Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

First time posting here, made some roast chicken with an italian herb rub with roasted portabello mushrooms and boiled potatoes.

This is not my cow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

What recipe is that? We plan on doing the Chef John foodwishes.com recipe this weekend.

it's based on the foodnetwork.com one (here https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/georgian-cheese-and-egg-bread-adjaruli-khachapuri-3626548)

i didn't actually have any milk so i replaced it with 1oz heavy cream & 1oz almond milk, turned out just fine. i also like to add a bit of cheddar to the cheese but that's just me

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

lamb cheesesteak with caramelized onions.

Everything in this post looked delicious but love this idea especially, what'd you do for the cheese?

Been working on fried chicken this week and was really happy with this Korean inspired sandwich:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Mango curry tonight.

I think I like to plate with the curry in a bowl and rice separately on a plate better, but then there’s twice as many dishes to do :effort:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Made a pizza today

pepperoni, mushroom, onion

definitely far from perfect, but turned out pretty good and I devoured it

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Bought a basil plant so pizza party

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I confit'd some quacker (along with some nice local greens tossed with a mustard-cider vinaigrette made with some of the leftover duck fat)

edit: I did not realize until I started eating that the other side of the duck legs were much prettier and should have been facing up in this picture, but I am not an artist, merely a conveyor of fat, protein and carbohydrates into my mouth

edit2: also I made a carrot cake. I am bad at frosting things but idgaf I'm super pumped to cut into it tomorrow

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 22, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Roast lamb and trifle.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Numerous intermediate steps not pictured.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
A few things over the past couple of weeks for myself and the better half:

Sweet and sour chicken served on glass noodles;

Easter Sunday meal: 24hr brined with aromatic herbs and spices and compressed pork belly, served with 3 cheese mash potatoes, butter-braised leek and cabbage with a hint of caraway, yorkshire puddings, and pork veloute sauce;

Medley of peri-peri chicken thighs, ramson, parsley, paprika and onion wedges, minted coleslaw with celery seed;

'Using up bits in the fridge special' of chicken singapore fried rice with laoganma;

Hot and spicy chicken and halloumi skewers on chargrilled pepper and onion with salt, parsley and pink pepper shoestring fries.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Olpainless posted:

A few things over the past couple of weeks for myself and the better half:

Hot and spicy chicken and halloumi skewers on chargrilled pepper and onion with salt, parsley and pink pepper shoestring fries.

Everything looked nice, but these in particular. Would.

I made an enourmous cauliflower cheese w/ crispy bacon, spring onion and pork loin steaks.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Krieger posted:

Everything in this post looked delicious but love this idea especially, what'd you do for the cheese?

I split the bread open, put thick slices of Gruyere on the top half, and cold lamb gravy on the bottom half, and stuck it under the broiler until melty and bubbly.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Raikiri posted:

Everything looked nice, but these in particular. Would.

I made an enourmous cauliflower cheese w/ crispy bacon, spring onion and pork loin steaks.

Thanks!

That cauliflower cheese alone looks a fine meal in itself, drat.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Taco Time!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Ddddouble posting with Pollo a la plancha, black beans and rice.

And 50% whole wheat pan cubano.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

toplitzin posted:

Ddddouble posting with Pollo a la plancha, black beans and rice.

And 50% whole wheat pan cubano.

I saw that on serious eats, looks great, i gotta try it.

Did a 135° tenderloin tonight with a quick creamy mushroom sauce:

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Huli huli chicken. Was pretty tasty.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

large hands posted:

I saw that on serious eats, looks great, i gotta try it.

Did a 135° tenderloin tonight with a quick creamy mushroom sauce:

I say goddamn

Pizza night

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

You can eat biscuits and gravy for dinner.

Biscuits & Gravy by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Chorizo makes it dinner food.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Saffron risotto & dark chocolate mousse from 'Eating with the Chefs'

Pretty good, have to work on my egg whites / chocolate ratios.

edit: and to clean my loving forks before I take a photo

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Lamb kofte grilled in the Ooni

Dulce de leche instant pot cheesecake with peanut butter cookie crumb crust

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
The photography isn’t as good as some in the thread but this turned out so drat tasty I had to post.

Detroit Style* Pizza. It’s been 3.5 weeks since my last grocery run, used up the last of my pepperoni and mozzarella and I need to get a mezzaluna. The crust was so drat fluffy with such a crispy edge and the sauce was amazingly bright (used the last of my frozen San marzano sauce.) it was a supreme act of will to not eat the whole goddamn thing.

*i don’t own one of those steel pans so glass will have to do.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Looks good Captain. Don't feel bad about lacking photography chops; my pics are poo poo too.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Been busy today. Started with making a key lime pie this morning. This is my second attempt at this recipe and I made the crust too thick last time. This time it came out a little crumbly, but it'll be fine. The first slice had some issues, but that's just kind of a pie thing and it won't be a problem going forward. The whipped cream has greek yogurt folded into it for some tartness.

