Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Glenn Quebec posted:

That looks like complete poo poo

It ticks all the MMO boxes agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

Glenn Quebec posted:

That looks like complete poo poo

https://medium.com/@kaitave/whatever-happened-to-pathfinder-online-anyway-addd9ee51c81

Chris Roberts prototype is the main antagonist of above piece

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

It ticks all the MMO boxes agreed

I was looking at some videos of Warcraft, and while the current game looks basically fine (my dislike for its overall graphical style aside), it's kind of stunning just how utterly, repulsively dogshit the original release looked. And I don't mean polygon count, it's like the entire art direction was done by a five year old. There's a forest where the grass and trees are sort of realistically textured, but the buildings are much more cartoonish. Also the grass is a dull green, the trees are coloured with what can only be described as yellow-brown diarrhea, and the buildings are a florescent grey with neon blue roofing.

Meanwhile the on-screen text is all in bright, clashing neon colours but with no border and a tiny size, so it simultaneously blends in and stands out in the worst way possible. It's a triumph of bad design.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I was looking at some videos of Warcraft, and while the current game looks basically fine (my dislike for its overall graphical style aside), it's kind of stunning just how utterly, repulsively dogshit the original release looked. And I don't mean polygon count, it's like the entire art direction was done by a five year old. There's a forest where the grass and trees are sort of realistically textured, but the buildings are much more cartoonish. Also the grass is a dull green, the trees are coloured with what can only be described as yellow-brown diarrhea, and the buildings are a florescent grey with neon blue roofing.

Meanwhile the on-screen text is all in bright, clashing neon colours but with no border and a tiny size, so it simultaneously blends in and stands out in the worst way possible. It's a triumph of bad design.

Stunningly bad take. In an mmo sea of generic fantasy and horribly aging graphics you are going after original world of Warcraft. Amazing.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Comrayn posted:

Stunningly bad take. In an mmo sea of generic fantasy and horribly aging graphics you are going after original world of Warcraft. Amazing.

WoW, the game that received near-universal acclaim for its stylized art style that allowed the game to look good without being too demanding to run well on a wide range of hardware.

Wasn't a big part of its original success the fact that people could play it on just about any computer they had at hand?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

well this cursed subforum did trick me into buying LO so there's that

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
here's my 2020 take: wow is cartoons

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kaysette posted:

It's not cartoons, dad! It's a stylized art style that allowed the game to look good without being too demanding to run well on a wide range of hardware! SHUT UP DAD! IT'S NOT CARTOONS!

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Kaysette posted:

Agreed are you saying this like it's a negative though?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Kaysette posted:

The worst part was all those mmos and regular video games that copied the potato pc friendly design, even dungeons and dragons borrowed it for 4th edition and they were just books! It became synonymous with generic fantasy design from the mid oughts to now.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
If you compare WoW to something like Age Of Conan I think Blizzard did exactly the right thing because going Ultra Realistic does not age well at all and WoW still looks fine

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

My only problem is I wish it looked more like wc2.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can I just get a remaster of Guild Wars 1 or something

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I still think about Ultima Online 2.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

the teaser video was pretty catchy

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

If you compare WoW to something like Age Of Conan I think Blizzard did exactly the right thing because going Ultra Realistic does not age well at all and WoW still looks fine

wow looked so bad at launch i refused to play it on grounds of the graphics alone

it aged better than ~realistic~ graphics, because it was already compost at release

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Truga posted:

wow looked so bad at launch i refused to play it on grounds of the graphics alone

it aged better than ~realistic~ graphics, because it was already compost at release

Movement design is what wow did better than all other mmos of its time, imo. Ok graphics sucked but they were based on the clunky W3 aesthetic people were accustomed to...so warcraft fans weren't phased at all as long as they could sport big rear end shoulder pads and swords on their characters.

Which reminds me, WIldstar also had pretty rad movement design, real smooth iirc

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i dunno about movement design, but wow is still another target+hotkey like MMO to me, where you hit poo poo with hotkeys and only move so as to not stand in fire, and this form of combat got perfected by gw1 IMO. sure the combat is still just as crappy there, but at least there's a thousand hours of theorycrafting you can do for your special snowflake builds, and the hotbars never bloat to 3 billion buttons, and eschewed the gear treadmill.

and while fights did get fairly involved after a while to compensate for the static combat style, so far the only mmo i've seen that pulled this off correctly is FF14. mostly because poo poo gets telegraphed properly pretty much everywhere and the telegraphs are stylized to plug into the boss aesthetics. also sometimes the fight even gets synced to the BGM which I don't think any other MMO tried and it's the best, though this hasn't been done recently which makes me sad.

