Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Coronavirus Economic Impact Payments Update

If you were getting Social Security retirement, survivor or disability benefits (SSDI), Railroad Retirement benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), or were a Veteran Affairs beneficiary, and you didn't file a tax return in the last two years, and you have dependents, you will get screwed out of 500$ per dependent child unless you go to the IRS website and fill in some info.

:siren:You have until noon tomorrow(4/22) to do this:siren:. If you don't do it, you won't get the money until 2021. (Some groups get a couple more days)

Full information here:
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/ssa-rr...e-plus-500-push

Place to enter the information here (read the instructions carefully):
https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-filers-enter-payment-info-here

Generally, every American goon who hasn't already received their trumpbucks should check their status and make sure there's nothing they need to do on this site:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

Remember, all this can be yours!

(Not legal tender. This image is not endorsed by the IRS.)

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Do we have any idea if they're going to update the status online if your direct deposit went to a closed account, or is it just "check your mail for the next six months."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I am not certain about that, and regrettably am not involved with the rollout generally, so I don't have any insight on troubleshooting. I just know it's a common problem and I have to assume they're aware of it.

Victoria_alice
Sep 20, 2008
Question!

I've taken up a side gig managing someone's online modeling account. They get paid from the site, and pay me a % of their net profit.

The site they work for issues 1099s at the end of the year to their members.

My question is, I'll definitely end up being paid over $600. Is it true that at the end of the year, they'll issue a 1099 for what they ended up paying me throughout the year, and they will report that amount as an expense and not have to pay taxes on my income as well essentially?

Just trying to figure a way to just be in charge of paying taxes on our own income without starting an LLC together or something or if that's even possible.

Thanks!

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Victoria_alice posted:

My question is, I'll definitely end up being paid over $600. Is it true that at the end of the year, they'll issue a 1099 for what they ended up paying me throughout the year, and they will report that amount as an expense and not have to pay taxes on my income as well essentially?

Correct. Some local/state taxes may vary, but in general businesses pay income taxes solely on their profits.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

BonerGhost posted:

A lot of people don't know you can update your address with IRS whenever you move without waiting for filing day (I sure as hell didn't before I did taxes last year) https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/address-changes/address-changes

I don't know that it would help for stimulus payments, but it might be something to do if you're locked in and have time on your hands.

Holy crap, thanks for this. I move like every 2 years so this is nice. Bookmarked!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Victoria_alice posted:

Question!

I've taken up a side gig managing someone's online modeling account. They get paid from the site, and pay me a % of their net profit.

The site they work for issues 1099s at the end of the year to their members.

Just trying to figure a way to just be in charge of paying taxes on our own income without starting an LLC together or something or if that's even possible.

Thanks!

They are supposed to issue you a 1099, correct. What they pay you is a deductible expense to them and income to you.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Small White Dragon posted:

Do we have any idea if they're going to update the status online if your direct deposit went to a closed account, or is it just "check your mail for the next six months."

Discendo Vox posted:

I am not certain about that, and regrettably am not involved with the rollout generally, so I don't have any insight on troubleshooting. I just know it's a common problem and I have to assume they're aware of it.

For anyone interested -- some reports on Reddit that the payment page has updated to reflect a check will be mailed if payment bounced. No change here, but maybe for someone else.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character
Welp, because my parents neither owed money or had a refund, they can't use the "Get My Payment" tool to input their banking information because the IRS never coded for the $0 scenario.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Ancillary Character posted:

Welp, because my parents neither owed money or had a refund, they can't use the "Get My Payment" tool to input their banking information because the IRS never coded for the $0 scenario.

Did they file returns in 2018 or 2019? Are they on social security?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

There's a page specifically for non-filers:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-filers-enter-payment-info-here

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Cabbages and Kings posted:

My fed return has sat in "received" status for, I believe, a week at this point. I am used to things clearing and starting the release to ACH process faster than that; are things overall delayed this year because of general confusion and lack of staffing, or should I be concerned?

There are substantial delays with a (random) bunch of returns; I had some people calling me in April who had filed in late February who still hadn't seen their refunds. Pretty much "IRS on fire even worse than most federal agencies", so hard to say on timeline. They do owe you interest if they take too long though.