For dinner (and future lunches) I made some Texas-style kolaches. This was a combination of feeling a little homesick and trying to figure out what to bring into work for lunch this week. This was my first attempt at kolaches and they turned out really well. This dough recipe is not quite as sweet as I'm used to from Shipley's, but they're still exactly what I wanted. Pork sausage, pickled jalapeños, and white cheddar.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Safety Factor posted:

Been busy today. Started with making a key lime pie this morning. This is my second attempt at this recipe and I made the crust too thick last time. This time it came out a little crumbly, but it'll be fine. The first slice had some issues, but that's just kind of a pie thing and it won't be a problem going forward. The whipped cream has greek yogurt folded into it for some tartness.

For dinner (and future lunches) I made some Texas-style kolaches. This was a combination of feeling a little homesick and trying to figure out what to bring into work for lunch this week. This was my first attempt at kolaches and they turned out really well. This dough recipe is not quite as sweet as I'm used to from Shipley's, but they're still exactly what I wanted. Pork sausage, pickled jalapeños, and white cheddar.

I really miss Texas kolaches, do you have a recipe for the dough / baking times and temps? Those came out well and I want to do some with egg and chorizo.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

Uhh, yeah. I hadn't seen those before and they look like something that would be devoured in my house. I've seen turnovers, dumplings, empanadas, and hand pies of every other persuasion, but this looks like another good addition to that stack of recipes. So any sort of recipe would be really appreciated.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
French onion (and mushroom!) soup with a nice fresh bread

The mushrooms were a really nice addition, can't believe I hadn't done that before

Not exactly pretty, but possibly the best egg sandwich I ever made on some that leftover bread

Fried up some bacon, crushed two strips and added to eggs to whip then cooked folded style in the grease, with toast also fried in grease and melted Swiss

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

All you guys posting french onion soup, how do you stop it being insanely salty? Every time I've had it, either home cooked or at a restaurant, I can't finish it because of the salt content.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

All you guys posting french onion soup, how do you stop it being insanely salty? Every time I've had it, either home cooked or at a restaurant, I can't finish it because of the salt content.

use less salt

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Arglebargle III posted:

I've heard adding onion can help :D

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Arglebargle III posted:

If you use homemade beef stock, you can control the salt better. Most boxed stock has a low/no sodium variety now which should give you more control. Even the low sodium stuff can get salty if you reduce it down too much.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

I really miss Texas kolaches, do you have a recipe for the dough / baking times and temps? Those came out well and I want to do some with egg and chorizo.

Jhet posted:

Uhh, yeah. I hadn't seen those before and they look like something that would be devoured in my house. I've seen turnovers, dumplings, empanadas, and hand pies of every other persuasion, but this looks like another good addition to that stack of recipes. So any sort of recipe would be really appreciated.
I did a bit of research at work the other day and after reading a few recipes I settled on the Homesick Texan's dough recipe:
https://www.homesicktexan.com/2020/03/boudin-kolaches.html
She's using boudin here, but that's an easy swap. She also has a recipe for the traditional sweet kolaches and the dough is basically the same.

I got given her book a long time ago when I was living in Canada for a year and it was really solid.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

If you use homemade beef stock, you can control the salt better. Most boxed stock has a low/no sodium variety now which should give you more control. Even the low sodium stuff can get salty if you reduce it down too much.

this is a better non-snarky reply. always look to how salty your base stocks are and consider how much saltier they'll be if you cook out a bunch of the water

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I use half boxed no sodium beef stock and half homemade very low sodium chicken stock, season the vegetables well as they cook, and only add any more salt at the very end to taste to avoid it being inedible after it reduces

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Resting Lich Face posted:

Looks good Captain. Don't feel bad about lacking photography chops; my pics are poo poo too.

Thanks. I’ll post more and worry less.

The leftovers were just as good cold as it was hot, btw.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

I did a bit of research at work the other day and after reading a few recipes I settled on the Homesick Texan's dough recipe:
https://www.homesicktexan.com/2020/03/boudin-kolaches.html
She's using boudin here, but that's an easy swap. She also has a recipe for the traditional sweet kolaches and the dough is basically the same.

I got given her book a long time ago when I was living in Canada for a year and it was really solid.

Thanks very much for this. That’s a good looking enriched dough, and while maybe not sweet enough for you, probably plenty sweet for me. And that looks like a great place to use boudin too, but I think I’ll have to make it myself. I don’t know the last time I saw it anywhere by me.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

large hands posted:

use less salt

I've never attempted making it because every time I've had it it's bad.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

I've never attempted making it because every time I've had it it's bad.

That's weird, I mean I've had a lot of salty soups over the years but there's nothing about French Onion soup that makes it more likely to be salty than any other. Unless people are making it from packets or something. But that's like saying chicken noodle soup is gross and salty because you've only had liptons.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

large hands posted:

But that's like saying chicken noodle soup is gross and salty because you've only had liptons.

I like Lipton chicken noodle soup :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Resting Lich Face posted:

I like Lipton chicken noodle soup :colbert:

so do i, with sliced up hotdogs in it