Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

kecske posted:

dont farmers still use bird bangers? Or perhaps some kind of stuffed mannequin on a broom handle.

horny is prohibited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I've been pretty much disregarding the numbers for ages because (a)they mean nothing to me, & (b)they're obviously bullshit anyway. A number is meaningless, but the real, observable effects are not. A massive field hospital just outside of town, a disproportionate number of hearses on the roads, two bereaved families that I know personally (am a shut in). Those things have meaning.

Camrath posted:

Rare for me to praise the filth, but good on them for taking the guy alive. Hope he gets the help he obviously needs.
I saw the video of his friends/flatmates/neighbours/whomever meeting the (heavily armed) pigs in the lobby, they managed to persuade them that he definitely wasn't armed by handing over all his "bullets".

Saw a bunch of young black men meeting armed cops to hand over bullets and thought fuuuucckk that. Brave lads, definitely saved his life.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

ThomasPaine posted:

Bad time to have my wisdom teeth decide to start growing again and play merry hell

Love to be completely incapable of biting food without also chewing the inside of my cheeks

E: I swear to god they have been growing a few mm at a time intermittently for what feels like years, just come through and impact or don't so that I can either get used to them or have them pulled and I can stop getting bloody teething pain as a 30 year old man.

There is a good chance this isn't caused by then growing but because of stuff getting stuck around them. Happens to me sometimes and is solved by more careful brushing. An electric toothbrush makes a huge difference for it due to the smaller head and it spinning if you don't have one

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Good thread regarding the fakeness of reported numbers, if anyone tries to tell you that the UK is only doing slightly worse than Ireland, for some reason

The Question IRL posted:

There's a really interesting thread here about Irelands reportednfeath rate for Covid 19 and how it compares to other countries.

https://twitter.com/Care2much18/status/1252819591090155523?s=19

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

justcola posted:

It's hard to really comprehend deaths in the thousands, millions - I can't even look at a picture of more than 12 dots or so and aware of how many there are besides 'a lot'.

If it makes you feel any better though, just think of all the people you know, worked with, chatted to, people in films, on the internet, then imagine them all being dead. It's still nowhere near the number of casualties but it starts putting things into perspective and a reminder that the Tories did gently caress all about it.

The magic number is 4. Numbers up to 4 you can count without actively counting, as your brain just knows how many there are just by looking. Anything larger than that you have to actively think about. It leads to a neat trick about counting large groups is just count groups of 4 - you'll find you'll recognize them much faster than groups of 5.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Farmer who owns the field behind my house spent most of the day doing laps in his tractor yesterday. Wasn't towing or doing anything, just taking a drive.

Ruined my sunbathing. And my neighbours dogs were going mental as they couldn't go for one of their many daily walks out there.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

OwlFancier posted:

A crying shame that they abandoned british innovation and stopped using the patented box full of shotgun shells with a clock in it that fired one into the air every hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnvzgCzgV9k

rally round the family with a clock - it full of shells

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's one model of starter pistol that was very easily converted to *reliably* fire .22 rimfire (also getting around the ammo availability problem) that was very popular with the scrotes in the 90s and early 00s. Obviously it was only the little target shooting rounds, so you pretty much had to be at point-blank range to kill someone (and even then it was a tossup - my neighbour's ex-husband got shot with one twice at point-blank range - one round bounced off his skull, and one went through his cheek and broke a couple of teeth).

Of course since they formed UK BORDER FORCE and told them to keep the forrins out, gutting the HMRC teams that used to inspect incoming cargo containers, huge amounts of proper guns and ammo have flooded the market, another triumph of Keeping Britane Safe by David Blunkett (although now I think of it it might have been Jacqui Smith, but it certainly feels like a Blunkett policy).

https://www.airgunmagazine.co.uk/features/air-cartridge-system-10-years-later/

This might be an interesting read for anyone interested. These were very popular in the 90s and early 2000s, but could be converted to fire live ammunition with varying degrees of success. Pretty much blanket banned with no compensation in 2003, something a lot of shooters are still understandably upset about today.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Despite how we’ve been running on a skeleton crew of essential personnel that cannot do our jobs from home since the lockdown began, the boomer directorship have decided they all want to come in for a big meeting next week.

Their funeral I guess.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The magic number is 4. Numbers up to 4 you can count without actively counting, as your brain just knows how many there are just by looking. Anything larger than that you have to actively think about. It leads to a neat trick about counting large groups is just count groups of 4 - you'll find you'll recognize them much faster than groups of 5.

Any evidence of that? Seems factoid.

E: imagining staring at a basket containing exactly 5 apples, frowning until a slow realisation creeps across my face

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Any evidence of that? Seems factoid

It's called Subitizing. It's the main difference in how humans can count and do math while animals can't.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Soylent Yellow posted:

https://www.airgunmagazine.co.uk/features/air-cartridge-system-10-years-later/

This might be an interesting read for anyone interested. These were very popular in the 90s and early 2000s, but could be converted to fire live ammunition with varying degrees of success. Pretty much blanket banned with no compensation in 2003, something a lot of shooters are still understandably upset about today.

Yeah, I used to own a Brocock Predator. Probably my favourite airgun, and I’ve owned a lot over the years. Super light, had a left handed stock and action put on it by a gunsmith and just so satisfying to shoot.

Such a stupid piece of legislation, and emblematic of New Labour authoritarianism.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nothingtoseehere posted:

It's called Subitizing. It's the main difference in how humans can count and do math while animals can't.

Interesting!

