Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

I love Sonic Adventure with all my heart but you're crazy if you think it controls as good as Mario 64, no it doesnt. full stop. it's jank.

i don't think anyone has said "sonic adventure controls as well as mario 64 did"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Augus posted:

I mean that's basically just early Sonic in a nutshell. The trade-off for wild ambition and pushing the boundaries of the technology you're working with is a big pile of jank. Robotnik's deadly speed traps are a thing for a reason.

I just feel like the jank of the adventure games might be exaggerated a bit in a few areas.

sm64 and crash are both really pushing technical boundaries, both are straining against the hardware at all times. theyre not big piles of jank. and i dont know how much more ambitious of a game you can get than sm64, the game that set the template for most 3d platformers.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Really, it feels like with Sonic Adventure they just dove into making a 3D sonic without stopping and experimenting and figuring out how Sonic should work in 3D.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The jank was especially apparent to me at the time in the Amy, Big and Gamma campaigns. I remember thinking Big’s fishing mechanics felt like dogshit compared to the fishing hole in Ocarina of Time.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Pushing technical boundaries isn't the same as having complex and ambitious level design or gameplay mechanics

Mario 64 is a fairly simple game in basically every respect design-wise

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stux posted:

sm64 and crash are both really pushing technical boundaries, both are straining against the hardware at all times. theyre not big piles of jank.

mario 64 has a typo in its code that makes the submarine room of dire dire docks run at 10 frames per second and if you lightly brush against a slope you go careening off into the abyss at full speed

mario also controls very loosely and imprecisely which is why they made the hit box for jumping on goombas like twice the size of the actual model and moving platforms are the most complex obstacle the game throws at you

crash bandicoot has levels upon levels where it forces you to run towards the camera and expects you to do precise platforming over deadly obstacles like this

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 21, 2020

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Ryan Drummond, look upon what you have wrought

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Augus posted:

mario 64 has a typo in its code that makes the submarine room of dire dire docks run at 10 frames per second and if you lightly brush against a slope you go careening off into the abyss at full speed

Mario 64 is a broken game after 25 years of people looking for ways to break it but it’s not really noticeable in regular gameplay, while it’s not too hard to just randomly fall through platforms in SA.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SeANMcBAY posted:

Mario 64 is a broken game after 25 years of people looking for ways to break it but it’s not really noticeable in regular gameplay,

i dunno i noticed it when I was like 5

I beat Sonic Adventure all on my own with no problem as a kid but for Mario 64 I needed my older brother to do those goddamn bowser throws for me

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Bowser throws are pretty tough to do but I wouldn’t call that jank.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Can you accomplish anything with a half A button press in SA1? I think not :colbert:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I can forgive the early 3d sonic games for all their jank, and even love them more for it

What I can never forgive is putting the bounce dive action on the same button as the ring dash

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

Pushing technical boundaries isn't the same as having complex and ambitious level design or gameplay mechanics

Mario 64 is a fairly simple game in basically every respect design-wise

except in the early 90s, when they were developing a new mario for the first 3d consoles, the sm64 design was not simple at all. its very literally groundbreaking and it only appears simple now specifically because they did it so well everyone else copied it. it was a ridiculously ambitious game design at the time. for a much less ambitious design just take crash. its also a technical marvel but in a different way, and its game design is basically "donkey kong but the camera is behind or in front sometimes".

Augus posted:

mario also controls very loosely and imprecise which is why they made the hit box for jumping on goombas like twice the size of the actual model and moving platforms are the most complex obstacle the game throws at you

i didnt say its a perfectly made game but there is a difference between a handful of bugs, which is literally every piece of software ever created, and jank. sm64 is not janky. and he just doesnt lol sm64 controls are absolutely amazing, theyve barely changed for the later marios at all, and the decision to make larger hitboxes to let you just jump on stuff is absolutely the right choice. i have no idea what to say about the platform thing because that such a comical claim i dont think it even deserves a response. and all this basically misses that we are also talking about games with an entire generation of console hardware between them.

like its fine if you love sa1. its fine if you like it more than sm64, i dont even particularly like it myself compared to games like crash or banjo. but the stuff youre claiming is complete nonsense.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Augus posted:

run around for a few minutes in Mystic Ruins and tell me what exactly is difficult and unintuitive about the way Sonic controls

i hate to do this to you but mystic ruins is not a level, any challenge it has is unintended

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I really wish we had a time machine so everyone can go back and see just what a mind blowing achievement of scale, design and pure mechanical gameplay perfection Mario 64 was in loving 1996. The fact that it did what it did and is still a mechanically fun game until today is a modern miracle.

