Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Soylent Yellow posted:

https://www.airgunmagazine.co.uk/features/air-cartridge-system-10-years-later/

This might be an interesting read for anyone interested. These were very popular in the 90s and early 2000s, but could be converted to fire live ammunition with varying degrees of success. Pretty much blanket banned with no compensation in 2003, something a lot of shooters are still understandably upset about today.
Yeah iirc the chamber was about .38", but tapered so that you couldn't do anything truly stupid like put a live 38 special in there, and the actual pellet was a .22, so to make them fire live ammunition you'd either have to:
bore the whole thing through to .38, which is bluntly terrifying, deadly, but about 3/1 on which party it's injurious to, or;
get some kind of odd centrefire .22 round and make an insert for it, which while it would work you're not going to be able to buy that kind of exotic cartridge from the guy at the pub, so you'd need an FAC anyway, or;
machine your own ammo and handload it, which if you've got all the kit to do that you could buy an 80% complete real handgun from the US (80% is considered 'block of metal' rather than 'certifiable firearm' there) and do the rest of the machining steps yourself, and as goddamnedtwisto said given the border reforms of the day it'd sail right through because it didn't smell of drugs or speak foreign.

The real problem with them is that they looked like bad boy revolvers and so scrotes would use them to mug people or rob newsagents, and that'd be better solved with some kind of DBS check on purchase to create a minor bar to entry rather than arbitrarily making some novelty airguns in the same category as surface to air missiles.

sebzilla posted:

Come on now, there's another 5% to be scooped up from the rump of the Lib Dems and then they'll be on... *checks calculator* 37%?!

poo poo.
Have they tried being as poo poo as the Tories but looking vaguely sad about it yet? That'll get another 5% from the soft tory base for sure.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Where did this theory that Starmer is 'forensic' come from? I'm bewildered.
After looking through lots of these and seeing the number of "Race of Defendant: African American; Race of Victim: Caucasian; Problem: Flawed Serology, Hair Analysis" cases, I think 'forensic' is a Latin word meaning 'useless poo poo that will windsock to the biases of the day'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
the main problem with bland candidates offering moderate reforms expressed through vague slogans is that people get so enthusiastic to vote for them that they are unable to control their emotional state while catching sight of their beloved candidate's name on the ballot paper, and slip into an expanded state of consciousness that leaves them unable to do anything but flail their hands wildly until an X is formed on one of the boxes adjacent but not touching as they cannot bear to get so close to their idol even on paper

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

people will see what they want to see anyway, the melts are seeing this guy as the forensic assassin

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Daily chart update

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Daily chart update

This looks weirdly optimistic and idgi, tbh.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

The real problem with them is that they looked like bad boy revolvers and so scrotes would use them to mug people or rob newsagents, and that'd be better solved with some kind of DBS check on purchase to create a minor bar to entry rather than arbitrarily making some novelty airguns in the same category as surface to air missiles..

See now it's actually easier to get a licence for rockets and explosives in this country than it is to get a license for a Section 5 firearm (in that you can easily get a license to store and sell quite large explosive devices from your local authority as long as they're display fireworks, and even the most extravagantly bangy stuff can be licensed and bought if you're a quarry or something, but it's impossible to legally own one of those airguns), so I'd say a surface-to-air-missile is actually in a lesser category. Probably won't be browsing for MANPADS* on ebay any time soon, though.

*Do your own jokes.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I suspect that a lot of it is "I don't want to win, I want to be right". But when I do it it's a virtue.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

ThomasPaine posted:

I think it's just taking a while for deaths to be counted. Every day up until now is probably still going to end up over 600. We also seem to have had a day that has ended up being a slightly anomalous peak that makes the decline look faster than it is.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/LabourList/status/1252955842736869377?s=19

It's kind of nice to hate Labour again.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Finally decorum has returned to the house of Parliament

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

To be fair, even when supporting Labour, it's not like we've ever shied away from hating the bland centrist melt sections. Even before we knew the full documented extent of their sabotage.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Watch the Tories come out in favor of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The article is rather more... nothing than it first appears.

quote:

The new Labour leadership has rejected the idea of introducing a universal basic income during the Covid-19 crisis, Keir Starmer’s spokesperson confirmed today.

Asked about the proposal following the Labour leader’s first PMQs this afternoon, a spokesperson said: “We agree that the Covid crisis has confirmed that the current social security system isn’t fit for purpose.”

Journalists were reminded that during the leadership election Starmer called for the implementation of a national income guarantee scheme to combat the economic impact of Covid-19.

