Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The Switch demo barely ran at 30fps and it seemed like my character was running slower than on the PS4 version. The performance differences were huge in my experience. I also have a PS4 pro so it was running at 60fps in 4K I assume.

I got my PS4 second hand and it runs kinda lovely so maybe I should edit that in just in case? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Zenithe posted:

Do certain attributes get capped easily? Or am I going to get in trouble boosting luck because it sounds like fun down the line.

Based on some guy who got his copy early, you need a lot of levels to max out on training lines (possibly over 100)

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
So uhh, this is a thing.

https://twitter.com/SmashBrosJP/status/1252764057553080323?s=20

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Three new spirits are being added to the spirit board in Smash Ultimate to commemorate the launch of the remake of SD3? My Japanese sucks, but that’s what I make out of that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Erpy posted:

I believe all enemy attacks are telegraphed so even if they'd counter, you'd theoretically have a split second or so to get out of the way.

I mean is it telegraphed that the enemy is countering your attacks. In the original game you just think "this guy attacks like crazy, I better do all the spells and T2/3 attacks I can!"

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Kevin for Smash

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Three new spirits are being added to the spirit board in Smash Ultimate to commemorate the launch of the remake of SD3? My Japanese sucks, but that’s what I make out of that.

yep, Mana series got into smash as spirits.
And also, more advertising for Trials. Which is always nice.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
look, I just like that at the character select screen everyone introduces themselves and says something about themselves

except Kevin, who just says "Kevin! That's me!"

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I am jazzed for this on PC. Played through the demo a bunch to get a taste of it and I enjoyed what was presented there. Only character I couldn't really control well was Hawkeye, I kept having problems doing the AoE combo because his second attack is so quick and short. Probably going to primary Riesz for their story instead.

Might even do an all guys and all gals run to see if they do indeed have unique quips and stuff.

Of course in my zeal to play the demo and get parties set up for the release, I accidentally saved over my one run where I managed to get the pot up to level 2 through casual play :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The big thing for me on the 24th will be tracking down all those raffles and unsigning anything they made me sign up for. A rabite Switch would be worth it though.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Anyone find super secret cacti yet?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

DoubleDonut posted:

look, I just like that at the character select screen everyone introduces themselves and says something about themselves

except Kevin, who just says "Kevin! That's me!"

This says everything we need to know about him and why he is best

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Bruceski posted:

The big thing for me on the 24th will be tracking down all those raffles and unsigning anything they made me sign up for. A rabite Switch would be worth it though.

Yeah. Considering my finances it would be pretty much the only way to get a switch.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Still haven't settled on a starter party. Might have to just use a randomizer

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I'm torn on a third for Kevin/Charlotte. In between the Castle Town theme playing in my head I've been debating the merits between Angela or Riesz.

With a brief 'what about Lightside Hawkeye' interlude.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Between Charlotte's Elmer Fudd speech and Kevin's 'awkwardly undersocialized' dialogue I think the best third option is Angela with her Sassy Valley-Girl attitude.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Did I miss it...how do you use abilities like healing? Even after getting to the end part of the demo where you get the light element I didn't see a way to equip the spell

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

It helps to know what character you were first.

The onwy one who wearns heawing as the stawtew cwass is Chawwote

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

gandlethorpe posted:

:suicide:

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Only Dr. Light can do an Elmer Fudd impression correctly.
Still, Charlotte is not the character id want to shut up speaking the most thats in a new JRPG this month. So she's got that going for her.

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 22, 2020

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

OK, I'm going with Angela for lead, with Riesz and Hawk.

I have no preference/ideas about classes but would like to do something more on the interesting rather than the overpowered side.

Recommendations?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Zenithe posted:

OK, I'm going with Angela for lead, with Riesz and Hawk.

I have no preference/ideas about classes but would like to do something more on the interesting rather than the overpowered side.

Recommendations?

With that team you're gonna have to rely on items for healing. An interesting comp might be a spell heavy team of Rune Seer, Star Lancer, and Rogue. Angela gets her hardest hitting elemental spells, while Hawkeye gets a ton of damage dealing traps. Riesz is there to buff their magic power. Of course, that depends on whether Hawkeye's spells are buffed in the same way as Angela's.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

gandlethorpe posted:

With that team you're gonna have to rely on items for healing. An interesting comp might be a spell heavy team of Rune Seer, Star Lancer, and Rogue. Angela gets her hardest hitting elemental spells, while Hawkeye gets a ton of damage dealing traps. Riesz is there to buff their magic power. Of course, that depends on whether Hawkeye's spells are buffed in the same way as Angela's.

They're not. Hawkeye's Rogue spells depend on Luck instead of ATK or MGC ATK and hit DEF so they're unaffected by buffs. That said, it does mean you could go Fenrir Knight Riesz instead. One debuff to Def, and one to Magic later, and you're set (unless the enemy vanishes, forcing you to apply them again).

