Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
How much are set/play design actually allowed to do if a novel design, that the guys are clearly proud of, just turns out to be utterly wrong? Could they have introduced an Alpine Moon reprint in M20 to sink Field of the Dead despite the set's land subtheme? Were they allowed to fudge the numbers on Oko and make the obvious pack-mover weaker? Could they have vetoed the entire Companion cycle?

I'm still miffed they lump companions as one huge thing because 1) it's a really reductive view of the problem because it places the blame solely on the companion ability instead of on the design they went with where it's actually quite easy to meet their conditions because they're really broad, and some decks do by accident i.e. Lurrus and low-curve decks in eternal formats 2) the standard list with Kaheera, the Orphanguard deserves some loving credit for being really clever about meeting the condition by playing a creatureless 5c superfriends list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
About two weeks before previews someone got onto the server where all the leaks are and posted a bunch of the companions on MTG Salvation. We were sure they would be on reddit within minutes but no one believed they were real and the Salvation mods deleted the thread after like an hour and there were never spoken of again until previews.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Basically the og Partners were this kind of bullshit where 5 of them (Tynma, Thrasios, Karum, Ludevic, Vial Smasher) are just generically too good, three of them (Bruse Tarl, Akari, Sidar Kondo) are actually interesting and make for some novel new decks, a few more (Reyhan, Tana, Silas Renn) are just sorta there, and the rest are hot garbage.

I think Companion is what happens when you get Tynma/whoever in regular constructed.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

How much are set/play design actually allowed to do if a novel design, that the guys are clearly proud of, just turns out to be utterly wrong? Could they have introduced an Alpine Moon reprint in M20 to sink Field of the Dead despite the set's land subtheme? Were they allowed to fudge the numbers on Oko and make the obvious pack-mover weaker? Could they have vetoed the entire Companion cycle?

I'm still miffed they lump companions as one huge thing because 1) it's a really reductive view of the problem because it places the blame solely on the companion ability instead of on the design they went with where it's actually quite easy to meet their conditions because they're really broad, and some decks do by accident i.e. Lurrus and low-curve decks in eternal formats 2) the standard list with Kaheera, the Orphanguard deserves some loving credit for being really clever about meeting the condition by playing a creatureless 5c superfriends list.

If companions were all just generic Bears they'd still be very good but not as utterly broken. The problem isn't that you get an 8th card, it's that you get an 8th card with an amazing ability at no downside in some decks.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Tainen posted:

About two weeks before previews someone got onto the server where all the leaks are and posted a bunch of the companions on MTG Salvation. We were sure they would be on reddit within minutes but no one believed they were real and the Salvation mods deleted the thread after like an hour and there were never spoken of again until previews.

It wouldn't surprise me to see more of this now that every WotC employee is working from home and sending files back and forth. Were there any future spoilers or was it just Ikoria?

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
magic cards were a mistake. printing magic cards has been terrible for the health of magic the gathering

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/crewmanwilson/status/1252405649738104848?s=21

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

He's right, it is very cool.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Did.... did he just notice? Tweet back that if you look close enough at the background of the Mothra card, there are skyscrapers.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

LifeLynx posted:

It wouldn't surprise me to see more of this now that every WotC employee is working from home and sending files back and forth. Were there any future spoilers or was it just Ikoria?

RTRTZEN has nothing so ambitious as this, I can tell you.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

RTRTZEN has nothing so ambitious as this, I can tell you.

:thunk:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TacoNight posted:

Did.... did he just notice? Tweet back that if you look close enough at the background of the Mothra card, there are skyscrapers.

Don't tell him Mechagodzilla is a robot shooting missiles, Mothra's Great Cocoon is lit by a helicopter, or that Ghidora is also fighting jets.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Don't tell him Mechagodzilla is a robot shooting missiles, Mothra's Great Cocoon is lit by a helicopter, or that Ghidora is also fighting jets.

First and foremost Mechagodzilla is a dirty cheating fucker that ruins drafts

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It is funny when MaRo has to go out and defend a bad decision he has passionately argued against in the past (no dragons at Common in the set 'Dragons of Tarkir' is another example I remember).

its funny that both this and finding "morph plus" were problems that plagued DTK through all of design when they could have done the easiest loving slam dunk by combining the two

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

TacoNight posted:

Yeah, add in some vanilla companions with weak or even no deck building requirement. Everyone gets an eighth card!