Epi Lepi posted:

They are supposed to issue you a 1099, correct. What they pay you is a deductible expense to them and income to you.

If they don't issue the 1099-MISC you still need to report the income, mind you, though as long as you do that you at least won't have any issues to worry about (the IRS seldom questions you when you report more income than they knew about in my experience ;)). They are supposed to send out the 1099-MISC to you/the IRS by January 31st like W-2s at any rate.

If you mean they didn't file a return, like Zero VGS said there's a non-filer page to go to. If you mean they filed a tax return that by some luck actually had a $0 balance/refund... wow, that is a rare one. I thought the tool asked for AGI not refund/balance due though, that's the number on line 8b of the 1040. If it's bugging out with the correct information just because of the $0 scenario, then yeah that is a screwball issue, one wonders if they'll ever open the phone lines again to report that sort of bug (probably should have a stimulus-only line if they do).

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
No they filed returns and had a non-zero AGI, just their income is less than the standard deduction, so they owed no income taxes, nor were they owed a refund, due to no income taxes withheld and rental income disqualifying them from the EIC. I can enter $0 for either refund or tax owed and get a "Technical Difficulties" error message.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IRS/comments/g1v8sd/i_owed_zero_in_my_2019_return_irs_said_technical/

That reddit thread suggests my parents are not alone in this situation.

EDIT: I even tried to put in $1 since that's what you're supposed to do for the "Where's My Refund" tool when you're not getting a refund, but that gave an error that it did not match the IRS's records.

Ancillary Character fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 23, 2020

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

My fed return has sat in "received" status for, I believe, a week at this point. I am used to things clearing and starting the release to ACH process faster than that; are things overall delayed this year because of general confusion and lack of staffing, or should I be concerned?

Did you file via paper or electronically? Because apparently no one is processing paper returns presently.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Did you file via paper or electronically? Because apparently no one is processing paper returns presently.

Speaking of which. I need to file amendments for 2017 and 2018. The amendments don't effect my tax for those years so I don't owe money nor should I get a refund.

They do effect some of the numbers I use for my 2019 return (amortization on rental property).

Logic dictates I should send my amendments first and then efile 2019, but since paper filings aren't processing, efiling would mean my 2019 return mean that would get processed before the amendments.

Any suggestions? Should I just do it anyway?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

No they filed returns and had a non-zero AGI, just their income is less than the standard deduction, so they owed no income taxes, nor were they owed a refund, due to no income taxes withheld and rental income disqualifying them from the EIC. I can enter $0 for either refund or tax owed and get a "Technical Difficulties" error message.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IRS/comments/g1v8sd/i_owed_zero_in_my_2019_return_irs_said_technical/

That reddit thread suggests my parents are not alone in this situation.

EDIT: I even tried to put in $1 since that's what you're supposed to do for the "Where's My Refund" tool when you're not getting a refund, but that gave an error that it did not match the IRS's records.

I have confirmed that at least some people peripherally associated with the project are aware it is an issue. Sorry, that's all I can do.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

MadDogMike posted:

There are substantial delays with a (random) bunch of returns; I had some people calling me in April who had filed in late February who still hadn't seen their refunds. Pretty much "IRS on fire even worse than most federal agencies", so hard to say on timeline. They do owe you interest if they take too long though.

Thanks. At what point past the end of the stated 21-day window should I ask my tax rep to reach out and say wtf?

I didn't actually do it, a tax person did, but it was done electronically with a paper signature form (because third party filing via tax agent). I don't think I've filed a proper paper return in my life.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Hey y'all. If you were getting the "Payment status not available" bullshit, try again now. I just did and it let me enter my bank info finally, but for some reason it still wouldn't let me use info from my 2019 taxes, I had to use my 2018 filing.

But still. Gonna get that money DD'd, no Trump Stamp needed.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I was able to successfully use the IRS get my payment website to accept my AGI and payment amount to then enter my direct deposit info. I used my own SSN.

My wife and I file MFJ, do I also need to have her go through the same process with her SSN or will it just automagically dump both of our stimulus dollars plus our dependent toddler's 5 hundo into my (our joint) checking account?

