haha.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Barr should be thrown into the nearest pit. Holy gently caress I might hate him more than Donny

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Srice posted:

Looking forward to 2032 when centrist dems will start saying that Trump wasn't all that bad.

Ellen will probably have him on her show touting his ‘abstract clock art’ and feeding him applesauce.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

LeeMajors posted:

Ellen will probably have him on her show touting his ‘abstract clock art’ and feeding him applesauce.

Gah gently caress the idea of him living into his mid-80s. gently caress outta here with that poo poo....

(not a slam on you at all, btw...that thought just gives me the willies)

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

friendbot2000 posted:

We may take body blows friend, but we ain't gonna lose this fight. Keep your head down and stay in those trenches. Keep up the good work comrade.

Hell yeah. I spent many years living in Northern Virginia and the amount of changes going on in that state have given me huge hope. The Virginia Model of taking over from the ground up and being unafraid to work with and push centrist Dems to get policy passed seems to be the way forward for the next few years.

Bernie's failure was a huge disappointment, but states across the country are ripe for this type of local grassroots change.

e: and You, dear goon thread reader whoever you are, should get involved with local politics if you aren't already.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

Facebook mommy groups are loving imploding at the moment. Turns out the idle parents who relied on school and a nanny to foist their kids on all day and afternoon much prefer being a performative parent than an actual parent.

Pick posted:

Self-centered people hate their kids and foist then off on better people regardless of whether they work.

This is on my list of 'weird poo poo herstory posts about periodically' but children to the ultra wealthy are more a status symbol/object you brag about than something they really give a gently caress about.

This is some absolutely hosed up and hateful poo poo to generalize about people

You don't know people's situations or families, I'm a divorced dad with who's struggling to try to finish grad-school while being a single father to a toddler half the days of the week. Daycare going away has been absolutely brutal on me and that's with my girlfriend being a loving saint and having the other half of the days to catch up. You have no idea how much it tears me up having to sit him in front of a TV all day because I've got 3 group projects due or the constant struggle of trying to find some sort of balance between trying to start a brand new career hoping to afford to provide a decent life and being a good dad who's present all the time. It loving sucks.

You can call people bad parents all you want, saying they hate their kids, or they're only performative parents for the status is awful poo poo to say unless you have intimate knowledge of an individual's situation.

Don't do this.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Jarmak posted:

This is some absolutely hosed up and hateful poo poo to generalize about people

You don't know people's situations or families, I'm a divorced dad with who's struggling to try to finish grad-school while being a single father to a toddler half the days of the week. Daycare going away has been absolutely brutal on me and that's with my girlfriend being a loving saint and having the other half of the days to catch up. You have no idea how much it tears me up having to sit him in front of a TV all day because I've got 3 group projects due or the constant struggle of trying to find some sort of balance between trying to start a brand new career hoping to afford to provide a decent life and being a good dad who's present all the time. It loving sucks.

You can call people bad parents all you want, saying they hate their kids, or they're only performative parents for the status is awful poo poo to say unless you have intimate knowledge of an individual's situation.

Don't do this.

I'm speaking from direct experience of having seen it over and over. Yes there are rich people who give a poo poo about their kids, no that is not at all common among the ultra-wealthy. At all. And I very definitely had 'intimate knowledge' of their situations.

Also I'm pretty sure you misread the gently caress out of that post if you think I'm talking about you unless you happen to be some 9 figure net worth person

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 21, 2020

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

Maybe not to that extent, but It's not just the rich. Hell parents don't have to get too high into middle class before getting rid of the kids becomes financial priority one. Even outside of paid services, how many families press gang grandma into taking the kids four days a week?

What the gently caress man? People need childcare because they need to work. I was practically raised by my grandmother during the week as a kid because it took two incomes and SNAP just to keep food on the table. Before that my parents worked different shifts (1st and 2nd) so one of them was always home but that got to be so stressful on their marriage it almost broke before my nana started helping.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Jarmak posted:

What the gently caress man? People need childcare because they need to work. I was practically raised by my grandmother during the week as a kid because it took two incomes and SNAP just to keep food on the table. Before that my parents worked different shifts (1st and 2nd) so one of them was always home but that got to be so stressful on their marriage it almost broke before my nana started helping.

