Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

General Battuta posted:

I just checked out an ARC for an upcoming Tor debut called THE BLACKTONGUE THIEF. It wasn't really my speed, but if you like Abercrombie-style low fantasy with a bit more fun and a lot less bleak it might be your thing! No idea if it's going to get a big PR push but it's from the same editor who acquired THE BAND by Nicholas Eames, which I think did pretty well for Orbit.

I saw a thing for that recently, it's not my fav genre but was mildly interested till I read ... 'and a one-eyed rescue cat'.

Gave me David Webber vibes. Glad to hear there's more to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I was actually surprised Bova is that old generation. Probably because until 2018 there were zero Finnish translations of his work, having not read anything from him I had mentally placed him with twenty years or so younger writers.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

DOWNLOAD MURDERBOT 2 TODAY

e: poof

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 21, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

StrixNebulosa posted:

e: If you miss any of the Murderbot novellas from Tor, PM me, I'll share. Even if you aren't in the US.

Um, technically, this is warez; don't say it

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He meant he'll share the download link with you so you can legally download it from Tor.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Gone, sorry about that.

pseudanonymous posted:

He meant he'll share the download link with you so you can legally download it from Tor.

I'm a girl and ehhh I mean yeah sure.

ANYWAYS, BOOKS

I've been made a fool: I bought Cry Pilot by Joel Dane last year and figured I'd hold onto it until the sequels dropped, and today I learned that the sequels will NEVER drop. They are only coming out as ebooks, and as a physical book reader I am screwed. :sigh:

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Tales from Earthsea (Earthsea #5) by Ursula K LeGuin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZX86BO/

The Other Wind (Earthsea #6) by Ursula K LeGuin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004H1U22E

The Broken Sword by Poul Anderson - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PI181JI/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Safety Biscuits posted:

Yes, Gunn was published earlier, but Bova's had a more recent publication (a novel in 2019), so I'm awarding him the arbitrary wreath for now. Congrats Jedit.

Do we get to count posthumous publications? Because Heinlein (only counting novels) was first published 1947 (Rocket Ship Gaileo) and had a novel come out last month (The Pursuit of the Pankera, an alternate version of The Number of The Beast).

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

ulmont posted:

Do we get to count posthumous publications? Because Heinlein (only counting novels) was first published 1947 (Rocket Ship Gaileo) and had a novel come out last month (The Pursuit of the Pankera, an alternate version of The Number of The Beast).

Ehhhh.....lots of scifi authors who grew up reading Heinlein have done authorized (and many more unauthorized) rewrites of Heinleins stories, Spider Robinson, John Scalzi, Charles Stross, John Barnes, etc. For scifi authors/scifi fans of Heinlein of a certain age, rewriting Heinlein is catnip similar to how Xenophon & Belisarius are catnip to mil-scifi /mil-fiction writers of all ages.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Pringles cans are coming out every day, Gene Wolfe should count as permanently active.

And if you use that comparison, you have got to count Doc EE Smith as permanently active too. EE Smith was a food scientist, his Phd thesis was about wheat and worked on donut recipe stuff.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 22, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

quantumfoam posted:

Ehhhh.....lots of scifi authors who grew up reading Heinlein have done authorized (and many more unauthorized) rewrites of Heinleins stories, Spider Robinson, John Scalzi, Charles Stross, John Barnes, etc. For scifi authors/scifi fans of Heinlein of a certain age, rewriting Heinlein is catnip similar to how Xenophon & Belisarius are catnip to mil-scifi /mil-fiction writers of all ages.

And David Gerrold, who has published takes on Starship Troopers, The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, and the Heinlein Juveniles in general.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

pradmer posted:

The Broken Sword by Poul Anderson - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PI181JI/

Get this, it owns.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Groke posted:

Get this, it owns.

Totally forgot that existed and I wanted to read it at some point.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Safety Biscuits posted:

Speaking of dinosaurs, here's something to discuss. Who is the oldest currently active sf writer? I'm referring to their careers, not the number of candles on their cake. Michael Moorcock was first published in the late 50s, but doesn't seem to have published anything since 2015. Samuel R. Delany's first novel was in 1960, and he published a novella in 2018, which seems like it counts, and Larry Niven (first published in 1964) has, according to Wikipedia, a co-authorship credit on a book this year, but you don't know how much he wrote...

