Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

exquisite tea posted:

If they were aiming for this then I don't think they really succeeded, because so many of the setups were totally unforeseeable circumstances or frankly comedic mishaps instead of the crushing, oppressive struggle that living with a mental illness can be. With many of the side stories you spend literally 4-5 minutes learning anything about the character and WHOOPSIES now they're dead, which when repeated 10 or 11 times begins to look more like a farce. The writers were clearly trying to go for some kind of life-affirming message, especially in the context of the final chapter, but I don't think they really "earned" those moments with the characters. With the exception of the cannery scene and a couple others you don't really get to inhabit the mental state of the family member you're controlling, you don't get to go on a journey with them long enough to feel sad that they all died young. You're just kinda playing along with whatever the new gameplay gimmick is for that chapter while waiting for this hapless sucker to get a game over 10 minutes from now.

Edith Finch chat from a while back, but I just played it finally and I don't think mental health is an overall theme - it's more about tragedy and loss and how people deal with it (or not). Sometimes the vignettes are about a person, sometimes it's about how they died, sometimes it's both. And sometimes it's about putting the player in a position where they have to make something bad happen - and I mean that's a personal thing, some people won't care, others will have an emotional reaction to some stuff. I thought it was a pretty good storytelling mechanic

And I'm not sure about the life-affirming thing maybe "make the best of it" but as you're hearing that it's heavily implied that Edith dies in childbirth, "what remains" is basically a journal that's a memorial to everyone. A lot of it is about how individuals deal with stuff - like the bathtub scene is written by the dad in response to his wife divorcing him after they lost their baby - he's trying to make her feel better, talking about their child's imagination (who couldn't even talk yet) and how he'd want her to be happy, telling her it's not her fault and trying to give her some peace as he agrees to the divorce. The words he writes in the vignette aren't describing what you're seeing, and it's a way of dealing with the horror of the situation by implying the kid was having fun and didn't understand what was happening and passed peacefully. It's a human way of trying to protect people and put a veil over a reality they can't change

Anyhoo it's extremely melancholic but also very good and I think most of them did a great job of evoking things in a short space of time. And the whole setting is great, I just wish they hadn't reused assets like photos and books because it kinda spoils the attention to detail, it's good enough that this kind of thing starts to matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Volte posted:

All that high interactivity stuff wasn't just fluff, it was a huge driving force in the game industry at the time. I've never really cared about a Star Wars game other than KOTOR but I still remember these videos and the hype they generated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z734GXypSwk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d494qsIKGnE

These days I couldn't give a poo poo if a table acts realistically when I break it, or if I can break it at all. I know it's possible, it's not novel. I probably won't notice one way or the other.
In retrospect, remembering the days of Gothic and Arx Fatalis and games of that sort, I think you could make pretty good argument for it that interactivity and immersiveness are two entirely different things and shouldn't be treated as if they are equivalent in the first place. When you get right down to it, what about the ability to bake bread by mixing water and flour and putting it in an oven in-game was really immersive, in the sense that it makes the game experience feel more cohesive and complete? Not a whole lot, when you get right down to it. Why exactly is my swole hero dude taking an afternoon out of his busy schedule of saving the world to do domestic chores? Doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. It's just there for the sake of having it.

I think part of why this kind of gratuitous interactivity was mostly abandoned again is because it was really just that: a gimmick. It didn't have any function, it was just an attention-grabber to point to and say "look at all this cool stuff you can do in our game" to do one and then forget about entirely in favour of paying attention to the parts of the game that were actually important.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I always hear about those ice cubes in mgs 2 being this crazy detail but it wasn't really all that interesting actually messing with it in game. I think you don't see companies experimenting in interactivity in game because they already tried it, they're off experimenting with something else, I think

