Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

RevolverDivider posted:

I suspect we are definitely going on a mandatory and heavily expanded trip through wutai. Maybe even go something like going right there from Junon

IIRC, wasn't the huge cannon in Junon explicitly pointing at Wutai or something? There's definitely supposed to be a connection to Junon being a huge fuckoff military fortress and the war with Wutai that doesn't make much geographical sense.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh yeah they've definitely been building up Wutai to be a larger presence in the story this time around, so we're definitely going there for more reasons than "this stupid ninja kid stole our materia"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah I fully expect it to lead with the flashback with Cloud narrating, with no leadup. It's definitely less bombastic but they can make Sephiroth fully playable to get people hooked

A full party of Cloud, Sephiroth, and "some officer".

Harrow posted:

Oh yeah they've definitely been building up Wutai to be a larger presence in the story this time around, so we're definitely going there for more reasons than "this stupid ninja kid stole our materia"

With how much they build up Wutai, I wonder if Yuffie will have a more important role in the story?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Rhonne posted:

A full party of Cloud, Sephiroth, and "some officer".

With how much they build up Wutai, I wonder if Yuffie will have a more important role in the story?

I could see her being an actual member of the wutai rebellion.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Her new theme was great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9duKtWesUk

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Probably both her and Vincent, yeah. Hell, they gave Vincent his own ill-advised spin-off game years ago, there's no way they won't expand his role in the remake. And Yuffie definitely, with all the new Wutai setup.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Weird personal aside:

For some reason, Yuffie's theme is powerfully nostalgic to me, even though I don't really have much affection for Yuffie as a character. But every time I hear it, I can never quite place it, for at least a minute or two. I remember a time a bunch of years ago when I heard Yuffie's theme in something unrelated and immediately recognized it even if I couldn't quite place it, but for some reason I felt this strong nostalgic pang in my heart. When I remembered what it was I was honestly confused.

Anyway that happened again when I stumbled across it in-game in the remake, and then again like a week later when I heard it in I think Jim Sterling's FF7R video, and both times I was like "aww man this is making me nostalgic" and "oh wait that's Yuffie's theme" like a minute apart.

It's weird.

Anyway I really like this theme

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
The OBJECTIVE RATING of All Bosses In FF7R Hard, Based on How Fun They Are to Fight, Objectively (You Cannot Disagree or You Are Wrong)
  • Scorpion Sentinel - 3/5
  • Roche - 2/5
  • Crab Warden - 4/5
  • Air Buster - 4/5
  • Reno - 3/5
  • Rude - 2/5
  • Hell House - 0/5
  • Abzu - 3/5
  • Ghoul - 2/5
  • Eligor - 0/5
  • Reno & Rude - 4/5
  • Failed Experiment - 2/5
  • Abzu 2 - 2/5
  • The Valkyrie - 4/5
  • H5012 - 3/5
  • Swordipede - 2/5
  • Rufus - 5/5
  • The Arsenal - 2/5
  • Jenova Dreamweaver - 5/5
  • Whisper Harbinger - 2/5
  • Sephiroth - 5/5
  • Shiva - 3/5
  • Fat Chocobo - 2/5
  • Leviathan - 1/5
  • Bahamut - 5/5
  • Malboro - 2/5
  • Bahamut 2 (feat. Ifrit) - 4/5
  • Pride and Joy Prototype - 2/5

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yuffie is totally going to steal all your junk at the start of the next game and conveniently lose it before she joins. In the third part, Cloud loses everything when he takes a dip in the lifestream. Bing bang boom now you get to grind for fira again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SettingSun posted:

Yuffie is totally going to steal all your junk at the start of the next game and conveniently lose it before she joins. In the third part, Cloud loses everything when he takes a dip in the lifestream. Bing bang boom now you get to grind for fira again.

quoting so I can find this when it's 100% correct

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder if Cait Sith will still have his big riding moogle with him. It's never shown up in any of the other spin offs/expanded material and he didn't have it in his brief cameo in this game either(which was kind of a weird inclusion considering we never see him again).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Turns out that instead of chasing Sephiroth, you're chasing Yuffie the entire game and she's the final boss of part 2.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

My guess is that there won't be any save transfer and they'll treat it like a standalone game. They might not even acknowledge you losing all your materia and equipment from the previous game, sorta Xenosaga-style. Otherwise there's really nowhere to grow from there. I'd guess since they're probably treating the future games as sequels, there'll probably be battle system refinements/changes and stuff, too, that would make things not necessarily translate directly if there was a save transfer anyway.

If there is a save transfer they might just give you a nice starting bonus for it, that kind of thing.

