Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

hes a dumbshit and his auteur ideas are bad but he also made two of the best scifi movies of all time so who am i to judge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

bladerunner had moments but it completely loses the impact of the book by instead focusing on how sexy rutger hauer was in his prime

alien is great though no complaints there, masterpiece

it's a george lucas level fluke though arguably based on his body of work

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Percelus posted:

bladerunner had moments but it completely loses the impact of the book by instead focusing on how sexy rutger hauer was in his prime

Genius directing

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Someone mentioned F Plus a few pages ago and I really don't listen to it, but their Drugs! episode has a dramatic reading of the classic 'SWIM skates' post and for that alone I think it deserves recognition.
https://thefpl.us/episode/241 at about 55:40 or so.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

~~~someone~~~

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Percelus posted:

It had an impact on me

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

ATP_Power posted:

Someone mentioned F Plus a few pages ago and I really don't listen to it, but their Drugs! episode has a dramatic reading of the classic 'SWIM skates' post and for that alone I think it deserves recognition.

everyone needs to get a DDEER!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ATP_Power posted:

i've tried f plus over the years here and there and just don't really get into it. idk why bc i love terrible things but it just feels kinda weirdly aimless and hosts aren't very good. i'll try to listen to that one

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Xaris posted:

i've tried f plus over the years here and there and just don't really get into it. idk why bc i love terrible things but it just feels kinda weirdly aimless and hosts aren't very good. i'll try to listen to that one

Try the latest episode, they've changed over the years and the Christian Poetry Episode feat. Roy Moore is gonna be a good fit for cspammers

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
f plus more like f minus

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Muppets On PCP posted:

f plus more like f minus

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Percelus posted:

hot take - do androids dream of electric sheep is far superior to bladerunner, it's all style no substance with the cut parts like mercerism from the novel that give it subtext and depth

also death stranding is basically the empathy box, gj kojima

ridley scott is that gundam nerd missing the message meme

Yeah!

But the opposite of what you said, nerd

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i like commodus in gladiator

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Bladerunner: humans are dogshit. Androids are sexy perfect hardbodies that yearn for the lives we no longer find any joy in. Harrison Ford uses a nerd voice to unsuccessfully trick a lady. God tier

Androids dream of electric sheep: what if religion was VR and also fake. Robots are evil. Deckard's wife nags him that the emotion box is broken. Everyone is mentally disabled because of space poison or something. Yawn boo

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
kipple is the most important concept in Androids Dream. "the entire universe is moving toward a state of total, absolute kippleization."

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

T-man posted:

Try the latest episode, they've changed over the years and the Christian Poetry Episode feat. Roy Moore is gonna be a good fit for cspammers

their Alex Jones episode is by and far their worst, so this has me a bit worried

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

rojava pod

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1119-the-womens-war-59464911/?fbclid=IwAR1iqGhQMqSKw-KYhG6rpvFQEXd1eIR06GcPYp2lTYJomZOFCiYJqfpNuLM

Victory Position posted:

their Alex Jones episode is by and far their worst, so this has me a bit worried

lol how'd they gently caress up that subject

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

i say swears online posted:

lol how'd they gently caress up that subject

they're reading crap off the website

it's not terrible things posted by other people, it's straight up ad copy for half of it; I think they get to user comments, but ugh getting through to them

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

bladerunner- what if deckard was a replicant the entire time esque m night nonsense

androids- if you think the robot frog is real then does it matter if it's not, whatever makes you happy man

also robots are evil is not the take away, i'm p sure robots are evil, humans are evil, robots are good, humans are good, it's like the individual and their choices so a robot can be more human than a human and a human more cold and calculated than a robot

robots being evil is clearly a prejudiced line of thinking perpetrated by the society to dehumanize them, because they are supposed to be cheap disposable labor

Percelus has issued a correction as of 07:02 on Apr 22, 2020

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

also everyone is mentally ill because of the extreme social isolation caused by radioactive fallout, they barely interact with other people which turns out causes psychiatric problems in people

the most common and reliable means of interacting with each other is virtually through the empathy boxes

