Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

It really is insane that you can just walk up to the edge of the tracks in this modren era. if I were to design such a system today, I'd have a barrier that's away from the tracks. The train comes in and it stops in such a way that it blocks anyone from getting into the tunnel or on the tracks. Then the train doors open and then a separate set of doors open that let people get from the platform to the train.

safety would make it impossible, there's no money in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Remember when he put robot brains in a bunch of trains so that they would collect energy for him, resulting in poorly animated railway accidents?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k48T12Z88hY

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Cojawfee posted:

It really is insane that you can just walk up to the edge of the tracks in this modren era. if I were to design such a system today, I'd have a barrier that's away from the tracks. The train comes in and it stops in such a way that it blocks anyone from getting into the tunnel or on the tracks. Then the train doors open and then a separate set of doors open that let people get from the platform to the train.

That's how they made our modern metro, and now you mention it, it is in fact kind of a surprise that they haven't updated any of the regular train stations to be similar.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Cojawfee posted:

I've been in several airports with this sort of system - external doors seal off the tram and are then opened up when the train arrives. They even set it up such that the debarking doors open before the embarking doors (and debarking is done on one side, embarking on the other) to reduce traffic jams.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

there's a lot of stuff out in the world that i'm pretty sure wouldn't be considered safe for everyday use if it were invented today, and is only allowed because it's grandfathered in. like your example of how train platforms have less safety features than a roller coaster loading gate at an amusement park.

the other big ones I think of are motorcycles, which would absolutely never get approved for use on public roads if they were invented in 2020, and gasoline, which you would never be allowed to pump yourself from a handheld hose with no protective equipment.

e: probably alcoholic drinks would be a schedule 1 drug too

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

lmao this transformation is so pointless I love it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Shadow0pz/status/1252675822277865472?s=20

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah but how cool would it have been if it had worked?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Squalid posted:

lmao this transformation is so pointless I love it.
I love the super bad transformation sequences in the original cartoons.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

When this baby hits 188 miles an hour, you're going to see some serious poo poo!

Sagebrush posted:

there's a lot of stuff out in the world that i'm pretty sure wouldn't be considered safe for everyday use if it were invented today, and is only allowed because it's grandfathered in. like your example of how train platforms have less safety features than a roller coaster loading gate at an amusement park.

the other big ones I think of are motorcycles, which would absolutely never get approved for use on public roads if they were invented in 2020, and gasoline, which you would never be allowed to pump yourself from a handheld hose with no protective equipment.

Aspirin and caffeine too

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

I feel like there should be a WOW switch to keep that from happening

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

I want a robotrain

They're a pain, and that's the truth.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

American pilot so stupid need special computer brain in airplane to stop from raise wheels on ground. Why you need this? You don't do, you don't have problem. In Russia just put lock on switch to remind you don't do. Cost one ruble.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

https://twitter.com/andresquijada26/status/1252585488520708096

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shPATcV9Dzw

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

PurpleXVI posted:

That's how they made our modern metro, and now you mention it, it is in fact kind of a surprise that they haven't updated any of the regular train stations to be similar.

They have it like that in Saint Petersburg, and I'm pretty sure that the system was set during the Soviet era. But then the commies were also the first to space...

I can see some reasons to why you wouldn't want that system, though. For one it requires more precision at stoppage, which slows the system a little bit and requires a bit more engineering to get right. Then it adds to the likelihood of a door or sensor jamming or misworking. And you couldn't have variable length trains without some programming, which adds another level that can fail.

All in all it should be easy to solve for us humans, but unfortunately we have delegated these things to engineers... just look at the new Berlin Brandenburg airport.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Nenonen posted:

All in all it should be easy to solve for us humans, but unfortunately we have delegated these things to engineers... just look at the new Berlin Brandenburg airport.

Listen buddy, if you can't get your dumb rear end up two or three steps after the escalator, maybe you should have just taken the elevator that also stops 3 feet before the second floor.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Cojawfee posted:

They have those at the busier stations in japan. Probably cause there are so many people who want to get on the train at rush hour that they'd otherwise spill out onto the tracks.

Also have em in most London underground stations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Refitting stations with barriers and automatic doors is exactly the sort of large-scale maintenance project that most american transit operators never have the money for :911:

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Oh one other reason why it would be difficult - there are roughly a dozen different types of trains here, and the door placement is not standardized.

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020

ded posted:

that is not actually true. please keep your nonsense conspiracy crap out of zoomie talk tia

It sounded like something a coner would post tbh

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Oh cool, this thing is still around? I remember seeing that in a kids' book 40+ years ago.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

There is, and that is allegedly the problem.