The real thing that the whispers were trying to keep in check was the level cap. With them dead, the level cap will expand beyond 99 and you can freely import your old save data :v:

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

At the very least I hope the sequel lets you keep your weapon skills from this game, and make them somehow available for everyone who didn't play the original later on. I don't care about the materia that much.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

SettingSun posted:

I've been thinking about how they're gonna do the Samus-dropped-all-her-powerups thing. I mean, I highly doubt there will be any stripe of save carryover - I hope there is, even if it's only to keep our storyline choices and chosen love interest (I went with Tifa again BTW, goddamn it) - so there's gonna have to be some kind of explanation as to why Cloud isn't level 50 anymore and you have basic bitch materia.

They could just actually start you off at level 50, have Yuffie steal all of your materia, and call it a day. This is kinda tidy in a way, because it doesn't really matter what level we start at as long as enemies are tuned appropriately (if we're both at level 50, aren't we both really at level 1? *adjusts glasses*) and it gives a believable excuse as to why we need to regather all of our materia and poo poo. I'd be basically fine with this.

They could offer no explanation at all. The party is level 1 and you have basic materia again. Honestly, I'd be okay with this, as well, probably. I've actually never really been too big of a fan of carrying over, like, character levels and loadouts from game to game. It's usually messy/clunky and ultimately limits the dev team in terms of what they can do for balance. "Yeah but if they played the first FF7R they're gonna have fuckin maxed-out HP Ups, broh, we need to make sure the boss deals 2k damage per hit!" is hyperbole but I think communicates the point.

They could actually include save carryover. I'd probably be basically fine with this too.

The radical answer is that actually the weapon skill system is getting a complete and total overhaul and the next game's battle system will be different enough to where a 1:1 save import wouldn't make any sense.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Starting at level 50 would be a little weird, but it's not like this game started you off at level 1 anyway.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I forget, did it do like the original where you immediately leveled up from 6 to 7

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I didn't really like Kojira Whisper as a boss fight, but I thought Sephiroth was great. The entire game sets you up to learn how to pull aggro off your dudes, and he is the king of picking out a dude and bullrushing the gently caress out of them.

Also I got to have Aerith drop a Thundega on his head, which was like 20 years of catharsis

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

IIRC you start out at level 6 (and level up to 7 in the first battle), but you're level 1 in the Nibelheim flashback.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

I didn't really like Kojira Whisper as a boss fight, but I thought Sephiroth was great. The entire game sets you up to learn how to pull aggro off your dudes, and he is the king of picking out a dude and bullrushing the gently caress out of them.

Also I got to have Aerith drop a Thundega on his head, which was like 20 years of catharsis

My aerith ate an octoslash and was knocked unconscious...

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I forget, did it do like the original where you immediately leveled up from 6 to 7

It did. The first fight immediately pops up "Cloud is now level 7," as soon as you finish it.

EDIT:
Aerith died in the same moment I landed my finishing blow on Sephiroth. It was very annoying, but also for some reason I thought it might have been scripted.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Just Andi Now posted:

Starting at level 50 would be a little weird, but it's not like this game started you off at level 1 anyway.

This is kinda my point. Cloud starting at level 6 (and immediately hitting level 7) has no meaningful gameplay purpose other than quickly alerting the player that there are levels and they can increase. That is such a staple of every goddamn videogame (not even just RPGs) at this point that I don't think you need to tutorialize it in any fashion. If we're level 50 but so is everything outside Midgar, who really cares, right.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'll be perfectly honest I do kinda think the timeghosts are kind of lol and hokey is just about the right word I'd use for them (lmao at them swarming Aerith for no discernible reason other than "she's not standing in the spot she needs to be in order to meet Cloud"), but I'm down with the shakeup and the changes were what got me excited about the remake to begin with.

Wonder if a lot of the divisiveness would've been defused if, instead of making a metafictional justification for things being different, things just... unfolded differently. And if you only started getting a "fighting fate" angle after the Avalanche crew survives the plate drop and Cloud starts having flashforwards to how it was supposed to go and starts putting two and two together. And then Aerith realizes it too and starts to have a rush of conflicting emotions, but mostly excitement, while the rest of the party is just glad their friends are okay.

Meanwhile the player would presumably be having the same reaction as Aerith at that exact moment.

The reveal that Sephiroth is actively loving with fate would presumably come after and serve to explain why things start to take a swerve later as the timeline continues to diverge. Just spitballing about what could've been.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

What level would players usually be around when they get out of Midgar in the original? Have you start off there.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Rhonne posted:

What level would players usually be around when they get out of Midgar in the original? Have you start off there.

