Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Len posted:

The motor is a $10 replacement if you still have it. Probably not prime shipping right now but you can get them there dirt cheap

I think I tossed it. It was kinda scratched up too so I should probably just get a new one. Good point though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Welp, I am buying the third "Scratch Lounger" for my cat Jackie that I've had to buy in like... the last 10 years. It feels a bit silly to be paying $30 for cardboard and catnip, but Jackie loves it SO much, and when I tried making my own it just... was very difficult and she did not like it nearly as much :(

So I have another Scratch Lounger coming. I actually sincerely feel bad, because she hasnt really had anywhere to like, scratch on/sharpen her claws. But instead of using the leather couch of our gracious host, she has just abstained from scratching ANYTHING except my blanket from back home while inside, and when I take her outside for supervised fun-time, she always spends a solid 2 minutes kneading/scratching on the welcome mat. I'm mostly just DEEPLY impressed at her restraint, but I feel like bad owner for not getting her something sooner.

These are the sorts of things that really impress me about Jackie, just how she always stays out of trouble, and rarely (if ever) allows her curiosity to overcome her common sense. She also is extremely responsive to language and tones of voice, and she is transparent enough in body language that I can almost always read her intention or what she is "saying". So when she's about to get into trouble, I can pretty easily just be like, "JACKIE, don't you even THINK about it!" And she will look at my balefully and approach me with her tail up and her eyes down xD It's too cute, sometimes. She reminds me so much of my family's Weimeraner, Freda, whom we had when I was young, which probably isn't a coincidence as when Jackie was at my dad's for her first 3-4 years, Freda the big awkward dog was her best friend and cuddlebuddy.

edit: I have been trying not to make annoyingly tedious and poorly written posts about my cat... But I still cannot reiterate enough what a tremendous source of stability and strength, and how calming her presence always is for me. I can't imagine surviving this coronavirus thing without here - she continues to bring meaning and color and love into my life, and I feel so absurdly lucky to have a cat who does not truly know how to be mean or annoying or aggressive.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 22, 2020

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Looking for some advice on handling our new kitty who is turning out to be quite the handful! It may just be part of settling in, and getting used to us and our other cat, and we’re trying to read her body language regarding petting and when to stop. She will take swipes at us pretty frequently, often a warning but sometimes drawing blood and not always related to us petting her. One of the issues is that she likes to plonk herself down right in the middle of what we are doing (playing a board game, working on a computer etc) and will fairly aggressively resist attempts to move her, including biting. Sometimes she’ll like us walking with her, and sometimes will seem to get freaked out very suddenly and the ears go back and she growls/warns.

We’re going to get some feliway but any other tips much appreciated! All our other cats have been much more chill. We’re going to try more active playtime in case it’s about attention or boredom.

Edit: she's not a total monster cat, she's currently purring away chilled out on top of our sofa, and loves head scritches in the morning and being brushed. As with all cats I guess it's things very much on her own terms.

Robot Mil fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 22, 2020

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Dixville posted:

I bought the CatIT plastic fountain and it lasted a few years before the motor burned out. Those fountains are much nicer looking!

Ah yeah I should note that the motor on our stainless one burnt out after like 4 or 5 years? Can’t get a perfect replacement motor, but we found one similar enough that it works. Still, 5 years out of a <$100 fountain that our 2 cats constantly dunk their paws in is pretty good, especially considering how seldom we clean it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
We have cat that's about 10 months old, have we missed the bus on getting another car for it to play with/hang out with?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

We have cat that's about 10 months old, have we missed the bus on getting another car for it to play with/hang out with?

Nah. Cats adapt and learn to get along at any age.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It's definitely easier to get two cats together at the same time, but at 10 months you've got one older rear end in a top hat kitten who will be likely happy to have another rear end in a top hat kitten to play with. Standard advice in the OP still applies but I wouldn't be surprised if you end up skipping a bunch of steps.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Foster/Rescue Megathread moves slow as gently caress, even for PI which is already a slow forum, so I’m crossposting here in the hope that I get more eyeballs.

I just now found some newborn kittens in my backyard and I need help caring for them.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Set up a cage with food near where you found them and if a momma cat appears in it throw her and the babies in a bigger cage/room.

https://cats.lovetoknow.com/Newborn_Kittens

Says around 85-90 F. Layering towels depends on the type you got.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Gaj posted:

Set up a cage with food near where you found them and if a momma cat appears in it throw her and the babies in a bigger cage/room.

https://cats.lovetoknow.com/Newborn_Kittens

Says around 85-90 F. Layering towels depends on the type you got.

I’m pretty sure I know who their mother, or at least who their main caretaker, is. Fortunately, it’s the one cat out of the group of strays living around my house that actually lets us pet her(him?). That particular cat has been holed up in a box in our garage looking after a new litter of kittens for about a week now.