Sonic adventure was great when it came out but it’s cracks quickly started to show in a few years.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 21, 2020

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stux posted:

theyve barely changed for the later marios at all

this is an absolutely absurd claim on its face lmao

look you can claim that Sonic Adventure "wasn't even good for its time" all you want but both Adventure games were critically acclaimed on release, they only got bad reviews years later when they were given lovely ports that actively made the games worse.

Dabir posted:

i hate to do this to you but mystic ruins is not a level, any challenge it has is unintended

neither is the garden outside peach's castle but it's applauded as a masterpiece of game design for giving you an open playground to toy around with the character's movement. it's only fair to also compare how Sonic moves in an open playground where the player can just run around.

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 21, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Al-Saqr posted:

I really wish we had a time machine so everyone can go back and see just what a mind blowing achievement of scale, design and pure mechanical gameplay perfection Mario 64 was in loving 1996. The fact that it did what it did and is still a mechanically fun game until today is a modern miracle.

It's easy to brush off now but Mario 64 felt like loving magic at the time. You had to be there at one of those demo kiosks, man.:eyepop:

I'm not trying to dump on SA. I still mostly love it for all it's faults and I'd buy a remaster just for the Chao Garden alone.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's easy to brush off now but Mario 64 felt like loving magic at the time. You had to be there at one of those demo kiosks, man.:eyepop:

Lol for real, I still remember seeing it for the first time at one of those demo stands. My mind was blown when mario jumped into a painting and went to a whole new world. You bet your rear end a Nintendo 64 and a copy of mario 64 went straight to the top of my Christmas list.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Augus posted:

I agree, the later Marios do a great job but the way Mario moves in 64 is Literally Perfect (dunno about odyssey, haven't played it).

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It is worth noting that SA1 came out on the first of next-gen hardware, giving it some wow factor that it might otherwise not have gotten. It was the first time 3D models looked like actual characters instead of a close approximation using a handful of triangles.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stink Terios posted:

I agree, the later Marios do a great job but the way Mario moves in 64 is Literally Perfect (dunno about odyssey, haven't played it).

Sunshine's movement was better imo
even though you couldn't long jump

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Stux posted:

except in the early 90s, when they were developing a new mario for the first 3d consoles, the sm64 design was not simple at all. its very literally groundbreaking and it only appears simple now specifically because they did it so well everyone else copied it. it was a ridiculously ambitious game design at the time. for a much less ambitious design just take crash. its also a technical marvel but in a different way, and its game design is basically "donkey kong but the camera is behind or in front sometimes".

Mario 64 was simple by the necessity of being a groundbreaking 3d platformer but that doesn't make it not simple, nor does it make its design actually secretly more ambitious and complex than the design of games that came slightly later. It's a simple game, and that's part of its charm. The lack of ambition in level design is a feature, it's a much more elegant game than SA1 for sure, and much more well suited to players totally unfamiliar with navigating a virtual 3d space. Whether or not it was pushing the technical limitations of the Nintendo 64 has little bearing on any of this.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Stink Terios posted:

It's even better.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Augus posted:

look you can claim that Sonic Adventure "wasn't even good for its time" all you want but both Adventure games were critically acclaimed on release, they only got bad reviews years later when they were given lovely ports that actively made the games worse.

i mean i dont really care about reviews, it just wasnt as impressive or polished on release as earlier 3d platformers. thats it really.

ninjewtsu posted:

Mario 64 was simple by the necessity of being a groundbreaking 3d platformer but that doesn't make it not simple, nor does it make its design actually secretly more ambitious and complex than the design of games that came slightly later. It's a simple game, and that's part of its charm. The lack of ambition in level design is a feature, it's a much more elegant game than SA1 for sure, and much more well suited to players totally unfamiliar with navigating a virtual 3d space. Whether or not it was pushing the technical limitations of the Nintendo 64 has little bearing on any of this.

its nothing to do with technical limitations. the idea that the game design of mario 64 is simple is rooted in it existing and becoming standardised, it wasnt a simple concept at the time regardless of technical aspects. the idea of a 3d platformer in itself was complicated and difficult because no one had done it before, and adding large open areas onto t hat was extremely ambitious when there was no familiarity for players or developers with this. they were approaching two novel ideas at the same time and attempting to merge them while having no existing examples to base from. theres a reason that sm64s main contemporary went very linear and very controlled; crash is the game design of a 2d platformer extrapolated into 3d. sm64 is a ridiculously ambitious and complicated game design executed fantastically, while also being technically impressive seperately. ambition and complexity are contextual and temporal, what is ambitious and complicated then is simple now because it has been done and its understood, but that doesnt make what they did simple at all. if you tried telling anyone in 1996 that mario 64 was simple or unambitious you wouldve been laughed out of the room.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Augus posted:

neither is the garden outside peach's castle but it's applauded as a masterpiece of game design for giving you an open playground to toy around with the character's movement. it's only fair to also compare how Sonic moves in an open playground where the player can just run around.

