Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tankakern posted:

another alternative is a rooted phone with backup software, but that might be against the spirit of this thread
You can't (well shouldn't be able to) root your phone without wiping the data, so unless you've already rooted your phone that's not particularly any more useful than just telling people to use a different 2FA app that allows backups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
I use KeepAssXC with a long password and a yubikey HMAC-SPA something or other for the database, then keep all my passwords, TOTP keys, recovery keys and stuff in it.

Then I back up the encrypted database to my Google drive.

I'm bad at security.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

what about those usb security keys?

there are models that work with nfc for phones, too

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

The 2.5.4 update of Keep rear end caused my Mac to stop reading the Yubikey. The only fix I could find was "lol Reboot your Mac"

mystes
May 31, 2006

univbee posted:

What about them?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

mystes posted:

What about them?

they’re 2fa you don’t need an account for :shrug:

mystes
May 31, 2006

univbee posted:

Yeah I wish stuff actually supported u2f/fido2 but it doesn't.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I have a couple yubikeys and only like 3 things actually work with them, which is a shame because they’re way more convenient than digging a phone out of my pocket, opening an app, and picking the site from a menu

oh and with recent openssh versions you can configure key pairs to unlock via yubikey activation, need to try that out

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Progressive JPEG posted:

I have a couple yubikeys and only like 3 things actually work with them, which is a shame because they’re way more convenient than digging a phone out of my pocket, opening an app, and picking the site from a menu

oh and with recent openssh versions you can configure key pairs to unlock via yubikey activation, need to try that out

i just have my yubikey set up to hold a PGP keypair which i have SSH use as a SSH key

way overcomplicated but it works

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

univbee posted:

Yeah but you can't just use it for anything you want, only if it is supported. The list of accounts that support it isn't very long and it's mostly tech-ish stuff.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Buff Hardback posted:

i just have my yubikey set up to hold a PGP keypair which i have SSH use as a SSH key

Openssh has native support for fido/u2f now so it should get a bit simpler in the future.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Buff Hardback posted:

same, once you get it set up once it's pretty trivial and requires very little further janitoring

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Shame Boy posted:

same, once you get it set up once it's pretty trivial and requires very little further janitoring

combine that with keybase and i'm posting at the speed of encryption

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

univbee posted:

Buff Hardback posted:

I actually looked into this, and found that Yubico has an authenticator app that stores the seeds on the yubikey. I like this, I'll be getting one. (and then another one down the line to throw into the safe for when Things Happen.) Thanks.

mystes posted:

Yeah I wish stuff actually supported u2f/fido2 but it doesn't.

From what I can tell, you can use the authenticator like any other TOTP authenticator as well.

I'll report back when it arrives.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 21, 2020

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
https://decrypt.co/26033/dforce-lendfme-defi-hack-25m

I will never get tired of the schadenfreude of people losing money in cryptocurrency

quote:

DForce, a Chinese decentralized finance protocol, today lost $25 million worth of its customers’ cryptocurrency due to a well-known exploit of an Ethereum token

The money was drained this morning from the contracts of Lendf.Me, a lending protocol that’s part of dForce, a collection of DeFi protocols. The site for Lendf.Me is now offline and its smart contracts have been paused. The funds were sent to DeFi lending protocols Compound and Aave. Stani Kulechov, founder and CEO of Aave, told Decrypt that around $10 million of the funds were sent to his protocol.

mystes
May 31, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I actually looked into this, and found that Yubico has an authenticator app that stores the seeds on the yubikey. I like this, I'll be getting one. (and then another one down the line to throw into the safe for when Things Happen.) Thanks.

From what I can tell, you can use the authenticator like any other TOTP authenticator as well.

I'll report back when it arrives.
One theoretical problem with using something like a yubikey to do TOTP is that even if the secret never leaves the device, the time presumably has to be fed to it, so a malicious program could probably use the device to generate postdated TOTP codes which eliminates some of the advantages of TOTP.

I don't know how much this matters in practice (especially if you set a pin), but U2F/Fido 2 is much better in terms of stuff like this.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

ewiley posted:

https://decrypt.co/26033/dforce-lendfme-defi-hack-25m

I will never get tired of the schadenfreude of people losing money in cryptocurrency

yeah, that sounds like self-sabotage. let's create a service hoping it gets popular, then hack ourselves and steal the money so we have an excuse for actually closing shop and running away with the money

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

mystes posted:

One theoretical problem with using something like a yubikey to do TOTP is that even if the secret never leaves the device, the time presumably has to be fed to it, so a malicious program could probably use the device to generate postdated TOTP codes which eliminates some of the advantages of TOTP.

I don't know how much this matters in practice (especially if you set a pin), but U2F/Fido 2 is much better in terms of stuff like this.

