Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Yeah, I figured it's "just" another avenue to go down. I was just unsure what's needed to do it.

So Math posted:

This is going to vary depending on what you're using to make sound. What are you using?

I have a midi keyboard, the Arturia Analog Lab presets and Ableton Lite. I'm still very much figuring out the basics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Mrenda posted:

I have a midi keyboard, the Arturia Analog Lab presets and Ableton Lite. I'm still very much figuring out the basics.

This the arrangement view for the extended version of "I Changed My Name" which I linked on the previous page. Maybe not the most basic, but I'm too deep in this write-up to quit now. Feel free to ask follow up questions. :)

It might make more sense to listen to the song while you look at the tracks. Most of these are MIDI tracks. There's a pinch of automation on the Singing track where I turn the vocoder on and off between verses, but it was a little busy to show at this scale.

For arrangements like this, I think about layering several different parts, mostly synth samples here. Lead and Harmony are copies of the same instrument, but I edited the presets to make them more complimentary in the mix. Most of my knob twiddling for this song involved editing presets or effects while I worked on the arrangement.

Having these parts cut in and out helps to differentiate the verse/chorus structure. They never play all together until the climax of the song. Having a lot of them makes it easier to set up minor variations, and you can see some places where I wrote a clip in one track and decided it fit better in a different instrument. (There's more, but I recolored a lot of them as I went.)

There's really three major sections which I switch between with variations. The verses are all labelled at the top, they're usually followed by a chorus (F in the Bass part), and the Eb around 2:30 is the beginning of the bridge. (It's a quotation from one of my old TV shows growing up, but major instead of minor.) Then I slowly bring everything in at 3:15 as I build up to the climax.

The drum line was written as loops, some as short as one measure. I make it seem bigger by breaking the loop in the last measure of a phrase. I also put crash cymbals (in a dedicated track) at the start of each major section. I usually write the drum and bass parts first, and labeling helps me keep my place in the arrangement.

I highlighted the arpeggio track to show what I've written in MIDI. I entered the notes one at a time instead of playing them at tempo, just going up the chords I have labelled on the bass part. You can change the red velocity bars at the bottom to help shape the phrase, but the arpeggio is incidental enough that I didn't do much on this track. On the far left, I used one of Ableton's grooves to keep it from being too square.

The two vocal tracks at the bottom of the arrangement are technically the only things I performed in real time.

So Math fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 18, 2020

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

A hardware arp paired with a quantizer will get you away from a DAW or traditional keyboard in no time.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

So Math posted:

This the arrangement view for the extended version of "I Changed My Name" which I linked on the previous page.

It seems I got the wrong end of the stick about some things. I was thinking there was a form of playing/producing that was a lot less structured and pre-planned.

And thanks for the write up. Seeing the amount of work going into one track is helpful.

I was playing around with a (very short) track of my own, based on one small bit of melody, and if you listen to it you can hear how bare it is compared to the amount of work you put in. I uploaded it to soundcloud if anyone feels like giving it a listen, although soundcloud seemingly cuts off the first half second when it plays. It's my first go-round since I tried to make something in 3/4 time a long time ago where I fell flat on my face and abandoned music for many a year.

Edit: The proper link https://soundcloud.com/endaedna/nochillnochillnochillno/s-EQDbTPmCgQn

Mrenda fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 18, 2020

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Mrenda posted:

It seems I got the wrong end of the stick about some things. I was thinking there was a form of playing/producing that was a lot less structured and pre-planned.

It really depends on what you're trying to accomplish and what hardware you're using.

A lot of modular dudes who go out and do like hour-long LIVE JAMS or whatever usually know their gear inside and out, do a ton of extensive pre-production work like sequencing and patching, and combine that work with a fair degree of luck and guesswork when it comes to playing live. They are effectively mixing live while playing back all that preproduction work.

At the same time, there's a set of modular dudes who are into more live-generated improvised and machine automated work that is very hands-off. They usually align more with the "West Coast synthesis" of Buchla, et al.

When it comes to studio work, there's a similar range of spare to dense production. On one hand, you can have someone like HAINBACH who sets out with a couple tape loops and a couple effects boxes and just sort of plays/mixes by feel, and then you have people like Trent Reznor who meticulously records and hacks up and automates everything to perfection, even live.

The main thing to remember is that for many, many years, automation didn't exist at all, and mixing and production was another performance done by humans with hands on mixing desks. It took four people working all at the same time on the same console to mix a single song on Dark Side of the Moon. Now you're only limited by how much you want to fiddle with envelopes or patching beforehand.

And of course, some songs have almost no preproduction work at all. Rihanna's "Umbrella" was famously built off GarageBand loops. A lot of '80s songs are literally just DX7 presets. The entire genre of hip-hop was built off a sampler, a single drum machine, and MAYBE a synth for bass lines.