OTOH i've been playing black desert online for over two weeks straight now only taking breaks to raid in ff14 (thanks, corona) and i'm still having fun, despite the only PVE combat content being overworld grind on a bunch of enemies with no purpose and some lovely bosses thrown around it. kinda reminds me of my RO grinding days, really.

a stark contrast compared to other online games i enjoy like DDO or FF14 where pve is effectively 100% instanced dungeon/raid content. I have no idea what it is about the combat/grind, but it's just.. fun. there's nothing super special about it (ok, the combat system is pretty out there for a mmo, but TERA did that too and i never bothered getting past level 20 or so), but it just works so well and i have no idea why. i'm glad it was free on steam because otherwise i'd never have tried it.

it'll probably stop being fun after a couple hundred more hours because i'll have seen everything the game has to offer though, since it's not a big budget mmo with constant big patches like ff14, nor does it have any dynamism to its world, like gw2 events. maybe if the pvp is good enough, but that's a steep hill to climb to get to gear parity with people after 6 years of the game being out. :rip: lmao

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Truga posted:

i dunno about movement design, but wow is still another target+hotkey like MMO to me, where you hit poo poo with hotkeys and only move so as to not stand in fire, and this form of combat got perfected by gw1 IMO. sure the combat is still just as crappy there, but at least there's a thousand hours of theorycrafting you can do for your special snowflake builds, and the hotbars never bloat to 3 billion buttons, and eschewed the gear treadmill.

and while fights did get fairly involved after a while to compensate for the static combat style, so far the only mmo i've seen that pulled this off correctly is FF14. mostly because poo poo gets telegraphed properly pretty much everywhere and the telegraphs are stylized to plug into the boss aesthetics. also sometimes the fight even gets synced to the BGM which I don't think any other MMO tried and it's the best, though this hasn't been done recently which makes me sad.

OTOH i've been playing black desert online for over two weeks straight now only taking breaks to raid in ff14 (thanks, corona) and i'm still having fun, despite the only PVE combat content being overworld grind on a bunch of enemies with no purpose and some lovely bosses thrown around it. kinda reminds me of my RO grinding days, really.

a stark contrast compared to other online games i enjoy like DDO or FF14 where pve is effectively 100% instanced dungeon/raid content. I have no idea what it is about the combat/grind, but it's just.. fun. there's nothing super special about it (ok, the combat system is pretty out there for a mmo, but TERA did that too and i never bothered getting past level 20 or so), but it just works so well and i have no idea why. i'm glad it was free on steam because otherwise i'd never have tried it.

it'll probably stop being fun after a couple hundred more hours because i'll have seen everything the game has to offer though, since it's not a big budget mmo with constant big patches like ff14, nor does it have any dynamism to its world, like gw2 events. maybe if the pvp is good enough, but that's a steep hill to climb to get to gear parity with people after 6 years of the game being out. :rip: lmao

BDO stops being fun when the grind starts to make you feel that the grind in Lineage was reasonable.

Unless they have change the "failstacking' enchanting mechanics, it's an absolute deal breaker to me for the enjoyment of what little end game there is. Trying to get my gear to PEN is what made the quit BDO and never look back. Nevermind the horribly economy, fishing bots and "never turn your pc off" factor....

Tera combat was really fun but the community and the art style of the game was just...cringy. I can't play an MMO where in every town there is what looks like a 9 year old girl in a stripper outfit trying to sell "GFE"....and the devs seemed to be onboard with it because they loved to advertise these outfits in their game shop.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
AFAIK, the biggest difference now is that you can simply grind poo poo for cash and buy the gear, and let other people kill their brain with the failstacking RNG bullshit. At least that what my friend who played a bit at launch tells me.

Also, from what i can tell from reading about it online, getting PEN gear is supposed to be a joke when people try to break their gear when ragequitting, rather than a thing you actively try to get/farm for and you're supposed to stop at TET?

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Mr. Pickles posted:

Movement design is what wow did better than all other mmos of its time, imo. Ok graphics sucked but they were based on the clunky W3 aesthetic people were accustomed to...so warcraft fans weren't phased at all as long as they could sport big rear end shoulder pads and swords on their characters.

Which reminds me, WIldstar also had pretty rad movement design, real smooth iirc

It didn't age well, though, especially with the addition of mounts. Even after all these years, they never animated characters when mounted, so your stuck frozen still while you mount is moving. It's really jarring once you notice it.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Truga posted:

AFAIK, the biggest difference now is that you can simply grind poo poo for cash and buy the gear, and let other people kill their brain with the failstacking RNG bullshit. At least that what my friend who played a bit at launch tells me.

Also, from what i can tell from reading about it online, getting PEN gear is supposed to be a joke when people try to break their gear when ragequitting, rather than a thing you actively try to get/farm for and you're supposed to stop at TET?