Can you think of anyone else from the 60s who's still active?

I was gonna say CJ Cherryh, who's rad, but she didn't actually start publishing until the late 1970's.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Murderbot 3 is free today, go go go!

https://ebookclub.tor.com/

(yes I will be posting a reminder for 4 tomorrow)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

quantumfoam posted:

And if you use that comparison, you have got to count Doc EE Smith as permanently active too. EE Smith was a food scientist, his Phd thesis was about wheat and worked on donut recipe stuff.
But did they put his face on them? :colbert:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The man (EE Smith) was heavy into eugenics and worked on donut recipes.
Any number of 'donut/cream filled donut/cream filling' jokes spring to mind.

Poul Anderson's Three Hearts Three Lions is pretty good, and never seems to go on sale, sadly. Three Hearts Three Lions was heavily mined for it's content when TSR created Dungeons & Dragons. Alignment debates that regularly crop in up Traditional Games + the Order of the Pointed Stick threads can be directly blamed on Poul Anderson, and Gary Gygax/Dave Arneson.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Just finished reading Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City. Thanks for the thread for mentioning it. It was on sale a few weeks ago and I finally got around to reading it. It hit a scratch I didn't realize I wanted to hit. It kinda reminded me of The Goblin Emperor. Anyway, I think someone else asked a while back if any of his other work is similar if I'm hoping for more of the same or something similar but I can't seem to find the post. Anyone have any recs?

e: nvm found it:

buffalo all day posted:

Read The Folding Knife next. And maybe his short story collection.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Murderbot 3 is free today, go go go!

(yes I will be posting a reminder for 4 tomorrow)

I appreciate this.

Xtanstic fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 22, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Xtanstic posted:

I appreciate this.
So do I, thanks for the reminders. I enjoy Murderbot but not enough to pay the asking price for the books.

e: For the KJ Parker recs, I find his books to be very samey, but I liked the Engineer trilogy the most. It's all depressing as hell, of course.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 22, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Xtanstic posted:

Just finished reading Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City. Thanks for the thread for mentioning it. It was on sale a few weeks ago and I finally got around to reading it. It hit a scratch I didn't realize I wanted to hit. It kinda reminded me of The Goblin Emperor. Anyway, I think someone else asked a while back if any of his other work is similar if I'm hoping for more of the same or something similar but I can't seem to find the post. Anyone have any recs?

e: nvm found it:

I appreciate this.

:cheers:

As for your question, maybe have a look at his Sharps? I started it, then got hit in the face by the stress of the pandemic and couldn't continue it, but it seemed promisingly dark, and it's a standalone to boot. Fencing, politics, and horrible death!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

General Battuta posted:

I just checked out an ARC for an upcoming Tor debut called THE BLACKTONGUE THIEF. It wasn't really my speed, but if you like Abercrombie-style low fantasy with a bit more fun and a lot less bleak it might be your thing! No idea if it's going to get a big PR push but it's from the same editor who acquired THE BAND by Nicholas Eames, which I think did pretty well for Orbit.

This sounds interesting but it doesn't come out until May of 2021 unfortunately. Unless you know how I can get an ARC.

I just finished rereading Abercrombie's A Little Hatred. Still good! My favorite part is the wizards buzzing around on the sidelines, exercising so much influence while the protagonists hardly pay them attention and think they're annoying, and can't seem to get while everyone from the previous generation is so afraid of them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ccs posted:

This sounds interesting but it doesn't come out until May of 2021 unfortunately. Unless you know how I can get an ARC.

I just finished rereading Abercrombie's A Little Hatred. Still good! My favorite part is the wizards buzzing around on the sidelines, exercising so much influence while the protagonists hardly pay them attention and think they're annoying, and can't seem to get while everyone from the previous generation is so afraid of them.

To obtain ARCs:

- make a blog
- post reviews for books
- make a netgalley account
- request books

Apparently it's surprisingly easy and you won't get everything you request, but you will get some books and as your percentage builds you'll get more.

