Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That’s weird because Alyx is a 19 year old girl, who even in HL2 was not portrayed as being extremely tall, just average height at best. You’d think they would have tailored the game world to that, so even if you are 6 foot 8, the combine still seem huge and imposing.

At 6’3” I was taller than the combine which was weird.

In the video they talk about how people have a particular view of the world because of their height and they could find it offputting or unusual if their height was not correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I guess it might be weird if stuff like coffee cups were gigantic because you're Alyx rather than a 7 foot giant

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tall people having to duck under pipes in a video game is their penance for challenging God.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, playing in games where I am a significantly different height is offputting. Alyx did a good job of things like push button duck/stand which was also really useful since I am 6'3" but play in a basement with a ceiling that is about 6'5", so to do anything over my head I need to IRL crouch and use the button to "stand" in game.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
There was a 'bug' in HL Alyx where a dude kept dying for no reason and it turned out he was so freakishly tall the game kept applying fall damage to him :laugh:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

There was a 'bug' in HL Alyx where a dude kept dying for no reason and it turned out he was so freakishly tall the game kept applying fall damage to him :laugh:

Amazing :allears:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I think he was also the one who asked why the combine were so small

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

peter gabriel posted:

I guess Alyx fell for him.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ok, apps worth of checking out in Viveport with Infinity:

Nature/Space doc apps
Everest VR
Earthlight: Spacewalk
We are Stars
Overview
theBlue
Apollo 11

Art apps
Mona Lisa Beyond the Glass
Galactic Gallery
Rone
Museum of other Realities
The Kremer collection

Shorts
Aripi
Lucid
Gloomy Eyes
Bonfire

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 21, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Enos Cabell posted:

Does Alyx scale at all based on player height? I'm 6'3" and found myself having to duck under pipes pretty often, would really suck for someone like 6'8" though.

I'd think people who are 6' 8" would be perfectly used to ducking otherwise they'd just bash through every door frame.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

At 6'3" I just take a knee every time I enter a firefight, tired of my giant bulbous head sticking out of all the cover.

Edit: Make sure your floor height is set correctly so that touching the ground is really touching the ground. Mine was off by an inch or two and fixing it changed the game from "duck for every doorway" to "crouching sections are somewhat annoying"

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 21, 2020

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Whattup thread I have a brand new Quest updating next to me.

The box is extremely nice.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

I'd think people who are 6' 8" would be perfectly used to ducking otherwise they'd just bash through every door frame.

Insert comic strip of Zits where his friend had a growth spurt and kept hitting his head

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Turin Turambar posted:

Nature/Space doc apps
Everest VR
We are Stars
Overview
theBlue
Apollo 11

Art apps
Galactic Gallery
Rone
The Kremer collection

Shorts
Aripi
Lucid
Gloomy Eyes
Bonfire

Interesting list, put some on my Steam wishlist and scooped up the freebies... not sure if it's on Viveport but Art Plunge is another cool art experience thing

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

RPS has another an interesting take on the Vive Cosmos
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/04/21/htc-vive-cosmos-review/

quote:

At first, it was all to do with delivering a superior experience to Oculus’ respective headsets thanks to HTC’s superior tracking technology, room-scale VR and higher resolution display, but the onward march of technology has meant that upgrading a Vive headset has become increasingly more costly with every new iteration.

The HTC Vive Cosmos attempts to rectify that problem with its modular faceplate design. Instead of having to chuck out the entire headset when a new one comes along, all you need to do with the Vive Cosmos is buy a new tracking faceplate and snap it onto the front.

Uhh... the modular faceplate gives a different tracking system, but the main thing in a headset, the display/lens, are the same.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gort posted:

Yeah, I guess it might be weird if stuff like coffee cups were gigantic because you're Alyx rather than a 7 foot giant

Thrill of the Fight is interesting, when you "log in" they take your photo to calibrate your height. Then every character you fight is scaled to that height

I didn't realize this until I took over a game my wife was playing, and suddenly the opponent was a full head shorter than me

If you ever wanted to box a midget, lay your head down on the floor during the login phase. Suddenly you tower over this table-height mini human, and your arm reach is longer than they are tall

You might think it's like fighting a child but it's still an angry overweight guy in his 40s, just now he's less than three feet tall

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Turin Turambar posted:

Nature/Space doc apps
Everest VR
We are Stars
Overview
theBlue
Apollo 11

Art apps
Galactic Gallery
Rone
The Kremer collection

Shorts
Aripi
Lucid
Gloomy Eyes
Bonfire

TY for this. Their search function is absolute trash, reminds me of amazons, where you have to sort through thirty pages of literal garbage to find the 3 things that everyone wants to play. Could really use some curation.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

njsykora posted:

Yeah the box is a great carrying case if you add handles or toss it in a bag/backpack. It keeps the controllers from hitting the lens and scratching them, etc.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I have my Rift S box on a shelf behind me like some rear end in a top hat youtuber would

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Please click the bell for future updates

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Turin Turambar posted:

RPS has another an interesting take on the Vive Cosmos
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/04/21/htc-vive-cosmos-review/

Uhh... the modular faceplate gives a different tracking system, but the main thing in a headset, the display/lens, are the same.