Find a song you like and then learn everything you can about how it was put together. (I suggest the old DVD series Classic Albums which sometimes shows up on like vh1 Classic, and the podcast Song Exploder.) And lots of YouTube.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I am un- reccommending the MS-70CDR. The delays are neat but the reverbs all sound like rear end unless I am missing the odd hidden gem :(
On the brighter side I have just purchased ValhallaVintageVerb so :getin:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Mrenda posted:

And thanks for the write up. Seeing the amount of work going into one track is helpful.

I was playing around with a (very short) track of my own, based on one small bit of melody, and if you listen to it you can hear how bare it is compared to the amount of work you put in. I uploaded it to soundcloud if anyone feels like giving it a listen, although soundcloud seemingly cuts off the first half second when it plays. It's my first go-round since I tried to make something in 3/4 time a long time ago where I fell flat on my face and abandoned music for many a year.

Edit: The proper link https://soundcloud.com/endaedna/nochillnochillnochillno/s-EQDbTPmCgQn

Making music doesn't have many rules, or any at all depending on who you are. Your song is really nice, and you're grasping what makes music fine. I think the biggest hurdle for me was sitting in my DAW spending weeks trying to make a perfect song when I started. I was scared everything wasn't perfect and I would spend hours tweaking one effect or trying to find the perfect tone and then coming back a week later thinking this or that was awful and almost starting over and basically getting nowhere with my music. Then someone here just said post your music, who cares, just post. No music being posted is worse than music being posted regardelss of skill or quality level. Kinda broke down that wall of stressing over the tiniest poo poo. If I like it, I'll share it. If I run into a wall and I can't fix it after a day, I start fresh. Almost all my stuff now is done in one or two sessions and I don't feel bad because I'm enjoying it and im learning more than just sitting and stressing. The more I make it feels like the more confident I get with instruments and a process. It's all a total hobby for me. I like laying melodies over each other, and now i like making video clips for the little tunes, it's just really enjoyable to do. That's just me tho. Others like building a track for weeks, maybe months. I have friends who are in legit bands who have toured the planet and songs can take hours to months. Everyone just kind of finds their own groove.

Basically just post.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 18, 2020

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Yeah, this has promise! I like how the bass does its descending line once, then again at half speed. The arpeggio at 0:30 could do to be a little louder, maybe +6 db? It gets covered up by the strings, so I would also try panning those tracks away from each other, maybe +30 on the arp and -30 on the strings.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

How did Switched On Bach get done? Mix of sequencing and multi-tracking Wendy playing live? That album is miraculous to me just for the technology they were limited by.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

EBB posted:

How did Switched On Bach get done? Mix of sequencing and multi-tracking Wendy playing live? That album is miraculous to me just for the technology they were limited by.

She built a customized 8-track 1" machine, there was a bit of polyphony on offer but the vast majority of tracking was done with arranged monophonic lines. I seem to recall some fairly good production notes in Keyboard a million years ago but don't recall if that was the mag.
Sequencing? This was early enough the 960 sequencer hadn't been released yet. Either that year or the next is when it dropped, iirc.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

She actually is on the record as saying that from a sound design standpoint it was fairly basic and uninteresting to her once it was done. You can effectively replicate just about any sound with a basic oscillator, some ADSR, and the right filtering. I read a pretty recent article about it on Reverb or something. Lemme see if I can find it again.

Edit: here we go https://reverb.com/news/wendy-carlos-pioneering-moog-synthesis-switched-on-bach

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 18, 2020

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
There's some folklore that she could only record a few measures at a time before the Moog went out of tune.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

So Math posted:

There's some folklore that she could only record a few measures at a time before the Moog went out of tune.

I could see it, if the transistors were poorly matched.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Getting the bandcamp page ready. We need a synthgoons header.

975 pixels wide, 40-180 pixels tall, .jpg, .gif or .png, 2mb max

If anyone wants to make one.

e: also an "artist photo" of undisclosed size and dimension restrictions.

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 19, 2020

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
This caught my eye. Some clever MIDI generation for Ableton with lots of knobs to tweak. It's all built out of the default effects, so you can run it in most versions. Also its free.

https://sonicbloom.net/en/free-sb-regenerators-no-63/

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
My song is in the fridge.

https://soundcloud.com/snowcloud/a-tear-for-labor

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

My potential boner is toast. It wasn't coming together like I wanted so I binned it.

However, in the course of doing a few field recordings I inadvertently caught a secondary sound in one of the recordings. It is cool and I'm mutilating it as I type. Well, after I'm done typing.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Young man, you may stand outside the law, but you do not stand above it.

quote:

If your tracks are done,

render them to a .wav or a .flac or some sort of LOSSLESS format

Zip them up with a text file, how you want to be credited, name of the song, any track notes or thank yous or whatever, them upload the zip to mediafire or dropbox or something.

Post the link here, or, courtesy of EBBs benevolence, pm it to me.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Woah my bad.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y9kXXsDKgHVHxR3TGX3ADpAqK1ho1bg5/view?usp=sharing

a mysterious cloak posted:

My potential boner is toast. It wasn't coming together like I wanted so I binned it.