It was also stressed that the opposition leader has expressed support for the emergency changes made by government to the Universal Credit system, such as increases in the standard allowance.

However, the spokesperson added: “Creating an entirely new social security system is unlikely to be possible during the crisis.”

This view has been advocated by experts such as former Ed Miliband adviser Torsten Bell, now head of the Resolution Foundation, who said UBI now would be “misguided given the pace of what is happening”.

Starmer’s spokesperson concluded: “But as we come out of the pandemic, we’ll be making arguments for a new settlement that is more simple, more effective and offers proper protecting to people.”

More than 170 MPs and peers called in March for UBI to be introduced by the government to “give everyone the financial support they need to provide for themselves and their families”.

Labour MPs supportive of UBI include former shadow Treasury team member Clive Lewis, who said: “Covid-19 has shone a spotlight on the frayed, tattered and neglected ‘safety net’ of welfare provision…

“Now, as we edge further into the challenges of the 21st century – where automation, climate collapse and pandemics are already upon us – it’s time build a solid floor under everyone. That’s something only a basic income can give.”

Jonathan Reynolds, recently appointed by Starmer as Labour’s new Shadow Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, is also known to be a supporter of UBI.

Last year, Labour’s election manifesto included the piloting of UBI in select places, with bids submitted from Liverpool and Sheffield among other areas.

Basically the current system is bad, it should be easier, but nothing too bold. Wouldn't want to get people too enthusiastic.

Can't even make bad suggestions with conviction, apparently.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm aware that I'm probably gonna get a chorus of "Well DUH" to the realisation I've just had, but the harping on about the exit strategy is appealing directly to his base, who care only about things going "back to normal" - Fubpees, melts who wank to the 2012 Olympics, big brains who believe a million dead Iraqis is a small price to pay for Sure Start, they all just want to go back to not even having to pretend to care about politics apart from putting the tick in the box once every few years without the effects of that tick being thrown in their face and making them feel bad.

The fact that History is happening is antithetical to their core belief that History has Ended, and they don't know how to compute that

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Josef bugman posted:

I suspect that a lot of it is "I don't want to win, I want to be right". But when I do it it's a virtue.

See also the countless articles that pour out of the centrist nest titled "we lost the election, but we won the argument"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Yeah the one thing everyone knows about crises is that it makes sweeping changes much harder

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's also definitely no way they could just make universal credit just open to everyone unconditionally and up the basic amount a whole bunch.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
if anyone wants a coronavirus silver lining

https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/1252952128131342336?s=20

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

See also the countless articles that pour out of the centrist nest titled "we lost the election, but we won the argument"

The Guardian was the worst for this.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1205963738681090048

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

XMNN posted:

https://twitter.com/hazcraig16/status/1252247660171583490?s=20

not sure why but I expected it to take a bit longer before the rightists decided actually polls don't matter after all

That seems to be the only thing those responsible for giving Biden the Democratic nomination have to say for themselves, as well. I'm sure it'll work out brilliantly like all their other plans have.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Ahh, back to the good old days of 2010-2015 where any criticism of the Tories from the left was met with "but your beloved Labour..."

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I'm sure it is all part of a fiendishly clever shtratedjeh

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

ThomasPaine posted:

It represents less than half the actual people dying so it's a worthless number. Hospital admissions, like testing, can be controlled to produce a desired outcome

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

crispix posted:

I'm sure it is all part of a fiendishly clever shtratedjeh

What is with the Janet Street-Porterism that I keep seeing here?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

HJB posted:

The Guardian was the worst for this.

Yes i believe i did say "the centrist nest"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Tarnop posted:

It represents less than half the actual people dying so it's a worthless number. Hospital admissions, like testing, can be controlled to produce a desired outcome

Yeah the UK official death curve at every stage has been matching italys despite always looking in reality like its going to be worse.
So I think theyr just fiddling the numbers, as long as its only as bad as Italy they think they can handle that bad PR.

I think in reality they can handle any amount of bad PR since there is no mechanism to stop them and none of our institutions actually work. At some point they may realise this and open the blood gates, I think some of them already have.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I'm in a couple of Corbyn/Bernie fb meme groups and I'm getting frustrated at the complete lack of willingness to do any retrospective criticism among many supporters. I posited that maybe intervening personally to save Watson from being ousted was a bad move, cue a choir of responses going "well it would have been bad optics!"

Lmao the labour left arent going to learn poo poo from all this

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Good to see the SNP reclaim their position as The Real Opposition (TM)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Where did this theory that Starmer is 'forensic' come from? I'm bewildered.

During the brexit withdrawal agreement stalemate Starmer took the lead on some stuff in the commons. So he was going through proposals and documents in this calm, measured, methodical lawyery way - highlighting things, explaining what they meant, asking for clarification and confirmation to be given later, that kind of thing

People were absolutely wild for it, it was that sensible adult West Wing energy minus any dramatic flair. Smart guy in a suit making rational arguments and people were swooning because at the end of the day that's all they want, a process wonk. The Tories were stepping up to dunk on him and he was all polite and accepting of their criticisms etc, and let me tell you people loved the decorum too. That's when they started really talking about wanting him for leader

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Jedit posted:

What is with the Janet Street-Porterism that I keep seeing here?

He drops that word into every third or so sentence and to me it is emblematic of the days of New Labour's tedious controlled language and NLP and ridiculous practiced body language and electability and focus groups and giving long, vapid speeches that convey gently caress all of substance. It would take me a very long time to explain exactly how gutted I am that this is what people want to lead the Labour party after 5 years of hope but I can't bring myself to do that so if it's okay I'll continue to just make fun of Keir here and there

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't really think the watson thing would have made much difference either way. Also to be honest the whole "he should have done x/y" is a kind of pointless exercise IMO because so much of corbyn's approach to things was driven by his pretty heavy inflexibility re: what he believed in. If you wanted a different outcome you'd need a different person, or to somehow eliminate the entire element of personal leadership from politics.

I am as scorched earth as ever re: anything that looks even vaguely like centrism but ultimately corbyn was the only thing on offer and combined with the way politics is structured across basically the entire democratic world, you weren't going to get a different outcome. So while I would definitely support anyone who suggested firing all counterrevolutonary elements into the sun, that doesn't really... mean much.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Coohoolin posted:

I'm in a couple of Corbyn/Bernie fb meme groups

lol

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

i mean yeah but how else you gonna keep tabs on the normies

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/22/french-study-suggests-smokers-at-lower-risk-of-getting-coronavirus

French researchers are planning to test nicotine patches on coronavirus patients and frontline health workers after a study suggested smokers may be much less at risk of contracting the virus.

The study at a major Paris hospital suggests a substance in tobacco – possibly nicotine – may be stopping patients who smoke from catching Covid-19. Clinical trials of nicotine patches are awaiting the approval of the country’s health authorities.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think that the next major vote for leader is going to come sooner than expected and probably return someone else.

This is going to get old real fast and there is only so much blue tick jacking off and not enough getting done that will activate folks. I think it's also that Starmer is not really very good at "politics". He likes the long and boring work, which is good tbh, but is also just very lacklustre even to the blue tick brigade.

It wouldn't surprise me if he stuck it out, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he collapsed like a damp cake within a year.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
so much for "well of course Italy got hit hard, they all smoke over there"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/22/french-study-suggests-smokers-at-lower-risk-of-getting-coronavirus

French researchers are planning to test nicotine patches on coronavirus patients and frontline health workers after a study suggested smokers may be much less at risk of contracting the virus.

The study at a major Paris hospital suggests a substance in tobacco – possibly nicotine – may be stopping patients who smoke from catching Covid-19. Clinical trials of nicotine patches are awaiting the approval of the country’s health authorities.

No virus has yet developed immunity to being drawn through burning leaves and then through cotton wool, going to the chemists right now for 20 Marlboro air filters.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

I think that the next major vote for leader is going to come sooner than expected and probably return someone else.

This is going to get old real fast and there is only so much blue tick jacking off and not enough getting done that will activate folks. I think it's also that Starmer is not really very good at "politics". He likes the long and boring work, which is good tbh, but is also just very lacklustre even to the blue tick brigade.

It wouldn't surprise me if he stuck it out, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he collapsed like a damp cake within a year.

I wonder about this but the main issue I think is finding someone to replace him, it would need to be someone who can rile up the left, justifiably criticize starmer without alienating the center, and ideally would be commited to rooting out the wreckers.

There are MPs who fit some of those roles but I'm not sure if any of them would stick their neck out.

E: Also i think I would rather just die of corona than smoke tbh.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I saw a couple of studies around the time it hit China and was just getting started in Italy positing that smokers might be less likely to get it due to the chemistry of their upper respiratory tract, but once they did have it they were some 14x more likely to progress to ARDS.

Nicotine patches don't seem like they'd change either of those either way but I guess we're throwing everything at the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No virus has yet developed immunity to being drawn through burning leaves and then through cotton wool,

But if it does get past this challenging obstacle, oh boy does it ever get rewarded with some especially welcoming lungs

Edit:
Goons knew