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

tangy yet delightful posted:

I was able to successfully use the IRS get my payment website to accept my AGI and payment amount to then enter my direct deposit info. I used my own SSN.

My wife and I file MFJ, do I also need to have her go through the same process with her SSN or will it just automagically dump both of our stimulus dollars plus our dependent toddler's 5 hundo into my (our joint) checking account?

Was wondering the same thing. Checked the FAQs links but there appears to be zero answers about what to do for joint filers.

AtomicSX
Jan 10, 2007

My wife and I file MFJ. After I put in my SSN provided DD info, I checked my wife's SSN and it loaded with the DD info that I had already used for mine. I didn't try my daughter's SSN, but I assume it would also be automatically picked up. I was able to submit my info the first day the tool was open and have yet to get the payment however.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
:siren: :siren: :siren: IF YOU CAN'T GET THE IRS TO FIND YOUR INFORMATION FOR THE CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS, READ THIS :siren: :siren: :siren:

I'm sure I'm not the first to report it in this thread (edit: maybe I am, after reading back a few pages), but I finally got my status to show up (and subsequently enter my bank account information to get my stimulus money). The problem was I was entering my address like "123 Main Dr." just as it appeared on my tax return. When I entered "123 Main" instead it finally went through.

So gently caress this stupid administration and their lovely website for not clarifying this or having the code automatically check for the correct address. At least I should be getting my money finally.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 25, 2020

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

AtomicSX posted:

My wife and I file MFJ. After I put in my SSN provided DD info, I checked my wife's SSN and it loaded with the DD info that I had already used for mine. I didn't try my daughter's SSN, but I assume it would also be automatically picked up. I was able to submit my info the first day the tool was open and have yet to get the payment however.

Thanks for this. Now we wait.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Nocheez posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: IF YOU CAN'T GET THE IRS TO FIND YOUR INFORMATION FOR THE CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS, READ THIS :siren: :siren: :siren:

I'm sure I'm not the first to report it in this thread (edit: maybe I am, after reading back a few pages), but I finally got my status to show up (and subsequently enter my bank account information to get my stimulus money). The problem was I was entering my address like "123 Main Dr." just as it appeared on my tax return. When I entered "123 Main" instead it finally went through.

So gently caress this stupid administration and their lovely website for not clarifying this or having the code automatically check for the correct address. At least I should be getting my money finally.

Nocheez, is it okay if I add this info to the pinned post in DnD for people trying to use the site?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Of course it is. It should be posted everywhere.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Framboise posted:

Hey y'all. If you were getting the "Payment status not available" bullshit, try again now. I just did and it let me enter my bank info finally, but for some reason it still wouldn't let me use info from my 2019 taxes, I had to use my 2018 filing.

But still. Gonna get that money DD'd, no Trump Stamp needed.

Thanks for this, it worked for me as well. Right down to using the 2018 numbers.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I have confirmed that at least some people peripherally associated with the project are aware it is an issue. Sorry, that's all I can do.

Thanks, it looks like the update they did yesterday now allows for an entry of $0 and I was able to enter the banking information for my parents.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
They definitely updated something because now I can't look up my information to see my payment date update anymore. What I've put in for weeks now suddenly says that my information that they have on record does not match and of course they say don't call them if there's a problem. gently caress this.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Thanks for the additional replies everybody. Got a 1040-X and a (second!) 201-X from my Very Bad Accountant.

Since one 201-X has already been filed, is there anything special I need to do with this new one (other than including the appropriate attachment/s), or do I just send it in? My original 201 was missing a W2, then the guy switched W2s for the 201-X. This new 201-X finally includes both. So in this dumb scneario, should I be attaching one of my W2s or both?

My other question is, is there any harm in paying federal and state online right away? Or should I wait for some indication that all amended returns (hard copies) have been received?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Minidust posted:

Thanks for the additional replies everybody. Got a 1040-X and a (second!) 201-X from my Very Bad Accountant.

Since one 201-X has already been filed, is there anything special I need to do with this new one (other than including the appropriate attachment/s), or do I just send it in? My original 201 was missing a W2, then the guy switched W2s for the 201-X. This new 201-X finally includes both. So in this dumb scneario, should I be attaching one of my W2s or both?