People I know with the (OG) cosmos all say the same thing

"Great headset, Good optics n poo poo, Hecking tracking."

While the elite is a bit high priced for 1.0, like, I kinda want one. >_>

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Have anyone got the v16 firmware for Quest? I got the pc app updated, and the funny thing is how it warns me that I should update the Quest when I connect it... as if I had the choice.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Merijn posted:

it's theoretically possible to play Alyx VR on this, and Minecraft too? Sweet.

It's not theory.

I played the entire thing without a hiccup (Alyx).

I recommend Pistol Whip for your next game purchase with the Quest.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Just did a half hour on BoxVR and that was a hell of a workout for my recently sedentary rear end. I can easily see 30-60 minute daily workout to keep the old ticker in shape. The gamification aspect made it fly right by.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Gangringo posted:

At 6'3" I just take a knee every time I enter a firefight, tired of my giant bulbous head sticking out of all the cover.

Edit: Make sure your floor height is set correctly so that touching the ground is really touching the ground. Mine was off by an inch or two and fixing it changed the game from "duck for every doorway" to "crouching sections are somewhat annoying"

I'm confused. You can set the controls to allow for hybrid mode so you can click a button to crouch. Does that not work?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I'm confused. You can set the controls to allow for hybrid mode so you can click a button to crouch. Does that not work?

My immersion!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Gangringo posted:

My immersion!

oh lol if you're standing then yeah I can see the annoyance. I'm still surprised at how much easier it was to adjust my height with the Oculus software.

This is also another reason Boneworks owns, you can't even start the game without manually telling it how tall you are (or letting it guess).

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Thrill of the Fight is interesting, when you "log in" they take your photo to calibrate your height. Then every character you fight is scaled to that height

I didn't realize this until I took over a game my wife was playing, and suddenly the opponent was a full head shorter than me

If you ever wanted to box a midget, lay your head down on the floor during the login phase. Suddenly you tower over this table-height mini human, and your arm reach is longer than they are tall

You might think it's like fighting a child but it's still an angry overweight guy in his 40s, just now he's less than three feet tall

Haha. I'm gonna try this tonight.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

TraderStav posted:

Just did a half hour on BoxVR and that was a hell of a workout for my recently sedentary rear end. I can easily see 30-60 minute daily workout to keep the old ticker in shape. The gamification aspect made it fly right by.

New workouts the 23rd!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Turin Turambar posted:

Have anyone got the v16 firmware for Quest? I got the pc app updated, and the funny thing is how it warns me that I should update the Quest when I connect it... as if I had the choice.

Heard mine reboot today (well the USB unplugged and plugged back in noise in Windows) so I think I have it.

Yes, those prompts are loving annoying since you can't force an update.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I thought they changed it so you can opt into forcing updates if you have dev mode enabled?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Valve said in a video about Alyx locomotion that they didn’t do any scaling for height because in play testing they found people were the most comfortable at their natural height and that the world felt scaled correctly because desks, doors, ceilings were all where they expected them to be in real life.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What's the situation with Beat Saber on the Quest and the global scoreboard for custom maps? Friend of mine got a Quest, and when I tried to find out about BMBF, I ran in a blurb about Scoresaber not being supported since a long while. That true? PCVR and Quest users essentially playing for themselves nowadays?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Yeah any of the custom songs don't get high score tables.

It sucks but for me at least I'm never going to challenge any expert scores.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Valve said in a video about Alyx locomotion that they didn’t do any scaling for height because in play testing they found people were the most comfortable at their natural height and that the world felt scaled correctly because desks, doors, ceilings were all where they expected them to be in real life.

Yeah, it worked out great once I got the ground calibrated right, I just take a knee to sort of simulate the crouch walk that my creaky fat rear end can't do. Ducking under pipes and stuff in an industrial setting is second nature, it was just obnoxious hitting my head on every doorway, which has happened, particularly in older buildings, but doesn't happen often.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

njsykora posted:

Nice! I just got mine this week. Just played half an hour of Job Simulator, it's hilarious.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Hadlock posted:

Family Christmas Simulator

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I know the OP says the Quest speakers are weak but turns out they're very much loud enough to annoy my downstairs neighbours when playing Beat Saber at 2am.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

njsykora posted:

I know the OP says the Quest speakers are weak but turns out they're very much loud enough to annoy my downstairs neighbours when playing Beat Saber at 2am.

Seems more likely that you stomping around on their ceiling at 2 AM is annoying them, rather than those speakers.

I find them adequate, and like that I don't have anything on my ears, but I'm no audiophile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Gort posted:

Seems more likely that you stomping around on their ceiling at 2 AM is annoying them, rather than those speakers.

I find them adequate, and like that I don't have anything on my ears, but I'm no audiophile.

I was trying to think of a polite way to say this too.

When we were moving we tested how well noise the houses filtered out noise. Me stomping on the ceiling was usually much more audible in the room below than the speakers we brought to test.