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'd go so far as to say interactivity and immersion are almost opposite goals despite what RDR2 would have you believe. Interactivity engages the player on the most superficial possible level. It's like playing with a toy. The only game I can truly say I've been immersed in recently, to the point where I have no real memory of when I played it, what was going on around me at the time, or how long it took me to finish it, is Return of the Obra Dinn. A game with literally zero interactivity and a graphical style that harkens back to a time before graphics.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My first exposure to going the extra mile for the little bits was at one point in Skies of Arcadia when a giant door swings around. It's just supposed to be a cutscene of "look, they're swinging their wall of cannons around! We'll have to fight that later!" and then you go in a door and get on with the game, but I have to admit I was impressed that if you sit there and wait something like 15 minutes it'll finish swinging around and slam shut. At one point with distances and foreshortening it's changing at one pixel per second, but they did the whole thing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Volte posted:

I'd go so far as to say interactivity and immersion are almost opposite goals despite what RDR2 would have you believe. Interactivity engages the player on the most superficial possible level. It's like playing with a toy.
I'd agree with that, but only up to a point. It is hard to argue that nearly any game wouldn't be improved by things like destructible clutter objects, for example. Repeatedly getting stuck on a bucket or box of cardboard because the environment is not interactive enough is not just jarring, but also really just frustrating on a completely practical level. I guess in a lot of ways it really boils down to the simple question of "would the absence of this feature really make the game worse" when it comes to deciding how interactive a game world really needs to be.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr is on sale has reviews from good to crap, just all over the spectrum.
I need a goon rep on is this good for online coop or is there a better game like it

Orv
May 4, 2011

Junkie Disease posted:

Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr is on sale has reviews from good to crap, just all over the spectrum.
I need a goon rep on is this good for online coop or is there a better game like it

It is one of the best games for nailing the 40K aesthetic, it is a mediocre to pretty okay ARPG that comes down almost entirely to personal preference where you land on it.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
It's good if you are a fan of the universe. It's a poo poo diablo clone otherwise with even worse control than Wolcen.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

The Joe Man posted:

He's right to a degree though. Look at the original Gothics or Stalker or Silent Storm. Tons of manually coded detail, schedules or destruction/state permanence on shoestring budgets and it made those games really special.

You don't see that kind of effort anymore.

You can still see it in indie/small team projects like Starsector or the Terse Brothers games and so on, where the devs aren't working under slave labor conditions like at EA/Ubi/CDPR/wherever.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Is Brawlhalla...good? It seems insanely popular on Steam but no one talks about it and it's nowhere on Twitch.

Orv
May 4, 2011

porfiria posted:

Is Brawlhalla...good? It seems insanely popular on Steam but no one talks about it and it's nowhere on Twitch.

It is a Smash, so no.

But it is a decent enough Smash, so yes.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Givin posted:

It's good if you are a fan of the universe. It's a poo poo diablo clone otherwise with even worse control than Wolcen.

Speaking of which, what is the consensus on Wolcen now that it's been out for a while?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

wolcen is a garbage fire

Orv
May 4, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Speaking of which, what is the consensus on Wolcen now that it's been out for a while?

What if really, really good ARPG combat. Like D3 level crisp and kinetic.

Now slather that promising start in not just an on fire garbage can but an on fire garbage continent.

Wolcen is worse.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

No Wave posted:

(I also hold the opinion that mid to late 2000s was the nadir of video games in general.)

yeah i think the late xbox1 to 360 period was mostly a complete loving wasteland of forgettable brown-grey color grading, plastic bloom, vague jingoistic-esque poo poo, and just really boring ~wow open world~ of c/p identical bases and a pool of the same repeating 3-5 scripted events with extremely poor consolitus

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

AI can do some cool stuff but it seems like playing games generally isn't one of those things. Unless you want to throw a supercomputer and a bunch of PhD candidates at it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

"AI" in video games really barely even deserves the name, as a general thing. Typically it's just a more or less lengthy and involved list of pre-scripted "if this, then do this" reactions, so they're never really capable of handling every possible situation a player might throw at them. Video games are just too large and complex for that.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is fallout 76 good yet for farting around in "singleplayer"?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Lord Lambeth posted:

I always hear about those ice cubes in mgs 2 being this crazy detail but it wasn't really all that interesting actually messing with it in game. I think you don't see companies experimenting in interactivity in game because they already tried it, they're off experimenting with something else, I think

That would totally be something one would hear about, try it, say "oh neat" then never remember or think about it again up until this argument resurfaces.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

PoultryGeist posted:

I too took a while to figure that out, but after that I would invariably run out of packagers so I left myself some space for a few more full sized items. Amusingly enough, I think that I've configured the 'best' version of The Grinder just in time for the Sylva research items to not really be worth it anymore. I need to figure out if its easier to move a rovertrain to a different planet or transport the materials and build onsite.

Sylvan research is kind of bad beyond your first foothold. When you get your first ship it's not a bad idea to head to an outer planet with some packagers so you can bring back research items that reliably give four figure amounts of bytes, which gets you over the initial research hump. Glacio is ideal because it also has iron and the local plants aren't too aggressive.

It depends how much of a base you want to set up I guess, and how much space The Grinder's components take up when packaged. We got to end game on an earlier lost save and our planet-solving vehicle on that was a large rover with a max level drill and a paver on the front, powered by an RTG (and pulling a trailer of batteries when we were activating monoliths). It melted through mountains and made bridges over ravines. When we had to ship it out we usually did a combination of shipping the tough to make parts like the drill and RTG and establishing a small base to make the rest, reasoning that we'd ultimately want at least one of them on every planet. We'll have to try the mobile scrapper for cleaning up all the trash that's around the place.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ZearothK posted:

it is Ungood™

it has like two cool ideas, one of which is the codewheel passive tree which is actually really cool, and the other is the post-game city building metagame which I can't tell you much about because using it requires playing the post-game which is Diablo 3 adventure mode except all the skills feel worse, the items are worse, the art is worse, it's unresponsive, and I hate interacting with the shopkeeper.

also you have a button that you can press after killing dozens of mobs that will transform you into one of four pre-set forms with their own moves for a certain amount of time but you can't see what their moves are or how they interact if at all with your skill tree and also the forms are locked to specific types of damage that might make a difference on whatever you're fighting or maybe not who knows.

also the bosses are all built as arcade style arena fights except on normal difficulty they have enough hp that they take like fifteen minutes to die if you're melee because you're spending all your time rolling away from telegraphed attacks that deal massive damage as a skill check and fighting your own rage bar for resources to do anything but auto-attacks.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Just play Grim Dawn. poo poo even play Van Helsing Final Cut.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I mean.

One of the reasons fire physics are scaled back in later Far Cry games is that they're not set in a hot, dry savannah. Far Cry 3's meant to be set in a wet, tropical jungle island, 4 is set in the Himalayas where there's snow everywhere and 5's set in a fairly normal climate in Montana.

Like yeah it was primarily scaled back for performance reasons but it's not like there's no narrative reasons either.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I mean.

One of the reasons fire physics are scaled back in later Far Cry games is that they're not set in a hot, dry savannah. Far Cry 3's meant to be set in a wet, tropical jungle island, 4 is set in the Himalayas where there's snow everywhere and 5's set in a fairly normal climate in Montana.

Like yeah it was primarily scaled back for performance reasons but it's not like there's no narrative reasons either.
HOW CONVENIENT

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Volte posted:

It only took about 10 years to go from "holy poo poo, this entire huge world is accessible at once, and I can do anything I want? My dreams have come true, I never thought this would be possible" to "Jesus Christ, another open world game? And I can't even break the trees?"

This is a very good point. I remember when I played GTAIII and couldn't believe such a game was possible. More recently trying AC Odyssey and thinking "you know what, this is a bit too much....".

The only game in the AAA space that has really surprised me recently was Death Stranding. It goes so completely against what a AAA game should be, and I think is brilliant for it.
Not everyone liked it (some people really hated it) and I can see why you wouldn't but I thought it was great.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I mean.