I’m wondering if I should try to give these kittens back to her, but I’m worried that if they were abandoned, doing that will lead to them getting abandoned again and I won’t be able to find them next time. Please advise.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’ve never had two cats that actually got along well together no matter how carefully I introduce them.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I don’t suppose there’s a good heating pad for kittens that DOESN’T have a drat auto shutoff, is there?

I can handle feedings every 2 hours, but having to turn a heating pad back on every one hour is about to give me a conniption. :argh:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Yeah, there are pet specific low wattage heating pads. I have a couple that I move around and make makeshift beds out of.

https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Products-Bed-Warmer-Small/dp/B001AZSR68

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Boogalo posted:

Yeah, there are pet specific low wattage heating pads. I have a couple that I move around and make makeshift beds out of.

https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Products-Bed-Warmer-Small/dp/B001AZSR68

Amazon.com posted:

FREE delivery: Friday, May 1

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH no gently caress that

I need this poo poo TODAY

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I. M. Gei posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH no gently caress that

I need this poo poo TODAY

That particular brand has their own website (https://www.khpet.com) where you can order from them directly over the phone. I don't know if they could offer expedited shipping right now or not.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I ordered something from PetSmart with next day shipping.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm hoping you guys can help me out with something. My mom has two cats, both of whom recently got a ton of fleas. She gave them Advantage, which drove the fleas off the cats, but now she has fleas in her house. She's taken up all the rugs, washed all the bed linens, cleaned the whole house as best she could, but she's still seeing fleas. naturally she's stuck inside so she can't use a flea bomb or anything like that. And since she just gave both cats Advantage and one of them is pretty old, she's worried that too much anti-flea poisons in the environment could hurt the cats. What can she do to kill the fleas that is completely safe for her cats and herself?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The unfortunate answer is that short of extremely invasive insecticide treatments that can't be done while people are living in it, there is no real way to get fleas out of a house quickly. :(

Here are the things she can do to make it go as quickly as possible given the situation:

1. Make sure both the cats are protected by topicals, and do not lapse on applying them on whatever schedule the box says.

2. Vacuum as much of the floor as she can every day, carpets and rugs in particular.. As much as she's able, you also want to move furniture and vacuum underneath it. Fleas like dark places and can squeeze through very tiny cracks, so they often live and lay their eggs in places you won't reach by vacuuming without also moving stuff, like under dressers, desks, or bedframes. Once she's done she should empty the vacuum into an outside trash can immediately so that if it sucked up any eggs they don't hatch inside.

3. Also wash or vacuum any upholstered couches or chairs, throw pillows, etc.

4. Wash bed linens daily in hot water. If she doesn't fleas will quickly set up shop there and bite her while she sleeps. Also I speak from experience that waking up to flea larva on your pillow is not a pleasant feeling.

5. When around the house wear high socks and long pants, and tuck the bottoms of the pants into the socks. It makes you look like an idiot but it prevents fleas from jumping up off the floor to bite your ankles.

It sucks and is a ton of work but if she sticks with it then the population should die down enough that she doesn't "see" fleas within a week, and they should be mostly gone from the house within 2-3 weeks. It took me a little over a month to get them out of mine when Mel got them.

e. Also if she's getting bitten while she sleeps even after washing the linens, I found that applying Off! or any other insect repellent that explicitly says it works for ticks and fleas to exposed skin just before laying down for bed seemed to work for a full night's sleep.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 23, 2020

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I have a behavior question: just spayed my cat, its been 3 weeks and cones off. Everything is nice and healed and she has returned to normal kitten behavior. However while she wants to play, she does not find any of her toys intriguing anymore. Literally none of them capture her attention, she doesnt care for her 2 wants, her multiple mice, or her wrestle-pillows. Nothing hooks her, be it throwing, dangled, or shaken. I ordered some more stuff from chewy and Imma buy a bunch tomorrow when I brave the plague, but should this be a concern? She just comes up to me and cries, not wanting pets or to play with anything she used to love 3 weeks ago.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I find that once my cats' toys smell like them, they are no longer interested. She'll probably like the new ones you get.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Hawkperson posted:

I find that once my cats' toys smell like them, they are no longer interested. She'll probably like the new ones you get.