Again man, you are completely, totally missing who is being talked about here. It's people who are so wealthy their great grand kids will never have to work, not parents struggling to do the best that they can for their kids.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

HonorableTB posted:

"You can't do anything about this primary that was rigged against you because it's already settled and if you try to do anything about the rigging then, why, that'll be just as undemocratic of you as it was of us to rig it in the first place. Might as well just accept it, plebs"

The primaries weren't rigged no matter how much you keep telling yourself this, hope this helps.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Mr Interweb posted:

holeeeeeeeeey poo poo. look at those numbers! 6 to 1???! and this was a group that thought that trump was, until recently, doing a great job. now they disapprove of him almost as much as millenials! :monocle:

better late than never, i guess. seems it finally occurred to them that they're the prime demographic for the rona.

"You've claimed all this time that you would die for me
Why then are you so surprised when you hear your own
Eulogy?"

Kale
May 14, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I’m playing the Final Fantasy VII Remake now and I swear to god they remodeled President Shinra to look like Fred Trump.

The entire game just feels so on the nose for things that are happening right now and like Midgar has been re-imagined to specifically be like an allegory to modern capitalism driven America and it's mentalities even more so than the original game. Video Game plotty stuffs hidden below

The private sector having effectively taken over the public one and running the government with a combination of stumbling bumbling failing upward executives like Heidegger and Scarlet and all their unwarranted confidence and the latter's habit of literally stomping all over and mistreating the media for not asking softball questions. While Scarlet would no doubt be Trumps dream White House Press Secretary, Heidegger just seems to be straight up parodying the guy at one point with talking about how Daddy Shinra doesn't appreciate or give him nearly enough credit and claiming that the company would be nothing without him.

Then there's the whole explicit use of propaganda on their state news network you see occasionally along with several incidental NPC conversations hinting at a wide spread Astro-turfed denouncement of AVALANCHE, constant fear mongering about "the other" in Wutai who is always just around the corner waiting to do Midgar harm and a false narrative about them being behind AVALANCHE.....BUT DON'T WORRY SHINRA AND SOLDIER IS HERE TO PROTECT YOU FOREVER AND ALWAYS! There's even the incidental CHUD like citizens you talk to that can't contemplate giving up even their meager way of life in modest sort of comfort (yet still clearly poverty) to ensure the longevity of the planet and ecosystem as the reactors start going down and so still unabashedly support Shinra's side of the narrative.

The part that's most on the nose for me is some of the people most oppressed and poo poo on by the whole system in Midgar being some of the most staunch and advocate supporters of keeping it propped up and just turning around and making GBS threads on AVALANCHE whose counter narrative is consistently buried by the news and people turning a blind to it. Almost none of the NPC's you hear in the slums talking about current events seem to question any of the inconsistencies and oddities with the narrative Shinra is peddling, it's just a convenient one that sounds good enough and allows them to continue on with their daily lives like nothing is wrong and everything is totally normal and great with their terrible living conditions and oppressive corporate government

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I'm speaking from direct experience of having seen it over and over. Yes there are rich people who give a poo poo about their kids, no that is not at all common among the ultra-wealthy. At all. And I very definitely had 'intimate knowledge' of their situations.

Also I'm pretty sure you misread the gently caress out of that post if you think I'm talking about you unless you happen to be some 9 figure net worth person

Again man, you are completely missing who is being talked about here.

My ex-wife's parents easily have 9-figure net worth and for whatever disagreements we might have had they 100% loved all their kids and would do anything for them.

I'm not saying you don't know people otherwise or that they don't exist. I'm not even saying speaking directly to the cases you have intimate knowledge is wrong.

I'm saying that is a hosed up thing to generalize about. Don't generalize that entire classes of people hate their children, just don't.

edit: miscounted my zeroes, I would say they easily have 8-figure

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Jesus Christ.
Lead the way, dude.

Mr Interweb posted:

Eh, I'm thinking it's a blip. Soon as things level out some they'll be back praising Trump for being the glorious leader we needed

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

I have been largely absent from this forum lately because I have been burying bodies. Bodies of my heroes. Right now I am up to 5 and I expect that it will grow more and more. I bring this up because I need people to understand that hoping CHUDs all die from the virus ignores the fact that our side dies too. This virus doesn't loving care who you vote for, what sports teams you root for, or what ice cream flavor is your favorite. I am so tired of burying bodies of the Old Guard and a part of me is afraid that there aren't enough of people like me to take their place. I am making this post to honor the activists we lost this past month and a half:

A good friend of mine was 70 years old and a first-generation Somalian immigrant. She contracted COVID and passed on. This woman was instrumental in turning Virginia blue. She would pull up her lovely minivan to our makeshift HQ in whoever's house we camped out in that day and would bring us a goddamn feast of tasty food she made herself. Then she would take her lovely van and proclaim that "She was going to fit so many votes in here and we are going to vote out the fascists". I deliberately misspelled "fascist" because her accent would always muddle the words and it was hilarious to all of us. She was our Team's Gramma. She translated for Somalian, Ethiopian, and Ghana immigrants n our area on how to register to vote, how to get to the polls, and helped them get citizenship. She sheltered undocumented immigrants inside of her house and prevented ICE from gaining entry. This tiny old woman was staring down 3 storm troopers and didn't bat a loving eye. She had seen worse in Somalia. This was nothing to her. She told them that they didn't scare her. She watched her brothers be butchered in front of her and they were nothing compared to the nightmares she endured in her home country. She is dead now and I don't think there is anyone that can fill her shoes.

Another friend passed. A retired nun for a catholic church in the city. She and her sisters sheltered undocumented immigrants inside of their church while ICE was doing their raids. they linked arms and told them that "The Lord believes in sanctuary and they shall not cross into his kingdom." She provided support for protesters who needed water, medical care, and a safe place to wash tear gas out of their eyes. She was a goddamn saint. I only knew her for a little while, but she was a good person and a fighter. She told me that despair is a victory for your oppressors and that stuck with me. If we despair, they win. If we gnash our teeth and give up over a loss, they win. She passed as well.

A friend that had buried both his children and his wife to brain cancer canvassed with a fury and passion that I have never seen in another human being. He could barely walk yet he outpaced the youngest among us. His efforts were instrumental in ousting the school board member that believed we should teach "both sides" of the Holocaust. He believed EVERY race counted. Every election mattered down to the local neighborhood HOA. He suffered immeasurable loss and he still gave everything he had to the fight. He was a goddamn hero. He passed last week.

And lastly, I come to the most tragic losses.

One was a trans woman who lobbied Virginia super hard for all the LGBTQ civil rights bills that were signed into law a few weeks ago. She never got to see those bills be signed. She took her own life because she lost her job and well....the bills still kept coming in. That 1200 didn't even cover her rent and the debts she had racked up over student loans and medical care...she decided she would end it. This one kills me the most because I spoke with her the day before and I am loving trained to spot the signs and I didn't loving see them. I lost a friend and I blame myself to an extent. The lovely thing is that her loving family used her dead name and dead picture for her loving obit and it eats me alive.

Another was a newcomer but was swiftly becoming a fixture in erasing Jim Crow NIMBY policies and fighting for fair and affordable housing. He fought with racist suburban whites who couched their racism in "protecting our neighborhood's identity" or "Making sure our school district serves the interests and values of our community". The man was a firebrand of passion. Smart on housing policy and had councils shaking when he stood up to the mic to speak. He lost his job and was evicted from his apartment. Then feeling the despair like so many in this time, took his own life. I didn't know him as well, but I felt his loss all the same.

I bring up these people because they are dying just as much as the CHUDs. And they are priceless. Their loss can't be measured. And They cannot be replaced. I write this long post because I am afraid that are ranks just won't fill back up with volunteers willing to do the work. Young people like me are in the minority on this level of activism. It is usually the older generation that is carrying this burden and they are all dying with few to take up that torch. So in the same vein I want all the goons here to think about what they can do to make this stupid rock we live on a better place. We are all alone hurtling through space. All we have is each other. Do the work. Get involved. Be a part of something and make this world into the lefty ideals you post about.

No paper is going to pick up the stories of my friends. Their stories are carried with the people in the trenches and that needs to be all of us. All of us need to get in there and do the work. Make my friend's sacrifices mean something.

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 21, 2020

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1252582718044606470

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I said self-centered people hate their kids, not that using daycare makes you a bad parent or self-centered. Weird read dude.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Pick posted:

I said self-centered people hate their kids, not that using daycare makes you a bad parent or self-centered. Weird read dude.

That's fair, read alongside the other posts I missed that you used self-centered as a qualifier rather than an additional pejorative added for color.

Sorry for lumping you in

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Jarmak posted:

My ex-wife's parents easily have 9-figure net worth and for whatever disagreements we might have had they 100% loved all their kids and would do anything for them.