Sonic in SA1 certainly does control pretty well in an open environment where you're not punished for his twitchy movement, but the issue is that most of his levels are on rails with bottomless pits. I think if they went all-in on open exploration like in some of these recent 3D Sonic fangames there would be way less complaints about how Sonic's movement feels.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I love SA1 but seeing Mario64's overlarge hitboxes for stomping on enemies compared unfavorably to a game that automated jumping on enemies completely is pretty wild lol.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I remember it being really graphically impressive for the time, with big levels and overworlds that were fun to explore. Otherwise, SA1 wasn't that groundbreaking, even by 1998 standards. If you're not in the safe hub world, Sonic controls like rear end and the gameplay has aged poorly.

That said, I still had tons of fun with it as a diehard Sega fanboy who didn't know any better (I had a Saturn for the prior generation).

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mr Phillby posted:

I love SA1 but seeing Mario64's overlarge hitboxes for stomping on enemies compared unfavorably to a game that automated jumping on enemies completely is pretty wild lol.

I'm just pointing out that both cases are good design compensating for not-so-perfect controls

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Augus posted:

I'm just pointing out that both cases are good design compensating for not-so-perfect controls

Nah that's more of a case that its inherently more difficult to jump on a specific thing in a 3D space than in 2D. Mario64 also added punching and grabbing as a means to defeat enemies and there's not a lot of enemies that can only be defeated by being hopped on. Overall the controls in Mario 64 are a bit stiff compared to later games but they largely hold up very well. the added acrobatic moves also feel like a natural extension of how Mario controlled in 2D and lend themselves well to exploring 3D environments.

Sonic however is twitchy to control and doesn't really capture or elaborate on the ~Momentum Based Gameplay~ of the originals. The homing attack feels automated and is your only real method of defeating enemies. I think sonic is just a much harder game to adapt into 3D than mario, The originals used all kinds of smooth slopes and curves that are a) easier to read from a 2D perspective b) beyond what the dreamcast could manage in a 3D engine. Some things also don't really work in 3D and a faithful version of Sonic that feels good to play in 3D isn't something that's really been solved yet IMO.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Crash is dogshit

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sonic Adventure is plagued with artificial difficulty from how hosed up controlling the slippery little poo poo is from the word go, when actual designed difficulty comes into play the game becomes almost completely unfun. I'm just saying, there's a reason people always gush about Emerald Coast and City Escape and not, say, Lost World, Pyramid Cave, Sky Deck or Crazy Gadget.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Crash is dogshit
I remember briefly playing it a friend's house and just finding it miserable because it felt so hard to judge your jumps. Making a platformer entirely around going towards/away from the camera seemed really kinda dumb to me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Apparently a full playthrough of Crash Bandicoot makes the PS1 laser move more times than the laser was lifetime rated for.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sonic Adventure is much better than any of the Crash games. I’ll give it that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Crash Bandicoot characters feel like they were created for a Taco Bell kids meal extended universe.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Apparently a full playthrough of Crash Bandicoot makes the PS1 laser move more times than the laser was lifetime rated for.

Naughty Dog did some Rareware level vodoo to get those games looking like they did as early into the psx's lifespan Crash 1 was.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Yeah, basically the game was constantly loading / unloading data in order to stay under the PS1's 2MB memory limit (they had 4 bytes to spare)

https://www.quora.com/How-did-game-...id=z9ZA&share=1

They also managed to produce a timing bug in the hardware of the PS1 that could wipe your memory card if you pressed buttons on the controller when the game was saving.

https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DaveBaggett/20131031/203788/My_Hardest_Bug_Ever.php

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

crash is great but its donkey kong not mario or sonic so it doesnt really care if you keep dying and dont win

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Today I learned that apparently Australia is the only place where it's see-guh and not say-ga. :psyduck: for some reason we just got our own official pronunciation. Even ads the company made used see-guh down here. And when you run a mega drive at 50Hz PAL the Sega noise at the start can sound like see-guh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The important thing to put this into perspective is that SA1 came out a year before Donkey Kong 64.