Source: my friends and their blogs. They are not goons but they're cool people who read way too much, and keep trying to tempt me into getting ARCs as well, but I'm too much of a mood reader to get ARCs.

https://blackforestbasilisks.home.blog/
https://keikiieatsbooks.wordpress.com/
https://otherworldsreviews.wordpress.com/

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Will Wight has finished his Elder Empire series, last book(s) come out on Friday, and in celebration he is making the first 4 books available for free and each of the new books will be $3 each.

I haven't started reading this series yet since I was waiting for him to finish but his Traveler's Gate and Cradle series are both fun reads so looking forward to it.

An interesting thing about this series is he releases two books at a time and they cover the same time frame and basic subject but from different perspectives, ie the protagonist from book 1a becomes the antagonist in book 1b.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/KateElliottSFF/status/1253015055643205633

ToxicFrog didn't like it, I'm halfway through the first one and loving it, for this price you should pick up this epic fantasy trilogy and tell us what you think. The first is 2$, the second is 4$, the third 5$.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

StrixNebulosa posted:

To obtain ARCs:

- make a blog
- post reviews for books
- make a netgalley account
- request books

Apparently it's surprisingly easy and you won't get everything you request, but you will get some books and as your percentage builds you'll get more.

Source: my friends and their blogs. They are not goons but they're cool people who read way too much, and keep trying to tempt me into getting ARCs as well, but I'm too much of a mood reader to get ARCs.

https://blackforestbasilisks.home.blog/
https://keikiieatsbooks.wordpress.com/
https://otherworldsreviews.wordpress.com/

I really want to do this mainly due to two specific authors (Tamsyn Muir and Marko Kloos), but I don't know if I have the energy to write reviews of every book I read beyond a couple of sentences.

Oh, well. I'll just have to wait with the rest of the non-ARC proletariat.

Edit: I do want to say thanks to everyone who contributes to this thread, because you've suggested some good books to read and that always makes my day when I find a new book I enjoy.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 22, 2020

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Someone several weeks ago suggested Dragon's Egg by Robert Forward and I threw it on my list. Just finished it last night and thought it was pretty good; I enjoy "big scale" stories about the rise and fall of empires. ("Big" being a relative term here since the aliens are practically microscopic.) I thought all the sections with humans were unbearably plodding and slow with cheesy, overexplained dialogue that didn't use enough contractions--but about halfway through I started wondering whether that was a deliberate style choice for contrast.

I don't think I'm going to check out the sequel unless someone promises that it's really awesome though; it seems unnecessary and I've got other stuff I want to read. Started I Am Legend by Richard Matheson this morning because despite seeing multiple movie adaptations I've never read the original.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
I read the original back in high school (so 20+ years ago), and I've been disappointed in the adaptations. I'm sure I don't remember any problematic bits anymore, but the overall story was very good, and at the time the ending surprised me (in a good way).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

You can also just buy ARCs if you really want to. It's not a whole lot better than piracy as neither the author nor the publisher see anything from such sales, but you can assuage your guilt by also buying a copy of the book when it's actually released.

That said, an ARC of something like Harrow is going to cost you because everyone wants to read it early.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ornamented Death posted:

You can also just buy ARCs if you really want to. It's not a whole lot better than piracy as neither the author nor the publisher see anything from such sales

Unless you buy from Baen, which has an impressive markup on electronic ARCs.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Glen Cook: is he still writing? From my googling it looks like his Instrumentalities series was left permanently unfinished(?) due to low sales.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Glen Cook: is he still writing? From my googling it looks like his Instrumentalities series was left permanently unfinished(?) due to low sales.

Instrumentalities got an :effort: ending that could have been picked up later if interested had ever piqued.

Then Cook wrote an interquel (in between books 1 and 2) to the Black Company that was at best ok and at worst gross.

Cook's about to turn 76 so I wouldn't get my hopes up for anything new.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
FYI Harrow the Ninth’a whole first act is available on Amazon for free. Note that at the halfway point it is not very happy and has invited way more questions than I will have answered until it’s out in the fall.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ulmont posted:

Instrumentalities got an :effort: ending that could have been picked up later if interested had ever piqued.

Then Cook wrote an interquel (in between books 1 and 2) to the Black Company that was at best ok and at worst gross.

That's...frustrating, but thank you for the info. I wish authors didn't get old like that.