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Yeah I have never not had Duran or Carlie, no heals is intentional

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Similarly on my end as much as I like valley princess Angelica I haven't used Riesz/Hawkeye that much outside their route in my original SD3 playthroughs.

Mostly because Gorva is an absolute slog without Angelica.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I am having the hardest time deciding who I'm going with for a team. I was thinking about just rolling for it but I need to know: is there like any absolute "don't do this" character compositions that'll just make things super hard for me?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

EponymousMrYar posted:

Similarly on my end as much as I like valley princess Angelica I haven't used Riesz/Hawkeye that much outside their route in my original SD3 playthroughs.

Mostly because Gorva is an absolute slog without Angelica.

try jumping

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Lastdancer posted:

I am having the hardest time deciding who I'm going with for a team. I was thinking about just rolling for it but I need to know: is there like any absolute "don't do this" character compositions that'll just make things super hard for me?
Been noted before, but the one composition that (at least before this remake) has no healing magic is Reisz, Hawkeye, and Angela, so they'd be extra reliant on items.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Lastdancer posted:

it's hard to say given how different the remake's approach to stats and skills is. probably the worst thing you could do in the original was to go all-in on any one thing - in general you want to avoid building any of your characters such that they have large overlaps in capability with another character, so don't go dark with both Hawk and Lise, don't go light on Duran or Kevin if you have Charlotte. you could still win the game pretty easily with any party though.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gandlethorpe posted:

It helps to know what character you were first.

yes, I was Charlotte

I just didn't see a way to *use* moves, healing or not

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
I'm going Duran, Angela, Riesz. I held off on Trials in Collection of Mana because of the remake. The tunes are going to be worth the purchase alone.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

eonwe posted:

yes, I was Charlotte

You have to put training points into the respective line to unlock any spells. In this case it would've been Spirit. Once you do that, it should be available in the spell wheel.

Lastdancer posted:

Jazerus posted:

it's hard to say given how different the remake's approach to stats and skills is. probably the worst thing you could do in the original was to go all-in on any one thing - in general you want to avoid building any of your characters such that they have large overlaps in capability with another character, so don't go dark with both Hawk and Lise, don't go light on Duran or Kevin if you have Charlotte. you could still win the game pretty easily with any party though.

To reiterate, no combination of 3 characters is bad, even the one that doesn't have a healer. The only way you can gimp yourself is by choosing class changes that don't really complement each other. E.g. Having a Kevin/Charlotte/Duran team where Kevin and Duran both go for their multitarget healer class, and Charlotte goes for the most defensive route. That team probably won't die, but it'll be a slog getting through fights with the lack of DPS.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I keep seeing those nuns walking around Wendel and when they turn around it was actually a thickly mustachioed man or a guy with a soul patch wearing a wimple. I don't really have anything else to say about that except to lol

I'm replaying up to the end of the demo tonight with my party of choice (Angela, Duran, Hawkeye) while focusing on picking up all drops, and with this being my 4th playthough at this point I've found a lot. Without retracing my steps at all I'm only 1-2 seeds away from leveling up my item box and I'm about 30 minutes away from the end of the demo. Search all those nooks and crannies folks! Especially Lakeside Town Astoria: (very early plot spoiler) The town has completely new drops pre and post-beastmen invasion scattered throughout.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

eonwe posted:

yes, I was Charlotte

Pressing down on the d-pad brings up the move wheel (while up is the item wheel). I spent a while puzzling over this, too.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I think I’ve decided on Duran Angela Hawkeye, I’ll roll with Light for all three I don’t think I’ve ever gone light with any of them before. Gonna Lucent Beam the hell out of some fools.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Angela, Charlotte, and Duran are my first go around.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ferrinus posted:

Pressing down on the d-pad brings up the move wheel (while up is the item wheel). I spent a while puzzling over this, too.

I'll have to figure out what that is on M + KB, I bet this is it because I had the points spent on it

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Natural20 is going to do an LP of the game, he's opened a thread so people can begin voting on party composition. The thread's here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920962

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

do enemies and bosses in the later part of the game still auto counter your techs higher than level 1 with some huge damage aoe attack? i remember having to set everyones tech to level 1 in the original cause id get absolutely stomped by the counters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

ASenileAnimal posted:

do enemies and bosses in the later part of the game still auto counter your techs higher than level 1 with some huge damage aoe attack? i remember having to set everyones tech to level 1 in the original cause id get absolutely stomped by the counters.

Generally, those attacks have been changed to be a slow-charging full-scale AoE attack where the boss summons an object (or several objects) that you need to deplete the HP of in order to avoid the damage outright (and stun the boss for a little while so you get some free hits in).