Turns out, they had an informal practice of flipping the landing gear handle up before taking off, so as soon as the weight-on-wheels solenoid tripped, the gear would fold up. Seems like this aircraft however got a bounce or jolt that prematurely tripped it.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

There is, but it looks like the pilot was just at the point of the roll where there was just the right amount of lift to take enough weight off the wheels to disable the switch, but the gear was still supporting the plane.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

molestrios posted:

It sounded like something a coner would post tbh

even coners know better than that nonsense he posted

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Sagebrush posted:

I'm not even sure cars would be ok for use by the general public. Certainly the licence requirements would involve regular recertification, like fork lift operation or a pilot's licence

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

They have it like that in Saint Petersburg, and I'm pretty sure that the system was set during the Soviet era. But then the commies were also the first to space...

I can see some reasons to why you wouldn't want that system, though. For one it requires more precision at stoppage, which slows the system a little bit and requires a bit more engineering to get right. Then it adds to the likelihood of a door or sensor jamming or misworking. And you couldn't have variable length trains without some programming, which adds another level that can fail.

Is that all original? All other commie metros like in Moscow, Kiev or even Prague don't have any barriers and people rarely manage to kill themselves (accidentally). Which are of course fairly common in more modern systems, I think Taipei, HK and Shanghai all have them. But's not practical when most of your rolling stock is 50 years old at best.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Xakura posted:

Turns out, they had an informal practice of flipping the landing gear handle up before taking off, so as soon as the weight-on-wheels solenoid tripped, the gear would fold up. Seems like this aircraft however got a bounce or jolt that prematurely tripped it.

To do: add logic so the wheels only raise if the switch is flipped while the weight is off the wheels.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Xakura posted:

The problem with idiot-proofing is there's always a bigger idiot.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Tumble posted:

Uhg I woke up with nightmares today so I figured I'd share with ya'll. I saw somebody get hit by a subway train yesterday in Philly, it was horrible. He was high as hell on something, probably K2. I looked over at him like "This dude is a danger to himself..." and then less than a minute later somebody shouted, and I look back over and the loving dude was trying to get a cigarette that fell on the tracks.

Ten seconds later a train starts coming, and people are yelling at him but it was too late, he basically just froze and started like, trying to motion to the train to stop but it couldn't fully stop in time and it ran him over before it came to a halt.

Then the horror started. The train shut off for a second and we could hear him moaning and screaming for a few seconds before the train backed up. By the time the train had backed up to expose him, he wasn't making much noise, but he was still alive and it was horrific. He is legs were flat in a couple of areas and twisted up like a mess of ropes, he couldn't move anything except for an arm which he was kind of shaking up and down while he half-cried and half-moaned. EMS and firefighters were on the scene a couple of minutes later but they couldn't get to him until the power to the tracks was confirmed to be shut off, so they were yelling to him not to move until they could go down and get him.

He lost consciousness for a bit while they were loading him on to stretcher but then he woke up again and started crying for a bit before he was silent again.

Awful, awful stuff. I can't find anything in the news about it, I guess because of COVID there wasn't really anybody to report it? Uhg, anyways I cannot stop seeing his twisted up body, I don't think there was any way he could have lived much longer and I kind of hope he didn't anyways, his injuries did not look compatible with life at all.

So yea, do not jump into the subway because you saw a cigarette, guys. It's not worth it.

See a therapist if you can. I saw someone get killed in a pick up truck vs pedestrian collision 2 years ago and still have nightmares from time to time. I was right next to them when they got hit and still remember the sound of the woman’s head hitting the road after being carried by the truck for about 20 feet and then thrown when the driver slammed on his brakes. Thankfully (for me) she was wearing a knit cap and hood so there was no gore to be seen. I regret not seeing a therapist right away.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/2oEfUn2.gifv

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely
Jesus did he hit a ketchup pocket or something?

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
An entire community of forest pixies were living in that tree... were...

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I want to say that his saw is just belching out all of its chain oil?

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Chocobo posted:

Seems like a hell of a lot for it to be that...

I like my pixie theory. Thousands of peaceful forest spirits dead in an instant. Oh the humanity!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Platystemon posted:

To do: add logic so the wheels only raise if the switch is flipped while the weight is off the wheels.

one-shot inputs are counterrevolutionary

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ika posted:

Oh one other reason why it would be difficult - there are roughly a dozen different types of trains here, and the door placement is not standardized.

The station doors don't have to line up exactly with the train doors. Have the platform doors stood back a few feet from the train, and then people just filter into the nearest train door.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Cojawfee posted:

The station doors don't have to line up exactly with the train doors. Have the platform doors stood back a few feet from the train, and then people just filter into the nearest train door.

People would wait between the doors and the tracks to get an extra second advantage.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Zero One posted:

People would wait between the doors and the tracks to get an extra second advantage.

That's where the neck height sweeping circular saw comes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Chocobo posted:

The oil pumps just don't have that amount of pressure for it do that. Even with no chain and just a free wheeling clutch, all it will really do is drip down the side of your saw (and then all over your chaps).

He probably hit a pocket of the wood that was full of water and old sap with a red fungus having set in. While it's kinda neat to hit a pocket like that, it smells like poo poo and decay because that's exactly what it is.