Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Man if they can do the Vulcan neck pinch... what else can they do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Brawnfire posted:

The game I will always want is Freelancer skinned up as Babylon 5.

Then comrade do I have good news for you !

http://babylon.hard-light.net/official_downloads.php

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Brawnfire posted:

The game I will always want is Freelancer skinned up as Babylon 5.

Babylon 5 is a big pile of poo poo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Get out!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

You loving new Trek makes more sense with every post you make.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Babylon 5 had a troubled production but managed to salvage a compelling story. There's lots of goofy 90s episodes but the strength of the arc storytelling and a few actors who can reliably elevate the material gets to good TV status. Shame about seasons 1 and 5, which really suffered from production issues.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

All I'm getting here is that nowhere near enough people watches Spaced.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBx-kqrm_zg

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

And actually, that note about Activision reminds me of something...

Sometime in the mid-2000s, if I remember right Activision tried to sue Paramount on the grounds that Paramount had hosed up their handling of the Star Trek franchise so badly that it had ruined the value of the license to make Star Trek games.

There's a part of me that wonders if the people at Paramount (and later, CBS) took that as a cue to simply not issue further licenses.

They sued to get out of the obligation to make Star Trek games, which was granted.

There have been further licensed games, but the license itself is enormously expensive and you don't get creative control, and many studios began to move into making games based on their own original IPs, see Bioware inventing a fantasy world because gently caress paying Hasbro for the DnD license.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Given that the plan for the season apparently changed quite a bit during pre-production I'm really curious what the original pitch was that got Stewart interested.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Peachfart posted:

So this is where we try to desperately try to rationalize terrible writing.
How do the incest Romulans fit into this grand vision?

It's confounding because there was a thought process to every creative decision made. The only fun I'm having watching nu-trek is acting like it's a puzzle and trying to put the pieces together even if I have to hammer together the ones that barely fit.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

MikeJF posted:

All I'm getting here is that nowhere near enough people watches Spaced.

To get the reference requires actually watching television.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I'm still amazed that they finished the full cast recordings for that game and they were never used. If the story was decent at all, wouldn't it be worth using them for something?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I've checked back a page or two, is the thread aware that the episode titles for DISCO 3 are out?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Arglebargle III posted:

Babylon 5 had a troubled production but managed to salvage a compelling story. There's lots of goofy 90s episodes but the strength of the arc storytelling and a few actors who can reliably elevate the material gets to good TV status. Shame about seasons 1 and 5, which really suffered from production issues.

It has a lot of problems with the acting and I don't really think the plot is as compelling as people say. (The LOTR references are way too on the nose), and even Picard never had line readings as bad as Furlan's at times.

That being said, it is still a significantly better show than Picard.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

pyrotek posted:

I'm still amazed that they finished the full cast recordings for that game and they were never used. If the story was decent at all, wouldn't it be worth using them for something?

I know. And I seem to recall that it was DeForest Kelly’s last go as McCoy before he passed.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Panzeh posted:

It has a lot of problems with the acting and I don't really think the plot is as compelling as people say. (The LOTR references are way too on the nose), and even Picard never had line readings as bad as Furlan's at times.

That being said, it is still a significantly better show than Picard.

A friend I've been watching B5 with said it was 90's terribleness followed by almost out-of-nowhere spits of brilliance. After a pretty goofy episode about a man turning into Dr. Manhattan while nazi chekov tried to kill him, G'Kar just gives probably one of the best speeches about The Unknown she'd ever heard to the point where she actually said "Wow, that was really loving good, what the gently caress?"

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 26, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

Given that the plan for the season apparently changed quite a bit during pre-production I'm really curious what the original pitch was that got Stewart interested.

Pitch: There's a sexy Romulan sister, she dies at the end of the season but by that point --
Stewart: I've seen it all!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah the biggest problem with B5's cast is that the best actors are not in the main cast.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah the biggest problem with B5's cast is that the best actors are not in the main cast.

some might make the same claim about DS9

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

The Bloop posted:

some might make the same claim about DS9

I don't think DS9 had quite the stark difference the way B5 did, though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If you say anything bad about Nana Visitor I will have an epileptic fit.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

If you say anything bad about Nana Visitor I will have an epileptic fit.

Nah, she's great. Most of them are. Farrell and Siddig, ehhhh.

But Alaimo, Robinson, and Combs are some serious fan favorites.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Early Farrell was a bit shaky but she grew well into the role, Siddig always delivered a good performance imo though

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I cut Ferrell slack since even the producers have said that they struggled with what to do with the character. I definitely think by the second season she kind of figures out what she wanted to do with the role.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

pyrotek posted:

I know, I've always wished they'd animate it or something, but the story is probably in rights hell.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I wish the recordings would leak at least. It'd be nice to hear what they had.

Unrelated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbgUnMa8_R4

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I've checked back a page or two, is the thread aware that the episode titles for DISCO 3 are out?

I just checked on them. This is the highlight:

Episode 4: Unification III

Can't wait for the trainwreck.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jeffrey Combs is the most influential star trek actor who has never been title credits cast

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Lister posted:

I can't put into words quite why seeing that title in that context makes me laugh but it does

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Lister posted:

I really really hope this isn't what I think it is :goofy:

Just leave it buried, no sense in digging up the past.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Lister posted:

Where are you guys seeing these? I can’t find anything on the usual reliable sites. Typically they’ll only announce the episodes titles three at a time and they’ll promote the hell out of them on the show’s official social media accounts.

Ed: Nevermind, I found them. The article claims his source is a writer for TheGWW, and that site is pure bullshit clickbait, so I’d be extremely skeptical about these titles until they’re backed up by someone more reliable.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 21, 2020

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for that, I honestly don't have the energy to try to parse who is full of poo poo out there these days with this stuff anymore

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tighclops posted:

Thanks for that, I honestly don't have the energy to try to parse who is full of poo poo out there these days with this stuff anymore

CBS Trek in general is pretty locked down from leaks so usually only TrekMovie, TrekCore, the official show accounts, and occasionally the cast/crew are reliable sources of info.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
For what it's worth I also read about the episode title list where the source says the info is from someone who is connected to Netflix backend data.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arglebargle III posted:

G'Kar and Londo are absolutely main cast. Do you mean to say the best actors are not EarthForce?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Haha well I guess we all know exactly who we're talking about.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Where can I find them? I spent three minutes searching on Google and Reddit and I could've spent longer, but it'll probably be faster to get it from here

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well dang thanks! I didn't realize this was actually a thing! Goons are so great--

I will loving MURDER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Simon Pegg needs to get fired from his job at the comic book store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpb1OXvNNMc