Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
The a7 iii, s1, z6, and fp are all ~24mp, not a significant difference. If the dynamic range and low light performance are comparable to the competition it will probably do well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Old rear end a7s ii is only 12MP but gets usable images up to ISO 102400. The video at ISO 51200 is still incredible.

Good high ISO also lets you get away with just carrying f/4 across your range instead of breaking your back over heavy f/2.8 if moving around is involved.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My only reservation about 20MP is the ability to recompose in post. Or deal with wildlife that is always too far away.

The bonkers 50MP+ bodies that are starting to become normal let you throw away an absurd amount of pixels and still get something that could be printed large. Granted it's not a magic bullet, you eventually run into resolution limits of the glass or AF but at least the potential is there.

Some of the fuzzy critters crops from my 80d are well under 10 megapixels and it's painful.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The R6 is probably going to be more video-centric.

Thom12255 posted:

A bit disappointed if the R6 leaks are true and it is just a 20mp sensor, less than my 6D MK2 I was hoping to replace it with (and 0.2 less than the original 6D!). With Sony throwing three times as many megapixels out there in their cameras right now it still seems like Canon is a bit behind.

Ummm... given the R5 is all but confirmed with 45MP and there's a high MP R coming, plus Canon's new APS-C being 32MP, I dont think Canon are being left behind in the slightest in a megapixel fight

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Anyone here use Magic Lantern for their older Canon bodies? I've recently inherited a 50D and I'm wondering if it's worth installing... It's it easy to revert to the stock firmware if this doesnt work out?

Flashing over firmware always gives me the heebies I don't know why...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You're not flashing anything. You take the SD card with the magic lantern software out and the camera goes back to stock.

ML can be picky about the version of canon's software on the camera, so yo may have to use canon's official update tool to get things in order.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

xzzy posted:

You're not flashing anything. You take the SD card with the magic lantern software out and the camera goes back to stock.

ML can be picky about the version of canon's software on the camera, so yo may have to use canon's official update tool to get things in order.

Thanks for the reply, I should have done some reading first, I found some of that info in their FAQ...

Very new to this thing. I should perhaps concentrate on taking photos instead of screwing with firmware on an old camera.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nah it's a hobby with lots of variables to play with. Do whatever seems fun at that particular moment.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Anyone know if there is a way to stop my external flash from being in HSS every time I switch my camera/flash back on. I need to use first curtain sync and I keep forgetting to switch it. Not even sure if its a camera or a flash thing.

Canon 80D + Godox AD200Pro + Godox X1T-C

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
gently caress's sake, canon, I switch to Sony last year and now you drop this on us?

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/explore/product-showcases/cameras-and-lenses/eos-r5

12fps mechanical / 20fps silent
Internal 8K raw and 4K 120fps 10-bit 4:2:2
IBIS
Face, head, and eye AF
Rumored ~45MP

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The specs are awesome but it's worthless news without the price tag or any review units. 8k in a body that small is loving alien technology so I'm still waiting to hear what the catch is going to be.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 21, 2020

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Probably $4k and the catch is going to be heat buildup most probably.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Record limit of 5 minutes

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The 8K recording will be a novelty but it doesn't matter because 'people who should shoot 8K' and 'people who should use a camera that isn't a dedicated movie camera' doesn't overlap. The importance of even a modest 8K capability almost certainly means a practical 4K capability.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

dakana posted:

gently caress's sake, canon, I switch to Sony last year and now you drop this on us?

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/explore/product-showcases/cameras-and-lenses/eos-r5

12fps mechanical / 20fps silent
Internal 8K raw and 4K 120fps 10-bit 4:2:2
IBIS
Face, head, and eye AF
Rumored ~45MP
Your fault for lack of faith.

And yeah, R5 seems like a bitch slap at the whole industry. The R6, too, from rumors. If it's just a 4k limit and lower res it'll be the camera to get. More than enough to justify some of the bookoo lenses we've seen.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

xzzy posted:

The specs are awesome but it's worthless news without the price tag or any review units. 8k in a body that small is loving alien technology so I'm still waiting to hear what the catch is going to be.

8x crop for 8k video.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
They confirmed that there is no crop for the 8k or 4K video, and that DPAF works in all the 8k and 4K video modes

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

President Beep posted:

8x crop for 8k video.

The center of the 8x crop being 8k would make the whole sensor ~2000 megapixels, pretty impressive.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hopefully it comes with a pair of thermal gloves made out of tiles they used on the space shuttle because that thing is gonna be a furnace when recording 8k.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I really really really want the R6 to be good (and sub $3000) - I just want a good modern stills camera that competes with Sony. I've been holding off switching from Canon to Sony in the hopes Canon can come back on top.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I was pretty dead set on switching to Sony at some point (lol virus, gonna now shoot my 60D til I die) but then I actually used an a6500 and A72 and found them so physically uncomfortable to use it soured me. I think the industrial design is great (though worse in person, esp on the APSC cameras) but it’s so ergonomically bullshit.

I won’t be getting an R5 or R6 any time soon but it’s nice to imagine that i hypothetically could.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The M6ii had relatively soft full-width 4K with DPAF. Usable, but not oversampled like contemporary Sony or Fuji 4K. The 1080p video from the camera looks great though. If the R5 has baseline full-width 8K, then surely the 4K will be oversampled...

