Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Roth posted:

Yeah, the Shonen Jump sub is a no brainer if you like those mangas. I would have been happy with it if it was just "Get the new chapters immediately" but it also includes nearly everything.

And if you do want just "get the new chapters immediately," that's free!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
i think it is time for the story about reincarnating as sephiroth. we as a society are ready for it

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Lessail posted:

i think it is time for the story about reincarnating as sephiroth. we as a society are ready for it
It turns into the greatest Yaoi lovestory ever told.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Julias posted:

I'm curious, have you tried Hamefura (Bakarina?) I think if you're enjoying Kaguya you might enjoy it as well. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3919866

I really hate Isekai, the only one I've ever enjoyed was Konosuba, so I haven't tried it. If it's particularly good I'll give it a go, thanks for the recommendation!

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Kwyndig posted:

Alright, time to watch Lucky Star backwards at double speed!

followed by haruhi in reverse chronological order

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Zetsubou-san posted:

followed by haruhi in reverse chronological order

ah yes the humanity has declined broadcasting order

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Kwyndig posted:

Not everyone has time for shady pirate sites hosting dodgy scanlations.

Joke's on you: I get all my villainess reincarnation comics legally from Korean webtoon apps.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Julias posted:

I'm curious, have you tried Hamefura (Bakarina?) I think if you're enjoying Kaguya you might enjoy it as well. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3919866

Yeah this isn't the usual boring isekai power fantasy, this is great! Thanks for the recommendation!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Splode posted:

Yeah this isn't the usual boring isekai power fantasy, this is great! Thanks for the recommendation!

Yeah, I'm glad that you're enjoying it :D

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Endorph posted:

literally the first otome game ever made, angelique, had this as its main gameplay hook. the premise is that you and the rival character are the two candidates to be queen.

the rival character is haughty and competing against her is the main goal of the game. as the angelique series went on she was given more depth and you were even given the option to play as her in later games. that reversal from rival to legitimate protagonist is mirrored in bakarina. heck, the scheming and romantic one upsmanship is derived directly from angelique's mechanics.

Okay, I guess part of that trope still existed back then.

Still, in the opinion of someone much more familiar with otome games, how much of it is imitators riffing off Bakarina, and how much of it is people noticing the success of Bakarina and using it as an opportunity to mine the heritage of otome game culture for LN/manga ideas.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its definitely people ripping off bakarina but bakarina itself is playing with tropes that have been around forever. heck even isekai has been pretty common in otome games since well before it was as big a genre as it is now.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Splode posted:

You might also be interested in Ascendance of a Bookworm; it's not a power fantasy (I mean, technically, knowledge is power, but it's definitely not about someone steamrolling over all the baddies), avoids most of the annoying tropes, and also has the slice of life vibe that Bakarina has, even though I wouldn't really put them in the same genre.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Personally, I'm waiting for the take "Bakarina is problematic as it romanticises aristocracy".

Maxwell Adams posted:

Make sure you don't miss the hottest action anime this season: this bike commercial.

https://twitter.com/tamagushii/status/1251894698634952706

This rules.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dzhay posted:

Personally, I'm waiting for the take "Bakarina is problematic as it romanticises aristocracy".
Personally, I'm waiting for someone to call attention to the fact that Bakarina seems to constantly be doing a number to her poor tummy from her practically freebasing sweets. Moderation, tiny one! :mad:

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Wark Say posted:

Personally, I'm waiting for someone to call attention to the fact that Bakarina seems to constantly be doing a number to her poor tummy from her practically freebasing sweets. Moderation, tiny one! :mad:

"I was Reborn as an Otome Villainess with IBS."

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Dzhay posted:

that's a problem with the fantasy genre, not with bakarina in particular, so I dunno why anyone would say that

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm waiting for the crossover with Bookworm.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Maine would have a fit if she found out that someone from earth reincarnated as a noble and read nothing but trashy romance novels in their spare time

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Dzhay posted:

I Favor the Villainess adaptation when

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Argue posted:

You might also be interested in Ascendance of a Bookworm; it's not a power fantasy (I mean, technically, knowledge is power, but it's definitely not about someone steamrolling over all the baddies), avoids most of the annoying tropes, and also has the slice of life vibe that Bakarina has, even though I wouldn't really put them in the same genre.

This one is still a power fantasy, just in a different way.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean Bakarina's "everyone naturally falls in love with my goofy otaku earnestness" is also a power fantasy. It's turtles all the way down.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think we need a better definition of power fantasy.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Argue posted:

Maine is pulling a Connecticut Yankee and a King Arthur's Court move and bringing world changing knowledge about paper making and other modern crafts to a medieval society and has made more money in the one year she's been herself than her family would likely have made in a lifetime.

It's very much a power fantasy for nerds.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Yes, she has that money, but all that money can buy for her is a standard of living that is far inferior to what she had in her normal modern day life. What she can do is improve the lives of the people around her immeasurably, but beyond having a loving family she'll never end up being better off than her starting point.

EDIT: I mean her entire earnings in season 1 boiled down to what, 6 months of medical treatment for her terminal illness?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 21, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a lot of stories focused around one central character are kinda necessarily gonna boil down to some sort of power fantasy so i dunno how much you can really split hairs about it in isekai

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Fangz posted:

Yes, she has that money, but all that money can buy for her is a standard of living that is far inferior to what she had in her normal modern day life. What she can do is improve the lives of the people around her immeasurably, but beyond having a loving family she'll never end up being better off than her starting point.