total dumb bullshit never going to reflect anything happening irl :v:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

2049 had a better plot anyways

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
talk about damning with praise

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Percelus posted:

bladerunner- what if deckard was a replicant the entire time esque m night nonsense

androids- if you think the robot frog is real then does it matter if it's not, whatever makes you happy man

also robots are evil is not the take away, i'm p sure robots are evil, humans are evil, robots are good, humans are good, it's like the individual and their choices so a robot can be more human than a human and a human more cold and calculated than a robot

robots being evil is clearly a prejudiced line of thinking perpetrated by the society to dehumanize them, because they are supposed to be cheap disposable labor

crap, all crap

bring on the real poo poo, bring on VALIS

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I, Robot (movie w/ Will Smith) is a better story than blade runner

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
It's okay for a movie to be all style no substance, it only lasts 90 minutes.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

"Actually Ridley Scott is bad at making movies" is the sort of permanently online nerd opinion you can happily disregard as clearly stupid.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
ridley scott whips

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

im not saying ridley didnt make a few decent pics but he has created a lot, a LOT, more crap than good movies and many of his more successful projects are vastly overrated like gladiator and black hawk down

pound for pound tony was the better filmmaker :goonsay:

legend is easily one of ridley's top 3 films

Percelus has issued a correction as of 12:02 on Apr 22, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

rip The Last Duel

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
"overrated" is a meaningless word, it's a criticism of the buzz around the movie rather than the movie itself

but yeah Gladiator sucks. It's like they wanted to make a Spartacus movie, but they also wanted the army and the troops to be goodies, so they made Spartacus a troop, and he ended it by fixing the Roman empire instead of trying to burn it down

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Percelus posted:

im not saying ridley didnt make a few decent pics but he has created a lot, a LOT, more crap than good movies and many of his more successful projects are vastly overrated like gladiator and black hawk down

pound for pound tony was the better filmmaker :goonsay:

legend is easily one of ridley's top 3 films
Oh yeah, but I'd go to bat for Gladiator and Black Hawk Down.

I absolutely wouldn't loving bat for A Good Year though. No one ever mentions that turd when talking about his bad movies.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Percelus posted:

The "deckard might be a replicant" thing was only added in the director's cut and Harrison Ford famously hates it

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

what really hurts ridley imo is his legit stinkers like exodus and kingdom of heaven are appallingly bad. when talking about his work the painful memory of sitting through some of them anchor down my opinions of the man greatly

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The Kingdom of Heaven Directors Cut owns though. Never saw the theatrical cut, but people who have seen both versions say that the improvement the DC brings is vast.

Admittedly you do still have to watch Orlando Bloom, but on the other hand you also get to watch Eva Green.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

does it still have the scene were the french peasant teaches arabs how to irrigate? god that was cringe

look at me i'm a white man teaching these filthy brown savages how to make the desert bloom

alan dershowitz gets off to that part

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
The Duellists is his best film + all about how to have and maintain posters energy (Harvey Keitel)

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Krazyface posted:

"overrated" is a meaningless word, it's a criticism of the buzz around the movie rather than the movie itself

quote:

If you’re going to convey an impression that you’ve got everything figured out, you need to remember that every band or artist in history is either underrated or overrated. Only you are the true arbiter of how to correctly rate any given band, since you are immune to the hype, nostalgia, and politics that make up the critical reputation of a musical act. Within you is the single flawless barometer that reveals the true quality of every band in the universe. Make sure to use it whenever possible, for it is a mainstay of smugness.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

gladiator won the loving oscar for best picture, took home 5 oscars total and nominated for 12. it was the biggest movie of 2000 hands down. i don't think saying it is held in high esteem relative to it's actual quality is a meaningless observation

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
blade runners opening is so much better than the entirety of the dumb book or even the rest of the movie
second best opening prob theatrical run miami vice

that said, ridley's brother, tony, deserved more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i cant help but love the dark knight opening that is like a mini version of heat about how the most rad and jokerfied thing you can is backstab everyone for all the loot and wear a clown face on your clown face