Yeah, I loved the fire physics in 2. You set fires tactically to flush out enemies from outposts and it was so satisfying. It totally makes sense why it wasn't as much in the later games. Saying that though, I'm playing through New Dawn at the moment and when you set something on fire, it definitely does spread and burn a fair bit.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Aphex- posted:

Yeah, I loved the fire physics in 2. You set fires tactically to flush out enemies from outposts and it was so satisfying. It totally makes sense why it wasn't as much in the later games. Saying that though, I'm playing through New Dawn at the moment and when you set something on fire, it definitely does spread and burn a fair bit.

The Izila Had Some Good Ideas.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I too am upset that I can't play AssCreed: Lumberjack.

edit: I remember mod in Skyrim that allowed you to chop down trees for wood. Not being able to do that in the base game was the least of that game's problems.

Trickyblackjack fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 22, 2020

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Trickyblackjack posted:

I too am upset that I can't play AssCreed: Lumberjack.

edit: I remember mod in Skyrim that allowed you to chop down trees for wood. Not being able to do that in the base game was the least of that game's problems.

For some reason this brings to mind a memory of a preview of Skyrim. Something about each town having an economy and if you did something to the lumber-mill the people would be upset? Did that really happen or am I making this up?

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Artelier posted:

I keep going back and forth on Yoku's Island Express. Somehow, I feel like I want it, yet I never seem to want to spend money on it or it's not high enough on the priority list when I am spending money. Should I pull the trigger or wipe it from my wishlist aaaaaaa

Add me on Steam https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198035776980 (confirm who you are by posting itt). It was bundled several months ago so it was trivial for me to get a spare key.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Call Your Grandma posted:

Add me on Steam https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198035776980 (confirm who you are by posting itt). It was bundled several months ago so it was trivial for me to get a spare key.

Aaa thank you! I will accept this offer if you're really okay with passing me one.

Just sent you a friend request, Artelier with a Francis avatar (L4D2). https://steamcommunity.com/id/artelier/

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

sent you a key code in chat. enjoy!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition is on sale. Is it good?

Is the story good? I've heard the main story isn't worth playing but that the Shadows of Undrentide module is really cool.

Is actually playing it an exercise in frustration where you spend more time fighting the UI than the monsters?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 22, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The original campaign story is not good, no, but Shadows of Undrentide is good and Hordes of the Underdark is great. The UI shouldn't be too much trouble; just don't play a Fighter or Rogue.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 22, 2020

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjmzsOOrEnQ

New Trackmania got a trailer and a delay to July 1st, confirmed not coming to Steam like every Ubisoft game these days.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ACValiant posted:

For some reason this brings to mind a memory of a preview of Skyrim. Something about each town having an economy and if you did something to the lumber-mill the people would be upset? Did that really happen or am I making this up?

I don't recall if "doing something to the lumber mill" was the exact thing they touted but yes, they essentially said that Skyrim had a reactive economy that would change depending on what happened in various places. It didn't, of course.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Aw gently caress, it was $9 on Fanatical, I just bought XCOM. Yay for friday and I hope it's good.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

GreatGreen posted:

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition is on sale. Is it good?

Is the story good? I've heard the main story isn't worth playing but that the Shadows of Undrentide module is really cool.

Is actually playing it an exercise in frustration where you spend more time fighting the UI than the monsters?

The graphics haven't aged well at all but it is a very good DND 3.5 simulator with pausable real-time gameplay. Non magic-using classes are pretty boring to play though, but Rogues aren't TOO bad because they can use scrolls. If you're a DND nerd, you'll probably like it. I got obsessed with it as a teenager and played a lot of online coop, there even was a site to old school match-make roleplay games with an in-game DM that can play behind the scenes, spawn monsters, NPCs, etc. Never seen anything like that since then. There are a lot of user-made modules out there which go from not bad to excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Humble Publishing seems like they pick some pretty interesting games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN-pzgK5fnA