I'm not saying you don't know people otherwise or that they don't exist. I'm not even saying speaking directly to the cases you have intimate knowledge is wrong.

I'm saying that is a hosed up thing to generalize about. Don't generalize that entire classes of people hate their children, just don't.

edit: miscounted my zeroes, I would say they easily have 8-figure

Tell those generous caring rich people to donate 1mil to your good friend km who (much like most of Michigan) still hasn't had her pua application processed and is unable to certify even though they said we would begin Monday

Like holy poo poo people are sick and dying. People are food in secure. People are hanging by a thread waiting for lowly staffed, overworked and overwhelmed government agencies to give them them a lifeline.

If "what about my au pair?" Is your biggest issue you'll be loving fine (general you btw not you specifically)

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Surely this must have some negative for Trump? I mean if any one of us was out soliciting a dangerous drug we'd see the inside of a jail cell within days

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

SocketWrench posted:

Surely this must have some negative for Trump? I mean if any one of us was out soliciting a dangerous drug we'd see the inside of a jail cell within days

Trump? LMAO no. But maybe someone can sue Hannity or something for promoting it.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

friendbot2000 posted:

One was a trans woman who lobbied Virginia super hard for all the LGBTQ civil rights bills that were signed into law a few weeks ago. She never got to see those bills be signed. She took her own life because she lost her job and well....the bills still kept coming in. That 1200 didn't even cover her rent and well...with the debts she had racked up over student loans and medical care...she decided she would end it. This one kills me the most because I spoke with her the day before and I am loving trained to spot the signs and I didn't loving see them. I lost a friend and I blame myself to an extent. The lovely thing is that her loving family used her dead name and dead picture for her loving obit and it eats me alive.

Another was a newcomer but was swiftly becoming a fixture in erasing Jim Crow NIMBY policies and fighting for fair and affordable housing. He fought with racist suburban whites who couched their racism in "protecting our neighborhood's identity" or "Making sure our school district serves the interests and values of our community". The man was a firebrand of passion. Smart on housing policy and had councils shaking when he stood up to the mic to speak. He lost his job and was evicted from his apartment. Then feeling the despair like so many in this time, took his own life. I didn't know him as well, but I felt his loss all the same.

I'm so sorry for your losses FB, truly that's more than anyone's single share ought to be. We mourn them all with you here, but I wanted to highlight these personally because I've dealt with suicide more than a few times, but most notably and acutely was my stepbrother, but also a friend of mine from FL a couple years later who I'd just spoke with after Irma hit. I can tell you this thing I learned: you'll always blame yourself and play the "what if" game. Sadly that comes with the territory and I wish I could tell you anything I say or anyone else says about how normal it is to feel those feelings will help you not feel them as painfully but I'd be lying, and I won't condescend to you or your feelings right now by doing that, OK? It sucks. It will always be a sort of pit in your stomach sometimes too. Going through what we all went through with my stepbrother was a walk through Hell. I can't spare you that either because you have to feel that pain to get to the other side of it. It's like this quarantine, all we can do is wait it out. Just know that I'm very sorry you joined "The Club" with the rest of us survivors of suicide loss, and I feel your pain there. Just try to be kind to yourself, especially in these times, and not lock into the blame cycle TOO hardcore. Reach out and get help, which right now as it happens seems to be freely available in more places than usual. Hit me up on PMs if you just need to talk, vent, share, commisserate, whatever. I been there. I know it hurts. I'm sorry

I'm not even going to proofread this, that's how much I care. Stream of consciousness, no filter. I'm sorry so many gold folks left you, and the world, behind. Despite my frequent cynicism at these times, I do see the impact of each life on our world and these losses cut deep, to be sure.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
friendbot :(

friendbot2000 posted:

No paper is going to pick up the stories of my friends.

You know what, contact some of em! Even if it's just a local or two. You just made a pretty compelling case for why people should notice and care.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Which brings me to my next point: this poo poo is stressful. I know that's obvious. But we gotta go easy on each other and Try to have empathy and not jump down each other's throats. Empathy is emotional labor, and it's not always easy, trust me. I know. It sucks. But I think the forums are a community and we have to take care of each other as much as we can. Everyone is having a rough time.