You can set it to require touch if you’re really paranoid. That requires you to press the button to unlock and generate a code, so unless you can trick the person into repeatedly pressing the button, it’s not really feasible. Also if you’re worried about malicious software stealing the keys you probably have bigger issues and it’d be easier to just store the seed when it’s read in by piggy-backing the camera or something.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/internetofshit/status/1252639771610034176?s=19

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/jason_koebler/status/1252930862888484864?s=21

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

That's an interesting article, have mixed feelings about this section

quote:

In any case, the disclosure of these hacks is likely to reignite the debate over whether Apple is doing enough to secure the iPhone, and whether the company should make changes to iOS to allow defenders to be better at detecting and stopping attacks. Security researchers who focus on iOS have long asked Apple to allow them to look deeper into iOS code, and allow for special permissions for apps such as iVerify, that are designed to monitor hacks against the iPhone, but have limited capabilities as of today, due to Apple’s restrictions.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

The iOS defenders have logged on

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
"please break your security model for us so we can peddle useless antivirus solutions"

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Dan's a good dude, but the industry complaints really strikes me a lot as this from 15 years ago:

quote:

Security software vendor Symantec Corp. accused Microsoft Corp. on Wednesday of abusing its monopoly in deciding which security products can run on its upcoming operating system.

Symantec said Microsoft, which started selling its own security products in May, was deliberately withholding information needed to develop products that work on Windows Vista.

“Microsoft is using their dominant position to regulate what security can be provided on their system and how that security is provided,” said Rowan Trollope, Symantec’s vice president for consumer engineering. “Microsoft has regulated what choices are there: ‘You’re going to have our stuff no matter what.’ ”

Couldn't find the other articles about Symantec et al., complaining that Microsoft was going to give them APIs!!! instead of allowing them to install rootkits going forward, but I definitely remember those as far back as when XP SP2 was upon us.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1251395931351609347
good thread

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1251471091475681281

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

nice! a remote access server

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

huh, i had one of those, it definitely felt like a piece of crap. i am amazed at HOW MUCH that was the case

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i have had multiple instances of taking apart a vaguely smart product that i think couldn't possibly be anything that complex, finding serial headers or test points, connecting to them for shits and giggles and being presented with a full linux prompt

i think i posted that tp-link binary i found in here a while ago, which i was able to extract because they left a (not running, thankfully) telnet server program in the home directory with a password of like "admin" that made the whole thing super easy. i bet that binary blob had a bunch of vulns in it too since it was running literally everything from a single compiled program (the web interface, pairing, GPIO, everything) but i never got too far into taking it apart before getting bored

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
lol I have one of those

it's a later model that communicates with a base station that runs the IR blasters and I think the remote itself can bluetooth directly to compatible devices

the hub is on wifi so it can be updated remotely and I can also control devices with a phone app (very slowly and clumsily)

wonder what fresh new kinds of jank were added to support all this

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

haveblue posted:

lol I have one of those

it's a later model that communicates with a base station that runs the IR blasters and I think the remote itself can bluetooth directly to compatible devices

the hub is on wifi so it can be updated remotely and I can also control devices with a phone app (very slowly and clumsily)

wonder what fresh new kinds of jank were added to support all this

Security is compromises and if your attack vector involves compromising your remote control you're in a different tier than the rest of us.

Edit: don't listen to me

jre posted:

The iOS defenders have logged on

Lol as if they're not everyone who posts here.

Project zero finds a buck wild exploit on Android: Lol anroid
Zero user interaction exploit found on iOS:

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 22, 2020

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Volmarias posted:

You've missed the joke somewhat

quote:

make changes to iOS to allow defenders

quote:

make changes to iOS to allow defenders

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ya it was making the rounds a few days ago, my favourite part is the tweet staring at the telnet login screen and a surprise reply giving them the credentials

Volmarias posted:

Security is compromises and if your attack vector involves compromising your remote control you're in a different tier than the rest of us.

there was a good project zero blog earlier today: https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2020/04/you-wont-believe-what-this-one-line.html

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

jre posted:

You've missed the joke somewhat

:negative:

Thanks for explaining it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

extremely interesting, thank you

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

this delivered real hard

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

trogdor strikes again!

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Foone is goode.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

not that it excuses anything but that remote is like ten years old. i had to get rid of mine from the same era (ir only, though i have no doubt it was the same thing on the inside) when my operating system updated to beyond what logitech's software worked with.

having to touch their server to update my remote was and is straight bullshit.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

same, putting goatse on it and mailing it to the states was one of the best things i could've done with mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Midjack posted:

not that it excuses anything but that remote is like ten years old.

they were told at the time that what they were doing was stupid, because even ten years ago it was stupid