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I'm really looking forward to hopefully getting the R5 whenever things return to some semblance of normal. The camera I've wanted for the past two years finally exists.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I still think I'll go R6 over an R5. The price difference is probably good 2 RF lenses.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Has canon started putting better sensors in the low-end cameras? I'm thinking about replacing my t2i/550D with a t7i/800D if it has more usable iso range.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, every generation gets a sensor that's been improved in some way. dxomark.com is where you go to look up stuff like that.

It's hard to directly compare the 550D and 800D on the site because the reviews are 7 years apart and it looks like their format changed, the 550D "review" is extremely bare bones.

But they suggest the 550D has better dynamic range so if that's all you care about you may not like the 800D.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The only thing I can find on there for the 800D is just a barebones spec page. Don't see a review for that one on there.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Dpreview changed studio scenes changed since then too, but some cameras were shot in both scenes.

The old is here and the new one is here.

If nothing else you can download the raw samples.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Fools Infinite posted:

Dpreview changed studio scenes changed since then too, but some cameras were shot in both scenes.

The old is here and the new one is here.

If nothing else you can download the raw samples.

Ok doesn't look like there's enough improvement to be worth swapping models. I'll stick with the 550D for a while longer.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Good enough for toe bean pics

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
Canon just released this today:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/eos-webcam-utility/

Software to make most of the EOS cameras into Webcams. So you can have the best stream in Teams.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Thomamelas posted:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/eos-webcam-utility/

Software to make most of the EOS cameras into Webcams. So you can have the best stream in Teams.
It seems to work on my 5DSR. It's pretty basic at the moment: it's just a background driver so there no gui (all settings need to done on the body), no audio, it's only 1024x576 (so sub 720P) and I don't get any autofocus. That said it seems to work in OBS/WebEx/Skype.

Even if the resolution is in theory lower than my real webcam, it's quality blows it out of the water; a respectable ISO performance trumps pixels.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Thomamelas posted:

Anyone know if the T6s works with it? It's not listed... I have a UK 760D (US T6s) that would be great to use.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

jarlywarly posted:

Anyone know if the T6s works with it? It's not listed... I have a UK 760D (US T6s) that would be great to use.

guess i could just try it and stop being a lazy rear end in a top hat (it's all the same download)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

If your camera doesn't work and you were really desperate, there's always the option to kludge together EOS tethering app + OBS Studio.

Use the EOS Utility Live Tether app, turn on the live view preview
Setup OBS to screen capture the relevant area of your screen
Turn on OBS VirtualCam to broadcast your capture as a webcam device

It's not the easiest solution and you need to have enough monitor real estate to have room to leave the tethering app running (you can minimise OBS).

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Pablo Bluth posted:

It seems to work on my 5DSR. It's pretty basic at the moment: it's just a background driver so there no gui (all settings need to done on the body), no audio, it's only 1024x576 (so sub 720P) and I don't get any autofocus. That said it seems to work in OBS/WebEx/Skype.

Even if the resolution is in theory lower than my real webcam, it's quality blows it out of the water; a respectable ISO performance trumps pixels.

What program were you using to record? My 6d Mk2 with the 50mm f/1.8 STM attached to it was autofocusing with OBS Studio and was picking up audio.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Thom12255 posted:

What program were you using to record? My 6d Mk2 with the 50mm f/1.8 STM attached to it was autofocusing with OBS Studio and was picking up audio.

It might be the camera rather then the software

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

All of them. It's not that there's an audio track that's silent, the utility isn't even creating an audio device, just a video one. It's certainly a camera thing, with the hardware/firmware not routing audio over the USB protocol. At the end of the day, it's was never intended for this purpose hence the lack of audio and relatively low resolution. Autofocus is only likely to work on cameras with their dual-pixel sensors.

I do have a HDMI capture device but no camera that puts out a clean picture!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Hi Canon thread - looking for a bit of lens advice. I have been watching the mirrorless stuff and I have been a bit gun-shy on making a choice so instead of waiting longer I decided to take the original suggestion offered forever ago which is buy a full frame body used for cheap. I am coming from a Rebel T5i and picked up a nice, low shutter count (~4400) 5D Mk II for $500. I have just the 50mm 1.8 that fits and I want to add a 24-70. This is purely for hobby shooting. I will mainly be doing portraits, landscape, and pictures of cars.

There was a local used lens that was a Tamron 24-70 F2.8 that was $500 I should have jumped on right away but I was slow to react and missed out on it. There are some decent priced Canon 24-70 F4 L lenses that are pretty close in price available now. My question is will I be bummed out with the F4 lens compared to a 2.8? I know with the lower ISO and "bad" auto-focus of the Mark II the 2.8 would tend to be better for capturing a quicker focus, should I hold out and wait for something else like the Tamron 2,8 to pop up? Or is there a place online that I should be looking for a used/refurb unit that is around the $600 mark.

Ultimately I see this as my next step into taking photography a bit more seriously and this will be a step towards an eventual high end investment into a mirrorless system. I figure at what I am paying for on the used stuff it won't lose much value at all over the next while and if buying the better lens makes more sense now then I will make the investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
If you’re considering an f/4 zoom you might want to check out the 24-105 as well. Well regarded lens that can be had for ~$400. I really like mine.