That's like level 10 though and is pretty ludicrously low given the sub-series power structure. I don't think it matters a ton, but if you're gonna scale us back to 10, just bring us all the way back down to 1 (or 6 immediately hitting 7 again, whatever).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

They might well start us at like level 20-30 or something so it's not like "you're somehow single-digit levels again after all of that" but at the same time you're also not starting halfway through the leveling

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think 30 is a nice reasonable number for "experienced, but there's room to grow" but in that case it might as well be 50.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I finished the game at level 35. I don't know if that's typical but that's where I landed after doing the sidequests but not grinding or replaying on hard

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Clarste posted:

I think 30 is a nice reasonable number for "experienced, but there's room to grow" but in that case it might as well be 50.

that and they won't have to tweak the level curve as much if they ever do the "all-in-one" version in fifteen years

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Just up the level cap by 51 each game. That way you can properly be Level 255 by the end of part 5.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

guts and bolts posted:

I honestly hope that for the sake of tonal consistency that they omit Hojo from the beach. I get it, ha ha, and the meme potential is off the charts, but the OG FF7's second-largest sin in my view is trying to get you to sympathize with (or find comedy in) its villains even when that is wildly, grotesquely inappropriate. Hojo is kill on sight. He is, as Flopsy put it, one of "... the most revolting character[s] to ever grace a video game." He tries to murder your party multiple times, considered/attempted to rape-breed Aerith, has committed God-only-knows how many crimes against humanity that we don't even see, and we eventually discover that he is basically directly responsible for all of the most odious tragedies in the FF7 narrative. He impregnates Lucretia then experiments on their unborn baby, who eventually becomes Sephiroth, and then when Vincent objects to this goddamn travesty Hojo guns him down and conducts crazy-rear end science on his corpse. When Hojo's colleague Gast grows a conscience and tries to flee Shinra with Ifalna and Aerith, the last surviving Cetra on the Planet, Hojo murders Gast and kidnaps Ifalna and Aerith. Ifalna eventually loving dies as a result of trying to escape him.

Like, he is the worst possible human. People in the thread were annoyed with how the Turks got let off the hook, and at least Hojo loving dies, but that scene in Costa del Sol with him sucks.

They could easily keep the meme while also having the party watch him from afar and going "man it would be awesome to kill him now but there's a ship packed with soldiers and tanks and who knows what else right over there and it would suck to get caught now after we went through all the trouble of putting Red XIII on a sailor suit"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Remake has laid the groundwork for Red XIII to be disguised as Stamp

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Remake has laid the groundwork for Red XIII to be disguised as Stamp

I would riot if his disguise isn't faithfully recreated

keep aerith alive, kill cloud, replace meteor with johnny's giant face, whatever. Keep sailor suit red.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Xarbala posted:

I'll be perfectly honest I do kinda think the timeghosts are kind of lol and hokey is just about the right word I'd use for them (lmao at them swarming Aerith for no discernible reason other than "she's not standing in the spot she needs to be in order to meet Cloud"), but I'm down with the shakeup and the changes were what got me excited about the remake to begin with.

Wonder if a lot of the divisiveness would've been defused if, instead of making a metafictional justification for things being different, things just... unfolded differently. And if you only started getting a "fighting fate" angle after the Avalanche crew survives the plate drop and Cloud starts having flashforwards to how it was supposed to go and starts putting two and two together. And then Aerith realizes it too and starts to have a rush of conflicting emotions, but mostly excitement, while the rest of the party is just glad their friends are okay.

Meanwhile the player would presumably be having the same reaction as Aerith at that exact moment.

The reveal that Sephiroth is actively loving with fate would presumably come after and serve to explain why things start to take a swerve later as the timeline continues to diverge. Just spitballing about what could've been.

final fantasy VII has so much cultural cachet, not just with its audience but also with its creators, that i can sort of understand the development team making a megabudget boss battle out of what is almost literally the original game's canon

hell, yoko taro got a 15-minute rhythm section when he wrote an ending with a horde of polite android shopkeepers conspiring to murder his breakout game's canon story, so why not

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I would riot if his disguise isn't faithfully recreated

keep aerith alive, kill cloud, replace meteor with johnny's giant face, whatever. Keep sailor suit red.

I just hope Barret still looks like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

I honestly think that having you start at 50 with basic materia because Yuffie stole the rest works fine. Like maybe you don't literally only have Fire, Lightning, and Healing, but all your materia is at entry level and you're given a little more room to experiment. (You get to start with a Magnify, an Elemental, the full suite of elemental magic, and Healing/Revival.) FF7R, in its devotion to the source material, straight up locks you out of materia loadout customization until Chapter 2, and weapon skills and levels are gated behind Chapter 3; in the sequel that should hopefully not be necessary, assuming the battle system undergoes relatively little change.