The next time I'm in the mood for dark stuff I should take another gander at the Black Company, maybe try the Dread Empire. Hmm.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Velius posted:

FYI Harrow the Ninth’a whole first act is available on Amazon for free. Note that at the halfway point it is not very happy and has invited way more questions than I will have answered until it’s out in the fall.

I didn't think Harrow the Ninth would be as good as Gideon the Ninth given the way Gideon the Ninth wrapped up, and the sample chapter released a few months back didn't do anything to change that opinion, but this first act is really something.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

ulmont posted:

IIRC what happened with Instrumentalities was while he was writing the penultimate book the publisher said they were canceling the series after the next book, so finish it up.

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's...frustrating, but thank you for the info. I wish authors didn't get old like that.

The next time I'm in the mood for dark stuff I should take another gander at the Black Company, maybe try the Dread Empire. Hmm.

Dread Empire is rougher but more epic fantasy in feel than Black Company if that helps any.

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer

wizzardstaff posted:

Someone several weeks ago suggested Dragon's Egg by Robert Forward and I threw it on my list....

I don't think I'm going to check out the sequel unless someone promises that it's really awesome though; it seems unnecessary...

For me the specifics of the sequel undercut the possibilities and sensawunda of the original's ending, so I support this lack of completionism.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

I've read four of the six best novel nominees (The City in the Middle of the Night, Gideon the Ninth, A Memory Called Empire, and The Ten Thousand Doors of January), and I'd be happy with any one of them being the winner, although I think I'm leaning towards The Ten Thousand Doors of January. Or maybe Gideon the Ninth.

This is How You win the Time War was good, but nobody competes with Ted Chiang.

OK, I've read the other two Best Novel nominees -- Middlegame is also excellent, and The Light Bridage is fine. It isn't great, but I don't regret the time I spent reading it, its just that if somebody asked me to recommend a book to read it'd never even occur to me to mention it. The bootcamp sequence at the beginning is boring and way too long, but the prose was adequate enough that I stuck with it until I got to the meat of the story, unfortunately the time travel gimmick that makes the story actually interesting doesn't make any sense at all.

The Ten Thousand Doors of January > Gideon the Ninth > Middlegame > A Memory Called Empire > The City in the Middle of the Night >>> The Light Brigade, although I think maybe the first two could be reversed?

Gideon the Ninth has a voice that is delightful in a way that I don't think I've ever encounter before.
The Ten Thousand Doors of January is a WOC middle-finger-to-the-british-white-supremacist-patriarchy wish fulfillment fantasy that is very satisfying.
A Memory Called Empire is a great scifi detective political thriller.
The City in the Middle of the Night is definitely the most literary, but I'm not in this for literary works and it is the kind of downer that I really don't want in 2020's hellworld.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Apr 23, 2020

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

wizzardstaff posted:

Someone several weeks ago suggested Dragon's Egg by Robert Forward and I threw it on my list. Just finished it last night and thought it was pretty good; I enjoy "big scale" stories about the rise and fall of empires. ("Big" being a relative term here since the aliens are practically microscopic.) I thought all the sections with humans were unbearably plodding and slow with cheesy, overexplained dialogue that didn't use enough contractions--but about halfway through I started wondering whether that was a deliberate style choice for contrast.

I don't think I'm going to check out the sequel unless someone promises that it's really awesome though; it seems unnecessary and I've got other stuff I want to read. Started I Am Legend by Richard Matheson this morning because despite seeing multiple movie adaptations I've never read the original.

I liked the sequel just fine but it's not awesome and isn't necessary.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Murderbot 4 is live, go get it!

C.M. Kruger posted:

IIRC what happened with Instrumentalities was while he was writing the penultimate book the publisher said they were canceling the series after the next book, so finish it up.

Dread Empire is rougher but more epic fantasy in feel than Black Company if that helps any.

Publishers who cancel series in the middle should rot :argh:

God I'm so frustrated over what happened to Kate Elliott's Black Wolves, the publisher did her poorly and that universe is just left hanging in the wind.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Well it's preferable to the alternative, I think :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Well it's preferable to the alternative, I think :v:

All of my favorite authors are supposed to live on as immortal cyborgs at the peak of their skills. :colbert: