Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I was fine until I got to Rembertus Beerepoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Troy Queef posted:

a couple years ago a name I submitted made it to the Name of the Year bracket. i consider it one of my finest achievements.

What was it

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

i'm backing Chadfield Clapsaddle to win it all

unparalleled name. sublime

also i'm pretty sure "Perfecto Cuervo" has been featured in a previous year but i'm too lazy to go look

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
I'm putting everything on Dudley Onderdonk.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I have Jizyah Shorts' business card. My wife started a job last year in a field that is, I guess, adjacent to Ms. Shorts', right after the NOTY Deadcast. She came into work on one of her first days only to find her card waiting on her desk. We cherish it.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I have Jizyah Shorts' business card. My wife started a job last year in a field that is, I guess, adjacent to Ms. Shorts', right after the NOTY Deadcast. She came into work on one of her first days only to find her card waiting on her desk. We cherish it.

I want to say Jizyah got robbed last year but Pope Thrower is a hell of a name.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the funniest name last year was Mike Diaper and it wasn't even loving close

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

the funniest name last year was Mike Diaper and it wasn't even loving close

That was 2018 :colbert:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I know we can't really lionize SB Nation rightnow, I mean, who the gently caress Furloughs the Shutdown Fullcast.

But god loving damnit that Mariners series is so good.

That youtube comment sums it up - "I could watch a Jon Bois series on how I personally was a giant idiot, and still enjoy it."

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Da'quincy McKinstry vs Stetson President is a hard first round match up to call.

Also love the fact that the universe has produced at least three Lowell Snorfs

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/drewmagary/status/1252752455982612481

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

algebra testes posted:

I know we can't really lionize SB Nation rightnow, I mean, who the gently caress Furloughs the Shutdown Fullcast.

The last episode features some of the worst audio in the long, storied history, as well as a excellent indicator of what kind of people would furlough the Shutdown Fullcast. Pointing at the one guy everyone in the incredibly regional field of college football knows and saying "I don't know who that is" to the college football writers you're putting out of work is going to be someone's MBA capstone paper, and not in the good way like what you want.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Coco13 posted:

The last episode features some of the worst audio in the long, storied history, as well as a excellent indicator of what kind of people would furlough the Shutdown Fullcast. Pointing at the one guy everyone in the incredibly regional field of college football knows and saying "I don't know who that is" to the college football writers you're putting out of work is going to be someone's MBA capstone paper, and not in the good way like what you want.

I'm still in denial and telling myself the Fullcast and PAPN will come back someday rather than that group of people splitting off to the four winds, and that's probably the only way I'm going to be able to get through this 2 hour podcast series finale. loving Vox. :(

edit: Wait *what* is that "I don't know who that is" anecdote?! I missed that

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 22, 2020

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I mean they could do it without all working for the same company. But it would be an obstacle if they’re trying to get paid for their work.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

It's just furlough, right? I don't understand why everyone is acting like they're fired... Furlough means you can come back... Right?

.... Right?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Spaced God posted:

It's just furlough, right? I don't understand why everyone is acting like they're fired... Furlough means you can come back... Right?

.... Right?

It means things are up in the air and they could decide to rehire you or lay you off. And if you’re a writer who needs to support a family (i.e. Jason and Spencer) and can’t wait three months without pay, you might just take the first opportunity that comes along in the mean time.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Henchman of Santa posted:

It means things are up in the air and they could decide to rehire you or lay you off. And if you’re a writer who needs to support a family (i.e. Jason and Spencer) and can’t wait three months without pay, you might just take the first opportunity that comes along in the mean time.

Also they've been pretty clear without explicitly saying so that they expect these to turn into massive layoffs even of the people who weren't furloughed, because they have zero confidence in Vox Media's situation improving at all.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

wow this place has shirts for Evansville, Southern Indiana??? WABASH???

edit: based in Indy, that explains it

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Peanut President posted:

wow this place has shirts for ... WABASH???

NCAC represent. Seeing Hope on that list was also a what the gently caress are they doing there moment

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

howe_sam posted:

NCAC represent. Seeing Hope on that list was also a what the gently caress are they doing there moment

Hope...College?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Spaced God posted:

.... Right?

It generally means they intend to hire you back at some point. Depending on unemployment laws, it might also mean you aren't compelled to look for work every week to continue collecting unemployment etc.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

AsInHowe posted:

Hope...College?

Lots of Dutch Reformists up in here.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Mukaikubo posted:

I'm still in denial and telling myself the Fullcast and PAPN will come back someday rather than that group of people splitting off to the four winds, and that's probably the only way I'm going to be able to get through this 2 hour podcast series finale. loving Vox. :(

edit: Wait *what* is that "I don't know who that is" anecdote?! I missed that

As an argument about the Shutdown Fullcast being too insular and hard to get into, someone on the Vox corporate side of the table said "I don't know who that is" when he pointed to a picture of Nick Saban. I think it's around the 20 minute mark.

edit: Nanni found the picture, and knowing that it was in reference to promoting a show in Alabama makes it some just perfect "gently caress you."
https://twitter.com/celebrityhottub/status/1252958423668461568

Also, if that Lost in Translation reference is perfect.

Coco13 fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 22, 2020

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Spaced God posted:

.... Right?

Everyone furloughed was also offered a severance package, so at the very least they'd be fine with them walking. Reporting from the Washington Post makes it sound like they want to drastically reduce the national site operations since the regional sites are significantly more profitable

morestuff fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 22, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

oh gently caress yeah Detroit Titans get in

AND OOEY POOEY :toot:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Peanut President posted:

They have a lot of random schools from all over. I think partially because they had trouble getting bigger schools to give them rights early on but also because they make an effort to find ones with unique mascots and cool older logos.

