Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jackhunter64 posted:

but without the tents and bins getting set on fire on the last night.
Optimistic that the medical incinerators don't get horrifically backlogged and that's the only option.

e: in April 1995 all the phone area codes changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

self isolation doing real damage

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

jackhunter64 posted:

Official figures would be Wembley Arena with a couple of thousand bodies still in the queue outside, the FT ones would be a two night show at the Manchester Arena. By the end of the summer the care home/unofficial count will be like the Leeds Festival but without the tents and bins getting set on fire on the last night.

thanks

and wow

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

There was a later update on their twitter saying that he'd been talked down, and sounding like it was mental health issues.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you go on your balcony and start shooting guns then yes I think that's a mental health problem happening or you're a member of the aristocracy.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Angrymog posted:

There was a later update on their twitter saying that he'd been talked down, and sounding like it was mental health issues.

No poo poo, where'd he get all those guns.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Video the gunman shot is prominent on Twitter, I won't share it (and I kept the volume off). It genuinely looks like someone suffering isolation madness and wanting to get arrested than either an attempt to kill people or suicide-by-cop.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

UK constituencies generally run between 40 and 80 thousand people. So just imagine everyone in one of those dying and it'll be accurate for the next few weeks.

Well, every eligible voter, presumably (no kids, not most foreigns). Otherwise that * 650 sounds a bit low for the UK population.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am genuinely curious where he got the fetching blue G36, a glock, and... a pair of desert eagles???

Is he trying to re-enact CSGO or something? Those are expensive even in places with an open market.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 22, 2020

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
There's been the first reported case in a refugee camp, so we'll get to see just how badly it wipes out people in that situation.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

OwlFancier posted:

If you go on your balcony and start shooting guns then yes I think that's a mental health problem happening or you're a member of the aristocracy.

Just for the record, I was reporting that the cops said, not making my own judgement. I thought people would be interested, rather than using it to score weird one-upmanship points.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

At least most people would be indoors.

Death stats - the government is saying the equivalent of everyone in Truro has died, when its more like all of Salisbury.

Or 2 and a half football pitches with the dead stood up, compared to 6.

Or 216 buses compared to 615

Or 3400 cars full compared to 14000

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

I am genuinely curious where he got the fetching blue G36, a glock, and... a pair of desert eagles???

Is he trying to re-enact CSGO or something? Those are expensive even in places with an open market.

Yeah I assumed it'd be just some guy going nuts with a .22 plinker or something before actally reading the story and going :aaa: :aaa: :aaa:

Like even if you're well-connected a G36 is not something you can easily aquire in the UK, as far as I'm aware.

E: Oh nevermind, it's apparently imitations: https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/22/terrifying-cache-fake-guns-found-flat-chatham-gunman-12592451/

nurmie fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 22, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Angrymog posted:

Just for the record, I was reporting that the cops said, not making my own judgement. I thought people would be interested, rather than using it to score weird one-upmanship points.

Wasn't trying to have a go at you, so sorry if I came across like that. It's the kind of thing they often put out on press releases and it really feels like one of those things journalists do to pad word count.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
It says the guns are all imitations?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

justcola posted:

Death stats - the government is saying the equivalent of everyone in Truro has died, when its more like all of Salisbury.

One of these ratios is not like the others

But they do give me a clearer picture than either concert or sports venues. Who attends those, pfft

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The real soldiers are out (so I got these instead)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

justcola posted:

How many Olympic sized swimming pools?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Imitations at least explains why they're the most tacticool choices possible :v:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Cerv posted:

could you redo that as concert hall venues?

If you laid out all those corpses end to end, how many times could you go to the moon and back?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

OwlFancier posted:

Wasn't trying to have a go at you, so sorry if I came across like that. It's the kind of thing they often put out on press releases and it really feels like one of those things journalists do to pad word count.

No worries. :)

And yeah, imitations makes the most sense.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

If you laid out all those corpses end to end, how many times could you go to the moon and back?

If you took all those corpses and laid them on the ground in a 5x5 square you'd cause a great deal of distress to their families and loved ones.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Orange Devil posted:

you can go to the moon and back any time you want, it's ok. No need to line up corpses first

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Aramoro posted:

Are we trying to come up with a series of UKMT standard weights and measures, like the ones that ElReg use?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Isomermaid posted:

you can go to the moon and back any time you want, it's ok. No need to line up corpses first

Look buddy I didn't join this billionaire dick swinging spacerace for there not to be a massive amount of corpses involved.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Angrymog posted:

Are we trying to come up with a series of UKMT standard weights and measures, like the ones that ElReg use?

If the corpses were beans, how many backsides would we need?

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Angrymog posted:

It's not much less than the number of current Oxbridge students

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
If the dead were money, they would be 1/875 of an Andy Carroll rather than 1/2000.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
This is actually grim as gently caress by the way and I vaguely regret taking part in it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Wowie zowie

Who would have thought?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
There's a lot of dead people but also a lot more dead people. So in total it's really a lot of dead people.

/Stalin statistiks

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

HJB posted:

"This is actually grim as gently caress by the way and I vaguely regret taking part in it." - A History of the British Empire

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Imitations at least explains why they're the most tacticool choices possible :v:

The bright blue is a legal requirement for airsoft guns if you don't have an exemption certificate - the ammo in the picture I've seen looked like .22, so probably starter pistol blanks.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Aramoro posted:

An Olympic-size swimming pool is a nominal 50m by 25m, so 1,250m2 and safe bathing recommends a maximum pool capacity of 1 person/1.5m2, so 830 people per pool or so if they're not doing serious swimming.

But you can drain it, and UK Green Guide - Guide to Safety at Sports Grounds states 4.7 people per square metre for standing viewing areas, so you could pack 5,875 into a drained Olympic-size swimming pool.

But they're all dead, so you don't have to have them standing or obey crush safety, and the mean packing density of human corpses is

HJB posted:

This is actually grim as gently caress by the way and I vaguely regret taking part in it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
If the death rate in care homes is as high as being suggested by some figures, given the elderly's vulnerability to the virus, I guess you have to assume a much higher proportion of the general population have already had Corona and just either been asymptomatic or had a relatively mild experience.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

as if brits regret the empire

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

as if brits regret the empire

They Regret it didn't last longer. There were still like 20-30 countries we hadn't invaded.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Maugrim posted:

But they do give me a clearer picture than either concert or sports venues. Who attends those, pfft

Well, just at the moment, not very many people at all!

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Since we're all into comparing this to a war, the 41,000 figure the FT are quoting is roughly the same amount of UK civilians killed during the 8 months of the Blitz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Is it ok that I'm finding myself having to actively not think of the new figures as anything more than A Number? It worries me that I've been doing that for awhile now.

It's pretty much how I cope, because I started this whole thing actively worrying about/vividly imagining the plight of the victims and their families and it was making me a mess.

But that is also how tories and capitalists think

EDIT like, I feel like I should be way more upset about today's news, but I kinda saw it coming anyway