Unless the market changed dramatically, buying gear was a nightmare itself as the market is price controlled by the game - meaning you couldn't sell your uber loot for 94 billion - just what the game told you it was worth. When I quit BDO I had more money than I could spend.

Meaning if you wanted a piece of gear, you ran an auction sniping bot and hoped for the best.

But yeah, you CAN stop at TET and you're at soft cap anyway - but I am broke brained and if you tell me "X is the max, but Y is good enough" I'm going to keep pushing for the max and then rage quit...which is what I did.

To be fair to BDO, by the time I rage quit, I had finished all the quests and gotten probably 500 hours out of actual playtime out of it - so I can't exactly say "Bad game don't play" - but at the same time had I know more about the enchanting aspect and botting aspect of the game, I probably wouldn't have touched it.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I'm having a lot of fun with BDO. I've only spent real money on a costume with the level 56 coupon thing, but I admittedly haven't gotten deep into grinding gear yet. I dunno if I will, to be honest, as long as I'm able to go around killing the stuff I want to kill.

FFXIV is still my main game if I want to min-max stuff. BDO fills this kind of chill "point yourself in a direction and go craft or something" niche that I've wanted for a while. Running around exploring and building a little trade path here and there is oddly relaxing, and the really good combat is just kind of a bonus. I can see why mix-maxers have issues with the p2w structure if you aren't cornering the markethouse, but it's been a great diversion from FF raids for me.

I dunno about auction sniping bots now, though. They've switched to a purchase order system. The game still sets the baseline prices for everything, but then orders are filled in the order they were made by players, so it's not spamming the buy button hoping to win anymore. You mostly just post in chat that you put up a buy order for something expensive and wait for someone to list it if there aren't any up. I have enough to buy a nice costume for an alt now, I think, but the only worry really is the necessity of the Value Pack, which can get kind of pricey if you don't want to pay real money for a sub every month and are still too new to be making a lot of gold.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 23, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

I think about it and Ultima X: Odyssey from time to time.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I can’t stop thinkin bout ultima, dudes

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Rexicon1 posted:

I can’t stop thinkin bout ultima, dudes

then play last oasis

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

Tempora Mutantur posted:

well this cursed subforum did trick me into buying LO so there's that

:same:

loving got

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
BDO is actually super loving fun and is probably the most "evolved" MMO out there right now.

Complaining about the grind is hilarious because it's 100% optional and there are limitless ways to play the game and make money. If you go into it with the mindset of "I am playing this to max my gear/character" and then decide to grind to get there, you have only yourself to blame for the burnout.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
There's no reason to coop or quest together. Everything felt very isolated

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Glenn Quebec posted:

There's no reason to coop or quest together. Everything felt very isolated

really the only group stuff is generally PVP, which if you ask me, is how it should be. I don't really get my rocks off going up against ai scripts with lots of HP with friends

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I went around with a small party earlier today doing about 20 scrolls or something we had saved up. It was pretty fun, and we were all strangers. Like any MMO, it's whatever you make of it. I do wish our Goon Guild was a bit more active, but be the change you wanna see and all that.

My enjoyment went up a ton when I learned about Group chat and the newbie group. It's super friendly and doesn't have the dumbassery of Server or World chat, so it's been a good way to talk to people while I wander. The only problem is they have player limits, so you won't always auto-join the different groups and have to manually try loading into it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think about it and Ultima X: Odyssey from time to time.

I want EA to bring back Ultima as a gently caress you to Richard Garriot.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I said come in! posted:

I want EA to bring back Ultima as a gently caress you to Richard Garriot.

I was excited for Ultima X: Odyssey because it was the first MMO that said it was going to have real time/action combat which was what I always from an MMO back then.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Enkmar posted:

really the only group stuff is generally PVP, which if you ask me, is how it should be. I don't really get my rocks off going up against ai scripts with lots of HP with friends

I wouldn't know. Didn't grind high enough to be PvP viable

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

nah, a multiplayer game should absolutely reward going into zones with friends. luckily, it seems like they're starting to do that with recent zones? i got through kamasylvia with main quests now and there's a couple zones there with 2-5 recommended party size

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Absolutely amazed by people defending BDO

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's probably a bad game later on, but after about a month i'm still having a ton of fun playing with friends. also, the fact that i can buy premium items from other players with ingame cash owns, though the items are only really available when on sale

wish i could use gil in ff14 to buy mog station poo poo from whales, especially considering how it's doing the shittiest option of both having a sub + selling ingame items

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Oh yeah that's a sign of a good game

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

please knock Mom! posted:

Absolutely amazed by people defending BDO

I think its people who haven't gotten one shot in pvp by some gearlord yet. Give it time, everyone comes around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I bought BDO and it's the shittiest thing I have in my possession, and I bought Star Citizen