EDIT: I mean her entire earnings in season 1 boiled down to what, 6 months of medical treatment for her terminal illness?
I don't know what you'd call it but power fantasy but the there are a ton of these stories and they all have the same element of inferior standard of living. It's just that the target audience is usually engineer dads with alternate history or post apocalypse rather than teens in a fantasy world. The fantasy is in your pre-existing skills being of paramount value and influence. Lest Darkness Fall, Alas Bablyon, and Conneticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court examples. They're also probably the only three well enough written to really recommend in any way, as most of the others are bad short stories only available as a part of tor book collections or in old sci-fi magazines.

Nothing really wrong with the story concept inherently regardless of label.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 22, 2020

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Clarste posted:

I mean Bakarina's "everyone naturally falls in love with my goofy otaku earnestness" is also a power fantasy. It's turtles all the way down.

Yeah honestly my original post was after watching episode 2 where it seems like it's going to be a show where she just barely avoids her doom. Episode 3 deteriorated into that you're describing and if that keeps up I'll drop the show after all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Power fantasies are fine and can be enjoyable and valuable art.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the main reason i'm interested in bakarina is because i heard the girls have as much of a crush on the mc as everyone else lol

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Splode posted:

Yeah honestly my original post was after watching episode 2 where it seems like it's going to be a show where she just barely avoids her doom. Episode 3 deteriorated into that you're describing and if that keeps up I'll drop the show after all.
I mean it isn't any different in terms of the stuff that actually mattered in making the first two episodes actually good. Namely the people being funny and dumb.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The Colonel posted:

the main reason i'm interested in bakarina is because i heard the girls have as much of a crush on the mc as everyone else lol

So far, that seems true, yeah. They're oddly matter-of-fact about it, too; I like that when when of the princes accuses Bakarina of trying to seduce his fiancée, she doesn't respond with "What are you talking about? We're both girls!" the way I expected, but just thinks to herself that he misunderstood her intentions.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

She's awesome. Of course she's going to have a harem including girls. Also, inner Bakarina congress/judiciary(/board of directors?) is a thing.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
literally 5head

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Endorph posted:

Power fantasies are fine and can be enjoyable and valuable art.
Please explain. I've felt bad about enjoying them for a long time cause everyone's writing them off as garbage.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Not making a judgement call on it but there's definitely at least some wish-fulfillment to the premise of being Smarter and Righter than everyone all the time because you literally have cheat knowledge. Like Bakarina though I'm pretty sure Bookworm is what all the other isekais in the same vein are ripping from, and the derivatives are the ones that tend to be way meaner.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

mycot posted:

Not making a judgement call on it but there's definitely at least some wish-fulfillment to the premise of being Smarter and Righter than everyone all the time because you literally have cheat knowledge.
you've done it. you've cracked the code. the great mystery of isekai... at last, it has been solved

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Please explain. I've felt bad about enjoying them for a long time cause everyone's writing them off as garbage.
What is happening in a piece of media matters a lot less than how it is being told and what it is trying to do. Like Hellsing is a fairly good example where it is a blatant no bones about it power fantasy of being the bestest vampire ever who will always win. The whole point is to give the audience that same feeling of excitement and guiltless pub stomping as playing a dynasty warriors game. Alucard being obviously unbeatable is a narrative tool in service of that. For a non-anime example this all more or less applies to John Wick and Doom 2016 as well.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Grouchio posted:

A lot of them are garbage because they cater specifically to the fantasy of how awesome you'd be if you were in x situation. With many of them written by males, they're also often quite tied up with harems and/or having one gazillion levels more than the next most powerful being in the world. This is strongly Mary Sueish and typically makes for a really boring narrative, and in the worst cases, a downright sociopathic one. Bakarina gets away with it because she's completely oblivious to all of this and it's a comedy. Bookworm gets away with it because she actually has to work for her goals and doesn't get things handed to her on a silver platter like most other isekai protagonists who end up born into royalty or bestowed an ability to defeat everything with one punch.

The furthest isekai from a power fantasy that I can think of is Isekai Izakaya Nobu, because it's purely a slice of life with no real plot, and even then it's about the power that Japanese cooking has to solve all problems.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I get nothing from power fantasies because I am already awesome and correct in every situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Grouchio posted:

There's nothing wrong with enjoying power fantasy narratives as long as you recognize the fantastic elements of the narrative--"fantastic" here primarily referring not to gnomes and dragons but to those elements of the narrative which do not reflect how real people and societies act and interact--as such, rather than internalizing them as reflective of the real world.

The power fantasies in Bakarina are mostly so unsubtle as to be harmless; to reach a little, Katalina's awakening to her past life and subsequent reversal of behavior and course--emphasizing the seemingly mundane reversal of course, rather than the fantastic aeakening which causes it--could be taken to represent a kind of instant moral/psychological rebirth in which all flaws and sins are erased in a moment. This is just as much a fantasy as the harem stuff! In real life, that kind of behavioral change takes time to effect. Believing that kind of instant change to exist in the real world could lead you to, I dunno, believe that you can forever stop yourself from procrastinating merely by rejecting the idea of procrastination (an instant behaviorial shift), rather than through effective habits. But again, that's a bit of a reach.