Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Please read the thread, we were discussing how to make bitcoin payments available to people who don't have access to more expensive technology.
No, you were looking for ways to get lower classes banked to help with rollout of emergency funds. Unless you are admitting you want reasons to use Bitcoin for no other sake than because it's Bitcoin.

There's parts of rural Africa and India that are better banked than rural US because you can bank on a dumb phone and people being the 1st generation exposed to banks are obviously excited to get started compared to a generation in the west terrified of fees. The major problems in this sphere are culture and disenfranchisement. Banking tech is pretty up to the task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Splicer posted:

Where does the money come from
That's an excellent question. As anyone who's been following this thread should know by now, I'm not the biggest fan of relying on charity for things that ought to be provided to people as a human right. I don't know if there's any easy answers here, but perhaps the community could pressure anybody with a certain amount of bitcoin wealth (public ledger, remember?) to contribute X% of their holdings during a crisis? I'm just spitballing here.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Welcome to the public library's computer system, where you can input your bitcoin address to receive your emergency funds.

1F1tAaz5x3HUXrCPLbtHDqcw6o7GNn4xqX

Thank you. Provided you didn't enter a single digit wrong, and someone else didn't man-in-the-middle attack the library's pc, and the government system doesn't have the exact same kind of glitch, you might get some sort of payment you can then do nothing with.

If any of those things go wrong, our system will show that we paid the money, which means you have no recourse to attempt a remedy. Have a nice day.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fleetwood Crack posted:

That's an excellent question. As anyone who's been following this thread should know by now, I'm not the biggest fan of relying on charity for things that ought to be provided to people as a human right. I don't know if there's any easy answers here, but perhaps the community could pressure anybody with a certain amount of bitcoin wealth (public ledger, remember?) to contribute X% of their holdings during a crisis? I'm just spitballing here.
OK so why is this an intrinsic benefit of bitcoin or general cryptocurrencies as opposed to just something anyone with a huge chunk of cash could do through existing mediums?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
ah yes the libertarian coiner community, famed advocates of social assistance and public goods (when not demanding the government prosecute an exchange that disappeared with all their poo poo)

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

put public pressure on the big holders of a system that advertises being anonymous as a selling point and we don't know just how many dozens of people own more than 100000 btc

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Ad by Khad posted:

Welcome to the public library's computer system, where you can input your bitcoin address to receive your emergency funds.

1F1tAaz5x3HUXrCPLbtHDqcw6o7GNn4xqX

Thank you. Provided you didn't enter a single digit wrong
Just so you know, if you enter a digit wrong it doesn't go through. It's not like the money gets sent somewhere else, it simply doesn't get sent. Bitcoin is very resistant to typos because the addresses contain a built-in check code. So if you had simply mistyped a few of the letters or numbers in the address, it's extremely unlikely the client would let you complete a transaction with an incorrect address. You'd have to paste in another working address.

Ad by Khad posted:

put public pressure on the big holders of a system that advertises being anonymous as a selling point and we don't know just how many dozens of people own more than 100000 btc
This is a fundamental misunderstanding about the blockchain. It is is no way anonymous.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Lemme get a ps4's worth of bitcoin it's a crisis

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

I'm aware that it's not anonymous, that doesn't stop coiners from trying to claim it is as a selling point

Though to be fair we still don't have that number of dozens of people

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

zedprime posted:

There's parts of rural Africa and India that are better banked than rural US because you can bank on a dumb phone and people being the 1st generation exposed to banks are obviously excited to get started compared to a generation in the west terrified of fees. The major problems in this sphere are culture and disenfranchisement. Banking tech is pretty up to the task.
Yeah, up to the task of seizing people's stimulus checks to cover debts.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/04/14/beyond-predatory-trump-treasury-department-gives-banks-green-light-seize-1200

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
How do smart contracts and Bitcoin fix this? Why would I not build this into the smart contract?

You need a fundamental sea change in culture and rulership for most of your ideas otherwise the new tools get used for the same oppression and now you just have a really expensive way to distribute disaster stimulus to debt collectors.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

zedprime posted:

How do smart contracts and Bitcoin fix this? Why would I not build this into the smart contract?
Because you're not a government. We are talking about grassroots organized crowdfunded-charity here. Why would a crypto-based charity deliberately build-in support to allow banks to seize people's funds?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

what do libertarian dipshits have to do with grassroots charity

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Because you're not a government. We are talking about grassroots organized crowdfunded-charity here. Why would a crypto-based charity deliberately build-in support to allow banks to seize people's funds?

Splicer posted:

OK so why is this an intrinsic benefit of bitcoin or general cryptocurrencies as opposed to just something anyone with a huge chunk of cash could do through existing mediums?

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Hey all, just wanted to point out that https://www.givedirectly.org/ exists, transfers funds directly to people who need it within weeks of a crisis, and does it all without the involvement of Chinese heat farmers.

You know, if you're into that sort of thing.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Why would a crypto-based charity deliberately build-in support to allow banks to seize people's funds?

Because it would be picked up as off-grid financial fuckery and destroyed by the government because there would be no way to prove its not terrorist funding or money laundering?

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Kerbtree posted:

Because it would be picked up as off-grid financial fuckery and destroyed by the government because there would be no way to prove its not terrorist funding or money laundering?
And how would a government go about destroying or stopping these payments? Put a cop next to every computer?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You might be surprised to learn that "crime prevention" is often a misnomer, and actually relies on post-criminal-act prosecution to act as deterrent.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Lol pressure someone to give to charity sounds reasonable

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

resistentialism posted:

You might be surprised to learn that "crime prevention" is often a misnomer, and actually relies on post-criminal-act prosecution to act as deterrent.
So now we're imagining a society that criminalizes accepting charity in a time of tremendous economic crisis?