Would a cheaper, longer term solution be just throwing her soft toys in the wash? Right now the only thing that captures her interest are straws and my bottle of zyrtec

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cat.exe working as intended

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hawkperson posted:

Glitch at 2 years old is still fetching crumpled up pieces of paper. Receipts from the shops are her favourite for some reason.
She loves the way they skitter across the tiles and she can chase them :3:

Then she'll pick them up and drop them at my feet to throw again :3:

In fact we're playing right now with an envelope!
https://i.imgur.com/rWSywPr.mp4

-------------------------

In other Glitch news the water fountain has arrived and I've set it up in the bathtub to get her used to the concept. I haven't managed to catch her using it yet, but she's also not dead; so I'm assuming she's drinking :v:

I love my lovely little nightmare daughter :allears:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sorry not sure why imgur is showing it as huge when I encoded it to be small :argh:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Gripweed posted:

What can she do to kill the fleas that is completely safe for her cats and herself?

If her cats aren't bothered by cedar and she doesn't have any small animals like gerbils or rabbits, then spreading a pack of cedar horse bedding around the house, leaving it for a day, and then vacuuming it up can drive away fleas. I've used it to good effect a couple of times now. You can get a large pack of it cheaply from a farm supply store.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 24, 2020

Necrofiliate
Apr 3, 2011

C:\>YOURPOST.EXE
ERROR: 0x0BAD
Abort, Retry, Fail?:ovr:
Just got a cat spayed and the day after she still seems like shes in heat, is this normal? Ive read they can still have left over ovarian tissue, should I wait for a bit or is it a concern right now?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Necrofiliate posted:

Just got a cat spayed and the day after she still seems like shes in heat, is this normal? Ive read they can still have left over ovarian tissue, should I wait for a bit or is it a concern right now?

Aleta got spayed in the middle of her second heat and it took her about 24 hours after she came home to stop flirting with the coatrack.

She also was so mad at the vet and tried very hard to yowl in rage, but ended up making the saddest little sustained squeak ever. :3:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I can’t find any vet that is still doing neuters. I already was worried sick about even doing it with his heart murmur and wanted to not have that hanging over my head already but looks like it will be for a long while longer.

I just want him to be less bitey :mad:

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Thread, meet our newest addition, Percy (~14 weeks, male)

He's a total derp and purrs like a jet engine after about two pats. He also loves licking us while we pet him, and has unprompted come up and started licking our feet, which is weird but whatever.

Thus far our existing cat, Olive (4y.o., female, below), has slowly come up a bunch of times and had a couple of hisses before running away and hiding under our bed before coming out again. No swiping, nothing more than that.

Olive first hissed at us when our hands smelled of Percy, but she's stopped that now. She got as many parts as she wanted last night before bed and she slept in her regular bed until about 5 am.

She's been inquisitive and has gone into Percy's current room for a big ol' sniff with no issues.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 28, 2020

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

So just had an issue.

We have Eartha, almost 4, and we've had the kitten Mochi for about 6 months, she'll be one in the summer.

Eartha doesn't like Mochi much, but tolerates her, but today a new cat we've not seen in the neighbourhood before was by the window, and Eartha was screeching at it to get it to go away, and since then she's acting like that with Mochi too.

Has something just upset Eartha and we need to give her some time/space, or has this fully reset them to square 1, except instead of a tiny kitten that fits in my hand we're doing it with a nearly 1 year old?

e; had a quick google and looks like it may be some form of redirected aggression, any suggestions on how that can be handled?

double edit; I've been advised by my SO who looked at the thread that Eartha is in fact 5 and I'm a bad cat dad

mehall fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 28, 2020

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

mehall posted:

So just had an issue.

We have Eartha, almost 4, and we've had the kitten Mochi for about 6 months, she'll be one in the summer.

Eartha doesn't like Mochi much, but tolerates her, but today a new cat we've not seen in the neighbourhood before was by the window, and Eartha was screeching at it to get it to go away, and since then she's acting like that with Mochi too.

Has something just upset Eartha and we need to give her some time/space, or has this fully reset them to square 1, except instead of a tiny kitten that fits in my hand we're doing it with a nearly 1 year old?

e; had a quick google and looks like it may be some form of redirected aggression, any suggestions on how that can be handled?

double edit; I've been advised by my SO who looked at the thread that Eartha is in fact 5 and I'm a bad cat dad

Could definitely be redirected aggression. That can be tough to deal with. I think you may have to separate them for a few days as best as you can, to keep things from escalating, then reintroduce them with positive reinforcement (treats, possibly toys). If you aren't already using Feliway it may be worth a try too. They have a Feliway multicat now that is supposed to be good for multi cat issues. Worst comes to worst you may have to consult with a vet, sometimes medications can help if behavioral modification doesn't work alone.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m wondering if I should try to give these kittens back to her, but I’m worried that if they were abandoned, doing that will lead to them getting abandoned again and I won’t be able to find them next time. Please advise.