My other question is, is there any harm in paying federal and state online right away? Or should I wait for some indication that all amended returns (hard copies) have been received?

First thing is definitely give the new amendments a brief sanity check to make sure the number looks right this time given your prior headaches ;). After that, might as well attach both W-2 forms to both returns, won’t hurt in any event. Definitely pay ASAP, that will cover your butt if as is likely they are slow to process the amendments. As long as the correct amount is paid by the due date you’re safe even if the amendment is late.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

MadDogMike posted:

First thing is definitely give the new amendments a brief sanity check to make sure the number looks right this time given your prior headaches ;). After that, might as well attach both W-2 forms to both returns, won’t hurt in any event. Definitely pay ASAP, that will cover your butt if as is likely they are slow to process the amendments. As long as the correct amount is paid by the due date you’re safe even if the amendment is late.
okay yeah that works me for me, sounds good. Appreciate it, thanks!! :cheers:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Sorry to doube post but I've got an update. I paid both the amended federal and state (New York) returns online two nights ago, then mailed the forms/W2s out yesterday.

Well today we got the refund from our original state return. I assume we'll get some notice about this, at which point I can pay the refund amount back to them online. Or should I pay asap to avoid interest, if that's a thing?

On the other hand, is it possible that the amended state return actually took the original refund into account? That'd be nice but I don't wanna get my hopes up.

AtomicSX
Jan 10, 2007

Thanks for this. Now we wait.

Update to this, we got our payment direct deposited today. Amount was close to what I calculated for my wife and I plus 1 dependent.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Still waiting for a date on my stimulus. It says I'm eligible but to keep coming back until they decide they want to actually give me a time frame to expect.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Minidust posted:

Sorry to double post but I've got an update. I paid both the amended federal and state (New York) returns online two nights ago, then mailed the forms/W2s out yesterday.

Well today we got the refund from our original state return. I assume we'll get some notice about this, at which point I can pay the refund amount back to them online. Or should I pay asap to avoid interest, if that's a thing?

On the other hand, is it possible that the amended state return actually took the original refund into account? That'd be nice but I don't wanna get my hopes up.

For New York's 201-X amended return form check line 78 looks like, that should have that refund amount on it and it would have been taken into account when doing the math on how much you owed. Assuming line 78 matches the refund you got, then you are actually OK to accept that refund, the amendment includes the amount they paid you already when you did it and should have come up with the correct amount to pay back which sounds like you did already. If you didn't cash it in that case you'd actually wind up further down than you should. But double check because if there ISN'T any entry on that line then don't take the refund money, the guy did the amendment and came up with an amount due based on you not cashing said check and you'd owe if you did. All this is why I usually ask the client VERY carefully how they want to handle it when doing an amendment (sometimes when they held up the refund because the agency was concerned with the return there SHOULDN'T be an entry for prior refund even if the first return showed one, because it never got paid out), though God willing I'm usually amending to get more money for them and don't have to stress so much ;).

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

AtomicSX posted:

Update to this, we got our payment direct deposited today. Amount was close to what I calculated for my wife and I plus 1 dependent.

Got it today (or rather end of day yesterday I think).

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
My trumpbux are finally pending. Took about a month longer than everyone else, but it's there.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Framboise posted:

My trumpbux are finally pending. Took about a month longer than everyone else, but it's there.

Mine went from “direct deposited on April 30” to “oops, just kidding. we’re mailing a check in mid-May” so you’re definitely not a month behind everyone.

If you want to see some real salty bastards, check out https://reddit.com/r/stimuluscheck

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Not sure if anyone else had this issue, but if you got a payment for a dead person you have to send it back: https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center#collapseCollapsible1588777339013

I had been wondering this so I called my congressman today - I got my mom's payment since I filed her last tax return so the IRS would know she had died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Person A earns $200k and pays income tax on it

Person B steals the $200k from Person A by fraud

Person A sues Person B and 5 years later settles the case for $100k because it would be too expensive/risky to try for the full amount back

Person A receives the settlement check for $100k. Does he need to pay taxes on it again? He earned 0 dollars aside from the settlement this year.