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Camrath posted:

Brocock Predator

mods

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I said 4, but it's not a hard cutoff more just what everyone can do. If I flash up a image of 4 apples in a basket for .1 of a second, 95% of people will be able to confidently say there was 4 apples. If I do the same for a 5 apple basket, less people will get it right, and they will be less confident in their guess. And so on for larger numbers - for 7 apples most people will just guess something in the 5-9 range etc.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1252931128375336960?s=19

A Labour leader the tories can be proud of

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I said 4, but it's not a hard cutoff more just what everyone can do. If I flash up a image of 4 apples in a basket for .1 of a second, 95% of people will be able to confidently say there was 4 apples. If I do the same for a 5 apple basket, less people will get it right, and they will be less confident in their guess. And so on for larger numbers - for 7 apples most people will just guess something in the 5-9 range etc.

I imagine there's a large amount of neuroplasticity involved here. Even as an adult I've found in my years looking at big spreadsheets I've become a lot more proficient at this kind of estimation. But I imagine it's a good baseline for the average person because schools don't really make an effort to develop this

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Nothing else highlights the level of political corruption in the UK quite like Osbourne becoming editor of the Evening Standard. Still just gobsmacking, every time I think about it.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/simulacrax/status/1252647607098318855?s=20

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

somehow kier as labour leader is depressing me more than the roni lol
probably shows my brain is broken though

he's already so loving useless and he sounds like a particularly boring chair of some dull thinktank

extremely sorry for the bad things i said about RLB being uninspiring, how little i knew

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

I imagine there's a large amount of neuroplasticity involved here. Even as an adult I've found in my years looking at big spreadsheets I've become a lot more proficient at this kind of estimation. But I imagine it's a good baseline for the average person because schools don't really make an effort to develop this

Yeah there's an old paper in Nature on this - that the subitizing capacity can be expanded after playing visaul-information dense video games

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Come on now, there's another 5% to be scooped up from the rump of the Lib Dems and then they'll be on... *checks calculator* 37%?!

poo poo.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The Tory polling figures are a self correcting problem

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

pitch a fitness posted:

Yeah there's an old paper in Nature on this - that the subitizing capacity can be expanded after playing visaul-information dense video games

Nature posted:

When asked to report the number of squares briefly flashed, VGPs were able to apprehend more items at once than were NVGPs (4.9 versus 3.3). Overall, VGPs were significantly more accurate than NVGPs (78% versus 65%, P < 0.003) and, as expected, this difference only emerged for numbers above the subitizing range of NVGPs. Error bars denote s.e.m. (*P < 0.05, **P < 0.01)

Paper

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lmao

https://twitter.com/hazcraig16/status/1252242446479753217?s=20

https://twitter.com/hazcraig16/status/1252243199273373697?s=20

https://twitter.com/hazcraig16/status/1252243879094616064?s=20

https://twitter.com/hazcraig16/status/1252247660171583490?s=20

not sure why but I expected it to take a bit longer before the rightists decided actually polls don't matter after all

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Where did this theory that Starmer is 'forensic' come from? I'm bewildered.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/656185120009809920

The more things change.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Just remembered this

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What kind of brain thinks "actually I like bland and ordinary and soon everyone else will too"

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

OwlFancier posted:

What kind of brain thinks "actually I like bland and ordinary and soon everyone else will too"

I wonder if he likes jam and manhole covers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

He was/is a lawyer, and head of CPS.

And suggesting that the head of CPS might not be an indication of competence is unthinkable for the kind of awful nerd who actually likes the system of government we have.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Centrist word-of-the-day calendar.

I'm seriously thinking of starting some kind of bot that scans for this sort of thing because I'm *certain* they're at best herd animals, but I strongly suspect there's some actually some ringing round and arm-bending going on.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

what's darkly fascinating is watching how the press have to be seen to be reporting the avalanche of news about government fuckery, while diluting the info in such a way that it doesn't make us look like one of those Official Bad Guy countries. so the guardian are rolling coverage of this car crash while also publishing lots of melt opinion pieces calling for unity and calm.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

begins with "b" and ends with "oomer"

Every Sunday thousands of roasts get jammed in the oven on 230c with gently caress all seasoning paired with veg so boiled it's flavourless mush.

Starmer is that meal.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

AceClown posted:

Every Sunday thousands of roasts get jammed in the oven on 230c with gently caress all seasoning paired with veg so boiled it's flavourless mush.

Starmer is that meal.

:discourse:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AceClown posted:

Starmer is that meal.

See I actually like that but I like that because to me it actually tastes good, I like bland food because to me, it isn't bland. I've never actually gone out to people and said "this tastes like nothing you should love it".

Actually saying that "this man is the most uninspiring unappealing man in the world and that's a good thing" is a level of brainworms I can't imagine.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
People want someone to say that "no don't worry, things are fine, ignore your lying eyes".

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

Actually saying that "this man is the most uninspiring unappealing man in the world and that's a good thing" is a level of brainworms I can't imagine.

It's like a throwback to the greyness of John Major

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

I once worked with a guy whose gf didn't like spicy food so she ate steak and chips with no pepper on it for most of her meals. I suspect there are many other people in England who share her affinity for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm aware that I'm probably gonna get a chorus of "Well DUH" to the realisation I've just had, but the harping on about the exit strategy is appealing directly to his base, who care only about things going "back to normal" - Fubpees, melts who wank to the 2012 Olympics, big brains who believe a million dead Iraqis is a small price to pay for Sure Start, they all just want to go back to not even having to pretend to care about politics apart from putting the tick in the box once every few years without the effects of that tick being thrown in their face and making them feel bad.