So I posted at you in the foster thread but if you DO know where the mom cat (or even just A mom cat who is still nursing) is then they will usually accept orphaned kittens without complaint. "Cats can't count" is a well known joke among fosters. That said you don't want to put newborns in among kittens that are much older than them or they won't be able to fight for milk on fair terms. In feral colonies there's often some cats who will play nursemaid and help a mom cat (watching the babies while she hunts, cleaning/pottying them or feeding them if it's a sister mom cat.) It seems like you've been doing pretty well with the little squeakers though. Just thought I'd throw out some info because people think of cats as solitary but they can actually be quite cooperative.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

mehall posted:

So just had an issue.

This definitely sounds like redirected aggression to me. The one time it happened to us, under basically the same circumstances (one of our dudes saw an Enemy Cat and lost his poo poo at our other cat and also at us for hours), it stopped on its own after maybe 12 hours; still, best to keep an eye on her for a while and probably keep Mochi away from her just to prevent attacks until Eartha calms down.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

This definitely sounds like redirected aggression to me. The one time it happened to us, under basically the same circumstances (one of our dudes saw an Enemy Cat and lost his poo poo at our other cat and also at us for hours), it stopped on its own after maybe 12 hours; still, best to keep an eye on her for a while and probably keep Mochi away from her just to prevent attacks until Eartha calms down.

Thanks to the lockdown we're home all the time, so able to keep an eye on them, and it looks like it's largely resolved.

Eartha's maybe a touch more timid, she knows she did wrong by the looks of it, but they two have interacted a couple times.

Eartha still hisses at Mochi if she's too close, or sometimes bats at her, but that wasn't unusual beforehand, and she's never hurt Mochi so it seems like we're roughly backt o normal.

Definitely keeping an eye on the pair of them though.

Thanks all

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

My dude's been leaving the backyard and picking fights with other cats, its making me worried. Wish he would stay in my backyard with this cozy patio he likes to nap on.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

I have two questions about my cat. She is about 5 years old.

1) my cat Cora seems to have developed a small black spot on her bottom gums, and a small black spot on the roof of her mouth.
Should I be concerned about this?

2) I believe since we got her a couple years ago, she would once in a while rub her face on something and this would cause her to make a grinding and smacking noise for a second or two after.

I mentioned it to the vet and he wasn't able to figure out what was happening or why. But didn't seem concerned.

Recently I have noticed she is doing it alot more often. It seems like every time she rubs her face on things.
She doesn't seem distressed or in pain.

Should I bring her to a different vet?

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Gripweed posted:

I'm hoping you guys can help me out with something. My mom has two cats, both of whom recently got a ton of fleas. She gave them Advantage, which drove the fleas off the cats, but now she has fleas in her house. She's taken up all the rugs, washed all the bed linens, cleaned the whole house as best she could, but she's still seeing fleas. naturally she's stuck inside so she can't use a flea bomb or anything like that. And since she just gave both cats Advantage and one of them is pretty old, she's worried that too much anti-flea poisons in the environment could hurt the cats. What can she do to kill the fleas that is completely safe for her cats and herself?

You can try Diatomaceous Earth, buy some off amazon one that comes with a little sprayer and puff it all over the carpets it kills fleas and is safe for pets.

I had a cat a long time ago and dealt with the same situation but we used a flea bomb we just sat on the porch for two hours then went back in, the cats you can put in carriers, definitively killed all the fleas immediately. I think it would be fine for the older cat that is just being unreasonably cautious. If the flea insecticide really stuck around afterwards to the degree where it might harm your pets then it wouldn't be on the market.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TheMopeSquad posted:

You can try Diatomaceous Earth, buy some off amazon one that comes with a little sprayer and puff it all over the carpets it kills fleas and is safe for pets.

I had a cat a long time ago and dealt with the same situation but we used a flea bomb we just sat on the porch for two hours then went back in, the cats you can put in carriers, definitively killed all the fleas immediately. I think it would be fine for the older cat that is just being unreasonably cautious. If the flea insecticide really stuck around afterwards to the degree where it might harm your pets then it wouldn't be on the market.

We have found flea powder to be useful for carpets. You're supposed to put it on your pet. It's generally been useless for that, but we've found it much useful to sprinkle all over the carpet then skate across it in stocking feet to rub it in good, then vacuum it and the dead fleas back out.

Another trick is a steam cleaner you can rent from Home Depot or Lowe's or the like. It seems pretty effective in drawing out the fleas and their eggs.

And I agree on flea bombs. Get everything living out of the house, kill the pilot lights on any gas appliances, then set them off and go do something else for a few hours. Come back, open the house up, air it out, and sweep up the dead bugs.

I've never seen diatomaceous earth do one drat bit of good, TBH. Sure makes a mess, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Are longhaired wild cats covered in dreads or do they figure something out that lazy housecats don’t?