Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Invalido posted:

Are there any non-air die grinders that are any good?
Airless air chisels?
It's inefficient and increasingly archaic, but shop air is nice.
By far the most common reason for me to grab a hose is for blowing things clean. I'm thinking of getting a small compressor to keep at home mainly for that.
I very nearly bought a low noise (California air tools) compressor while I was in my apartment because not having an unlimited supply of air to blow stuff off is miserable. Fortunately I drug my feet long enough to get back into a house before I bought one. Now I'll be picking up a big compressor which will mostly just be used to blow stuff off and occasionally run my handful of air tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Invalido posted:

Airless air chisels?
By far the most common reason for me to grab a hose is for blowing things clean. I'm thinking of getting a small compressor to keep at home mainly for that.

Milwaukee has both an M12 and an M18 die grinder. Just from talking with the Milwaukee rep, the biggest problems are that the M12 eats batteries and doesn't have as much torque as an air grinder, and the M18 is big and awkward, especially with an "appropriately sized" battery. Apparently that comment means that the big one eats batteries too
As far as air chisels, the smaller, cordless, SDS-max rotary hammers will do the job, but I don't know how well or how conveniently

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

boxen posted:

Are we to the point where the standard advice for a given power tool is "buy cordless unless you specifically need corded for some reason?"

Yes, becasue:

StormDrain posted:

changing ecosystems

is pretty much dead if you stick with one of the major brands. None of the big brands would be brain-dead enough to come out with a new battery/tool system that is wholly incompatible with their existing lineup at this point. They're finding new ways to solve problems that weren't considered when they first designed their various battery systems. Dewalt has that Flexvolt setup that acts like an 18V battery in some tools and a 60V in tools that can handle it. Milwaukee came out with a new set of M18 packs that uses 21700s instead of 18650s, and if you own certain tools where these new larger packs don't fit, they'll treat it as a warranty issue and provide replacement parts.

And on the "dead batteries" aspect, the only time I've run into battery life as an issue is my combination of a M18 weedwhacker and M18 yard blower. They came with a 9AH battery and I'd end up using one, waiting for the battery to charge, then using the other. I finally bit the bullet and got one of the new 21700 8AH packs to go with it and that problem is solved. I save my 1.5-2AH compact packs for my drills and impacts and pretty much never drain them on a single job.

I'm at the point where my power tool purchasing falls into these categories:
*Expected to use it so rarely that reliability and longevity are not concerns: corded, either cheap-rear end name brand or mid tier HF
*Expected to use it more often than that but weight and/or cost are concerns: M12
*Need more power: M18
*One of the few things that electricity can't beat: Air (air hammer, die grinder, that's about it).

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

the spyder posted:

While not a worm drive, this saw is awesome. https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XSR01Z

Can confirm, I picked this up on a screaming Home Depot clearance deal (someone must have bought it online, realized it was too... much?, then returned it). This thing has cut most things I’ve thrown at it, though the hook is a little iffy for a saw its size.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Invalido posted:

Airless air chisels?

I've got a dewalt corded thats pretty good. I've had it for several years now. Admittedly, I don't use it that often, but its done everything I need it to do.

Just make sure to spend the money on a good cutting/grinding tools for it. And make sure they're rated for the RPM.

I've got some good quality carbides that came from fastenal. Man do they ever eat metal fast as gently caress.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

bolind posted:

This guy just showed up. Will report back when I’ve pumped more than a Pilates ball.

Trip report: went and put a bit of air in the car tires before an upcoming road trip. Worked beautifully!

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

bolind posted:

Trip report: went and put a bit of air in the car tires before an upcoming road trip. Worked beautifully!

Very cool, I've been waiting for Makita to come out with an LXT one. Guess it's going on my wishlist now.

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/DMP180ZX

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

bolind posted:

Only a bit? Deflate a tire completely and then fill it up. Report.

please

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Just got an email about Milwaukee ditching their M28 system for MX FUEL :kingsley:
I guess that answers the question about battery capacity for heavy drawing tools. Shame that they don't seem to be compatible with M28 or M18 tools though. If Dewalt had a better 12v system and more automotive/metalworking tools, I'd consider switching over to get those big batteries

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

What specifically is the DeWalt line missing?

True about the 12v stuff....I have Milwaukee for that but DeWalt everything else. Their flexvolt stuff is real cool IMO.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Really, it's the ratchets, rattleguns, and the rest of 12v line that keep me in the tool system. The dual power, charger tools are also really nice to have around

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

wesleywillis posted:

Only a bit? Deflate a tire completely and then fill it up. Report.

please

I have the dewalt one and it's fantastic. I cannot recommend it enough. It's the kind of tool that's absurdly expensive for what it is but I would instantly buy another tomorrow if mine broke and I've used it way more than I would have expected.

Anyway, I've used it to fill up a couple van tires (although not all the way, from 10psi to ~45 iirc). Here's the project farm on it though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkxpuzYggd4&t=420s Milwaukee is faster for regular car tires but seems like it's worse for truck tires. Also, Milwaukee is their m12 vs dewalt being the 20v.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

The smaller of the two MX batteries has the same capacity as the largest flexvolt (and M18). The Bigger one is double the size and weighs 10lbs. That'll do, I suppose.