Burt Sexual posted:

Frankly I think our culture needs much more shaming and pressuring of rich folks. Hoarding hundreds of millions of dollars - in whatever currency - is what I find unreasonable. The fact that we tolerate it is to our shame, imho.

Crypto Cobain fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 21, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fleetwood Crack posted:

And how would a government go about destroying or stopping these payments? Put a cop next to every computer?
OK I have 1,200 worth of cryptocurrency. I need to pay my rent or utilities. What do I do now.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Easiest way to prevent crime is to not make a bunch of stupid poo poo a crime.

What? I drank something but I wasn't born 21 years ago? Aw gently caress, I'm a criminal now! Oh no, I smoked a dry flower in the wrong state CRIMINAL! I said we should kill everyone with a D in their name? Oh, that's okay? Well, that's nice.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Burt Sexual posted:

It almost worked here in 2016 :grin:

Unlike bitcoin which does not work in any year :ocelot: :grin:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

buttcoin

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Waltzing Along posted:

Easiest way to prevent crime is to not make a bunch of stupid poo poo a crime.
Very much :agreed:

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Shaming people who own lots of USD aint so tough, there's all sorts of laws and tax forms and shits that require you to tell people how much you make

Shaming people who own lots of BTC seems complicated, Mark didnt even know how much btc HE owned when he came back like a year after he went to jail and he was like "oh yeah I found another wallet". How many other wallets he got? We don't know. Mark doesn't know. Carl Mark Force IV went to jail trying to find out

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Please read the thread, we were discussing how to make bitcoin payments available to people who don't have access to more expensive technology.

But you just mentioned some sim chip overlay and some other j2ee upgrade. Then you mentioned it’s “easy” to teach someone how to create a wallet.

A. Imagine the mass number of people who are poor and vastly under educated, it’s hard I know, but they have no clue about either of those.
b. Where is this legion of in the field trainers coming from? Are they going to sketchy south side neighborhoods? Who’s paying for that? Or is that all volunteer too?

Your idiotic ideas man naïveté is starting to grind on me now.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

OH wait I was wrong, Carl Mark Force IV went to jail trying to embezzle Ross's murder-for-bitcoins drug-money

How silly of me, mixing up gigantic multimillion dollar bitcoin crimes

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fleetwood Crack posted:

So now we're imagining a society that criminalizes accepting charity in a time of tremendous economic crisis?

Frankly I think our culture needs much more shaming and pressuring of rich folks. Hoarding hundreds of millions of dollars - in whatever currency - is what I find unreasonable. The fact that we tolerate it is to our shame, imho.

Sure you can do that too, but depending on that as the sole source of voluntary emergency financial relief for million is the most dumb idea

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Burt Sexual posted:

Sure you can do that too, but depending on that as the sole source of voluntary emergency financial relief for million is the most dumb idea
I don't disagree with this statement at all. Charity is not - and should not be - a filler for necessary financial relief. People who celebrate successful gofundme campaigns for medical procedures drive me nuts for exactly this reason.

Burt Sexual posted:

Your idiotic ideas man naïveté is starting to grind on me now.
In that case, I think this is the moment I'll see myself out of the thread for the day. Good talking with you all.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Answer me coward

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Just so you know, if you enter a digit wrong it doesn't go through. It's not like the money gets sent somewhere else, it simply doesn't get sent. Bitcoin is very resistant to typos because the addresses contain a built-in check code. So if you had simply mistyped a few of the letters or numbers in the address, it's extremely unlikely the client would let you complete a transaction with an incorrect address. You'd have to paste in another working address.

This is a fundamental misunderstanding about the blockchain. It is is no way anonymous.
What do you think a working address is exactly? There is no list of addresses that are 'valid', as in the address has a confirmed working private key.

It isn't anonymous though most bitcoiners will fight you on that. But what advantages do you think Bitcoin has over modern banking? It isn't anonymous, it is slow, it has no support your grandma can call when scammed, and can't support any kind of "smart"-noun without involving judges, oracles, banks, Etc. It's only real advantage is decentralization, but centralization and trusting 3rd parties are the only way to use it.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Fleetwood Crack posted:

In that case, I think this is the moment I'll see myself out of the thread for the day. Good talking with you all.

:allears: no please come back and quote half-read articles verbatim

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

He will be back in 30 minutes to give the last word dont worry

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Frankly I think our culture needs much more shaming and pressuring of rich folks, I say only a few steps removed from pumping gas into Cameron & Tyler Winklevoss' spaceplane.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Perhaps the community could pressure anybody with a certain amount of bitcoin wealth (public ledger, remember?) to contribute X% of their holdings during a crisis? I'm just spitballing here as I reinvent the class warfare that accompanied ecological devastation, national brain-drain and millions of lower-class deaths from famine and disease because twisting the arms of rich people sounded cool.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Splicer posted:

OK I have 1,200 worth of cryptocurrency. I need to pay my rent or utilities. What do I do now.

Meet in back of Safeway at midnight with your j2ee enabled flip phone and sim chip overlay. Pray you don’t get mugged or murdered for this innovative payment process.

Fried Watermelon posted:

He will be back in 30 minutes to give the last word dont worry

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

please help, my 500000 empty wallets i've just created in twelve minutes are starving in this time of crisis

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

zedprime posted:

"And how would a government go about destroying or stopping these payments", I tent my fingers and ponder as my megacorporation writhes to break free of laws and governments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Burt Sexual posted:

Meet in back of Safeway at midnight with your j2ee enabled flip phone and sim chip overlay. Pray you don’t get mugged or murdered for this innovative payment process.
fools, you cannot plunder my natural person without besting me at arm wrestling / chi sau

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 21, 2020