Mukaikubo posted:

Also they've been pretty clear without explicitly saying so that they expect these to turn into massive layoffs even of the people who weren't furloughed, because they have zero confidence in Vox Media's situation improving at all.

Yeah I think in general there is a sense that Vox might be looking for an excuse to cut the parts of SBNation they actually have to spend money on, as opposed to the team sites that are pumping out tons of content and generating a ton of clicks for basically nothing. It also reinforces that the parent company doesn't really understand or value what they do (as Ryan and lots of other people have said, if you're trying to write about college football at all and don't understand the value of having Spencer Hall then why even bother) so why should they all sit around for three months not getting paid in hopes that their jobs might be there when they get back? I think all of them are actively looking for other work now, as they should be, so there's no guarantee they're going to be available whenever Vox decides to end the furlough, assuming they even want to bring people back.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

AsInHowe posted:

Hope...College?

I know, there are far better MIAA schools to choose from.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Haven't visited Deadspin since it shut down, but one of the mandates from the new Onion management seems to be slideshows. In 2020.

For example, The AV Club turned a tweet from James Gunn into a 56-page slideshow

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i'm surprised spencer made it through that longform debacle unscathed (even though he did everything you're supposed to do)

i guess the problem is that vox doesn't see (from a business side) the value of having banner society and college football coverage on a macro level and that shutdown fullcast in particular can't really pull down ad dollars, but i also can't really see the possibility of an independent ad-supported version of banner society, even if spencer could find a job somewhere else easily

morestuff posted:

Haven't visited Deadspin since it shut down, but one of the mandates from the new Onion management seems to be slideshows. In 2020.

For example, The AV Club turned a tweet from James Gunn into a 56-page slideshow

you can't make me click that

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

bleacher report owns AV club?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
All of their old inventory articles are slideshows now too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MourningView posted:

Yeah I think in general there is a sense that Vox might be looking for an excuse to cut the parts of SBNation they actually have to spend money on, as opposed to the team sites that are pumping out tons of content and generating a ton of clicks for basically nothing. It also reinforces that the parent company doesn't really understand or value what they do (as Ryan and lots of other people have said, if you're trying to write about college football at all and don't understand the value of having Spencer Hall then why even bother) so why should they all sit around for three months not getting paid in hopes that their jobs might be there when they get back? I think all of them are actively looking for other work now, as they should be, so there's no guarantee they're going to be available whenever Vox decides to end the furlough, assuming they even want to bring people back.

I think it’s also an editorial “how do we make these two parts into a cohesive whole website” which really hasn’t happened in...years? But that may be me being generous with their assessment.

SBN for a while has been team sites (which may now come with their own legal land mines, thanks to California) grafted onto a main page that also had MMA/wrestling and for some reason Outsports? And doing the sort of oddball video production that Jon Bois gives you?

Not saying that any of those things are bad, or that the site in that composition was bad, but it really seems like they’ve had a hard time putting all of that onto one PowerPoint slide for either upper management or new advertising clients. And if Vox on high is recommending furloughs, well, two birds with one stone.

I cannot also fathom that SBN main page only had one individual copy editor that whole time too :psyduck: somebody give that man an award.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I wonder how the Ringer is doing? I guess advertisers are probably tightening the purse strings for podcasts too? I assume that’s where the lion’s share of their revenue comes from.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

i'm surprised spencer made it through that longform debacle unscathed (even though he did everything you're supposed to do)

Nah he hosed up pretty bad there but he also took a pretty significant demotion right after it. He was editorial director of SBN as a whole at the time.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

General Dog posted:

I wonder how the Ringer is doing? I guess advertisers are probably tightening the purse strings for podcasts too? I assume that’s where the lion’s share of their revenue comes from.

they are getting bought by, i want to say, Spotify, because having 700 NBA podcasts is good for business but the Shutdown Fullcast is not.

also the name I nominated was Daystar Smallboy, who was in the I want to say 2017 or 2018 NOTY. he got bounced in R1 by someone with a Dr or Jr title (those always do well) and I wasn't happy about it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Spotify deal is already done afaik. I think most of their podcasts are pretty boring but they're a lot more successful than any of the Banner Society stuff was and get a way different level of advertiser.

I would not be that surprised if the written site eventually got dumped or drastically cut down though, it doesn't do super well in terms of traffic. Spotify obviously didn't buy the company for that so I'd be pretty nervous if I was one of the people there without a big podcast presence. I am really happy that it exists and people were getting paid to write things but it also always kinda felt like it existed mostly as a vanity thing for Simmons in the wake of grantland dying.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 22, 2020

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

it's gonna be weird if the two sports sites left standing after this are just run by two idiot Gen-Xers from Boston who started writing for that city's unique clientele and fell upwards into sustained success

and if the Fullcast (which I haven't listened to yet, because I want to be in the right place for it) is true, MAN the Vox/SBNation marriage was tilted towards Ezra and Yggy's side

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Troy Queef posted:

and if the Fullcast (which I haven't listened to yet, because I want to be in the right place for it) is true, MAN the Vox/SBNation marriage was tilted towards Ezra and Yggy's side

It seems like it is less about making money and more that Vox execs don't know who Nick Saban is, which is a problem.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

AsInHowe posted:

It seems like it is less about making money and more that Vox execs don't know who Nick Saban is, which is a problem.

again, those Vox execs, Matt, Yggy and co are so drat sheltered they could tell you chapter and verse who some random senator is but doesn't know poo poo about Nick Saban despite running a successful sports site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Troy Queef posted:

again, those Vox execs, Matt, Yggy and co are so drat sheltered they could tell you chapter and verse who some random senator is but doesn't know poo poo about Nick Saban despite running a successful sports site

The personification of lovely wonkery.