I'll start:
Third peak:
Companion.
Play this only if you control two basic mountains
T: R.

The Cave
Land
Companion
The Cave enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add colorless

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

PJOmega posted:

The Cave
Land
Companion
The Cave enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add colorless

The issue is the turn after you play this you gain a dawning awareness that you've only been seeing the shadows of an actual fun game that's been happening on the table behind you.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

I mean, I threw Kaheera into my pre-Ikoria Jeskai superfriends list but I didn't feel like a genius for removing a card from my sideboard to make room. It's as freeroll as it gets, even more so than the modern decks cutting three drops from their list to run Lurrus.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I can't wait until they print a companion cryptic command with the condition that all your spells must be instants or have flash

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A light at the end of the tunnel:

https://twitter.com/tylerjjobrien/status/1252659769422286849?s=21

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kurieg posted:

The issue is the turn after you play this you gain a dawning awareness that you've only been seeing the shadows of an actual fun game that's been happening on the table behind you.
:golfclap:

DreamScythe
Jul 25, 2007

This deck is two cards away from being able to add Jegantha as a companion. They cannot be escaped from.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DreamScythe posted:

This deck is two cards away from being able to add Jegantha as a companion. They cannot be escaped from.

Finale of Devastation is 10x better than Jegantha, though.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Toshimo posted:

Finale of Devastation is 10x better than Jegantha, though.

Hour, not Finale. In the comments he said he tested both ways and Hour outweighed having Jegantha as companion though, yeah.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Kurieg posted:

A child proudly holds up 90 forests and proclaims behold a deck of magic cards.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

PJOmega posted:

A child proudly holds up 90 forests and proclaims behold a deck of magic cards.

You softly offer a hearty congratulations and return to gnawing on your spit covered rock.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The only reason Hour is better than the companion is because hour hits walkers. They'll print some RB/RW spell at some point that does a similar thing and then niv too will play a commander

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Countin’ down the days till we get a walker with companion

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Tainen posted:

Countin’ down the days till we get a walker with companion
Remember how core 2021 is the teferi set? we won't be waiting long!

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

No Wave posted:

Remember how core 2021 is the teferi set? we won't be waiting long!

There aren’t any walkers with companion but there might be one with the word Phase on it...

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Teferi, the broken
3uw
Companion: your deck contains at least 12 Teferi Planeswalkers
Your opponent can't play spells
+1: until the end of your next turn you may cast spells as if they had flash and without paying their mana cost.
1000000 loyalty

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Kurieg posted:

Teferi, the broken
3uw
Companion: your deck contains at least 12 Teferi Planeswalkers
Your opponent can't play spells
+1: until the end of your next turn you may cast spells as if they had flash and without paying their mana cost.
1000000 loyalty

Eh, maybe if it were one mana cheaper.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tainen posted:

There aren’t any walkers with companion but there might be one with the word Phase on it...

hell yeah gonna make people skip their combat phase, just like richard garfield intended

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Phasing is a cool and easily grokkable mechanic that has some really cool design possibilities

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Tainen posted:

+1: Choose a phase. Your opponent skips that phase next turn.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

sit on my Facebook posted:

Phasing is a cool and easily grokkable mechanic that has some really cool design possibilities

Yeah now that there isn't a phasing zone or many of the other attempts at making it work, it's good again. "Treat this as though it didn't exist until the next turn starts" is more easily understandable than mutate. Nothing about it changes, it doesn't trigger enter/leave play abilities, it just doesn't exist.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

No Wave posted:

-2: Choose a phase. Until the end of your next turn, all players skip that phase.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

No Wave posted:

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

-2: Choose a phase. Until the end of your next turn, all players skip that phase.

looooooooooooooooooool

Naming Beggining Phase with either of these would absolutely destroy people worse than pretty much any card in history.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Toshimo posted:

looooooooooooooooooool

Naming Beggining Phase with either of these would absolutely destroy people worse than pretty much any card in history.

If it's a phase skip it will be modelledafter Fatespinner.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
End Phase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
These Yorion decks are hilarious and I'm not sure why they work but they do.