ThinkFear fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 22, 2020

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Project Farm is a hero.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:
Dewalt makes a wormdrive cordless:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/303624517

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MX is mostly marketed as a replacement for large tools that are still has powered. Serious interest from emergency services and the like... Or at least there was before this shitshow happened.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

slidebite posted:

MX is mostly marketed as a replacement for large tools that are still has powered. Serious interest from emergency services and the like... Or at least there was before this shitshow happened.

That makes sense. I only saw a portable power source, a rotary hammer, and lights, so it looked like it was just a bigger version of M18 to complete with the 40v and 60v tools from Ryobi and Dewalt

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I saw someone mention crows feet over in the "I did a thing today" thread. I know what crows feet are, but what are their general use? I can see using one with a torque wrench when you can't use a socket.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
They're for fasteners in hard to reach locations where a socket can't fit or something is sticking through, like a nut on a long bolt or hydraulic fitting.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I bought some when working on hydraulics. You can't use sockets on hoses and sometimes don't have the room for a wrench. Crows feet let me get to the end of the hose, then run an extension and turn a wrench 6-8" further back. They also let me get in between ports on a manifold so I could tighten hoses in the center without having to pull all the other hoses off from the end.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yep. You won't touch them the vast majority of the time, but when you need one? Can't beat it.

I've also used one when I had to tighten a large jam nut on a suspension link without enough access to just use a cheater bar on an adjustable wrench.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
And half the time when you think it's just what you need the drat thing won't fit anyway and you're back to turning a bolt 1/12 of a turn.

Maybe it's just me.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

StormDrain posted:

And half the time when you think it's just what you need the drat thing won't fit anyway and you're back to turning a bolt 1/12 of a turn.

Maybe it's just me.

put wrench on, turn until clunk
flip wrench upside down, turn until clunk

It's the worst.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

meatpimp posted:

It's the worst.

Also it's fine threaded, greasy, you can't see it, and it takes 30 seconds of concentration to get your arm threaded through the right spot.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
...and a raw edge of sheet metal is right at your knuckles on both extremes of movement

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

StormDrain posted:

Also it's fine threaded, greasy, you can't see it, and it takes 30 seconds of concentration to get your arm threaded through the right spot.

mod sassinator posted:

...and a raw edge of sheet metal is right at your knuckles on both extremes of movement

And you're cursing the stupid motherfucker that designed it without thinking about how to service it all the while.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

And at some point the action of removing the wrench to flip and tighten actually undoes the fastener more than the past half a dozen tightenings and gently caress everything I need a shower beer.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Or when the nut slackens and you go to spin it with your fingers and it turns out the bolt is spinning too and you can't get a wrench on it because the only one that fits is in your other hand and after you figure out a solution, then the grime and rust in the threads overcomes your grip.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I sort of want to see someone design a machine or mechanical puzzle of some sort where everything is ALMOST easy to access, things where you can turn a nut JUUUUUST under 1/12 of a turn, or you can see a bolt but not get a wrench to it, etc.

Edit: And no, I don't mean "lol just buy an Audi" or something.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Wasabi the J posted:

Or when the nut slackens and you go to spin it with your fingers and it turns out the bolt is spinning too and you can't get a wrench on it because the only one that fits is in your other hand and after you figure out a solution, then the grime and rust in the threads overcomes your grip.

Have you been watching me work on my old piece of poo poo? I have just air hammered out most of the bolts at this point.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

boxen posted:

I sort of want to see someone design a machine or mechanical puzzle of some sort where everything is ALMOST easy to access, things where you can turn a nut JUUUUUST under 1/12 of a turn, or you can see a bolt but not get a wrench to it, etc.

Haha an escape room from hell, here's an old car... once it fires up you can leave.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

mod sassinator posted:

Haha an escape room from hell, here's an old car... once it fires up you can leave.

Its a 1981 Chevette that was used as a rural mail carrier's work vehicle in Minnesota, and they weren't good at driving stick.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

boxen posted:

Its a 1981 Chevette that was used as a rural mail carrier's work vehicle in Minnesota, and they weren't good at driving stick.

You're an absolute monster.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

coupedeville posted:

You're an absolute monster.

Literally a car we had as a kid, except my dad drives stick just fine.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

boxen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tjMDbS2nz0

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've solved that puzzle and while I think you're on the right track I believe it's less sadistic than boxen wants.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

boxen posted:

Literally a car we had as a kid, except my dad drives stick just fine.

Heh, we had 2 stick chevettes when I was growing up. How were the floorpans?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

re: angle grinders ... what size is best for general usage? I think I heard 4.5-5 at some point, but want to make sure I'm looking in the right direction.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

In general, yes. Something that happens that many don't think of is that in addition to a 6+ grinder being physically larger to hold, the larger wheel can sometimes become an encumbrance if you need to reach into or work around something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

Heh, we had 2 stick chevettes when I was growing up. How were the floorpans?

Lightweight and airy.