And for the love of goodness, take care of yourself too. I know a lot of people roll their eyes at self care but it's important.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Pick posted:

As someone who is in a similar boat to Jarmak (when the quarantine stuff came down I was 3 weeks out from my defense with an unfinished thesis, a wife who works full time and is the primary breadwinner, and a very active 18 month old toddler whose daycare closed a week before the official state shutdown order just to be safe) I can understand his response, even if it might seem a little aggro. This is a tough time for everybody but for parents who relied on daycare or caretakers so that they could work to put food on the table it is absolutely grueling. You're stuck choosing between doing right by your kid or doing what it takes to survive (or splitting the difference) and feeling guilty no matter what you choose. For us I basically took over childcare duties full time during the day, chasing a toddler around from 7 am to 5 pm essentially, and then worked on school stuff from 8 pm - 2 am every night until my defense. It sucked so bad I wanted to drop out or take a leave of absence rather than trying to balance it all, but luckily I made it.

And our situation is lucky, because we can both work from home without taking too hard of a hit on our finances (for now).

Let's just all try to be a bit more patient and empathetic with each other, it's some rough loving times out here.

Case in point:

https://twitter.com/EmilyBobrow/status/1252579293517033472

posted:

Almost a quarter of all children in the United States live with a single parent, a higher share than anywhere else in the world. In New York, the American city that has been hardest hit by the pandemic, more than four hundred and twenty-five thousand children live with single parents, most of them single mothers. The covid-19 crisis and its economic fallout are hurting all parents, but there is good reason to believe that the burdens are falling disproportionately on single mothers, many of whom were already struggling. (Census Bureau data from 2018 show that, among black and Latinx single mothers in the city, the child poverty rate was forty-six per cent and fifty-six per cent, respectively.)

This time around, though, many of the industries that employ large numbers of women, such as child care, housekeeping, hospitality, retail, travel, and the service sector, are imploding. Many of the jobs dominated by men—truck driving, warehouse work, and the upper ranks of management in most industries—are still mostly intact. Statistics from several states show that a majority of unemployment claims are coming from women; in New York State, more than half of new claims filed in the last two weeks of March were from women, compared with a historical average of thirty-seven per cent. What’s more, those numbers don’t take freelancers and the gig economy into account—more than a month into lockdown, the process for applying for benefits as a 1099 worker is still inchoate. (Freelancers use the 1099 federal tax form to report income.) “The low-wage jobs that kept women working are going away, and they rarely have protection like severance pay or unemployment insurance,” Adshade said. “I don’t know how many single mothers realistically have jobs they can do at home.”

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 21, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Scott Forstall posted:

i need a reporter to ask if he's going to lead by example. If he's fine with sacrificing other people's family members for the economy, he should name a family member who he's fine sacrificing too

Seriously. I'm sick of all these assholes who say "sacrifices will need to be made" or that they're willing to take the risk when you loving know they're still going to be able to work remotely / have things delivered & generally keep themselves safe. (Or short of that, they have the money & resources to best weather the virus.)

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You know what, contact some of em! Even if it's just a local or two. You just made a pretty compelling case for why people should notice and care.

+1 to this idea. Your friends' stories need to be told, especially the ones who took their own lives behind this. Suicide stigma, I fear, will erase those deaths since they didn't die of the Rona specifically, and that would be a great disservice to the rest of the world too. The desperation we put people in by refusing to meet their basic needs when crises like these happen is indefensible and needs to be highlighted too, imo.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Dumbshit hasn't mentioned Hydroxycholorquine at his last several pressers, has he?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
So my office is apparently looking to adjust things back to normal by next week and I don't know how to feel about that.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Gaunab posted:

So my office is apparently looking to adjust things back to normal by next week and I don't know how to feel about that.

Probably bad.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Dumbshit hasn't mentioned Hydroxycholorquine at his last several pressers, has he?

The narrative of “this actually kills you harder and faster than the virus does” has taken hold in public consciousness, so Diddums has quietly abandoned hocking it. That, or Kellyanne jingled some keys in front of his face and it’s tumbled out of his goobrain entirely.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gaunab posted:

Feverish, short of breath, urge to cough

Kale
May 14, 2010

It's easy to maintain this sort of narrative and perspective when your just kind of constantly reinventing reality around it. It's like those Gamergater types that show up for every major upcoming video game insisting that "SJWs" are going to come out of the woodwork to censor and gently caress up a game as an excuse to just flood the zone with poo poo and whine about stuff to shift the narrative on it into a mostly political one. Any moment now those "SJWs" will be here to try to ruin our favorite entertainment for us......just about any moment now....meanwhile I'll just keep bleating off this "counter-narrative" when there's literally no currently established one out there because I literally just made a straw man one up for convenience sake in order to shitpost effectively.