However, in the course of doing a few field recordings I inadvertently caught a secondary sound in one of the recordings. It is cool and I'm mutilating it as I type. Well, after I'm done typing.

I'm not sure anything ever recorded wasn't a big fat happy accident.

snorch fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 21, 2020

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

The Voice of Labor posted:

Take a few extra days to work on your track. There's enough of a lead that a straggler or two can be accommodated. Don't let the man silence the voice of Delaware.

thanks, finally got a chance to sit down with this after a weekend of nonstop work, here's the updated file:

https://we.tl/t-y1CyEfdoPg

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I'm working on mine now. :sweatdrop:

EDIT:

Here's my submission: KYH - A Stronger Loving World (Suo Gân)

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 21, 2020

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I bought an iPad for my continued musical education, words cannot describe how excited I am to be able to see more than 4-5 tracks at a time and be able to monitor my minilab while I’m using it

Also figured out a really quick and easy workflow for recording stuff with my Tascam DR-05 (probably the best microphone I own) and put it right into the sampling keyboard, see if you can hear the green Cherry MX switch in this track

Coffee And Pie fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 22, 2020

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Thank you one and all. Submissions for Boners for Labor are now officially officially closed.

We still need cover art.

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 22, 2020

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Guys, look, I've tried being nice about this but if someone doesn't score some cover art quick, it's going to look like this

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

The Voice of Labor posted:

Guys, look, I've tried being nice about this but if someone doesn't score some cover art quick, it's going to look like this

:hmmyes:

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Has anyone gotten into the Eurorack format video synth here?

I'm still trying to figure out the kit I want. It seems like the Visual Cortex is a good place to start, what else would I need besides that to be able to start tinkering?

I think that, plus a video source with component out (I have this for Playstation 2 to test it to start), plus a video output target (composite -> HDMI converter for now) may be enough to start tinkering. Am I missing anything?

https://github.com/lzxindustries/documentation/raw/master/Visual%20Cortex/Visual%20Cortex%20Basic%20Patches.pdf
Seems to make me think that's enough to start.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 22, 2020

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Chainclaw posted:

Has anyone gotten into the Eurorack format video synth here?

I'm still trying to figure out the kit I want. It seems like the Visual Cortex is a good place to start, what else would I need besides that to be able to start tinkering?

I think that, plus a video source with component out (I have this for Playstation 2 to test it to start), plus a video output target (composite -> HDMI converter for now) may be enough to start tinkering. Am I missing anything?

https://github.com/lzxindustries/documentation/raw/master/Visual%20Cortex/Visual%20Cortex%20Basic%20Patches.pdf
Seems to make me think that's enough to start.

I've been looking at tinkering with video synthesis for a while and heard that the composite to HDMI converters don't really work for synthesis signals or at least that they produce wildly different results than you'd get on a CRT. YMMV, I say go for it and report back.

I just ordered an MPC One. Can I hang out here even though I'm not analog?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The MPC one looks cool, reminds me of my old 1000. Not sure if I'm into the touchscreen thing tho

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I've been looking at tinkering with video synthesis for a while and heard that the composite to HDMI converters don't really work for synthesis signals or at least that they produce wildly different results than you'd get on a CRT. YMMV, I say go for it and report back.

I just ordered an MPC One. Can I hang out here even though I'm not analog?

Where did you find one in stock?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Don't tempt me. I've been saving up for the XD module (I like desktop form factor) but I need to finish my basement before I buy any more gear.

...or maybe do tempt me. I don't know.

Alright the siren call of a Hydrasynth is too much to resist, so the Logue XD has gotta go. If you're interested shoot me a PM.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

McCoy Pauley posted:

Where did you find one in stock?

AVShop.ca
I called them to double check they actually had it. I hope the guy on the phone didn't lie :ohdear:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Sometimes I catch little bits of live sessions that I just want to snip a minute of and keep forever

https://soundcloud.com/user-44349750/coda-22-4-20

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Super, super important question: How long, in minutes and seconds, is a moment?

Like, if you were to have a moment of silence, how long should it actually be?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

People who do metaphysics of time for a living generally think of moments as the the temporal equivalent of points, so infinitesimal (usually)

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Nonsense. It can, and often is, quantified. "A brief moment of silence". Furthermore, the common full expression is "let us observe a moment of silence". Observe in the sense,

quote:

To maintain (silence or a period of silence), as out of respect for someone who has died.
The immediate circularity of the definition and example resulting from the singular cultural usage of that sense of the word.

Who is doing doing philosophy of time nowadays? I seem to remember it being an up and coming thing in or around Oceania.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

How long will it take to throw my corpse in a dumpster? That's long enough.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

How much do you weigh?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I had a better idea. A moment is the amount of time it takes a head to reach the basket from the guillotine in ye olde revolution days.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

A moment is measured by the time between the sensation of a fart and the actual expulsion of said fart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

hol up
*1 moment passes*
we dem boyz