I think they could make weapon skills somewhat more precise, though. And the game also does a sorta weird thing wherein characters have both unique actions mapped to Triangle but also innate abilities not tied to any weapon - Cloud's Braver just is a thing he knows rather than something he got from the Buster Sword, as an example. I think weapon skills should be streamlined, but not homogenized. In Part 2, Cloud keeps Braver, Focused Thrust, Disorder, and Blade Burst, but Infinity's End and Counterstance strike me as kinda redundant (just make Braver his "do a lot of damage in a hurry" skill, and Counterstance is just souped-up Punisher countering anyway, so they can safely get cut).

Delineate character roles even further - not quite to FFX's extremes, but something like that. The original four are aaaaalmost the same, in my head - Cloud is your premiere guy for staggering enemies and pouring in damage, and functions as a backup caster, but he can't increase the bonus at all. Barret is ranged and can create ATB on demand, and many of his abilities scale in effect based on how much ATB they consume, but he doesn't really stagger and he doesn't jack up bonus damage. Tifa jacks up the bonus damage percentage once an enemy has been staggered and builds ATB quickly but sucks at staggering and her raw damage output is lower than Cloud's. Aerith is a support caster and has the fastest cast times (she will execute a Curaga faster than anyone else would), but she's fragile as heck.

Then make the new additions fill in the gaps of these roles. Red XIII's unique action is to cycle through different tattoos/brands/buffs, like Monado arts for Shulk in Xenoblade Chronicles or some poo poo. He can emphasize any one job (strong-but-slow boy, quick-but-weaker boy, caster-but-vulnerable boy) by boosting some of his parameters and making all the rest weaker. Yuffie's unique action is a ninja teleport that does different things depending on which button you press while it is being executed (Square for a strong melee attack, Triangle for a fan of shuriken, Circle for an evasive flip, Cross to do none of those things and instead build some ATB). She is ranged and can build stagger but does less damage than Cloud or Tifa. Cait Sith's unique action is that he is a bard and will sing songs, passively buffing the entire party, based on which megaphone he has equipped. While singing he can still act, but he can't move until you cancel the song or get knocked back/knocked down. Give him like a Regen song, a Berserk song, an everyone-gets-fractional-amounts-of-Limit-every-second song, that sort of poo poo.

Cid and Vincent won't be until part 3, book it

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Goddammit I really want part 2 now.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

guts and bolts posted:

I think they could make weapon skills somewhat more precise, though. And the game also does a sorta weird thing wherein characters have both unique actions mapped to Triangle but also innate abilities not tied to any weapon - Cloud's Braver just is a thing he knows rather than something he got from the Buster Sword, as an example. I think weapon skills should be streamlined, but not homogenized. In Part 2, Cloud keeps Braver, Focused Thrust, Disorder, and Blade Burst, but Infinity's End and Counterstance strike me as kinda redundant (just make Braver his "do a lot of damage in a hurry" skill, and Counterstance is just souped-up Punisher countering anyway, so they can safely get cut).

You'll have to pry Infinity's End from my cold, dead fingers. :colbert:

(Your new character ideas ain't bad, though)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
when i first saw Red crack off Stardust Ray my brain went "OH MY GOD HE'S DOING THE THIIIIIIING"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

guts and bolts posted:

The OBJECTIVE RATING of All Bosses In FF7R Hard, Based on How Fun They Are to Fight, Objectively (You Cannot Disagree or You Are Wrong)
  • Scorpion Sentinel - 3/5
  • Roche - 2/5
  • Crab Warden - 4/5
  • Air Buster - 4/5
  • Reno - 3/5
  • Rude - 2/5
  • Hell House - 0/5
  • Abzu - 3/5
  • Ghoul - 2/5
  • Eligor - 0/5
  • Reno & Rude - 4/5
  • Failed Experiment - 2/5
  • Abzu 2 - 2/5
  • The Valkyrie - 4/5
  • H5012 - 3/5
  • Swordipede - 2/5
  • Rufus - 5/5
  • The Arsenal - 2/5
  • Jenova Dreamweaver - 5/5
  • Whisper Harbinger - 2/5
  • Sephiroth - 5/5
  • Shiva - 3/5
  • Fat Chocobo - 2/5
  • Leviathan - 1/5
  • Bahamut - 5/5
  • Malboro - 2/5
  • Bahamut 2 (feat. Ifrit) - 4/5
  • Pride and Joy Prototype - 2/5

depending on how you see the scale, hell house was like a 2/5 compared to bosses in other games but yeah. the sephiroth fight had me going buckwild. i also liked the whisper harbinger/whisper bahamut even though it was so easy that i felt i could fall asleep in parts of it, just because of how cool it was seeing barret and nanaki fire off combo limit breaks every time you staggered it

guts and bolts posted:

Cid and Vincent won't be until part 3, book it

i think this game might end up having 4 parts at this pace honestly... unless the other parts are way longer or something