This is one of the most annoying things about the current social media dynamic and world view of honestly far too many people nowadays. What is essentially pre-bitching about and making up what I call a "pitched battle" situation as a pretext for saying some of the stupidest mind blowing divisive bullshit I've ever heard in my life and effectively arguing against a supposed powerful and influential bloc of people that don't even really exist the way the narratives insist they do. Like it's just so loving easy to build a media and reality bubble and create unnecessary polarization and extremist viewpoints if you just get to constantly do that without being challenged anywhere near enough to prove the existence of a supposedly ultra PC anti-free speech narrative and agenda that both actually exists in popular media and is in desperate need of countering.

I think the problem therein is you rarely see a direct clash of actual existing and widespread believed in narratives wherein ultimately most people are forced to compare and contrast the stated arguments and "facts" and decide for good which ones are real and which ones are bullshit and to discard the latter for good which is usually how it's supposed to go. It's usually just a whole lot of posturing and sticking to media and demographic bubbles while occasionally sniping and a whole lot of making up what a supposed opposition is even saying such that it just perpetually goes on and on with no end in sight as the bullshit just keeps piling up on top of itself.

This is why I feel like while getting rid of Trump and his cabinet in November would improve the efficiency of the US Federal Government, a lot of the bullshit and narrativism you see surrounding politics globally that allows people like him to keep getting elected is here to stay and nothing is getting sorted out until there's a real direct sort of world wide dialogue on what should be a commonly held set of facts once and for all.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Please don’t make me read tweets by The Persistence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

We are in talks with a couple but local news outlets have been so severely weakened by mass media that it's doubtful they will run something, but we are trying our best! We are actually talking with the Catholic Church on putting forth my Nun friend for canonization as well as my Somalian friend. They were both devout Catholics and I think that my Somalian friend would have found a dark irony in being canonized haha. Though I think the nun may have a bit more trouble because she helped young women find family planning services and if need be abortions so she might not make the cut. Nun's are pretty wild and do a lot of the community that never really gets recognized.

VH4Ever posted:

I'm so sorry for your losses FB, truly that's more than anyone's single share ought to be. We mourn them all with you here, but I wanted to highlight these personally because I've dealt with suicide more than a few times, but most notably and acutely was my stepbrother, but also a friend of mine from FL a couple years later who I'd just spoke with after Irma hit. I can tell you this thing I learned: you'll always blame yourself and play the "what if" game. Sadly that comes with the territory and I wish I could tell you anything I say or anyone else says about how normal it is to feel those feelings will help you not feel them as painfully but I'd be lying, and I won't condescend to you or your feelings right now by doing that, OK? It sucks. It will always be a sort of pit in your stomach sometimes too. Going through what we all went through with my stepbrother was a walk through Hell. I can't spare you that either because you have to feel that pain to get to the other side of it. It's like this quarantine, all we can do is wait it out. Just know that I'm very sorry you joined "The Club" with the rest of us survivors of suicide loss, and I feel your pain there. Just try to be kind to yourself, especially in these times, and not lock into the blame cycle TOO hardcore. Reach out and get help, which right now as it happens seems to be freely available in more places than usual. Hit me up on PMs if you just need to talk, vent, share, commisserate, whatever. I been there. I know it hurts. I'm sorry

I'm not even going to proofread this, that's how much I care. Stream of consciousness, no filter. I'm sorry so many gold folks left you, and the world, behind. Despite my frequent cynicism at these times, I do see the impact of each life on our world and these losses cut deep, to be sure.

I have been part of the Club since I was 12, my eldest cousin was bipolar and had an episode in which he believed his family was better off with him dead...he was wrong. We still feel his loss. I am no stranger to suicide and it's why I took classes in intervention and spotting the signs. I didn't want anyone to feel the pain my family felt having to bury my cousin. I try to keep my mind off the pain with volunteering and GMing a Starfinder Campaign that we are making into a podcast because we are dumb nerds. Wifebot is keen to make sure I practice self-care. I won't despair though. My friends would be disappointed in me if I did.

They really were heroes. Mr. Rogers was right "We should always look for the helpers."